Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental properties for students

Options
  • 26-09-2012 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hello there,

I'm just here to ask a quick question for my house. We are currently all students living in Dublin 9 and have all moved into our house as of Sunday welcomed with a pile of bills from various utilities including Electric Ireland. This was a shock to us, especially as most letters/bills said we had until the end of the week to pay or in some cases over due payment on the security deposit.

We simply don't have cash on hand at the moment since our grants haven't been issued yet and are worried our electricity will get cut off and will cost us more to get sorted. Can someone please fill me in on procedure to avoid this?

Comments

First thing - read and record the meter. Its a good idea to take a photo.

The landlord should have arranged the transfer from the previous tenant to yourselves. If you're students, the previous tenants might have moved out in June. The power should then have been put in the landlords name and then transfered into your name from the date you took over.

Some landlords leave the power in their own name and apportion the charges to the tenants on a monthly basis, based on the reading.

Talk to the landlord immediately. If you dont get a clear response, tell the Electric the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi DRUMorDIE,

And thanks DrDonkey.

Your move-in date should be the date from when you and your house-mates are responsible for the electricity/gas. To set up an Electric Ireland account, an up-to-date meter reading is required, and the MPRN (meter point reference number) for the address.

Further details on moving in on our website here.

All the best,
    Una

Advertisement