Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO MAKE AFTER EFFECTS TRAILER FOR FREE

Options
  • 26-09-2012 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

looking for someone to make an aftereffects trailer for free. no money available but alot of publicity!

reply for more information

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Someone must be making money out of it? Are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Rockerstar

no its for a student film for a show case! the intro to the film is a awesome 3D advert for a nightclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Shouldnt a student film not showcase what the students are capable of, not what they can pay somebody to do, or in this case what they can ask random strangers to do for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Rockerstar wrote: »
    looking for someone to make an aftereffects trailer for free. no money available but alot of publicity!

Just as a matter of interest, where will "a lot of publicity" come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Why should a nightclub get a free ad?

After effects doesn't even need a trailer, it's not that big you could just put it in the car.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Splinters wrote: »
    Shouldnt a student film not showcase what the students are capable of, not what they can pay somebody to do, or in this case what they can ask random strangers to do for free.

Obviously, you haven't spent any time near a third level institute in recent years.

These days they teach kids to get someone else to do the work (for free) then take the credit.

And it's not stealing, or ripping you off, it's sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Rockerstar wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056756358

I wonder if the OP could wash my car, paint my house, mow my lawn, wash the dog, groom the cat, sweep my chimney. No money available but a lot of publicity!

Seriously?

You're doing an advert for a nightclub for free and you don't see anything wrong with this?

The nightclub will benefit for sure, but when you qualify and are looking for a job you'll find it difficult if people will do the same work as you (as a person trying to earn a living after leaving college) for free...

As someone else said, you'll never be out of work if you work for free.

OP, value your skills in your chosen area and charge accordingly. Don't expect less of anybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

1. Sweet my article got referenced.

2. OP Are you for real? Do you know how much work goes into designing and creating after effects animations, even the simple ones take time.

In this business theres only one simple rule time=money, since this project will take time there is no way you can expect someone to do it for you for free. I mean yeah experience and publicity but the amount of people that say that same cock and bull story is getting beyond a joke. Publicity wont pay the bills or feed your kids, if this night club is asking you to do this for free then your even more a fool for saying that you'd do it.

Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

How does a student project end up getting loads of publicity ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

jhegarty wrote: »
    How does a student project end up getting loads of publicity ?

Oh because ten of his facebook friends will like it, also his teachers and external examiners might like it.

I'm a student, all of our work can't be published because of some copyright thing to do with the college/ incase we want to submit to film festivals etc etc..
    So I'm calling shenanagians on the whole "nightclub will show it" aspect of this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

If your college has a video/multimedia course, or a video/media society, ask around there. 'Cos if it's a student project, isn't it supposed to be done by students?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

OP, I realise that this torrent of abuse you feel you might be getting is unwarranted but you must understand that a lot of people in this business not only are expected to work for 'publicity' but are also undercut by people who will work for 'publicity'. It happens in all industries and professions and quality suffers because of it whereas the people at the top (your so called nightclub management) reap any profits. I'll let Harlan here put it better than I ever could, check out the anger in his voice and you'll have some idea about why your request is greeted with nothing but disdain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭NealB

I'll let Harlan here put it better than I ever could

Fantastic, love this clip. Guess that ends the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I think the answer is no.

Locked before it goes further down the drain! OP the comments made are valid though!

John

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement