Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Server

Options
  • 26-09-2012 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hi,
    Was looking at getting a small home server for backing up file etc. Budget is around 500 max. I don't know much about them so was hoping for some help here.
    Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

If its just file backup you're looking for then would a NAS do?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Craig B

If its just file backup you're looking for then would a NAS do?

File backup and sharing. Basically like another hard drive but usable from laptops,tablets and the like. If you think a NAS would do then could ya recommend one? I was thinking I'd need 2x2TB Green Drives and a small SSD for windows home server.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

Sounds like a NAS would be ideal. I personally haven't used one but someone else might be able to recommend one for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Craig B

Sounds like a NAS would be ideal. I personally haven't used one but someone else might be able to recommend one for you.

Ok thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Better than a dedicated NAS but can provide all the functionality of a NAS:

http://www.ebuyer.com/281915-hp-proliant-turion-ii-n40l-microserver-100-cashback-658553-421

Also if your not Linux literate then it would be a good place to get some experience :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

For what you are talking about a NAS is probably the best and easiest option to deal with and setup. The synology 212j is a good out of the box setup with an easy to use interface.

2x2tb and this from dabs will set you back just over Eur400. I have windows home server also at home and again it is very easy to setup and use. Only got it as I had an old pc lying around and thought I might as well put it to good use.

Im more interested in the hardware side of things so I just want to press a button or two and let the software worry about the rest. Thats why any of those linux setups would have me pulling my hair out. I think these synology NAS systems are easy to use and with capacity for 6tb in the one above that should be enough for any home setup.

Advertisement