Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jazz Festival 2012

Options
  • 26-09-2012 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone looking forward to anything this year in the festival?

Must admit I thought it was looking kind of weak for a while, but looked at the music trail again a while ago, and there is certainly plenty good free stuff again this year.

Off the top of my head, I recommend the following

The Art Crimes Band 3pm in The Woodford Saturday. They are really excellent and if Martina Stafford is with them, they are 10x better. She has an amazing voice. One of the best I have ever heard. No hyperbole there.

Also check out Booty Band in The Woodford. They are playing there a few times. Really funky stuff and Karen Underwood is a great performer and a really strong soulful voice.

In the Bodega on Friday and Sunday, The Hot 8 Brass Band are on show. Saw them briefly last year and loved what I saw. They are from New Orleans, so they know what they are at.

Souldriven are in the Crane Lane at 4.30 on Saturday. Always well worth a nose.

On the paid side of things - Natalie Williams is in Triskel Christchurch on the Friday. Very soulful singer and should put on a nice show. She is accompanied by Susanna, who I admit I have never heard of, but the description is a combination of rock, jazz and classical. Have my tickets for this anyway.

Beach House are in the Opera House on Saturday night. I know nothing at all about them, but I know some people are quite excited about this. De La Soul are playing there on Sunday night. I have seen De La before and they are pure party. That said, the cash will stop me from seeing them this time. Been there done it.

The Miles Davis all stars are in the Everyman as well. They should be interesting if nothing else. Some good musicians on show. This is the show which could steal the entire weekend.

So that's my contribution to it anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

Hot 8 Brass Band - one of my favourite bands.

Amazing modern take on New Orleans brass, with a crazy band history to boot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_8_Brass_Band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

So, anyone doing anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Not sure yet. On a bit of a side note, does anybody know if Bus Eireann are running night buses? A quick google only turns up pages from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

gimmick wrote: »
    So, anyone doing anything?

Probably go to Mary Stokes in Counihans again.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

In my view, MacCurtain Street is where it's all happening, isn't that the original home of the Jazz Festival? I know jazz is played all over the city - and bigger venues - but Mac Street has the Metropole and Everyman Palace Theatre, 2 of the main jazz venues so the surrounding bars are buzzing.

"Gregory Porter" on Sat for me and then Miles Smiles" on Sunday. Both nights supposed to be brill.

I love the jazz weekend.

So wherever you go - have fun!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Nothing to do with Jazz whatsoever, but I'll be attempting to sample every beer at the Franciscan Well's Oktoberfest this weekend as a celebration for graduating.:D Also, be checking out the Bierhaus' version of Oktoberfest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Not sure yet. On a bit of a side note, does anybody know if Bus Eireann are running night buses?

Yep.

PICK UP @ ST. PATRICKS STREET
    DEPARTING 1AM, 2AM & 3AM
    FRI/SAT/SUN

SERVING
    DOUGLAS EAST VILLAGE
    [Pick up opposite Barry’s pub]
    VIA MARYBOROUGH HILL TO CARRIGALINE
    (Departing From Brown Thomas)

WASHINGTON STREET
    [Pick up Courthouse Chambers]
    WILTON ROAD / BISHOPSTOWN /
    MELBOURNE ROAD / BALLINCOLLIG
    (Departing From Debenhams)

GLOUNTHAUNE / CARRIGTWOHILL / MIDLETON
    (Departing From The Savoy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

great line up at the triskel - saturday night in particular

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Nothing to do with Jazz whatsoever, but I'll be attempting to sample every beer at the Franciscan Well's Oktoberfest this weekend as a celebration for graduating.:D Also, be checking out the Bierhaus' version of Oktoberfest.

Just about to ask if there were any alternatives to all that Jazz

Sometimes if it's quiet in the Well they'll do a taster menu,
    let you try a bit of everything; but I'd say the it will be busy for the weekend

So people, are these the only two alternatives apart from checking out the Savoy?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Can't drink until Sunday night but if there's good acts during the day I'll be popping into it, can't wait for it now, love Jazz weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Anyone know if there any good Rock & Blues bands playing?

I'm not really to fond of the jazz...

Been ages since I saw a good live band.

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Anyone know if there any good Rock & Blues bands playing?

I'm not really to fond of the jazz...

Been ages since I saw a good live band.

Head over to Counihans to see the May Stokes Band

Fri, Sat & Sun nights and Sat & Sun afternoons

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

jacko1 wrote: »
    Head over to Counihans to see the May Stokes Band

Fri, Sat & Sun nights and Sat & Sun afternoons

Fantastic..

Thank you jacko1.

If you see The Hot Guitars listed anywhere as well have a nose. They are fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

evilivor wrote: »
    Yep.

PICK UP @ ST. PATRICKS STREET
    DEPARTING 1AM, 2AM & 3AM
    FRI/SAT/SUN

SERVING
    DOUGLAS EAST VILLAGE
    [Pick up opposite Barry’s pub]
    VIA MARYBOROUGH HILL TO CARRIGALINE
    (Departing From Brown Thomas)

WASHINGTON STREET
    [Pick up Courthouse Chambers]
    WILTON ROAD / BISHOPSTOWN /
    MELBOURNE ROAD / BALLINCOLLIG
    (Departing From Debenhams)

GLOUNTHAUNE / CARRIGTWOHILL / MIDLETON
    (Departing From The Savoy)

Not doubting you for a second (!) but have you a link for this? Can't spot it on the BE website...

kcb wrote: »
    Not doubting you for a second (!) but have you a link for this? Can't spot it on the BE website...

No - they are spot on - called into the bus station yesterdayand they had flyers with the exact times and destinations as stated

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Is there still free jazz in the Metrapole during the day???

Last time i went out for the jazz weekend was a few years ago. I cant find any info, have they stopped doing this?

Ya, the Metropole is still free until 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

gimmick wrote: »
    Ya, the Metropole is still free until 6.

Music to my ears. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Went to see the Art Crimes Band on recommendation from here, was not disappointed.

Also Get the Blessing were amazing in the Bodega last night. I wanted to stay to see the Hot 8 Brass BAnd, but I left to meet a friend, and when I came back there was a huge line to get back in, so I didn't bother.

• Advertisement
Advertisement