Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training Plan for first season racing

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Opera_Leonardo

Fair play Slo. You may need to revise your name next yr to not so Slo. I didn't get logged in during the summer but your thread has inspired/motivated me during the season. I didn't set any goals really. I just wanted to compete & not make a show of myself in the Donegal 3 day. It took me a few races to get up to speed.

Results for inter club league went ok 2nd, 3rd (should have won both), 4th, two 8th's. Managed a win in local triathlon, I done the cycle another lad done the run. Got a 2nd and a 3rd in open races. A few other races I went in breaks and busted myself so didn't have anything left for the finish.

Really enjoyed the experience (well now anyway) and being able to compete with the lads that have been at it for years. Just had a week off after the season but much the same as yourself really want another run out. An hour on the trainer last night has whet my appetite!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭casion3

Are you doing a diary for 2014, I enjoyed 2013 exploits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

casion3 wrote: »
    Are you doing a diary for 2014, I enjoyed 2013 exploits

No, I've become too much of a cycling snob now!
    I'm WAAAAAAAAAY to good for a training diary!

As an update:
    The winter went mediocre. We had another baby in September so every session is done with the kiddies in mind. This meant a lot of bed time turbo sessions and a some 5am road sessions. I probably average about 4 hours per week which is paltry but it was all I could do.
    It was enough to get me 4th place in Carrick so add that 5 points to the 4 I got in Killmallock in the last race of last year and I'm up to 9 points. If I'm not careful I'll be up in A3 getting dizzy from all the beatings!

I am going to try Fermoy and Visit Nenagh Classic in the next 2 weeks and since I like both circuits I hope to get something out of them. If not no worries though because I'm really enjoying racing now since I'm that bit fitter.

I'm not doling out advice here but one thing that really worked for me was spend a lot of time deciding your goals, make them realisitc and challenging and then bang, don't let anything stop you. Last year my aim was to score one point - i got 4 in the last race. This year my aim is get promoted in the front end of the season, get comfortable in an A3 bunch and be close to the business end of on A3 race before end of season. Modest but challenging.

I go to work at 8am and am back around 6pm, I have 2 kids under 2 and a fairly understanding OH. This means improving my racing is a challenge but doable. The problem for me is that racing is addictive and I don't say that lightly - I can't get enough of it, it's like heroine on carbon!

Slo

Advertisement