Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Patww79 wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Why? Because he had a different opinion to you?

The head honchos in Irish rugby obviously think the same as him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I do hope all the OTB lads are whiter than white, considering how excited they get about what seems to have just been a bad choice of words.

That's the bit I've been thinking about as well Donie, particularly in the light of the INM hacking. I know that in the past Gilroy would have been party to a few emails/downloads in Newstalk that wouldn't sit in the image that he would like people to see of him. It would be interesting if there was a hack at NT and see if all the staff in there really do hold the opinions that they adopt on air or if it is part of the job that they hold those opinions.

How ironic it would be if Gilroy ends up having to fall on his own sword because of a flippant text or email. Or maybe how appropriate it would be. The guys in there would just want to be careful that they don't set the moral high bar so far that they find themselves fall short of it on some occasion in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I do hope all the OTB lads are whiter than white, considering how excited they get about what seems to have just been a bad choice of words.

That's the bit I've been thinking about as well Donie, particularly in the light of the INM hacking. I know that in the past Gilroy would have been party to a few emails/downloads in Newstalk that wouldn't sit in the image that he would like people to see of him. It would be interesting if there was a hack at NT and see if all the staff in there really do hold the opinions that they adopt on air or if it is part of the job that they hold those opinions.

How ironic it would be if Gilroy ends up having to fall on his own sword because of a flippant text or email. Or maybe how appropriate it would be. The guys in there would just want to be careful that they don't set the moral high bar so far that they find themselves fall short of it on some occasion in the future.

If something like that did happen, I would be sorry to see it occur. It would be demonstrative of this sickening, overly-sensitive world we now live in. Gilroy is a bell end but I'd like to think if he made a completely harmless sexist or racist comment that he would not have to "fall on his sword". Sadly, he would probably have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    If something like that did happen, I would be sorry to see it occur. It would be demonstrative of this sickening, overly-sensitive world we now live in. Gilroy is a bell end but I'd like to think if he made a completely harmless sexist or racist comment that he would not have to "fall on his sword". Sadly, he would probably have to.

That's offensive to bell ends! :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Dave McIntyre discussing the Jackson olding thing with Drico, McIntyre mentioned that maybe all men need to look at their text content, or something along those lines. Good to know we're all being lumped in with the lads!

I'd laugh if one of those OTB lads gets caught on camera saying something un-PC. I'd happily listen to them resigning over it because the holier than thou attitude is just sickening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Kevin Kilbane should stick to the Football. Surely someone else could have interviewed Gordon Elliott

This show is just the sh1ts at the moment. The absolute sh1ts by the sound of it. What are listening figures like?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DarTipp

it would bad if Gilroy was gone as well, then the rest of the players could be open to dismissal if they say un pc on whats app etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

siblers wrote: »
    If I hear Richie or Ger, I turn off immediately. Even if Richie is only reading the news.

I'll quite happilyisten to the rest of them, I think Nathan and Kilbane are good on Thursdays together.

I don't find Joe Molly anywhere near as annoying as before, he doesn't seem as easily outraged anymore

Thursdays are actually very good now, Nathan is a very good presenter. On the first page of this thread, i suggested that Johnny Giles should be moved on, it was getting stale (back when it was Eoin talking to him) but Nathan does seem to make it a lot more enjoyable. He's probably spouting the same stuff, just comes across better.

Heard the repeat of the Haye interview on Saturday afternoon. thought it was very cringeworthy the way Ger just kept plugging away at the retard comment. Haye in fairness to him explained his side from the start, apologised, but that wasn't good enough for Ger who just kept plugging away.

you'd wonder if there's any value in an apology at all in any sense these days.

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    If I hear Richie or Ger, I turn off immediately. Even if Richie is only reading the news.

I'll quite happilyisten to the rest of them, I think Nathan and Kilbane are good on Thursdays together.

I don't find Joe Molly anywhere near as annoying as before, he doesn't seem as easily outraged anymore

Thursdays are actually very good now, Nathan is a very good presenter. On the first page of this thread, i suggested that Johnny Giles should be moved on, it was getting stale (back when it was Eoin talking to him) but Nathan does seem to make it a lot more enjoyable. He's probably spouting the same stuff, just comes across better.

Heard the repeat of the Haye interview on Saturday afternoon. thought it was very cringeworthy the way Ger just kept plugging away at the retard comment. Haye in fairness to him explained his side from the start, apologised, but that wasn't good enough for Ger who just kept plugging away.

you'd wonder if there's any value in an apology at all in any sense these days.

He shouldn't have apologised

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

He shouldn't have apologised

True, you can't concede to these wackjobs.

Stay strong and resolute - 'walk towards the fire' as the saying goes.

Once they know they can't destroy you they go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

They did another 10 minutes on Rory Best attending the Jackson/Olding trial on OTB AM this morning. Gilroy to the fore unsurprisingly.

Are we not past this yet?

They did another 10 minutes on Rory Best attending the Jackson/Olding trial on OTB AM this morning. Gilroy to the fore unsurprisingly.

Are we not past this yet?

Team captain attends court case of not guilty friends as a character witness. Really shocking stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Boards (presumably this thread) got a mention at the start of the show tonight. Wonder if Richie has stopped reading this thread along with leaving Twitter!

They had Tony Bellew on earlier and the only mention of Haye's comments came from Bellew himself. Doubt that would be the case if Joe or Ger were hosting.

Don't hear him too often but Nathan does a good job anytime I catch him.

I only caught a bit of David haye but he explained why he said it and I thought he sounded alright. It was a big regret for him but all part of the "show" that boxing is. Gilroy is a pain in the arse, a real ****ing pain in the arse.
    The whole show is ****e these days. Kilbane is so boring it's just unbearable. I used to listen anytime I was near a radio, now I barely put it on and it's a pity. One good thing is Gilroy not being on in the evening anymore, him and that crappy quiz can **** right off. Radio needs people who speak their minds. I actually get a bit more satisfaction out of the few mins one of the team is talking to Ivan Yates, he'll at least speak his mind a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

Patww79 wrote: »

On the 'listen back' section as usual an hour or so after broadcast.

Excellent conversation this morning between Eric Donovan and Andy Lee on corruption in boxing.
    Several mouth open examples of what goes in, even today.
    Amateur boxing is at risk of being severely damaged by such behaviour and could end up being dropped from the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

How does Kilbane get so much media work? he is dreadful. Media work does not seem to come naturally to him at all.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

The start is always there under newsround, Nathan Murphy made a comment along the lines of listeners rating the presenters or rating the show, to which Richie quipped "Is that not boards?"

I like Richie, he always does a good job filling in for Tom Dunne too. Cant stand Nathan Murphy. Don't like this AM thing where Gilroy does the morning and Joe hasn't been a regular since taking the TV gig the show is very weak without them. relying too much on Nathan!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Murdoc90 wrote: »
    I like Richie, he always does a good job filling in for Tom Dunne too. Cant stand Nathan Murphy. Don't like this AM thing where Gilroy does the morning and Joe hasn't been a regular since taking the TV gig the show is very weak without them. relying too much on Nathan!

I would say the opposite! Cant stand Richie and think Nathan is quite good. The sooner Gilroy gets the boot altogether the better

How does Kilbane get so much media work? he is dreadful. Media work does not seem to come naturally to him at all.

I think he has a Degree in Sports Journalism and Broadcasting from somewhere. He's talked about it on the show before

Suppose it looks good on his CV, coupled with his extensive playing experience of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

The start is always there under newsround, Nathan Murphy made a comment along the lines of listeners rating the presenters or rating the show, to which Richie quipped "Is that not boards?"

I'd say the opposite, the more Nathan presents, the more i don't turn it off.

Nathan is as close as it gets to Eoin McDevitt back in second captains days, like it was a few people in a pub just talking about sport, with little or no agenda. just talk about what the craic is.

Richie trips over himself too much to be taken seriously anymore. his faux outrage over the Cleveland indians logo but no issue whatsoever with the fighting irish logo was just dim.

if Joe stays away from the studio boring someone else to tears about Tiger's golf swing, then that's a positive!!

I think he has a Degree in Sports Journalism and Broadcasting from somewhere. He's talked about it on the show before

Suppose it looks good on his CV, coupled with his extensive playing experience of course.

But he's so boring talking about his playing days it may as well not have happened. Nothing of interest is ever said. So bland that he offers no insight into matches.

I would rather have TalkSport on nowadays.

There, I said it.

Edz87 wrote: »
    I would rather have TalkSport on nowadays.

There, I said it.

Interview with Joy Neville was very good tonight. She has done very well for herself and hopefully it will continue in this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Interview with Joy Neville was very good tonight. She has done very well for herself and hopefully it will continue in this way.

I enjoyed that although it was fairly poxy of the lads putting her on the spot over the Belfast trial, she's an active ref, she can hardly discuss individual players on a radio show although she did get a dig in at Folau

duffman13 wrote: »
    I enjoyed that although it was fairly poxy of the lads putting her on the spot over the Belfast trial, she's an active ref, she can hardly discuss individual players on a radio show although she did get a dig in at Folau

They didn't put her on the spot though in my view, it's a very relevant topic which I'm sure she expected to be asked about. They didn't mention any players. When she said she wasn't going to make a detailed comment on it, she wasn't pushed.

Don't know what else Nathan could have done. If he hadn't brought it up, he'd be accused her of letting her off lightly.

• Advertisement

duffman13 wrote: »

They didn't put her on the spot though in my view, it's a very relevant topic which I'm sure she expected to be asked about. They didn't mention any players. When she said she wasn't going to make a detailed comment on it, she wasn't pushed.

Don't know what else Nathan could have done. If he hadn't brought it up, he'd be accused her of letting her off lightly.

Are they still bloody talking about that? Jesus Christ. I'm convinced that they'll still be talking about it in a year's time, asking anyone from David Haye to Pauly Mallignalli what they think of Jackson and Olding.

Re the TalkSport recommendation above, good call except for me it's only a part solution because I like my Irish sport.

Good alternatives if you want to abandon OTB:

GAA: GAA Hour (Colm Parkinson)
    Rugby: Demented mole (new, irregular but informative)
    Soccer: Second Captains

Individually these podcasts are producing content that is on a different planet to OTB. The agenda is sport and usually only sport (2nd Cap excepted) and they are not on a crusade to clean up society. The church is well and truly dead in Ireland but the moral vacuum that remained was well and truly filled by OTB.

Sorry I don't listen to much outside the big four sports but I'm sure others can offer non-politically correct alternatives for Golf, other sports etc.

Are they still bloody talking about that? Jesus Christ. I'm convinced that they'll still be talking about it in a year's time, asking anyone from David Haye to Pauly Mallignalli what they think of Jackson and Olding.

You are right. Asking the rugby world referee of the year, an Irish woman, about the most significant story relating to Irish rugby players this year was completely left field and off the charts.

I mean it was less than 20 seconds of a 24 min plus interview but don't let that stop the outrage.

You are right. Asking the rugby world referee of the year, an Irish woman, about the most significant story relating to Irish rugby players this year was completely left field and off the charts.

I mean it was less than 20 seconds of a 24 min plus interview but don't let that stop the outrage.

It doesn't matter who the question is posed to. If you read a little closer you'll see the actual point being made is that they are still banging on about it. The outrage is all theirs - I'm merely frustrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Kevin Kilbane gives me a pain on the show as well. Nice lad, I'm sure, but like was said above his career brings little or nothing in the way of back stories. It was like he slept through all those years. Every time they ask him "have you experienced similar in your career" his answer is always "no no, I don't remember anything like that".

I can imagine the dressing room was a fairly holy place with Kilbane in there though. Can you imagine what the discussion would have been like after a weekend on the tiles.

Player1: "did you see the bird that Jonesy was with on Friday night".
    Player2: "Christ yeah, Jonesy, she was a cracker".
    Kilbane: "Hold on lads! We can't refer to women as birds as this would be sexist. I am going to have to speak to management about this."

Excellent conversation this morning between Eric Donovan and Andy Lee on corruption in boxing.
    Several mouth open examples of what goes in, even today.
    Amateur boxing is at risk of being severely damaged by such behaviour and could end up being dropped from the Olympics.

Do you know If there is a way to listen back via audio or is it just video on Facebook?

Kevin Kilbane gives me a pain on the show as well. Nice lad, I'm sure, but like was said above his career brings little or nothing in the way of back stories. It was like he slept through all those years. Every time they ask him "have you experienced similar in your career" his answer is always "no no, I don't remember anything like that".

I can imagine the dressing room was a fairly holy place with Kilbane in there though. Can you imagine what the discussion would have been like after a weekend on the tiles.

Kilbane: "Hold on lads! We can't refer to women as birds as this would be sexist. I am going to have to speak to management about this."

That's brilliant!!

• Advertisement

Do you know If there is a way to listen back via audio or is it just video on Facebook?

Corruption in Boxing

Can't pin point the time it starts. Think about a 1/3 of the way in.

He is a bit Dull in fairness, with all his "We spoke abouts".
    His columns in the paper are also very safe, and full of cliches as well.
    You could predict what he is going to say before he says it.

He does come to life on three occasions though
    1) When Downs Syndrome / David Haye is mentioned
    2) Discussions about irishness for 2nd 3rd generation Irish
    3) When there is an important Irish soccer international match is coming up.

The latter is particularly amusing because he turns into a 100% unashamedly biased Irish soccer fan.
    He gets really passionate about it, which is more then you could say for a lot of ex-Irish internationals for whom it was just a career move (cough, Andy Townsend, cough).

So although he is dull (and painfully so at times) with no funny stories about his playing days / or a proper insight into the irish dressing room when he played soccer -
    I like Kilbane for his passion it is just a pity he does not let loose more often.

Not just the same three issues, surely he has other opinions?

I would say the opposite! Cant stand Richie and think Nathan is quite good. The sooner Gilroy gets the boot altogether the better

Nathan has a good way about him on air - discusses the sport no bias until it comes to Mayo GAA. :D

I can remember he made a gas comment about if Dublin won sam again they would just go through "the process" of celebration and go home again.

Not only that but he was on stage with the Happy Mondays as a young fella.
    http://www.offtheball.com/WATCH:-Turns-out-an-Off-The-Ball-member-once-shared-the-stage-with-the-Happy-Mondays-

As for Ger Gilroy I am starting to think the self-important smug persona might just be act?

Can anyone be that annoying?
    For his sake I hope it is an act.
    I would like to ask Gilroy a question

(If Ritchie still reads boards he can pass it on to his master)

In Gilroy's own language (pseudo-Cartman monologue style)

"You know like, when you do an interview and you get really excited and your like, so excited, that like to an extent, the eh like, air of self-importance drops for an instant?
    But then when you are asking the question, were you like 'oh no' I lost my train of thought in yet another meandering question?
    "

I wouldn't ask Richie any question because why would I want to listen to him?

But I would would have one question for Molloy.

"Does Gilroy tell you what agenda to set?"

I wouldn't be able to say anything else to Molloy for fear of offending him.

He is a bit Dull in fairness, with all his "We spoke abouts".
    His columns in the paper are also very safe, and full of cliches as well.
    You could predict what he is going to say before he says it.

He does come to life on three occasions though
    1) When Downs Syndrome / David Haye is mentioned

The latter is particularly amusing because he turns into a 100% unashamedly biased Irish soccer fan.
    He gets really passionate about it which is more then you could say for a lot of ex-Irish internationals who it was just a career move (cough, Andy Townsend, cough).

So although he is dull (and painfully so at times) with no funny stories about his playing days / or a proper insight into the irish dressing room when he played soccer -
    I like Kilbane for his passion it is just a pity he does not let loose more often.

Not just the same three issues, surely he has other opinions?

The BBC got to him first and ruined him maybe? Extremely dull and safe.

Would love to see him replaced with Kenny Cunningham.

Ironically Cunnigham seems to loosen Kilbane up a bit, and he forgets himself and seems more relaxed when they are on air together.

They badly need a fella who is not afraid to make an eejit of himself and is opinionated like Jason McActeer / Colm Parkinson.

• Advertisement

He gets really passionate about it,

Those two things in particular make it hard for me to dislike Kilbane.

Nobody took more pride in playing for Ireland than him. They were talking about the best stadiums he had played in a few weeks ago. Joe asked him where he dreamed of playing as a kid and he said Lansdowne Road. If it was anybody else i'd probably think they were bull****ting but it was obvious he was being serious.

Absolutely love his positivity about Irish football and he really shines when it comes to the RoI coverage.

He is probably just a bit too nice a fella to be a really engaging broadcaster.

Kilbane is very awkward when it comes to 'banter' too, some of his responses when the lads slag is Charlie Nicholas-esque. Even Ivan Yates gets the better of him when he comes on Ivan's show to do the preview

Those two things in particular make it hard for me to dislike Kilbane.

Nobody took more pride in playing for Ireland than him. They were talking about the best stadiums he had played in a few weeks ago. Joe asked him where he dreamed of playing as a kid and he said Lansdowne Road. If it was anybody else i'd probably think they were bull****ting but it was obvious he was being serious.

Absolutely love his positivity about Irish football and he really shines when it comes to the RoI coverage.

He is probably just a bit too nice a fella to be a really engaging broadcaster.
    He does seem like a decent auld salt, maybe more suited to the BBC Gary Lineker style - without the puns.

His positivity about Ireland is gas all the same.
    I think Ireland could be playing a combination of Argentina, Brazil, Germany and Spain - and if Kilbane was asked how he thinks Ireland would do.

Kilbane would say :
    "We have a good shout" or "I think we have a chance".

Cunningham is ok but the way he says 'fuhball club' all the time wrecks my head.

Cunningham is ok but the way he says 'fuhball club' all the time wrecks my head.

Or "higher up the pitch" :D
    He knows his stuff in fairness.

Ironically Cunnigham seems to loosen Kilbane up a bit, and he forgets himself and seems more relaxed when they are on air together.

They badly need a fella who is not afraid to make an eejit of himself and is opinionated like Jason McActeer / Colm Parkinson.

Mcateer is a fool. Thinks he's a darling of Irish football fans with his "hilarious" carry on and made up yarns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Mcateer is a fool. Thinks he's a darling of Irish football fans with his "hilarious" carry on and made up yarns.

I agree, McAteer just tries to be funny all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm sure he knows his stuff but can't listen to him at all with his constant 'MMmm' or 'Emmm'ing, whatever way you spell it !!

Is he the guy who always says 'football club' after every team name when he's having a discussion? Can't remember if it is or not?

"That player is just not fitting in, he hasn't got the attitude to play for Manchester Untied Football Club"

"Their league position is terrible, this is a really sad day for Preston North End Football Club".

"So and so manager just isn't a fit for XXXX football club"

Drop the 'football club', your sentences make perfect sense without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rufuseric82

Oisin Langan has tweeted that he is leaving Newstsalk. I will miss him. Always enjoyed his reporting and occasional commentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Oisin Langan has tweeted that he is leaving Newstsalk. I will miss him. Always enjoyed his reporting and occasional commentary.

That is a shame. He was a good guy, Oisin.

Some nice words from the Second Captains guys there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement