Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night saver meter?

Options
  • 26-09-2012 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hello,
    Do you offer a night saver rate for appliances used after say 7pm?
    Regards
    David

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi david4791,

Our ValueSaver NightSaver price plan offers a reduced night time price, giving you a 49.5% reduction on the day price. The day unit rate and daily standing charge increase, meaning that this price plan is only beneficial to customers who use at least 22% of total electricity usage within the NightSaver night time hours (see below) where you have an average annual electricity usage of 5,300kWhs. This equates to about 14 - 15 units for every 24hr period, so if you use 3 units at the night rate it would be worth going ahead with it. (If you're not sure what would use up that amount of units, our Appliance Calculator may be of help. See also the following section on our website: What is one unit?).

• NightSaver DAY hours: 08:00am - 23:00pm (GMT) NightSaver NIGHT hours: 23:00pm - 08:00am (wintertime);
    • NightSaver DAY hours: 09:00am - midnight NightSaver NIGHT hours: Midnight - 09:00am (summertime)
    Just for info: wintertime comes into effect on Sunday 28th October this year (when the clocks change).

This meter is free to install, but bear in mind that there is a charge if you decide to revert to a single-tariff (24hr) meter.

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭david4791

Thanks for the response, I didnt realise the night hours started so late. I was planning on using dishwasher and wash machine after 8pm in the evening, based on your hours it would be viable. It would be unwise to have appliances on whilst sleeping.
    Regards
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭roxana

Hi David, I was actually looking for off peak hours and finally found it ;) thanks!
    problem is that when I'm turning on the heaters (storage) the light for night saver is red at midnight, not 11pm. I would like to know how to setup a clock in small heaters in the bedrooms please.
    That is the heater I have
    dscf0585.jpg

Hi roxana,
    roxana wrote:
    problem is that when I'm turning on the heaters (storage) the light for night saver is red at midnight, not 11pm.

The correct time for the nightsaver to activate is actually midnight, so all's ok there - it will change to 11pm when the clocks go back an hour on October 28th.
    roxana wrote:
    I would like to know how to setup a clock in small heaters in the bedrooms please.

Are these small heaters part of the night storage system? Or are they standalone heaters? If the latter, a simple plug-in timer should do the trick (example search on Amazon); we also have advanced plug-in timers on our online store designed specifically for electric heaters.

If the heaters in question are storage heaters, then I could only recommend consulting an electrician with regards to customizing the times the individual heaters trigger, as, as far as I'm aware, it would involve modifying the wiring. You might also consider posing this question in the Electrical forum.

Hope this helps,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

I rang Electric Ireland last week about disabling my Night saver meter and was told that the standard daytime rate was the same as other Electric Ireland Price Plans. However, the comments in this thread dispute this.

I was also told that it would take 15 years to actually cover the cost of disabling the meter as it is approximately €180 euro to do so.

What is correct?

• Advertisement

Hi Arnold Layne,

The day unit rate for customers on a standard 24hr meter is €0.1699 (or €0.1928 incl. VAT). The day unit rate for customers on our nightsaver tariff is €0.1815 (or €0.2060 incl. VAT). For further information see the price plan section of our website, where all our rates can be found (click into 'more details'). Our apologies if you were misinformed on this point.
    I was also told that it would take 15 years to actually cover the cost of disabling the meter

This is dependent on your usage patterns. If you generally don't avail of the cheaper off-peak unit rate (€0.897, or €0.1018 incl. VAT), it's more expensive to have a nightsaver meter installed, as you have to factor in the increased day rate and standing charge. However, if you use in the region of 3 or 4 units in that period, these increases can be offset (and a saving made), and if you use only slightly less, then the difference in the two tariffs is minimal (a few cents a day). On this basis, it may take up to 15 years, but I would say closer to 10 (assuming the minimal difference amounts to something like 6c or 7c per day).

Hope this helps clear things up.

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Thanks David,

Is it possible to get the Night Saver Meter disabled instead of removed?

If so, is there a difference in the price?

Hi Arnold Layne,

Unfortunately not. A technician would need to come out to adjust the meter (if it is digital) or replace it (if it is the older 'analogue' style meter), and the charge for that is the same. See here for the current charges.

Previously the same charge was in place to install the nightsaver meter, but this was removed so as to encourage customers to avail of the cheaper off-peak usage rates.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Frainc

Hi, what should happen if the nightsaver isn't turning on at the right time. For example in my apartment, the nightsaver clicks on at 6.30 every morning and turns off sometime around lunch. It appears to be working perfectly but basically it's not at the correct time. Is that normal?

Hi Frainc,

Thanks for your post.
    Frainc wrote:
    the nightsaver clicks on at 6.30 every morning and turns off sometime around lunch... Is that normal?

No, this would need to be corrected for you. Generally, if the Nightsaver clock is out by 2hrs or more, we would send out a technician to adjust it.

The correct operative hours for the night-time rate at the moment are midnight to 9am the following morning.

If you would like us to investigate this for you please feel free to send us your account details by private message.

Thanks,
    David

• Advertisement
Advertisement