Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming build

Options
  • 26-09-2012 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm in the process of my first PC build and looking for power supply info and maybe a recommendation for a nice monitor 27-32 inch. I'm wondering would 700w be ok for power supply. Any advice would be appreciated.

My specs: (Parts ordered/received so-far)

Case : Cooler-master Stryker
    Motherboard : Intel DS79XI
    Graphics : Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 FLEX
    HD : 240GB SSD 520 series
    Processor : Intel i7-3960x
    RAM : DDR3 16GB
    Cooling : Intel LGA 2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

oh my... you better needed to ask us advice before ordering those items. you wasted a huge amount of money on CPU and ram you dont need and got quite weak gpu, compared to your budget.

amazon 650w psu will be more then enough for it.

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/600+-+700+Watts/24479/Super-Flower+Amazon+80Plus+650W.article

• Registered Users Posts: 10 blifter

Thanks for your reply, I got a deal on the processor, MB and drive. But yes I am a noob and I probably should have asked. What GPU do you think I should have got, thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

blifter wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply, I got a deal on the processor, MB and drive. But yes I am a noob and I probably should have asked. What GPU do you think I should have got, thanks again!

considering what was your initial budget.

you see, that CPU is a total overkill for gaming. all you needed was:i5 2500k or i5 3570k. anything above those 2 is useless for gaming. ( sort of useless, as it gives a such small increase, for so much bigger price tag )
    then 8gb ram is more then enough for gaming pc. in fact 8gb is more then enough to any home user.

so just count how much money you would save by going:
    8gb ram
    z77 mobo

all those savings could have gone in to GPU or even GPUs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

7950 is a fine GPU, I think it's really the CPU and motherboard that's a bit out of place. The 2011 platform isn't really worth the money in most scenarios. You'd need a very good reason to get those extra cores. It won't help with game at all.

A 7950 is loads for 'high definition' but big monitors can be higher resolution - over 1.5 times the number of pixels to power.

I guess I was trying to think of the future. But I take your points.

• Advertisement

Do you mean I could lose definition with a bigger monitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Bigger monitor (in general) = more pixels.

So you're working with very high definitions. As you move up, you'll need more graphics power behind it to have it running smoothly.

Say for example, most tvs and monitors are heading towards 1920x1080.
    That's 2,073,600 pixels.
    A monitor like the U2711 is 2560x1440. That's 3,686,400 pixels. Your games will look much better as you'll have more pixels to create an image. On the other hand, your graphics card now has too work harder to create the higher resolution images. In turn it churns out the images a bit slower and with demanding games with the details turned up, it could get a bit choppy.

An alternative to consider to a bigger monitor is multiple monitors.

Does the motherboard support multiple graphics cards? You could buy a second one if you really needed it later on, but you'd want to buy an appropriate PSU to accommodate the extra card(s).

I'll have to check if the motherboard supports multiple cards. My GPU will support 5 monitors, not that I'll ever be using 5. Anyway there is surely room to double up on the M-b. I really should have looked deeper into all this before buying, but just wanted to get going.

Advertisement