Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you looking forward to most in the next generation of consoles?

• 26-09-2012 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

All the signs seem to be that we will have a new generation of consoles to entertain us in 2013. I know the Wii U is out this year but I'm not too sure if that counts as 'next-gen' or not.

I want to know what you want most from the new consoles and if you realistically think it will happen or not.

Right now I can't think of anything major so I'll just mention a couple of small things I'd like.

1. I would like a really good release of Pro Evolution Soccer. The series has been poor since PES 6. I remember playing the series on the PS2 and thinking how good it might be on a new, more powerful console. It never happened, even PES 6 wasn't really an advance on PES 5 apart from good online play over XBox Live.

Probability of it happening? Low, I'd say. I have no faith in Konami. They have consistently failed to deliver after promising so much each year.

2. If digital content continues to grow in importance on the next consoles I'd like Sony to improve the PSN. I don't want to start a debate about PSN vs. Live (both are good). I simply want to say download speeds need to be improved for the next generation. Whether that is due to the PSN servers or bad wireless cards in the PS3 I'm not sure but it has to be fixed.

Probability of it happening? I'm sure it will. It can't continue to be overlooked surely.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭RedXIV

VR compatibility.

No overheating.

Monster harddrives.

A surprise feature that will wow and amaze me..... maybe a cupholder or something

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

More motion control :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

Kiith wrote: »
    More motion control :pac:

hate motion control
    well i hate kinect worst thing ever invented for the xbox
    the wii is better then it and i hate the wii lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,087 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Reliability.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

The swamp of cheap, second-hand current-gen games. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

That new console smell mmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Beyond Good and Evil 2 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

As above, reliability.

Also, 2013? Yer 'avin a laff. Even 2014 is unlikely

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

KB & Mouse support would be great, doubt it will happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

The next leap forward in A.I. for shooters. When was the last time, Halo CE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭gothictwilight

A foot spa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Dcully wrote: »
    KB & Mouse support would be great, doubt it will happen though.

Crazy to think that you could have it on a PS1... Granted not for many games, but it was still there for a game (Riven). I too would like it though.

As RedXIV said above, i would be one for VR. I seriously think it's the next logical step for gaming. Yeah, we'll have better graphics, and COD 12 will be like an interactive Black Hawk Down or something, but i want more immersion. The Oculus Rift is what i want. Give me excellent games with a stunningly good Oculus Rift type headset and i reckon i'd be happy.

Cross Platform gaming, surely it must nearly be possible.

Better PSN (I'd even pay for it).

Oh, and i want fibre powered broadband, sick of getting lag killed in CoD.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

No touch sensitive buttons.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Something truly new and different.

I have been gaming for 25+ years at this stage, I've seen so many leaps in graphics that I really couldn't care less about games having a few more pixels and being in even-more-HD-than-last-time.

I'm expecting the next xbox to have a more integrated app experience, possibly even to be running a version of Windows 8 RT and have access to the app store. Possibly with Kinect 2 simulating a multi-touch experience. That could be kind of cool, if there were good apps to support it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭De Dannan

Are they actually talking about a Xbox 720 and PS4 by next year ?
    I heard rumours too but Sony recently spoke of developing more games for the PS3 , up till 2015 so it would seem odd for them to release a new console
    Having said that some of the big games companies are supposidly developing next gen games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I look forward to their extinction

pcgamingmasterrace.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Id say being able to use a standard PC headset for chat would be a big plus for a console. Actually allowing third parties to create better peripherals would also be appreciated.

And a quiet console. The 360 can be like a chainsaw.

And regarding the XBL Party chat, being able to drop in and out easily without having to go into the chat option would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

TBH, not execting a huge amount.

Better graphics and physics yes, but thats standard progression.
    What I really want to see is more innovation in format.

I like the idea that Playstation have with games being playable on Vita as PS3, so you can play one campaign across both platforms...

That's something I'd like to see from Xbox, a vita equivilant...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

De Dannan wrote: »
    Are they actually talking about a Xbox 720 and PS4 by next year ?
    I heard rumours too but Sony recently spoke of developing more games for the PS3 , up till 2015 so it would seem odd for them to release a new console
    Having said that some of the big games companies are supposidly developing next gen games

They released PS2 games for a few years after the PS3 launched. It's not like once a new console is launched they immediately stop supporting the last console. I'd be very surprised if the PS4 and next Xbox were not released in time for Christmas next year. March 2014 at the very latest I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

A lot more new IP's...ha...ha .....ha,ha,ha like thats going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I would actually want them to be a consoles, not a fecking Facebook/twitter/sky/music/fridge/wankmachine/extravision yoke with option to play games.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Moar Pyscho Power!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

i dont know what they are going to do from here on out with consoles. like the leap from ps1 to ps2 and ps2 to ps3 is a leap that was exciting for but right now i dont see such a leap having a wow factor for me anymore.

i expect digital games will begin a bigger push
    motion control gaming will be pushed even further
    it should be by now games being 1080p

i can see next gen just being a continuation of this gen except a bigger push on digital and trying to be a pc than being a console

i think at this stage microsoft sony and somewhat nintendo now are trying to sell us a multi media box than a console

things like twitter, facebook, youtube, netflix, hulu its all useless

i seen people question whether of not they want the wii u cause it has no achievements supposedly

never have i heard such ****e in all my life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭GarH

Proper and permanent (are you listening Sony) backwards compatability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

My wish is a simple one, Santa. I just want good games. That's all I ever want from any console.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm only interested in the games, I don't care what the consoles are capable of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The next gen is only as good as a fairly high end PC now, it won't be as good as what a top end PC can do simply due to price. But what it will do is allow developers to push more into the PC games. I was talking to Crytek recently about Crysis 3 and they said the things they can do with this engine are incredible but because they launch on all three (maybe even 4) platforms the game has to be consistent across all three. That they can't have a lighting system that won't work on the Xbox. The next gen will give them extra space to work with.

But the next gen is far more than just graphics although it is looking pretty incredible, it is more about rendering faster, having better in game mechanics and faster processing to allow larger games look and play better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

More power so they can be more in line with PCs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

1080p 60fps as standard would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Less excuses about shìt ports and having to scale back the potential of multi-platform games to keep in line with the power of the current consoles.

The type of games are always what matters, don't care about the graphics or the physic engines if they're not put to good use.

Advertisement