Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Patww79 wrote: »

Didn't follow anything else about it so maybe that skewed my opinion.

I thought Joe was absolutely ridiculous!! A former professional footballer spat at some idiot taunting him from a car? Real shocker..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Pretty much agree. Before seeing the video I expected a lot more aggravation from the driver but you'd think Carragher killed somebody based on the melodramatic response from Joe and the lads!!

Stupidity on both sides but give it a rest!

Personally, I think it is a real low.
    Gives the likes of the Sun plenty of ammunition.

I mean do people normally spit out car windows at people?

Between Carragher launching gobs at a thick in car, Henry and his handball history, Gary Neville and his mysonginstic brother, not to mention Gary's laughable attempt at management, Team Sky in the Cycling...

There has not been as much 'side news /soap opera' Sky stuff since Keyes and Gray.

It's great craic!

ZA3W81k.png

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I heard a bit of the discussion about the 1972 nations.
    It was enjoyable (even though I am only a very casual rugby watcher at best.)

It was Nathan interviewing Willie John McBride.

McBride reminded me of a Rugby version of John Giles.
    He liked things done 'the right way' with no fuss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,077 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Patww79 wrote:

Think it's on from 11:00 on Friday nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Patww79 wrote: »
    Is Team 33 ever aired on Newstalk or is it a podcast only? Probably my favourite thing from the lot of the OtB stuff.

That & GAA on OTB are the only bits I podcast.

Can I ask again why OTB & Newstalk mention it so little?

They can't do the sports news on Pat Kenny without mentioning brand OTB, if they have a live show it's mentioned 5,000 times across the day yet Team 33 never, ever gets a mention anywhere. Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    That & GAA on OTB are the only bits I podcast.

Can I ask again why OTB & Newstalk mention it so little?

They can't do the sports news on Pat Kenny without mentioning brand OTB, if they have a live show it's mentioned 5,000 times across the day yet Team 33 never, ever gets a mention anywhere. Why?

i've a feeling there's different management there, not sure if they fall under the sports structure like under adrian or ger. could be completely wrong but they did win best sports show a couple of years ago at the PPI and there was hardly a mention of it on OTB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

I heard a bit of the discussion about the 1972 nations.
    It was enjoyable (even though I am only a very casual rugby watcher at best.)
    Thought it was very strange that they should have been so adamant about playing a rugby game when people were dying on the streets of Derry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Didn't follow anything else about it so maybe that skewed my opinion.

I thought Joe was absolutely ridiculous!! A former professional footballer spat at some idiot taunting him from a car? Real shocker..

In all fairness I know Carragher is as common as fcuk but it's still pretty shocking behaviour to see from a grown adult.

Thought it was very strange that they should have been so adamant about playing a rugby game when people were dying on the streets of Derry.

It did cross my mind I suppose they didn't view themselves as politicians or political.

McBride mentioned apolitical a fair bit in the interview.

Plus they played a tour in South Africa in 1974 when there was apartheid.

That was not mentioned in the interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

re : Paper review 18th March

Hugh Farrelly doesn't have the personality for radio.

Dan McDonnell excellent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

the activity on this thread of late, or lack thereof is quite telling. I tuned out some months ago from newstalk altogether, it’s absolute muck. the only thing that could make it worse would be getting that global village show back.

heard some incoherent rant with no direction by two contributors by chance earlier about i think sports facilities in ireland but i’ve no idea because it was barstool pub talk which was driven by pure emotion. One of them sounded pissed to be honest, absolute waffle. What a pile of ****e this show is.

sightband wrote: »
    the activity on this thread of late, or lack thereof is quite telling. I tuned out some months ago from newstalk altogether, it’s absolute muck. the only thing that could make it worse would be getting that global village show back.

heard some incoherent rant with no direction by two contributors by chance earlier about i think sports facilities in ireland but i’ve no idea because it was barstool pub talk which was driven by pure emotion. One of them sounded pissed to be honest, absolute waffle. What a pile of ****e this show is.

thought that was a pretty interesting conversation actually. after the kick up about private schools in Shane Ross' constituency and everyone up in arms, found out in that segment about Jim McDaid and John Donoghue doing the exact same for clubs in donegal and kerry while they were the ministers.

thought that was a pretty interesting conversation actually. after the kick up about private schools in Shane Ross' constituency and everyone up in arms, found out in that segment about Jim McDaid and John Donoghue doing the exact same for clubs in donegal and kerry while they were the ministers.

I heard a few minutes of it (on and off) like you I thought it was a good piece and I was pleasantly surprised by it.

But I also agree with
    the activity on this thread of late, or lack thereof is quite telling. I tuned out some months ago from newstalk altogether,

I only dip in and out of listening to the show on occasion now to see if there is anything worth listening to on the car radio or the like.

But I don't go out of my way to listen to it anymore.
    I almost expect it to be bad if Molloy or Gilroy is on at this stage.
    If it is not I am surprised.

Ironically, I think Molloy has found his niche with the rugby on TV3 I thought he acquitted himself well.
    As rugby ex-players and pundits are fond of saying "it was a big ask" for Molloy and he did well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I thought Joe did very well on TV3. Fair play to him.

I heard a few minutes of it (on and off) like you I thought it was a good piece and I was pleasantly surprised by it.

But I also agree with

I only dip in and out of listening to the show on occasion now to see if there is anything worth listening to on the car radio or the like.

But I don't go out of my way to listen to it anymore.
    I almost expect it to be bad if Molloy or Gilroy is on at this stage.
    If it is not I am surprised.

Ironically, I think Molloy has found his niche with the rugby on TV3 I thought he acquitted himself well.
    As rugby ex-players and pundits are fond of saying "it was a big ask" for Molloy and he did well.

it's the golf chat that wrecks my head. joe just needs to stop rubbing one out over tiger woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Totally agree. I think it's fair to say I'm seen as the number 1 complainer on this thread but such is my apathy to the show, I can't listen anymore. I do the paper review weekly and everything else is absolute tripe. Not sure if they've toned down the SJW stuff of late as I haven't listened but the mundane content (player interviews etc) is so unbelievably boring. This time three years ago I just HAD to listen to almost every OTB podcast. I found it unmissable. These days, there are several podcasts to replace the drivel Newstalk are producing. It's clear Wooly's face didn't fit there and that's actually a great thing because if you want critical, thoughtful GAA analysis and interviews you'd actually consider listening to, look no further than his podcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

I caught the conversation on the school sports capital funding and found it enlightening. A really enjoyable listen to people who clearly knew their stuff, and cared deeply about it. Top notch radio.

On the downside, they opened Wednesday night rugby with a montage of commentary covering the grand slam that was dire. Really bland, and seemed absent any of the joy of the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

I think Wooly brought out of the best in Joe. That was my favourite combo in all the years I have listened to OTB.

The show was more lighthearted and often a good laugh. A complete contrast to NT daytime content.

That contrast is much less apparent nowadays but I think it's got better since Gilroy isn't on at night so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Surprise surprise he has a book out

Edit. What an idiot.

Such bull****. It's not Paddy Power's fault that this guy STOLE all the money from the post office and blew it on a horse. Why is he being treated like the victim in this, almost the hero of the piece? Why dont they ask him when he's paying the f**king money back?

Yep. Playing the victim. Comes across as a total gob****e.

For anyone who didn’t listen. He stole 100s of thousands to throw on silly bets and lost something like 10 million.

Yeah, but it seems that Declan wants the betting industry to take full responsibility for everything and Tony Thief to take none. They really have some skewed morals in there in that cesspit known as Off The Ball Towers.
    I can't wait for all the hand wringing from them when the four rugby lads get off. That should be worth tuning in for.

Yes, Declan Whatshisface always seems to be in tow with this guy. Heard him on another show and won't be listening to this. To play devil's advocate, at least he did do some time so didn't get off scot free but I can only imagine whoever hosted tonight's show was firmly behind the corporate = bad mantra. It defies belief that personal responsibility could be swept to one side in such a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

Such bull****. It's not Paddy Power's fault that this guy STOLE all the money from the post office and blew it on a horse. Why is he being treated like the victim in this, almost the hero of the piece? Why dont they ask him when he's paying the f**king money back?

Powers have to take a huge amount of the blame in this. Absolute vermin of an organisation. This guy was betting in such vast sums that Powers would have known where he worked, how much he roughly earned and plenty more about him. It would have been obvious to them where the money was coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

I think he made it very clear that he was taking full responsibility for his actions BUT that doesn’t mean that some changes can take place in the industry to help / prevent people from getting into similar situations.

In terms of addiction related crimes I would place his on the lower scale. There are numerous cases of alcoholic drink drivers killing pedestrians or other road user and avoiding prison completely.

Bar men can be held accountable for over serving a punter, seems to make sense that a bookmaker can too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭hawley

Yeah, but it seems that Declan wants the betting industry to take full responsibility for everything and Tony Thief to take none. They really have some skewed morals in there in that cesspit known as Off The Ball Towers.
    I can't wait for all the hand wringing from them when the four rugby lads get off. That should be worth tuning in for.

Tony said that his prison sentence should have been much longer and that he didn't deserve to get off so lightly. Also the narrative of how it unfolded was well explained, it doesn't seem like you listened to the interview. Paddy Power(the owner) rang Tony after he had gone on a massive winning streak over a few days. PP had blocked Tony's account, but after the conversation they knew that he was a mug, so they opened it again. Personally I don't blame any betting organisation for taking money, the reality is that they don't care about people who bet with them.

Brendan Griffin, junior minister for sport on discussing grants controversy. He was actually very good. Lots of sensible points made.
    Think Ger was a bit frustrated that he didn't elicit a soundbite out of it.

I see OTB are doing their own Bart's People now with that new square Eoin Sheehan.

Brendan Griffin, junior minister for sport on discussing grants controversy. He was actually very good. Lots of sensible points made.

For once I am on Newstalk's side when it comes to moral issues. It seems the game is rigged against lower income areas given that funding must be matched. In case anyone thinks I'm softening, I see this as a sports story with a social twist. Not a social story with a sports twist. The feminism, liberalism and racism can still f*ck right off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

For anyone who didn’t listen. He stole 100s of thousands to throw on silly bets and lost something like 10 million.

yeah, but but he has a book out about it, which makes it all better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I heard it and turned it off. Ger has actually lost all the feel he used to have

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

hawley wrote: »
    Tony said that his prison sentence should have been much longer and that he didn't deserve to get off so lightly. Also the narrative of how it unfolded was well explained, it doesn't seem like you listened to the interview. Paddy Power(the owner) rang Tony after he had gone on a massive winning streak over a few days. PP had blocked Tony's account, but after the conversation they knew that he was a mug, so they opened it again. Personally I don't blame any betting organisation for taking money, the reality is that they don't care about people who bet with them.

Is there any kind of Son of Sam law in Ireland? He shouldn’t make a cent out of it at the very least.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Fantastic listening this afternoon, guys in who climbed Everest and took blood samples etc from it. Really worth a listen if you missed it

+1. Very informative and entertaining.

• Advertisement

Is there any kind of Son of Sam law in Ireland? He shouldn’t make a cent out of it at the very least.

In fairness to the guy he seems very remorseful and he is now working as an addiction counsellor. The behavior of the bookies was reprehensible but I suppose to them it’s business-They don’t give a fiddlers about the punter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Brendan Griffin, junior minister for sport on discussing grants controversy. He was actually very good. Lots of sensible points made. Think Ger was a bit frustrated that he didn't elicit a soundbite out of it.

Yeah he came across very well I thought, hopefully what he says comes to fruition! Ger was trying his best to rile him up and be the man of the people. OTB didnt even know about the lack of facilities in the libertinies area until Paul Rouse was on the other night and are now leading the campaign for it

After the mature first half hour of speaking to Frank Greaney about the case, I thought "Well I underestimated Off The Ball, they can do balance". But this is a new low even for them.

I wonder is there ANY situation where OTB would ever stand up for a wrongly accused man in such a case, or are they that afraid of the Twitter machine? Bringing the prude from the Rape Crisis Centre on the show is essentially them holding their own court and finding the four guys guilty. The guys are innocent, guilty of sending a few childish texts, but nothing more. The inference that they are guilty, but it just haven't been proven, is shameful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

After the mature first half hour of speaking to Frank Greaney about the case, I thought "Well I underestimated Off The Ball, they can do balance". But this is a new low even for them.

I wonder is there ANY situation where OTB would ever stand up for a wrongly accused man in such a case, or are they that afraid of the Twitter machine? Bringing the prude from the Rape Crisis Centre on the show is essentially them holding their own court and finding the four guys guilty. The guys are innocent, guilty of sending a few childish texts, but nothing more. The inference that they are guilty, but it just haven't been proven, is shameful.

You arent even listening are you?

can you not hear the second guest giving the criminal defence lawyers perspective - Phelim O'Neill.

He seems to be agreeing with her on everything!!

Normally one of Joe's biggest critics here but I would admit that he was good on TV3's 6 nationals coverage.

Whats the difference with his radio persona? Has to be the influence of Gilroy IMO. Ger mentored and developed Eoin McDevitt originally and tried to do it again with Joe after the split. If I remember correctly the was doing weekends at that time and was moved over to OTB the very night the second captains left.

No Ger at TV3. Joe much more comfortable and watchable.

• Advertisement

He seems to be agreeing with her on everything!!

Really?

Noeleen Blackwell: "90% of rape trials result in convictions"

PON: "You are including guilty pleas. 85% of contested cases end in aquittal"

Joe challenged her on that, she backed right off

I did hear her saying that, but I missed his response. I actually heard her citing those figures on another NT show before, which she was allowed to say unchallenged! If Joe did challenge her, then fair play to him. My point is that there is nobody in NT to raise the question of how unreliable the evidence of the complainant was. The OTB line seems to be that they believe her side of the story and the real question is how the guys got off.
    It's the George Hook ability to ask the same questions that are being as at everybody's dinner table that is now missing from Newstalk. Nobody in Off The Ball would be brave enough to ask the question "was she actually lying? Did she make it up to save face?" as it would make them the target of the usual Twitter groups. But as unpalatable as Joe may find them, these ARE questions that are being asked by everybody except the media. The media are just prepared to put their lot behind her simply because she is a woman who has accused these guys of rape. The truth does not seem to matter.

You're being disingenuous.

Extremists calling for her to be named for "unfairly" accusing the guys are matched by those who think she should be believed just because she's an alleged victim.

The complainant believes she was raped, the defendants believe it was consensual, there was not enough evidence for the jury to unanimously believe the charges ergo they were found not guilty.

Real life is not simple black and white. It's various shades of grey.

You're being disingenuous.

Extremists calling for her to be named for "unfairly" accusing the guys are matched by those who think she should be believed just because she's an alleged victim.

The complainant believes she was raped, the defendants believe it was consensual, there was not enough evidence for the jury to unanimously believe the charges ergo they were found not guilty.

Real life is not simple black and white. It's various shades of grey.

I think both sides in that court case should be ashamed of themselves.
    The level of alcohol consumed was the bit that shocked me the most if I am honest.
    How much drink is enough?
    Two of the lads are professional athletes
    And the woman was going around throwing herself at fellas left right and centre (prior to going back with Jackson and co) after having drank copious amounts of drink.
    She was hardy looking after herself.
    To me the whole thing is a sad indictment on Ireland's drink culture North and South.
    What the f**k is wrong with us as a country?
    Makes me ashamed to be Irish.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement