Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

~ €200 Second-hand Laptop

• 26-09-2012 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm in final year of college and need a laptop. I haven't bought a laptop before now as I've never actually needed one, and I'd much rather use my proper computer at home for real work.

The problem I have is that I'm doing a project which involves data-acquisition from a car. I need the laptop solely for portability really. I'd need at least 2GB of RAM, and what was a decent processor at the time of manufacture as the laptop will be slower relative to a modern pc. I'd prefer not to go above a 14" screen as I'll have to carry it around.

I wan't to buy a Windows 8 RT tablet once I can afford one, so for now all I need is something that will work, and is reliable.

I've been looking at HP EliteBooks (6910p / 6930p) as they're a business laptop and hence were well constructed, and are coming at around my budget on eBay.

Can anybody point me in the direction of anything similar that would fit my needs, and any other places I could buy from. Thanks.

Regards,
    Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I was in something of a similar jam (I need a cheap, half-decent portable that can survive a backpack) so I purchased a Lenovo Thinkpad X200 off eBay. The one I bought has a 12-inch 1280x800 display w/C2D P8600 and 3GB RAM if I remember correctly.

It's an ultraportable, so there's no optical drive or touchpad on this model. Thinkpads don't seem to have a great reputation for bright displays though.

I had a look around but the cheapest I could find it for was on eBay. It hasn't been delivered yet so I don't know what it's like.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Advertisement