Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ebooks ?

Options
  • 26-09-2012 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

hello i saw that on the pirate bay there are ebooks to download i was wondering is this legal ? and would these work on a kindle ? or has anyone got these on their devices ? please share :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

"the pirate bay" - The clue is in the name...

Here is a collection of legally free e-books, including kindle e-books:

http://www.gutenberg.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ron Burgundy !

are the ones on the pirate bay even compatible with kindles though i'd imagine amazon would have blocks on those sort of things wouldn't they ? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18 joker jonboy

are the ones on the pirate bay even compatible with kindles though i'd imagine amazon would have blocks on those sort of things wouldn't they ? :P
    any file that ends in mobi is compatible with kindle just drag and drop onto device

calibre is good tool for converting books to mobi I use it for converting pdfs

and do they end up in the cloud too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 joker jonboy

and do they end up in the cloud too ?
    yep you can upload them to cloud on pc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭nedd

email any mobi file to your kindle email address and they will be on the Amazon cloud. download them over wifi onto your kindle.

unless the book your looking for is out of copyright then if you get it without paying it's illegal.

that said, if you do get some out of copyright books then calibre is the best application ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Bellu

maybe this list of FREE ebooks worth a reading: http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Free_eBooks

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ecarg

Calibre is a very useful ebook manager which can be used to convert various ebook formats to kindle's mobi format, and then can be sent to device (kindle) via calibre. If you have 'shared' books from various sources this tool is fantastic for transferring the books to your kindle. I've had no problems so far using it. If you're looking for free books, check Amazon's list of top 100 free Kindle books each week, there's bound to be a few of interest now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭AlarmBelle

I think only amazon bought books will work on kindle. May be wrong

If you use Calibre you can transfer ebooks from anywhere onto kindle. I've been using this method since I bought my Kindle last year.

• Advertisement

I know it's illegal but for example if you downloaded a book like harry potter off of tpb and used calibre to convert it it would work ? :P and would the books off of calibre be stored in the cloud ? :P

It will convert it, but it won't be saved in the cloud, just on your laptop, pc , external hard-drive, or where-ever you backup your files. Amazon will not know that you posess the file. You can't find every book on tpb but, to be honest, having to buy one book in ten saves a fortune, plus you can try authors you otherwise might not have bought.

Yeah I spend a fortune on books so I thought it might be worth getting a kindle so I can save money on books cand decide between the paperwhite and the touch :P

Plus, consider the shelf space it saves :) I don't know what the paperwhite is like, but the e-ink of the touch or original kindle is so easy on the eye. Love that you can change the font to suit your taste.

Yeah I had the kindle keyboard but it broke so I'm looking for a new one :P

Advertisement