Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Go Problem

Options
  • 26-09-2012 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi, Sorry if this has been covered already couldn't find anything very similar.

Wanted to start watching Sky in the bedroom so Sky Go on the XBOX was a great option for me!

Now I have everything downloaded correctly, Internet connection is excellent, TV is reasonably new and working perfect & the XBOX is new enough also!

The problem with the Sky Go is that its constantly buffering, all the time. Its not possible to watch it at all really. The live TV and the on demand stuff is all the same, Always buffering or very slow to load.

I think the problem may be that I'm running my XBOX Live / Sky Go off of a wireless router like the WiFi throughout the house and I need to use a wired connection from the router to the XBOX itself.

Anybody had any similar problems or got any solutions or ideas I could try?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Almost certainly going to be a bandwidth issue. Streaming is always a resource hog. A wired connection would be ideal but if you can make sure that nobody else is online downloading or streaming stuff at the same time, it might make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 twotonewolftone

you can get plugs like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA411KIT-AV500-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B0084Y9N3O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348689944&sr=8-2 that use your electricity mains as a wired connection i got a set in pcworld and it does the job for me.one end plugs into your modem and then the other goes into your xbox.hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭dor83

I would agree with Phleg that it is most likely a bandwidth problem. I use it a lot and used to have similar problems in my old house, especially in the evenings when the contention ratio slowed my connection down. I recently moved and have a better connection now and can be using sky go on my xbox while streaming another thing on my laptop and rarely have a problem at all. I do this all wireless too with the modem in another room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lyndseyb1988

you can get plugs like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA411KIT-AV500-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B0084Y9N3O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348689944&sr=8-2 that use your electricity mains as a wired connection i got a set in pcworld and it does the job for me.one end plugs into your modem and then the other goes into your xbox.hope this helps

I'm just wondering how this works, I have a 3G Modem and there are No ports for connecting this device?

3G hasn't got the best reputation for downloading and speeds etc. (not very familiar with technology and internet connections) but I personally have never had a problem with the connection, it's very fast on the internet and with downloads on the laptop.

I Have the exact same problem with Sky Xbox live, it just keeps buffering, and more than usual in the past two weeks or so!

Very frustrating when you're trying to watch a movie and are only getting to view thirty seconds at a time!

Due to renew the xbox live membership, wondering if its worth while?

Would love any help at all, Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

I'm just wondering how this works, I have a 3G Modem and there are No ports for connecting this device?

3G hasn't got the best reputation for downloading and speeds etc. (not very familiar with technology and internet connections) but I personally have never had a problem with the connection, it's very fast on the internet and with downloads on the laptop.

I Have the exact same problem with Sky Xbox live, it just keeps buffering, and more than usual in the past two weeks or so!

Very frustrating when you're trying to watch a movie and are only getting to view thirty seconds at a time!

Basically, you have an ethernet cable running from your router into a home plug in the socket in the wall (in the hall we'll say). Then the room where the Xbox is (upstairs) you'll have another home plug in the wall. That will have an ethernet cable running from that straight into the Xbox. Giving you a wired connection.

You might need to make sure they're both on the same circuit though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Go to http://www.speedtest.net and post your results?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I would not think one of them dongle things would be sufficient enough to stream 2mb video solidly, I have 4mb connection on Eircom and some days I struggle to get a stream on Sky on full quality.... which apparently requires a 2mb download!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Sky Go used to work perfect for me, worked on eircom then I moved to UPC and no problems, then about a month ago it doesnt work. I can hear the sound all I get is the ring in the middle of the screen like its buffering.

Also which is strange DVD's dont play on my xbox at all anymore but games still do. Anyone hear of that problem?

Advertisement