Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underpowered electric power hose

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

dont have one but i would have thought it would show up on a L-N test
    when ive had a similar network connection fault it showed up on L-E test a couple of times i checked reading
    heater and voltage tester might be be better alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

M cebee wrote: »
    dont have one but i would have thought it would show up on a L-N test
    when ive had a similar network connection fault it showed up on L-E test a couple of times i checked reading
    heater and voltage tester might be be better alright

The main reason I would use a heater or similar, is because the 1.8kw pump in the washer would present a load similar to a shower at the instant of start up, and this will pull the voltage down on a long run of cable. If the motor does not quickly get running, this high current will be sustained.

And as the OP said it is not running up to speed, and is tripping its own overload, it is taking a current higher than its own normal running current, all while the voltage is down to 150v with this load.

So a fixed 2kw load will instantly tell what the voltage is at the shed, before searching for a bad connection. We know the washer worked in the shed before, but it may not be running as well as it used to, but is not noticed on a circuit that can maintain 220 to 230v under its starting loading.

So a test with a kettle or heater taking only a few seconds, will tell how the voltage is with 9 amps on it, and indicate if a search is required for bad connections, instead of doing the search first. And if a search for connections is required, the loaded circuit can facilitate this.

If it is a 25 or 30 meter run of 4sq, we would expect that to power the washer ok, indicating a connection problem, but still, starting with simple quick tests first would be my own method anyway.

Advertisement