Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Of course the country has a drink problem and it is an irrelevance which jurisdiction this case happens to be.
    Both the UK and Ireland drink like fish compared to the majority of other nations.
    That is why the whole scenario of the court case arose in the first place copious amounts of drink.
    But in reports now that it is finished it has moved on to the definition of consent and the level of drink is an afterthought.
    Whereas in my view it should be the other way around.

Whether we like it or not Ulster rugby players can represent the island of Ireland.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I know countries don't drink but those people in those countries UK and Ireland drink more Per capita then a lot of other countries in the world.

Is out of control drinking so accepted in Ireland that the reaction is a shrug of the shoulders, and not shame?

The mind boggles.

Then you lead on to the discussion of the binge drinking culture.
    How does it even make sense just to drink yourself stupid?

So it is that ingrained in you that you cannot see a problem with it.
    If someone asked you to drink 20 pints of milk in a couple of hours you would think that is mad. It would make you sick.
    Yet the equivalent in alcohol your a legend?!

It was the major contributory factor in the court case that is being discussed.
    I have heard otherwise sane people discuss thier huge levels of alcohol intake as if it is normal, even pride in some cases.
    The reality is it should not be normal nor should it be acceptable.
    That is what this court case has hit home to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The entire island is Ireland. Politically it's divided but geographically Belfast is very much in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

I've nit listened to a midweek OTB show in a few months. If I listen to this, will it provoke my usual frustrations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    I've nit listened to a midweek OTB show in a few months. If I listen to this, will it provoke my usual frustrations?
    The first half with Frank Greaney, who has been excellent throughout this case, was worth listening to for a recap. But I'd shut it down after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

the first hour isn't up online.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I laughed the other night at Giles saying he'd tolerate playing with Ronaldo, I could imagine if Ronaldo started throwing his arms up in the air in a theatrical fashion after a misplaced pass from Giles he'd end up getting a bloody nose :D

• Advertisement

I'm really surprised at Newstalk's reaction to the latest McGregor issue. They seem to be relatively quiet on it (I listened to one or two OTB reports). They seem less angry at this than McGregor's supposed racist remarks which is odd because his behaviour the other day is something that really was actually out of line, as opposed to some meaningless throwaway comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Greensoup

They’ve cut down a lot on GAA discussion on the radio show lately. Very little on match previews or post weekend analysis. Might change when championship comes around. They seem to be doin more of this online am show rather than the radio show. Maybe when they lost rights to games they’ve reduced radio discussion of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Greensoup wrote: »
    They’ve cut down a lot on GAA discussion on the radio show lately. Very little on match previews or post weekend analysis. Might change when championship comes around. They seem to be doin more of this online am show rather than the radio show. Maybe when they lost rights to games they’ve reduced radio discussion of games.

They're putting serious effort in to the morning show. All their main contributors are involved with many of them coming in to the studio at that hour. I've noticed, they're starting to show clips now as part of the production same as any television show.

Pretty intense scenario given its effectively 75 minutes without any ad breaks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

They've lost the rights to covering the GAA games live, or some of them anyway.

They were raging at it too as RTE got them but wouldn't have covered as many games as OTB would have

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Greensoup wrote:

They lost all their live games rights so dont cover it as much as they cant use it for self advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Greensoup

Ya I know they lost live gaa game rights. Just looks like less general discussions on radio show on hurling and football even about games coming up etc. I only found out about the online am show over Easter. Good one with Shane Stapleton yesterday with tommy Walsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Joe tweeted this about a minute before Pogba scored the first of his two goals :D

https://twitter.com/MolloyJoe/status/982671754106687489

He has a point, but the timing of it is hilarious!

Joe tweeted this about a minute before Pogba scored the first of his two goals :D

https://twitter.com/MolloyJoe/status/982671754106687489

He has a point, but the timing of it is hilarious!

Is Pogba code for "Joe Molloy" and Mourinho code for "Ger Gilroy" in that tweet?

;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

richie mccormack “a spokesman for ulster....ughhh sorry a spokesperson for ulster”

ohhhhhh cagey stuff, suspend the misogynistic bigot asap.

what an absolute c*nt. it even sounded deliberate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

sightband wrote: »
    richie mccormack “a spokesman for ulster....ughhh sorry a spokesperson for ulster”

Richie McCormack is some pain in the hole! I remember his outrage at the Irish lads outside Victorias Secret in Copenhagen that time of the Denmark-Ireland match. It really was pitiful stuff, but I'm sure his kindred spirit Dill whateverhernameis loved his righteousness. After expressing his disgust at that incident, I remember him getting lots of abuse on Twitter, and I recently checked to see that he doesn't appear to be on it anymore. He growing presence was one of the main reasons I stopped listening to OTB.

Richie McCormack is some pain in the hole! I remember his outrage at the Irish lads outside Victorias Secret in Copenhagen that time of the Denmark-Ireland match. It really was pitiful stuff, but I'm sure his kindred spirit Dill whateverhernameis loved his righteousness. After expressing his disgust at that incident, I remember him getting lots of abuse on Twitter, and I recently checked to see that he doesn't appear to be on it anymore. He growing presence was one of the main reasons I stopped listening to OTB.

He shutdown his twitter account completely.

It's for reasons like this I'm content in my decision not to listen to OTB anymore. It's just insufferable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't listen to the show regularly but often hear it in the car, and I have a new game I play

When Giles is on, I see if I can actually listen to his piece without him mentioning Leeds and his time there.

Not yet happened.

He even managed to pigeon hole it in tonight talking about the Madrid Juve game.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

They actually managed to find a bigger sap than Ger Gilroy. He's all over the show recently. Can't stand him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

He shutdown his twitter account completely.

his twitter account used to bug the shyte out of me, and it wasn't any virtue signalling, or whatever, just his refusal to reason in a debate which was usually about music.

he might have said something like blur's best song was the universal, and someone would reply that their best song was parklife. his response was always just 'no'.

he reminded me of this...

More virtue signalling from the boys. He was being racially abused by a loads of scousers and threw something equally childish and insulting back. He's a professional boxer, he's not a teacher, he's not a political leader. Their painful moralising of every situation is a joke at this stage.

And what a missed opportunity to interview a fascinating guy about SPORT.

his twitter account used to bug the shyte out of me, and it wasn't any virtue signalling, or whatever, just his refusal to reason in a debate which was usually about music.

he might have said something like blur's best song was the universal, and someone would reply that their best song was parklife. his response was always just 'no'.

Not strictly true.
    When he was whining about the knickers episode.
    He was also taking the mick (I think) about the poppy #lestweforget

So I sent a tweet to him:

"Richie has his knickers in a twist...I think he should go commando... ties in nicely with WW1 remembrance #LestWeForget #Richiesknickersinatwist"

He replied something along the lines of "Keep taking those tablets"

I said "It is great comebacks like those that get those PPI awards :D #betterthenthemasses #sanctimonious ?"

Why hadn't you him on ignore if it bugged the shyte out of you?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

More virtue signalling from the boys. He was being racially abused by a loads of scousers and threw something equally childish and insulting back. He's a professional boxer, he's not a teacher, he's not a political leader. Their painful moralising of every situation is a joke at this stage.

And what a missed opportunity to interview a fascinating guy about SPORT.

What was the interview?

I don't know where these lads played their sport but it must have been a lot more sheltered than the rest of us.

Imagine being in a dressing room and talking the absolute ****e these fellas do. You would be getting dressed outside!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Why hadn't you him on ignore if it bugged the shyte out of you?

never actually followed him, he just popped up when someone else like his tweets, (which appeared to increase a lot around the game in Copenhagen!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

If I hear Richie or Ger, I turn off immediately. Even if Richie is only reading the news.

I'll quite happilyisten to the rest of them, I think Nathan and Kilbane are good on Thursdays together.

I don't find Joe Molly anywhere near as annoying as before, he doesn't seem as easily outraged anymore

Imagine being in a dressing room and talking the absolute ****e these fellas do. You would be getting dressed outside!
    Interview with David Haye, the boxer. Before the pre-recorded interview was played, Gilroy and Kilbane spoke about the fact that when David Haye had racial abuse thrown at him in Liverpool in a promo for the first fight with Tony Bellew (last year), he referred to the abusive crowd as "a bunch of retards". Kilbane took grave exception to this as his daughter has Down's Syndrome. Honestly, Kevin Kilbane must have gone through his whole football career wearing earmuffs in the dressing room with the things he gets "offended by" on Off The Ball these days.

At the start of the interview, Gilroy stated how upset "so many people were about the remarks you made". Haye said he was wrong and he tries to be a better man now and a bit more mature even in the heat of tense situations. Not happy with Haye's earlier contrite response, Gilroy says to Haye "We were discussing in the studio earlier as to whether we should let you promote your fight on the show given the remarks that you made." I mean who the f**k does Gilroy think he is, sitting in judgment on all these people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Interview with David Haye, the boxer. Before the pre-recorded interview was played, Gilroy and Kilbane spoke about the fact that when David Haye had racial abuse thrown at him in Liverpool in a promo for the first fight with Tony Bellew (last year), he referred to the abusive crowd as "a bunch of retards". Kilbane took grave exception to this as his daughter has Down's Syndrome. Honestly, Kevin Kilbane must have gone through his whole football career wearing earmuffs in the dressing room with the things he gets "offended by" on Off The Ball these days.

At the start of the interview, Gilroy stated how upset "so many people were about the remarks you made". Haye said he was wrong and he tries to be a better man now and a bit more mature even in the heat of tense situations. Not happy with Haye's earlier contrite response, Gilroy says to Haye "We were discussing in the studio earlier as to whether we should let you promote your fight on the show given the remarks that you made." I mean who the f**k does Gilroy think he is, sitting in judgment on all these people.

I do hope all the OTB lads are whiter than white, considering how excited they get about what seems to have just been a bad choice of words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Not strictly true.
    When he was whining about the knickers episode.
    He was also taking the mick (I think) about the poppy #lestweforget

So I sent a tweet to him:

"Richie has his knickers in a twist...I think he should go commando... ties in nicely with WW1 remembrance #LestWeForget #Richiesknickersinatwist"

He replied something along the lines of "Keep taking those tablets"

I said "It is great comebacks like those that get those PPI awards :D #betterthenthemasses #sanctimonious ?"

Wait now. "Keep taking the tablets"?

As in tablets for a mental health issue?

That sounds like grounds for an OTB crusade.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Wait now. "Keep taking the tablets"?

As in tablets for a mental health issue?

That sounds like grounds for an OTB crusade.

It did cross my mind to 'let on' I had a mental health issue of some sort (I don't. But listening to that OTB crowd could cause one I suppose?)
    But then I realised my bluff could be called when they call me in as a special guest expert on a roadshow... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,061 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Yeah he made some disparaging tweet about George I responded calling him Out on it and he blocks me after some smart arse reply.
    Also caught the whole David Haye segment tonight and had to laugh, Gilroy lost in his whole self importance and that of the OTT show.

Heard the lead up to the interview with Haye, and was wondering what all the kerfuffle was about.

The presenter seemed to go on and on and on about it, and I honestly had never heard what Haye said, I don't follow boxing at all.

But jez, it dragged on a bit. And I didn't know Kilbane had a DS child. But do presenters now have the power to decide what we are allowed to listen to?

Getting out of control.

As for Hayes comments, if 'bunch of retards' was all he said, it was an off the cuff comment not meant to offend parents of DS children, people need to toughen up a little in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭hawley

According to Kilbane during the game they sang that “Harry Kane talks like a mong and plays like one too”.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/23/kevin-kilbane-west-ham-fans-disabled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,061 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

hawley wrote: »
    According to Kilbane during the game they sang that “Harry Kane talks like a mong and plays like one too”.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/23/kevin-kilbane-west-ham-fans-disabled

Yes but that had nothing to do with David Haye’s retard comment. Now if Haye had used the “Mong” comment to the crowd I could understand the outrage as it’s a horrible word but “Retard” whilst still not a nice term is nowhere as bad as I was expecting the way Gilroy was going on!

• Advertisement

hawley wrote: »

Yes but that had nothing to do with David Haye’s retard comment. Now if Haye had used the “Mong” comment to the crowd I could understand the outrage as it’s a horrible word but “Retard” whilst still not a nice term is nowhere as bad as I was expecting the way Gilroy was going on!

Jesus Christ, they are both just meaningless words that are only given meaning by the extent to which a person reacts. Mong, Retard, Nincompoop...who really gives a ****?

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, they are both just meaningless words that are only given meaning by the extent to which a person reacts. Mong, Retard, Nincompoop...who really gives a ****?

Well certainly the host couldn't have made a bigger deal out of it.

You'd thought he murdered someone the way he went on.

did they never hear about words not being able to hurt you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Kilbane and Gilroy spoke for at least 30 mins yesterday musing as to whether to interview Haye, I immediately thought of this thread.

It was ridiculous stuff. Granted Haye is a bit of a flute in fairness, but this competition to see who can be most offended by something is getting out of control.

I wonder if the lads heard themselves back would they change their approach, as much as Haye is lacking in self awareness in his comments, the 2 lads (especially Gilroy) are even more so lacking in self awareness as anyone with half a brain can see if for what it is, a blatant attempt to take moral high ground and appear completely politically correct.

Their social justice approach is incredible at this stage. I'd say Richie McCormack and Joe Molloy were sweating and taking notes at home as to how they can go one further in their outrage.

Gilroy said at one stage he was unsure if anyone would buy the PPV on the back of their interview with Haye and if there was any point, the sheer notions of the fella is astounding.

I am not a David Haye fan at all, I think he is a fraud, he has zero respect from real boxing fans but the 2 lads should stick to what they are supposedly good at. The world of sport would be a very boring place if everyone was an upstanding citizen, last time I checked a presenters job was to be impartial, who the hell cares what Ger Gilroy thinks. They are going down the Ray Darcy route where they let their own personal opinion get in the way of an interview and in doing so they assume they are speaking on behalf of their listeners.

I would have no problem with them asking Haye why he said what he said, but when it absolutely dominates the interview to the point we all know they cannot stand the guy, well thats just letting your own personal feelings get in the way of doing your job properly.

Back in you box.

As I said before Kilbane really needs to be pulled up on this.
    He uses the words moron and idiot a good bit.
    But that is OK because he does not know where it came from? (Idiots Act 1886)

http://everything.explained.today/Idiots_Act_1886/

I have a good mind to text in and say Kevin you are bieng offensive to Idiots, and as an idiot and/or moron I have the right to protest :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

ziggy wrote: »

The difference is OTB outraged because they are offended. We just think they are dicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

As I said before Kilbane really needs to be pulled up on this.
    He uses the words moron and idiot a good bit.
    But that is OK because he does not know where it came from? (Idiots Act 1886)

http://everything.explained.today/Idiots_Act_1886/

I have a good mind to text in and say Kevin you are bieng offensive to Idiots, and as an idiot and/or moron I have the right to protest :rolleyes:

I thought this the other night too. the OTB lads have no problem calling people idiots or morons or tarring people or groups with various terms that are on the same level as calling someone (who clearly doesn't have DS/mental disability/etc) a "retard".

ziggy wrote: »

Why listen then? Seriously?[/quote]

I don't actually. They scared me off long ago but I keep up with this thread as a way of finding out if they ever return to how they were again.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement