Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,082 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

More and more of the content is based around Global Village type subjects, where Ger and Joe get to shake their heads and look down their noses at the behaviour of lesser civilized human beings. Well I don't tune in to improve my moral values. If it's a sports show then cover f**king sports, and leave the SJW stuff to every other program on the damned station.

My issue is that it is labelled as a sports show, and far too often the story is about people not wearing colourful boot laces to support gay pride, or how oppressed a certain women's game is, or how badly black players were treated in Boston in the 1970s, or how a player should have been barred for life for taking drugs. It's a contrived effort to force their "superior" morals down our throats.

We have different views on this.

I don't think it's contrived to be anything, there are elements where sports overlap with real life and of course the participants are all human, that makes it interesting to discuss some of these items in a sports context.

Also, I don't think social elements come in to it as much some feel they do.

I much rather this type of show than the banal, mundane yawn fest with topics limited to elements that include phrases like "give it 110%, at the end of the day and it's the result that counts". We have Sky Sports News for that.

Some here don't like them turning a light on drugs in sport, I think that topic is both very interesting, and very relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

It's not comparable with Sky Sports News because that is a factual (supposedly) news reporting show. The human interest angle taken by OTB is ok from time to time, if that were only the case.....I your grasp of the show is the wrong way around. This is not a sports show that reports on social issues; it is a show on social issues that thread through sport. Most stories regress to that no matter what the sport or who is presenting. The objective of this show is to tell us how we should be living our lives and to educate us on the burning social issues in life that should concern us. How ludicrous is that? The overt focus on drugs in sport is just the wide base from which they pursue that objective. The two guys see themselves as 'broadcasters', not 'sports journalists' which is why they can't just sit back and enjoy the sport for what it is. This is why they expect professional sports people to be "role models" when these people are not that and probably don't want to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I think the problem might be that the show is just too long. There's no reason whatsoever for the football show, when they're just regurgitating the same schpiel from earlier in the show, with different contributors.
    someone asked earlier if OTBAM was an attempt at a sports radio station... i really hope not. 5 live in the UK is about the best and they don't stretch it out. if kilbane wasn't part of the show, they wouldn't have had the interviews with the ex footballers over the past few months (waddle, shearer, neville etc) to pad the show out, and then refer back to them for the rest of the week.

the only time the show is any good nowadays is when Nathan is presenting, or if you're lucky, Dave.
    when second captains presented, i never got the feeling that there was an agenda, just ken's ramblings on the football show were quality. i haven't listened to their podcast since some time in 2014, when i gave up hope of a bit of league of ireland coverage.

I do like Dave McIntyre but even he falls into the trap of pontification. Joe was away for the paper review recently but you'd never have known it because McIntyre did such a good impersonation of him. Outrage, compassion and concern all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,967 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

We have different views on this.

I don't think it's contrived to be anything, there are elements where sports overlap with real life and of course the participants are all human, that makes it interesting to discuss some of these items in a sports context.

Also, I don't think social elements come in to it as much some feel they do.

I much rather this type of show than the banal, mundane yawn fest with topics limited to elements that include phrases like "give it 110%, at the end of the day and it's the result that counts". We have Sky Sports News for that.

Some here don't like them turning a light on drugs in sport, I think that topic is both very interesting, and very relevant.

I can't agree with this all.
    The show is terribly contrived at this stage.
    The point where the show went off the cliff for me was the faux animated discussion about the Cork fans using Rebel flags.
    There was no nuanced debate on it all and it really showed them up for thier lack of research on the issue.

There is a you tube channel I listen to called tifo football.
    It discusses soccer tactics well researched etc.
    It has interesting sports guests and no cliches.
    You can tell that the presenters are left leaning politically.
    It is not as polished as some media outlets.
    But they do not preach they do not sneer at those with opposing views.

Example:

Wolverhampton Wanderers tactics

Example:

podcast with C.Regis:

In contrast I would now view OTB as a "banal, mundane yawn fest".

They are like the spotty teenagers who are trying to be clever to impress the girl, but they don't know what they are talking about in thier rush to sound 'interesting'.

To me they are not real sports journalists, they are Arts/English students, who fell into journalism and happen to like sport. Unfortunately for them they were not good enough to play it at a pro level, so they ended up presenting a 'sports show'.
    In thier getting 'behind the issues of sport' the bread and butter stuff is ignored in favour of soliloquies and platitudes.
    The basics should not be forgotten.
    Inform the listener, get good guests, let the story be told.

Otherwise, it is the presenters that become the story, like a bad ref at a football match looking to get the attention.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭monstermag

"Drink Heineken sensibly" How many pieces of silver OTB?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭monstermag

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

monstermag wrote: »

I mentioned it previously too, they also promote gambling without any hesitation, gambling has ruined more lives than and doping in sport. The odd piece with a former sportsperson who had an addiction doesn't hide this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Aye caramba.

OTB when Wes Houlahan retires = The Tom Dunne Show when David Bowie died.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Aye caramba.

OTB when Wes Houlahan retires = The Tom Dunne Show when David Bowie died.

I listened to a bit of it where Giles was talking to Nathan Murphy about him.
    It was alright. I even managed to learn that both Giles and Bremner scored lots of goals each from midfield. :D
    There was no such thing as defensive midfield player in those days Nathan.

I did like Giles take on small players and how managers don't trust them.
    I stopped listening to it then.
    Was there any mention of Pep and the all the small players Barcelona had?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I can't agree with this all.
    The show is terribly contrived at this stage.
    The point where the show went off the cliff for me was the faux animated discussion about the Cork fans using Rebel flags.
    There was no nuanced debate on it all and it really showed them up for thier lack of research on the issue.

There is a you tube channel I listen to called tifo football.
    It discusses soccer tactics well researched etc.
    It has interesting sports guests and no cliches.
    You can tell that the presenters are left leaning politically.
    It is not as polished as some media outlets.
    But they do not preach they do not sneer at those with opposing views.

In contrast I would now view OTB as a "banal, mundane yawn fest".

They are like the spotty teenagers who are trying to be clever to impress the girl, but they don't know what they are talking about in thier rush to sound 'interesting'.

To me they are not real sports journalists, they are Arts/English students, who fell into journalism and happen to like sport. Unfortunately for them they were not good enough to play it at a pro level, so they ended up presenting a 'sports show'.
    In thier getting 'behind the issues of sport' the bread and butter stuff is ignored in favour of soliloquies and platitudes.
    The basics should not be forgotten.
    Inform the listener, get good guests, let the story be told.

Otherwise, it is the presenters that become the story, like a bad ref at a football match looking to get the attention.
    The above is applicable to Ger Gilroy and to an extent Joe Molloy but when Dave and Nathan are on, it's a totally different show. It's actually a proper sports show with no agenda.

The most annoying thing about Joe is that some of the best interviews come from him, he did a very good interview with Anthony Crolla on Tuesday night and I have zero interest in boxing but the problem is, I could tune into him the following day and he will be offended or upset by something and all his good work is instantly undone.

Although, as bad as Ger Gilroy is, no one and I mean no one is as painful as Adrian Barry. Can't stand him

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

siblers wrote: »
    The above is applicable to Ger Gilroy and to an extent Joe Molloy but when Dave and Nathan are on, it's a totally different show. It's actually a proper sports show with no agenda.

The most annoying thing about Joe is that some of the best interviews come from him, he did a very good interview with Anthony Crolla on Tuesday night and I have zero interest in boxing but the problem is, I could tune into him the following day and he will be offended or upset by something and all his good work is instantly undone.

Although, as bad as Ger Gilroy is, no one and I mean no one is as painful as Adrian Barry. Can't stand him

This is what frustrates me about him also. He's a talented broadcaster imo and has a bright future in this industry but he has to stop preaching and pontificating.

His boss should pull him aside and say listen son you're doing a good job but keep the political and social opinions to yourself, you're a sports broadcaster ok not a Talking Head, don't divide your audience.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

This is what frustrates me about him also. He's a talented broadcaster imo and has a bright future in this industry but he has to stop preaching and pontificating.

His boss should pull him aside and say listen son you're doing a good job but keep the political and social opinions to yourself, you're a sports broadcaster ok not a Talking Head, don't divide your audience.

His boss is Ger Gilroy isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Faugheen wrote: »
    His boss is Ger Gilroy isn't it?

I don't know to be honest.

I agree 100% is a decent show to listen to when Gilroy and Molloy are not on it.

As I said before I would love if Newstalk put up a rota for who is anchoring the show,

I agree 100% is a decent show to listen to when Gilroy and Molloy are not on it.

Molloy is the main reason I enjoy the show. Enjoy Nathan, Dave, also but Molloy does the very good interviews and any time he hosts the papers review it is worth listening to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Ger, Joe and Richie are definitely the main social justice crusaders on OTB. Ger and Joe are obvious but I remember Richie having an absolute conniption on twitter over the Ireland fans in Copenhagen last year. Joe in fairness has talent as an interviewer compared to the other two.

I always get the sense that Dave and Nathan would rather just stick to sport and much eye rolling ensues at times with them.

Ger, Joe and Richie are definitely the main social justice crusaders on OTB. Ger and Joe are obvious but I remember Richie having an absolute conniption on twitter over the Ireland fans in Copenhagen last year. Joe in fairness has talent as an interviewer compared to the other two.

I always get the sense that Dave and Nathan would rather just stick to sport and much eye rolling ensues at times with them.

I downloaded a recent Sunday paper review, saw Richie was doing it and immediatley deleted it. I had a look at his twitter feed over the Copenhagen incident, it was painful to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

The interview with A Crolla was a great example how good Joe can be when cuts out all the SJW stuff.

Dave McIntyre is my favourite of all the presenters - usually a great job on commentary too. I don't hear Nathan as often but he seems fine when I do catch him.

If Ger or Richie are presenting I turn the show off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

there was a couple of seconds of radio gold some time last week, when nathan and richie were doing the sportsround, and the subject of the cleveland indians ditching their logo came up. richie was very right on about it, until someone texted in asking if Notre Dame should ditch their fighting Irish logo. there was a couple of seconds of silence where richie was thinking why the hell this would be an issue, before realising the situation he has put himself in.

Half dacent paper review today. Only sports stories discussed. Very enjoyable.

Seems "RichieMc" is the man himself.....

What you mean?

I was listening to that David Brady fella on about Mayo v Galway (interview with Joe) Brady sounds like he is talking sense most of the time.
    He was very anti the rough stuff in his talk.
    But, I cannot help thinking of the stuff he said last year

1) Tyrone will beat Dublin the the AI semi-final 2017 and implied they would put it up to them physically.

2) He said that Con O'Callaghan's inexperience will show against Mayo in the AI final and implied he could be 'got at' (Con scored a goal in early on and was pushing for man of the match)

I would love if Brady was pulled up about some of the stuff he has said in the past, or is it just forgotten about?

I was listening to that David Brady fella on about Mayo v Galway (interview with Joe) Brady sounds like he is talking sense most of the time.
    He was very anti the rough stuff in his talk.
    But, I cannot help thinking of the stuff he said last year

1) Tyrone will beat Dublin the the AI semi-final 2017 and implied they would put it up to them physically.

2) He said that Con O'Callaghan's inexperience will show against Mayo in the AI final and implied he could be 'got at' (Con scored a goal in early on and was pushing for man of the match)

I would love if Brady was pulled up about some of the stuff he has said in the past, or is it just forgotten about?

I don't see the issue? They are just opinions, thankfully in relation to sport and not sociology. He's paid to give them and he doesn't have to be correct any of the time for that. Look on the bright side: he ain't talking about doping, child abuse in swimming, equal pay for women soccer players or knickers in Copenhagen. That's nice for a change.

• Advertisement

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    I don't see the issue? They are just opinions, thankfully in relation to sport and not sociology. He's paid to give them and he doesn't have to be correct any of the time for that. Look on the bright side: he ain't talking about doping, child abuse in swimming, equal pay for women soccer players or knickers in Copenhagen. That's nice for a change.

Exactly which is why I am discussing sport and not the other stuff.
    The other craic has been well discussed at this stage.

Anyway my point is Brady contradicts himself a lot.
    He was for physicality now he is against it.
    Maybe he is going down the Joe Brolly route and just saying things for the craic?

Exactly which is why I am discussing sport and not the other stuff.
    The other craic has been well discussed at this stage.

Anyway my point is Brady contradicts himself a lot.
    He was for physicality now he is against it.
    Maybe he is going down the Joe Brolly route and just saying things for the craic?

Seems to be the "media tactic du jour". I'm just glad of the reports back that they actually talked sport tonight. No tut-tuting at the Mayo/Galway violence you say? No "this is no way for kids' role models to behave" soundbites from any panel member? I might get back on the OTB train at this rate.

I might get back on the OTB train at this rate.[/B]

Funny enough I thought a similar thing myself.
    But, I thought isn't great to be giving out about sport again. :D

Jayesdiem wrote:
    Seems to be the "media tactic du jour". I'm just glad of the reports back that they actually talked sport tonight. No tut-tuting at the Mayo/Galway violence you say? No "this is no way for kids' role models to behave" soundbites from any panel member? I might get back on the OTB train at this rate.

They analysed the dynamics around the violence as normal tonight. And like normal, it was interesting.

Jayesdiem wrote:

They analysed the dynamics around the violence as normal tonight. And like normal, it was interesting.

Like THEY normally would: " this is a black day for the GAA"

Or like a normal, unoffended person would: "player x seemed to be getting on the nerves of player y all day etc....."

You'll have to specify ;)

• Advertisement

Jayesdiem wrote:
    You'll have to specify

Or you'll have to listen to find out....

Jayesdiem wrote:
    You'll have to specify

Or you'll have to listen to find out....

Pass for now.

What you mean?

Oh, he had thanked ballymchughs post about him.. Seems he's undone it now.

Boards ID is richiemc and he reads his fan mail...

Kenny is one of my favourite OTB guests but can somebody please ask him to stop saying "the football club".

Good show tonight. They definitely seem to be cutting back on the activism...

Kenny is one of my favourite OTB guests but can somebody please ask him to stop saying "the football club".

That is hilarious!! Lots of soccer lads do that too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Brady said kildare would beat dublin in Leinster final. He said it definitively. Not just as an opinion.

He comes out with a lot of daft off the top of his head stuff...but there are many GAA media heads who are similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Kenny always does that, it’s like his tick with his eyebrows! I don’t think he can help himself.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Brady said kildare would beat dublin in Leinster final. He said it definitively. Not just as an opinion.

He comes out with a lot of daft off the top of his head stuff...but there are many GAA media heads who are similar.

That isn't just limited to GAA pundits.

In golf, there's Colin Montgomery.
    In soccer, there's Paul Merson.
    In Rugby, there's Stuart Barnes.
    In cycling, there's Carlton Kirby.

Some people say ludicrous things but it provokes conversation within the studio and sometimes, there is a grain of truth in it.

I like David, he is very passionate about the GAA and his enthusiasm for football is infectious.

Look at this thread, all sorts of different opinions. Some of the sensible, some of them... not so much. :D

That isn't just limited to GAA pundits.

In golf, there's Colin Montgomery.
    In soccer, there's Paul Merson.
    In Rugby, there's Stuart Barnes.
    In cycling, there's Carlton Kirby.

Some people say ludicrous things but it provokes conversation within the studio and sometimes, there is a grain of truth in it.

Brady seems to enjoy going the Pantomime route these days..Brolly must be considering retiring or something.
    In fairness to Brady he does come out with some hilarious stuff.
    Was it on an OTB roadshow where he explained he thought his car was robbed was walking around for ages.
    He had a white van of some description as his landmark.
    Then realised there were a number of different white vans in the area not just the one he parked beside.
    He was convinced too suspicious looking young Dubs took it who "looked like they were up to no good"

There is a touch of the Father Dougal and Father Ted about him.
    But as for taking him seriously.
    That ship has sailed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Dots1982 wrote: »

I thought most people thought of David Brady as a bit of comic relief rather than being a serious analyst anyway.

• Advertisement

Really enjoyed the paper review again yesterday. Not to everyone's taste I'd imagine but I thought it was good.

I enjoy the FA Cup Sundays with no live commentary as discussions are more interesting in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Really enjoyed the paper review again yesterday. Not to everyone's taste I'd imagine but I thought it was good.

I enjoy the FA Cup Sundays with no live commentary as discussions are more interesting in my view.

Ya, they had good content to work off this week, not sure I get having a political commentator on the paper review though, he has good knowledge to be fair but just doesn't add enough imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

was surprised on Satrurday that neither off the ball or rte had no live coverage of the leinster and munster matches, thought they would have been decent air fillers for either station

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

neris wrote:
    was surprised on Satrurday that neither off the ball or rte had no live coverage of the leinster and munster matches, thought they would have been decent air fillers for either station

Rte radio had the Leinster game. TG4 has the tv rights and they showed GAA instead. Both were on Sky Sports Main Event so maybe thats why TG4 didn't

I thought the paper review (the only remaining OTB show I listen to) was ok this week. Joe creamed his pants for a full 28 mins over a mundane interview between Kimmage two of the golf heads but things would improve after that. These insightful Kimmage interviews make me laugh. Joe marvelled at how McIlroy worries about how long his parents will be alive and that was absolutely riveting. However, it couldn't compare to the to the revelation that Rory remembers the names of the cities he plays golf in. Phenomenal stuff altogether and of course, it wouldn't be the Sunday paper review without a story of child abuse in sport and, of course, we got that right before the end. All in all, par for the course, no pun intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »

I'm shocked. :eek:

When I was listening to it yesterday, I actually thought Jayesdiem would have no time for this.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

My god is it that difficult to get Pat Nevin on a decent phone line?
    Sounds like he's fallen down a well today.

ziggy wrote: »
    I thought the paper review (the only remaining OTB show I listen to) was ok this week. Joe creamed his pants for a full 28 mins over a mundane interview between Kimmage two of the golf heads but things would improve after that. These insightful Kimmage interviews make me laugh. Joe marvelled at how McIlroy worries about how long his parents will be alive and that was absolutely riveting. However, it couldn't compare to the to the revelation that Rory remembers the names of the cities he plays golf in. Phenomenal stuff altogether and of course, it wouldn't be the Sunday paper review without a story of child abuse in sport and, of course, we got that right before the end. All in all, par for the course, no pun intended.
    I'm puzzled.

As one of the people on here who moans that this is a sports show and should just cover sports, why do you not moan about the paper review?

I'm equally puzzled. Was I not just complaining about the paper review? (Unless you are being sarcastic).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement