Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road up to Molls Gap

Options
  • 26-09-2012 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

On this road there is an old church which i gather was a catholic church used by people in the Black Valley. There are two further old buildings and maybe some kind person would tell me their origins. Over the years i have travelled this road a few times and it was only last week i stopped at Ladies View viewing point and i really appreciated the beauty of the lakes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

You may be referring to Derrycunnihy Church of Ireland - long closed and was a restaurant for a while - and the old RIC barracks, closed I presume in the early 1920s.

http://www.documentingireland.com/products/derrycunnihy-church-galweys-bridge-killarney-national-park-co-kerry-/

There is an older church further down the road, nearer to Muckross but it's not as visible from the road. I'm not sure of it's history etc. Maybe someone else might know of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

It's a great road to drive. The building with the castellated towers is indeed Derrycunnihy RIC(Royal Irish Constabulary) Barracks. If you google it you should find an old picture taken from Ladies View of when it was in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

Thanks to all for the info. For people not familiar with this area and who may be a bit stressed i would highly recommend a visit and you will feel relaxed and enthralled with the scenic beauty of the valley below.

Mulgrave Barracks, had up to 8 personnel, mostly engaged in preventing poaching. Closed during the War of Independence afaik, when officers were withdrawn from more remote barracks for fear of attack. The Church was the Church for the Black Valley, think of the trek some of them made every mass day down the valley, across the lake and up through the woods. It closed in the late 50s when the Church in the valley itself was completed. The 3rd building may be the Tower Lodge, a few miles "down" the road towards Killarney where the Cores River crosses the road. It was occupied by gamekeepers/caretakers on the Muckross Estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Mulgrave Barracks

Mulgrave_Barracks.jpg

http://www.abandonedireland.com/Mulgrave_Barracks.html

Would be amazing to see it restored.

• Advertisement
Advertisement