Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology Ecology help :/

• 26-09-2012 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I'm teaching myself Biology and I am very confused as to what I should know for Ecology and the Fieldwork :/ if anyone could help me I would really appreciate it :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Classof2013

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ChuckyWalshe

First of all, you need to decide what level you're doing for it. Obviously, higher will have a lot more information. Get very familiar with all of the key phrases (e.g Ecology, conservation etc.). Just be able to explain what they are. Go over the other concepts like the nitrogen and carbon cycles. If you're going on a trip-great!- because you may be asked a question on what place you studied, what flora and fauna were present, conditions etc. I'd just highly advise that you go on the trip, you never know what might come up!

But in short, the key definitions are essential for learning lc ecology, it's up every year in the short questions (I think).
    Hope this helps, sorry it's not more detailed, I haven't looked at ecology since before June. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

I posted something similar in a recent thread but I'll do it again.

I'd recommend:
    - Definitions (Habitat, Biosphere, Competition, Niche etc.)
    - Food chain (4 trophic levels)
    - Pyramid of Numbers
    - Inverted Pyramid of Numbers
    - Abiotic factors
    - Biotic factors
    - Edaphic factors (note that edaphic factors and abiotic factors are the same. Both are non-living factors)
    - Parasitism & predation (examples)
    - Carbon & Nitrogen cycle
    - Ecology field study (Experiments you did)
    - Waste minimization (3 R's)
    - Pollution (Example of pollution e.g. Ozone depletion)
    - Role of organisms in nitrogen cycle (Nitrification, denitrification etc.)
    - The concept of energy flow in a food chain
    - Factors affecting human population

That's essentially everything you need to know about ecology! :D

Advertisement