Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walk from Drogheda to Dublin

Options
  • 26-09-2012 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Myself and two chaps from work plan to walk from our home town of Drogheda early on Friday 5th October arriving in time for work in Dublin city centre south.
    The smarter workplace travel scheme is on at the minute so we thought what the heck.

Only problem is we haven't exactly done any training. It's longer than a marathon. Are we mad or will it be all right on the night!? And has anyone ever done this walk before (apart from in the viking era, I'm sure it was quite common then!).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

52k on the M1

with no training i would say its tough, mentally and physically, and if you have a time limit:eek:....i aint saying dont do it...but it may be a lot tougher than you think!!

ive done walks of up to 100k so that's my only basis for having an opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

52 kilometers of wind and rain :eek: If your gonna do it make sure to leave spare clothes at work the day before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Dka e80

leave thursday just in case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Do you have any idea how long this will take ? Minimum 7-8 hours if you unless you are a trained race walker and even thats only if you are good with pain

• Registered Users Posts: 20 drogtastic

thanks for the advise folks! It's 48k direct via the r132 so no walking on motorways. Allowing 7.5 hours and will have gear and showers in work. No stranger to pain, commuting every day with Irish rail for years after all!

Anyone like to join us?? Could be a Forrest gump type thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

drogtastic wrote: »
    It's 48k direct via the r132 so no walking on motorways. Allowing 7.5 hours

that is 6.4 km/h!

the average human walking speed is about 5.0 kilometres per hour
    although a brisk walking speed can be around 6.5 km/h
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walking)

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Have you tried cycling the route first to scope it out? As people have said it's quite a trek on foot. An average pace of 6.4km/hr for 7.5hrs is also very difficult without breaks. Best of luck though if you do take it on.

Thanks devia, have tried cycling it all right, its a manageable cycle in under 2 hours. We're aiming at a brisk walking pace. We'll probably up it to 8 hours based on the good advice given here. One of the guys is very worried about it and says I'll have to give him a piggyback for the last few miles, not so sure about that!!
    Wonder is there any other ways of getting drog-dub, have tried bike, motorbike, car, bus, wonder is it possible to sail/kayak it.. up the boyne and hug the coast.

8 years of commuting does make the mind wander!!

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

Also if its any use, i found that the challenge for the 50k walks was keeping your feet in order and your clothes comfortable rather than any fitness issue. So try do at least 20k in what your gonna wear on the day, because an addtional 30k with blisters and chaffing...well it just aint no fun;)

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Are you leaving on Fri to get to work for Monday morning.

That's gonna be some trek I'd say you'll be looking closer to 10 hours to be honest and with no training your feet are gonna be in tatters. Not to mention the fact you've to do a days work afterwards I hope it's a cushy office job :D

Best of look with it but I think you're nuckin futs if you're gonna do it get a charity involved you may aswell get something out of your hardship.

I'd be goin for the cycle to work option.

Oh yeah and buy some body glide :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Myself and two chaps from work plan to walk from our home town of Drogheda early on Friday 5th October arriving in time for work in Dublin city centre south.
    The smarter workplace travel scheme is on at the minute so we thought what the heck.

Only problem is we haven't exactly done any training. It's longer than a marathon. Are we mad or will it be all right on the night!? And has anyone ever done this walk before (apart from in the viking era, I'm sure it was quite common then!).

Seems completely pointless man unless it's for a charity? Huge distance to walk.

I'd say cycle it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

riveratom wrote: »
    Seems completely pointless man unless it's for a charity? Huge distance to walk.

I'd say cycle it!

I say the best of luck , Setting a goal and achieving it is one of the best feelings , far from pointless.If you feel like doing something go do it.

Thanks for the support! It is pointless in a way but only in the sense that pretty much everything is pointless! Nice to do these things once and have a war story/one for the grandkids. Not doing it for charity, was never a fan of these charity events, people should donate because its a good cause not because some fella is getting a free skydive! That's another story anyway. We're all prepped for the big walk at the end of the week, hopefully the weather will hold up!!

Thanks for the support! It is pointless in a way but only in the sense that pretty much everything is pointless! Nice to do these things once and have a war story/one for the grandkids. Not doing it for charity, was never a fan of these charity events, people should donate because its a good cause not because some fella is getting a free skydive! That's another story anyway. We're all prepped for the big walk at the end of the week, hopefully the weather will hold up!!

Good Luck with it, pack sandals as your feet might bare a resemblance to minced meat when ya get there :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It's perfectly do able but due to lack of training its default going to be slower then if you had training and you're feet may be in bits,

As for anyone saying "what's the points?", nothing like a feeling of reaching such a big goal :-)

Did my first 50km run this year, was a great feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

papu wrote: »
    I say the best of luck , Setting a goal and achieving it is one of the best feelings , far from pointless.If you feel like doing something go do it.

Each to their own I guess, if I was doing that distance I'd rather mix it up a bit and go on a bike or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Make sure you have a brand new pair of shoes for the walk

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Make sure you have a brand new pair of shoes for the walk
    Worst. Advice. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Ive cycled from Drogheda to Dublin plenty of times and it's not th most scenic route! It would be more enjoyable to set yourself a goal like walking the boyne, grand canal etc but enjoy it if you do it!

Oryx wrote: »
    Worst. Advice. Ever.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Oryx wrote: »
    Worst. Advice. Ever.

It was a joke dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Is the OP still walking ?

What happened with it dude ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

A soldier called John McSherry did it from the GPO to St Peters way back in May 1991, he was carrying a fully 40 pound pack as well, raised a lot of money for the kids ward in the Lourdes Hospital.

Advertisement