Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

closing credit card

Options
  • 26-09-2012 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi Just been onto card services to close my credit card as a result of the charges your bringing in on current accounts in november, am moving my current account, to another bank too :)

The lady says that it’s up to me to cancel anywhere where this card is used to renew stuff, i.e. Netflix toll roads etc. as she says you will still honour these payments!!!!

Why the hell would you be honouring payments on an account that I am closing , won’t even be banking with you. Can you explain why you would pay someone after I tell you to close the account?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi harolds57,

Direct debits/subscriptions on credit cards are an agreement between the customer and the merchant, we are the third party payment centre. We can't cancel these subscriptions. Customers must contact the third party service provider directly to cancel a direct debit/subscription on their credit card.

Thanks for your query,
    Graham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭harolds57

Hi harolds57,

Direct debits/subscriptions on credit cards are an agreement between the customer and the merchant, we are the third party payment centre. We can't cancel these subscriptions. Customers must contact the third party service provider directly to cancel a direct debit/subscription on their credit card.

Thanks for your query,
    Graham

Thanks for getting back and understand that. But at the same time i take it when i cancel my credit card with you, you wouldnt think about paying these. Will try and cancel any that im aware off but if i forget one well at least with the account closed you wouldnt be mad enough to pay them, would you?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

You're welcome harolds57,

When a third party direct debit is set up on a credit card account by a customer, it gives the third party supplier continuous authority to request payment from the credit card account for the services the customer receives. These recurring transactions are automatically posted to credit card accounts, regardless of the status of the account as we're obliged to honour them on the customer's behalf. Our policy is guided by a central principle that it's in the best interests of our customers to ensure that they have continuity of service as we appreciate that it can take some time for customers to make alternative arrangements with third parties.

If such payments are posted to your account after you've requested cancellation with the third party, you can use the chargeback process to dispute these charges and apply for a refund.

If you would like to contact Credit Card Services on 0818 251 251, a representative will be happy to check your account for any subscriptions you may have on your credit card account.

If there's anything else we can help you with, please let us know.
    Thanks,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 4 robitusson

Dunno if this goes here but I want to close my AIB account and credit card that is on it too. They told me there's a 30 euro charge to close it! They said this was a "government charge". I know there's the annual 30 euro charge for credit cardsof course, but another 30 to close it as well. That can't be right. Anyone got any insight on this?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi robitusson,

We cannot comment on another banks policies or charges. Maybe repost in the Banking and Insurance forum as someone may have insight for you there.

Thanks
    Linda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

Hi, I have a credit card with BOI at the moment but plan on closing it by the end of the year. I don't see the need for it as I have the visa debit. I don't have any direct debits on it and will have the balance set back to zero. Is there particular steps I will have to take to close it?
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi seamy beag84,

Thanks for your query. Since you don't have any direct debits on the account and you will be clearing the outstanding balance, you will just need to ring Card Services on 0818 251 251 once the balance has been cleared. A representative will be able to take your closure request over the phone.

Please be aware that if your billing address is in the Republic of Ireland, you will be liable for the €30 Government Stamp Duty on the account. This will become payable upon account closure. If you wish to speed up the closure process you can leave the account €30 in credit.

If you have any further questions just let us know.

Thanks
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

That's grand. Thanks for the reply Pat.

Advertisement