Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What gearbox do i need? fiesta?

Options
  • 26-09-2012 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi there all!

I bought an 02 fiesta a cupple of days ago. needed fw bearings, had them done then there was still a hum or bearing noise coming from the engine,

after loads of ramp time, i was told that is was a bearing in the gearbox, they could do it but it was gonna cost me 900 or so... witch i really dont have. the garage told me that if i got a gear box that they could fit it.... a machanic told me that the box is cheep enough as they use them on the focas ect....

My question is, what box is it i need to buy? the car is a 02 1.3 new shape fiesta. will the old shape gearbox work? will i have to go for a newer one?

Thanks in advance
    Karl
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's definitely 1.3 and not 1.25 right?

I'd also get a second opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 10 karlmcdonnell

its a 1288, so 1.3.... i will look at getting a 2nd opinion but its my mechanic that i have used for years....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

something odd here
    ...you say new shape so I assume thats the 03 model year (which came out in the autmn of 02).
    engine would be 1242cc not 1288. is it a Duratec engine? (written on the top of it?)

(ps I'd turn up the radio and drive on until the gearbox ceased to work..)

corktina wrote: »
    something odd here
    ...you say new shape so I assume thats the 03 model year (which came out in the autmn of 02).
    engine would be 1242cc not 1288. is it a Duratec engine? (written on the top of it?)

(ps I'd turn up the radio and drive.on until the gearbox ceased to work..)

its 1288 on the tax disk,yes its a duratec engine

i wish i could turn up the radio but there is no vode for it so im waiting to get a replacrnent rather than oay to get the code

you can get the radio code on here. Post up the serial number and somweone will oblige. (Press 6 and 2 on the radio to ge tthe serial number I think)

tax disc is in error. its either a 1.25 or a 1597 (nearly all will be 1242.) Earlier gearbox may fit but I wouldn't swear to it (engine is basically the same as the zetec on earlier cars)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79983946

• Advertisement

you can get the radio code on here. Post up the serial number and somweone will oblige. (Press 6 and 2 on the radio to ge tthe serial number I think)

tax disc is in error. its either a 1.25 or a 1597 (nearly all will be 1242.) Earlier gearbox may fit but I wouldn't swear to it (engine is basically the same as the zetec on earlier cars)

It has a tape player so i thibk im gonna replace it anyways,but thanks alot.

Even the tax book has 1.3 on it? Does this seem really weird? Or would it have been rounded up?

Iv heard breakers saying that the focas box might work??

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Some had the old pushrod engine, 1299cc I thought. Usually in the very basic models.

lifer_sean wrote: »

Some had the old pushrod engine, 1299cc I thought. Usually in the very basic models.

Yeah mine is the basic one,bog standerd.

By old pushrod engine does this mean the old gearbox will work?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Think those 1.3 engines were called 'endura' or something, they were def available in the new model. I wouldn't bank on them being the same as the old model

It has a tape player so i thibk im gonna replace it anyways,but thanks alot.

Even the tax book has 1.3 on it? Does this seem really weird? Or would it have been rounded up?

Iv heard breakers saying that the focas box might work??

odd again. My 2003 fiesta has a built in radio in three sections and a CD player. It's a very bare LX too (no aircon etc) . Checking Wiki, it seems that some UK models intially (ie early 2002/3 I guess) had pushrod ngones which would be 1288 cc but if yours is a Duratec it should be 1242 cc or could be 1388cc (as in the Focus)which I haven't come across in Ireland but is feasible in an import.

You couldn't manage a photo could you? (I'm just intrigued, I love he way Foprd throw up oddities.

As for the box, try asking your Ford dealer or try here or one of the UK clubs

http://irishfiestaclub.proboards.com/index.cgi

• Advertisement

Re-reading the thread. I think you have a 2002 Mk4 facelfit (what some call a Mk5). In which case, the gearbox from any Zetec engined Fiesta from 1996* to 2002 should fit. *or whenevr the first zetec were fitted.

2003 models onwards (fifth generation according to Ford so I call THEM mk5...) have a Duratec engine which is merely the Zetec re-branded (in fact if you take off the Duratec cover, it says zetec underneath!). Gearbox in these could well be the same, but I can't be sure.

does it look like this? (Mk4 facelift)
    sy4bxl.jpg

Ford_Fiesta_MK6_front_20070926.jpgBestand:Ford_Fiesta_MK6_front_20070926.jpg

This is the one i have... looks like a Mk6 then? i dont know...

Im going to take it to ford and have them diagnose the problem,

Hopefully they can tell me what gearbox it will need...

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

before you go buying gearboxes check that the driveshaft carrier bearing on the drivers side driveshaft isnt gone very common problem and gives the exact sort of bearing noises as a failing gearbox

ford jedi wrote: »
    before you go buying gearboxes check that the driveshaft carrier bearing on the drivers side driveshaft isnt gone very common problem and gives the exact sort of bearing noises as a failing gearbox

the noise seems to be coming from the passanger side??

Its booked in with tallaght ford on tuesday to have a look

il try put some pictures up of the block

[IMG][/img]119pc.jpg

scaled.php?server=193&filename=124ly.jpg&res=landing

Starter at the front?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

1299cc was available in that model. My friend just bought one 2 weeks ago :)

OP make sure you get the right box. I'm sure you use the IB5 found in most small engined Fords of that era. Some have cables, some have selector rods, some used a clutch cable. Pick carefully.

Change the slave cylinder while you have the box off. Saves you the hassle if it goes within a few thousand miles of the new box installed

ford jedi wrote: »

Looks like you where right on the money with this one! Just got a call from ford there to say that its the drive shaft carrier bearing. 160 odd quid is alot less than i thought i was going to spend!

Thanks all!
    Karl.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

your welcome

Advertisement