Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

ziggy wrote: »

It’s the “only remaining thing I listen to”[/quote]

Yes? "the only remaining OTB show I listen to". You'll have to explain further. I'm not getting you......

If you are confused as to why I still listen it's because a) when on topic, it's the only good show left on OTB and b) I'm now genuinely invested in how much more off-topic and obscure the show can become. That in itself is an interesting pursuit as we see Newstalk's toy department's delusions of grandeur play out on the airwaves. For Jaysis sake, that's a sport in itself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,082 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Yes? "the only remaining OTB show I listen to". You'll have to explain further. I'm not getting you......

If you are confused as to why I still listen it's because a) when on topic, it's the only good show left on OTB and b) I'm now genuinely invested in how much more off-topic and obscure the show can become. That in itself is an interesting pursuit as we see Newstalk's toy department's delusions of grandeur play out on the airwaves. For Jaysis sake, that's a sport in itself!

Well, you'll be happy (or sad) to know that they discussed the Barry Brunell story to night and reckon that that is only the tip of the iceberg with respect to sex abuse by football coaches.

My god is it that difficult to get Pat Nevin on a decent phone line?
    Sounds like he's fallen down a well today.

That's probably one of my only complaints about Newstalk, the quality of their sound can be very poor. More often than not, they seem to prefer Skype calls than phone lines. Pretty sure this was the case with Nevin this evening.

It happens across the station, on Friday last Pat Kenny was talking to Frank Greaney about the rugby players trial in Belfast, Frank was obviously on Skype, sitting in a hotel room. IT kept dropping and Pat was ticked and told him in no short terms that they'd take a break and come back on a better line. A minute later, Frank had managed to pick the phone up and call in. Much better.

Well, you'll be happy (or sad) to know that they discussed the Barry Brunell story to night and reckon that that is only the tip of the iceberg with respect to sex abuse by football coaches.

It's not a sports story. It's a horror story that occurred in the environment of various football clubs. They locked up a paedophile from Birmingham Uni today - that is no more relevant to the sports fan.

• Advertisement

Jayesdiem wrote:
    It's not a sports story. It's a horror story that occurred in the environment of various football clubs. They locked up a paedophile from Birmingham Uni today - that is no more relevant to the sports fan.

Completely disagree.
    It happened within a Sports club, to Sports people by Sports people and has been covered up by Sports clubs and possibly Sports governing bodies.

Jayesdiem wrote:

Completely disagree.
    It happened within a Sports club, to Sports people by Sports people and has been covered up by Sports clubs and possibly Sports governing bodies.

And this is the type of thing that sports fans want to hear about, day in day out? In newspaper parlance, this is front, not back page, news.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Jayesdiem wrote:
    And this is the type of thing that sports fans want to hear about, day in day out? In newspaper parlance, this is front, not back page, news.

Its a sports story, every sports news site and paper have been covering it and its very relevant recently as the court case just eneded for Bennell. They covered on the Sunday Supplement as well and they rarely stray away from soccer to anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

It is the kind of thing a lot of sports fans want to hear about, yes.

I don't give a fiddlers about golf; I just skipped past that part of the paper review. I know other people do want to hear about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote:

What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

A tribute to Andy Lee tonight as he just announced his retirement.

I know he has quite a few fans around here for anyone not listening..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Who is the guy interviewing Billy Joe Padden..

Why the **** is he constantly referring to a bloody spread when analysing a game?

Anyone know if there is a way to listen to Keith Andrews show in podcast/audio only?

I don't listen to OTB every night but I tend to listen for the full 3 hours when it's good. Very noticeable improvement/change in the last few weeks from what I have heard.

Jayesdiem wrote:

Completely disagree.

I find absolutely no issue with covering this kind of topic or the current rape case for example. They are genuine stories in the world of sport.

When it comes to the McIlroy-Trump stuff, MON comments or endless stories about racism, female (or otherwise) sports that nobody watches or cares about I draw a line. That's when it becomes self indulgent crap for me and not a sports show.

They have also done doping to the point of parody. Kimmage is like Dunphy at this point.

They have also done doping to the point of parody. Kimmage is like Dunphy at this point.

They're not inventing the doping stories though.
    It's the single biggest influence on sporting performance worldwide in my view. There isn't a sport unaffected by it, from GAA to curling.
    Personally, I think we need people like Kimmage and shows like OTB to keep at it.

People don't like it, maybe because it makes them nervous to acknowledge it, maybe because they're only interested in sports for the entertainment it brings, like a film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

A tribute to Andy Lee tonight as he just announced his retirement.

I know he has quite a few fans around here for anyone not listening..

Absolutely love listening to Andy Lee talk boxing. I'd be a very casual fan of the sport, but he seems to get down to talking about the base realities with the minimum of fuss and he can't help but educate you a bit - I always find what he has to say fascinating and most of it is just cold hard facts: he's just a natural.

Good luck to him, I hope we hear more from him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's the single biggest influence on sporting performance worldwide in my view. There isn't a sport unaffected by it, from GAA to curling.
    Personally, I think we need people like Kimmage and shows like OTB to keep at it.

People don't like it, maybe because it makes them nervous to acknowledge it, maybe because they're only interested in sports for the entertainment it brings, like a film.

Also, if you're putting out hours and hours...and hours of sports coverage every week you have to start talking about it in a wider context: you're almost obliged too. All of the best sports journalism down through the ages has had more on its mind than just mere entertainment.

Not saying for a single second - Jesus no! - that I'd put the boys on OTB anywhere near that pedestal, but I understand why they cover the type of sporting stories they do.

I suppose I'm in the latter camp.. It's not going away so let them at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

You know, I was just beginning to enjoy Joe Molloy's broadcasting again, until he spent an hour ..... yet again... going on about how Rory McIlroy went for a round of gold with Trump. Jesus Christ, he gives me a pain in my face. I think the most underhanded thing about the way they handle such topics is that they present their own opinion as the morally correct and right opinion, before then asking the guest for their opinion, by which point it is impossible for them to do anything but agree with the presenter.
    I think at this stage Jessica Kelly is nearly the only presenter on NT that doesn't try to ram her political views and morals down your throat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

You know, I was just beginning to enjoy Joe Molloy's broadcasting again, until he spent an hour ..... yet again... going on about how Rory McIlroy went for a round of gold with Trump. Jesus Christ, he gives me a pain in my face. I think the most underhanded thing about the way they handle such topics is that they present their own opinion as the morally correct and right opinion, before then asking the guest for their opinion, by which point it is impossible for them to do anything but agree with the presenter.
    I think at this stage Jessica Kelly is nearly the only presenter on NT that doesn't try to ram her political views and morals down your throat.

For a dyed in the wool liberal, Joe is huge fan of the most conservative right-wing sport on the planet apart from Nascar. No wonder he's confused.

Jesus. When did this happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Jesus. When did this happen?

Well, they talked about it for a few minutes in the paper review last Sunday.

I noticed there were social justice warrior antics from Molloy when he's on TV3. He's a proper sports presenter, and a good one, and leaves his political views at the door. I wonder what it is about the Newstalk environment that makes him think that it's okay to turn the sports show in to Global Village. It must be coming from the top, Gilroy. You probably need to cut the head off the snake to change the preaching culture of the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭santino

I noticed there were social justice warrior antics from Molloy when he's on TV3. He's a proper sports presenter, and a good one, and leaves his political views at the door. I wonder what it is about the Newstalk environment that makes him think that it's okay to turn the sports show in to Global Village. It must be coming from the top, Gilroy. You probably need to cut the head off the snake to change the preaching culture of the show.

I agree. I think Joe has been doing well on TV3. I do get the feeling Ger is top dog in OTB and sets the agenda. I have my own opinions on the guy (from a purely broadcasting/ professional point of view) but won't bother posting them. He does seem to be ambitious and has been good for 'brand OTB', if not the content/direction of the show itself.

On a slightly different topic, the OTB Roadshow last Friday, did anyone here attend, or ever attend one of these things? I listened to half of the podcast this morning. Full disclaimer I have dramatically cut down on listening to the show over the last 12 months and only occasionally listen to the rugby/soccer shows so I avoid (somewhat) the SJW rants etc. that have been well discussed. However, the banter that goes on at these roadshows is cringe-worthy, from a listening point of view anyway, it might be different if you're actually in attendance. It comes across like a real 'boys club' and there isn't a sniff of any SJW'ing. In fact, it seems to swing 180 degrees and they indulge in talk that might be 'offensive' to some (not me per se). And the (unnecessary) swearing goes off the charts for some reason (one of the guests, Martyn Williams, seemed genuinely shocked when Ger said that the crowds reaction was 'Bulls@it'. Again I def. have no problem with swearing but why go from 'whiter than white' during the week to 'having the bants with the lads' for 2/3 hours on these nights? I know it's a different spin on the programme and they have to put on a bit of a 'show' (and lest not forget that some of the audience might be well tanked up by then) but it stinks of hypocrisy. That might sound harsh but they're well able to dish it out so I think they should be pulled up on it from the other side.

Also, it might seem like an obvious question but, is the main motivation for staging these events revenue generating? Must you pay for tickets or is a free gig? I've no problem with this, they operate in a commercial world but they were sponsored by Heineken this time I believe (more hypocrisy there surely from our moral conscience champions, on top of having been sponsored by betting companies). My main gripe is that most of these shows are not listener-friendly (e.g. 'look at this clip of our guest (Martyn Williams) missing a penalty kick in a HEC semi final' or 'listen to our Crappy Quiz where the guests are throwing rugby balls around blindfolded'). Ger also goes into insulting mode at this point, he often remarks on the contestants brought up from the crowd, for comedic effect I guess, but they come across as snide little comments and are def. not funny.

It's probably not fair to drag this old chestnut up but for comparison sake, Second Captains produce a better overall product by a country mile. They can be somewhat jaded the odd time (and some of their sport topics would not interest me) but when they get it right they're more entertaining, smart and engaging than OTB and there can be a genuine sense of fun on the show. They can ask short, direct questions without being boring or losing the listener (and themselves) half way through (cough). They are beginning to beat the 'world service' drum to death but they are in business too and do not rely on sponsors anymore. That's to be respected.

I think you misunderstand entirely the context of the 2 shows. Live game broadcast host with 3 panelists versus magazine show.

I don't get the SJW things on the radio that annoy some, I hear a broadcaster talking about the personalities involved in the game and "what makes them tick" but even if I just don't see/hear it, the show types are very different.

You'd expect a much different conversation type on a radio magazine show than on TV the day of a match.

santino wrote: »
    However, the banter that goes on at these roadshows is cringe-worthy, from a listening point of view anyway, it might be different if you're actually in attendance. It comes across like a real 'boys club' and there isn't a sniff of any SJW'ing. In fact, it seems to swing 180 degrees and they indulge in talk that might be 'offensive' to some (not me per se).

Yeah I've noted this before as well. It's generally when all the rugger lads are in for their He-Man pints and share their war stories. Well, when I say war stories, it's invariably some cheapshot at a defenseless lad at the bottom of the ruck or similar. "Keith Wood raked my leg with his cogs and I got 14 stitches" - cue rapturous applause from the audience. And I'm saying to myself .. Where are our usual pious OTB presenters? Are they not there wagging their finger at such a wanton, cowardly act of violence?
    I think part of it is human nature as well. It's their live event and the rugby players are their guests, so any indiscretions are forgiven. In the same way that at a recent OTB soccer roadshow, there was no furore about when Stuart Pearse used the word "poof". Yet, when Martin O'Neill was giving an interview to another station and used the word "queer" (for which he immediately apologised), OTB spent a week vilifying him.

Some excellent truth-saying these last few posts

• Advertisement

Very good piece with Marcus O'Sullivan, Irish athlete from the 80's on show tonight.
    Ran sub 4 minute miles 101 times in career.

Very good piece with Marcus O'Sullivan, Irish athlete from the 80's on show tonight.

Yeah, it was good. Interesting story. Joe is well able to do good interviews. When he keeps to the sport, he is probably my favourite sports broadcaster.

Yeah, it was good. Interesting story. Joe is well able to do good interviews. When he keeps to the sport, he is probably my favourite sports broadcaster.

In this case, I would have liked him to have brought up Salazar and doping links to Farah given the expert view on the line.

I wonder was it removed from possible topics beforehand or did it just not come up. He did talk about O'Sullivans take on what happened in the 100M in the Seoul Olympics which O'Sullivan was at.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Historybluff

Yes, the interview with O'Sullivan was good. It's great when you get an athlete who has the personality, intelligence and vocabulary to express himself clearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,967 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I listened to it on podcast.
    Very insightful interview.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

closeline wrote: »
    Who is the guy interviewing Billy Joe Padden..

Why the **** is he constantly referring to a bloody spread when analysing a game?

Anyone? Is it Nathan Murphy?

That interview with Karen Leach was difficult but compelling listening. It must be so difficult for the parents of children abused by people like Derry O'Rourke. They are trying to be good parents by helping their child to achieve their dreams, but unwittingly handing them over to an abuser. It must have been devastating for them to find out about what happened. It was a very good interview.

I agree with you.. The moral high ground that they portray is pretty annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The listener should never be intimidated by pundits and presenters.

Think for yourself is my advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

"The Kerrys, the Corks, the Dublins of this world". There is only ONE Kerry. ONE Cork. ONE Dublin. Grrrr.... Everytime on GAA on OTB.

Or, as yer man says: "Curry"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,974 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The lads were giving out a few weeks ago about the Irish channels showing Liverpool and United CL games at every opportunity, so should be happy tonight...

Listening back to one of the football pod's from last week. They had Paddy Agnew on talking about the Italian League, and very good he was. Is Paddy still with the Irish Times or is free-lancing? Just curious with the ongoing IT ban...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Listening back to one of the football pod's from last week. They had Paddy Agnew on talking about the Italian League, and very good he was. Is Paddy still with the Irish Times or is free-lancing? Just curious with the ongoing IT ban...
    Seems to be freelance now, nothing on the IT site since March 2017 
    https://www.irishtimes.com/profile/paddy-agnew-7.1837383

He was also good on the stand with Dunphy this week

Edit: more here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i think i read it in the phoenix recently, there was a bit of a falling out between him and the irish times. he was to take them to court in Italy, along the same lines that ryanair staff can take action in the country they are based, not where the company itself is.

Seems to be freelance now, nothing on the IT site since March 2017 
    https://www.irishtimes.com/profile/paddy-agnew-7.1837383

He was also good on the stand with Dunphy this week

Edit: more here

i think i read it in the phoenix recently, there was a bit of a falling out between him and the irish times. he was to take them to court in Italy, along the same lines that ryanair staff can take action in the country they are based, not where the company itself is.

Thanks for that, makes more sense now I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭styron

Sunday Times (17/9/17) - On the face of it, odious treatment of Agnew by IT management:
    The Irish Times is being sued by its Rome correspondent in an Italian labour court for tens of thousands of euros after his employment with the newspaper was terminated acrimoniously after 31 years.

Paddy Agnew, who is still listed as the newspaper’s Rome correspondent on its website, has not written for the newspaper since last March. Recent stories published by The Irish Times concerning Italy were provided by Reuters or the Associated Press agencies.

Agnew, author of the book Forza Italia: A Journey In Search of Italy and its Football, has written for The Irish Times since 1986. His departure has upset a number of his former colleagues. He recently wrote to other journalists in the newspaper to tell them how his employment was “summarily terminated” in a manner that caused him both “angst and sadness”.

Last February 8 he met then editor Kevin O’Sullivan at his own request for what he thought was a normal meeting for a foreign correspondent back in Dublin. At the meeting, O’Sullivan said Agnew’s €50,000 salary would be cut to €20,000 because of the newspaper’s financial difficulties. Agnew said this was the first time a cut was raised with him.

The following day he wrote to the editor pointing out the effect this would have on him given The Irish Times represented 90% of his income. A month later O’Sullivan phoned him to say the cut would be to €15,000. He said Deirdre Veldon, the Irish Times’s managing editor, then wrote to him to say the paper needed to end its arrangement with him from March 31. “Her letter offered no contract/salary/payment at all,” wrote Agnew. “Zero. Three weeks notice at the end of 31 years.”

After Agnew wrote to Liam Kavanagh, managing director of The Irish Times, and some board members to complain about his treatment he was offered a new contract. This required up to six articles a week for €500, global exclusivity, a renunciation of all his employment rights and an ex gratia payment of €50,000.

Agnew rejected this and a later 18% improved offer because “they did not represent a fair severance settlement in view of a pensionless future”. Both contracts “required roughly double the work for 50% of the salary”.

He said he did not write for the paper after March in the absence of an agreement. This prompted the newspaper to say that because he had “turned down assignments” it was forced to “terminate” the relationship.

Agnew said it was “staggering” to discover after 31 years reporting on earthquakes, floods, volcanic eruptions, Popes, three World Cups, five European Championships, three G7/8s, mafia cases, Berlusconi and his “bunga bunga”, and much else besides, that “one was never ‘employed’ ”.

He said his Italian lawyer advised him that the newspaper had incurred “serious liabilities” to him given that “a verbal contract resulted in a modest salary” with no provision for pension or social welfare contributions.

Last week neither Kavanagh nor Paul O’Neill, the new editor of The Irish Times, responded to requests for comment.

That's shameful. I always enjoyed listening to and reading Paddy's contributions. Hopefully he gets what he is entitled to here.

Re Carragher story.. The moral high ground from the boys again. They'd want to be careful, if they fell off it, I'd be a desperate fall.

Re Carragher story.. The moral high ground from the boys again. They'd want to be careful, if they fell off it, I'd be a desperate fall.

Give over. It was all over social media yesterday and unlike lots on that, none of them last night felt he should lose his job over it.
    They brought up Kevin Kilbane giving two fingers to Sunderland fans as part of the conversation. It was fine.

Pretty much agree. Before seeing the video I expected a lot more aggravation from the driver but you'd think Carragher killed somebody based on the melodramatic response from Joe and the lads!!

Stupidity on both sides but give it a rest!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement