Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Oisin Langan has tweeted that he is leaving Newstsalk. I will miss him. Always enjoyed his reporting and occasional commentary.

Wheres he off to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Oisin Langan has tweeted that he is leaving Newstsalk. I will miss him. Always enjoyed his reporting and occasional commentary.

That's a shame, always liked him, for the simple fact that he did the basics of his job well. That was to report/comment on GAA, and leave his political leanings aside. He had a good, kind-of-quirky sense of humour too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

ex Irish internationals always seem to do well in the media when their playing careers end. We've had loads of them over the years especially the players from the Jack Charlton era. Kilbane reminds me of Mark Lawrenson. He's way over exposed. Couldn't turn on the telly / radio a few years ago without hearing/seeing Lawro and his bland dreary safe "analysis" and Zinedine has gone the same way. He's on Newstalk, TV3 and the BBC...

Agree though that at least he is a genuine passionate Irishman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

I thought it was very unfair that they made Oisin move to the side so that Alan Quinlan could do the morning sports news. He always brought his own enthusiasm to the reports, and you can tell that he at least tried. Must have been some kick in the pants to have your hard work rewarded by being by replaced by somebody with no experience or natural talent for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I thought it was very unfair that they made Oisin move to the side so that Alan Quinlan could do the morning sports news. He always brought his own enthusiasm to the reports, and you can tell that he at least tried. Must have been some kick in the pants to have your hard work rewarded by being by replaced by somebody with no experience or natural talent for the job.
    agreed.
    Quinlan is a prime example one of the main problems with Newstalk* these days, going for "names" rather than people with a background, talent and obvious passion for radio broadcasting. see also Ciara Kelly and Paul Williams.

*not just Newstalk in fairness, plenty of c-list celebs clogging up the airwaves elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

JoeA3 wrote: »
    ex Irish internationals always seem to do well in the media when their playing careers end. We've had loads of them over the years especially the players from the Jack Charlton era. Kilbane reminds me of Mark Lawrenson. He's way over exposed. Couldn't turn on the telly / radio a few years ago without hearing/seeing Lawro and his bland dreary safe "analysis" and Zinedine has gone the same way. He's on Newstalk, TV3 and the BBC...

Agree though that at least he is a genuine passionate Irishman.

The thing is though in the current environment you have to be so careful about what you say. One wrong move could lead to a mob of weirdos coming after you on Twitter trying to get you sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The thing is though in the current environment you have to be so careful about what you say. One wrong move could lead to a mob of weirdos coming after you on Twitter trying to get you sacked.

I would say they are more afraid of the wierdos on boards.ie : no character limit for a start :rolleyes:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭monstermag

I see Oisin has left Newstalk. Big loss. He was very good at his job.

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Are they still bloody talking about that? Jesus Christ. I'm convinced that they'll still be talking about it in a year's time, asking anyone from David Haye to Pauly Mallignalli what they think of Jackson and Olding.

Re the TalkSport recommendation above, good call except for me it's only a part solution because I like my Irish sport.

Good alternatives if you want to abandon OTB:

GAA: GAA Hour (Colm Parkinson)
    Rugby: Demented mole (new, irregular but informative)
    Soccer: Second Captains

I listen to Danny Kelly's (of Talksport) "Trans-Europe Express" Podcast
    There is a soccer podcast I listen to from Talksport (I prefer it on podcast so I don't have to listen to the constant tradesmen adverts)
    It covers European soccer in general.

https://tunein.com/podcasts/Sports-Talk--News/Danny-Kellys-Trans-Europe-Express-p855004/?topicid=120895948

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭monstermag

Anyone here why Oisin Langan left Newstalk. He's been there quite awhile . I taught he was very good at his job. Very good match reports and great interviews with managers and player's. Always enthusiastic . Very professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Think Oisin's twitter bio says something about a move into PR? It surprised me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

This Keith Earls interview is seriously uplifting stuff :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Really liked that Michael Owen interview

I'm a Southampton supporter so no skin in the game...or any game this season.

Keith Earls in after a devastating loss yesterday and Joe has him talking about his dropped ball for the Lions in 09

Christ almighty its like a wake

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Very good interview with Michael Owen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Edz87 wrote: »
    Keith Earls in after a devastating loss yesterday and Joe has him talking about his dropped ball for the Lions in 09

I watched that interview live on YouTube last night and honestly it was tough to watch. Joe kept bringing up low points/negative stuff and asking Keith to comment.

Also I noticed that joe has a bad habit of jumping in to ask follow up questions before the interviewee has finished replying. I am interested in what Keith earls has to say, not joe trying to show how clever he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Edz87 wrote: »

I watched that interview live on YouTube last night and honestly it was tough to watch. Joe kept bringing up low points/negative stuff and asking Keith to comment.

Also I noticed that joe has a bad habit of jumping in to ask follow up questions before the interviewee has finished replying. I am interested in what Keith earls has to say, not joe trying to show how clever he is.

As long as they didn't discuss rape, feminism or abortion that would seem to be an improvement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I watched this earlier and found it very good.

Keith is naturally a very quite and shy individual but Joe made him comfortable to speak about the difficulties of losing confidence and being naturally inclined to be negative.

I thought this was evident in how Joe would say something and Keith looked at him and smiled a bit as he spoke and agreed with him. I felt it showed Joe's ability to make someone feel comfortable and to speak about a topic they might not be naturally inclined to do so.

Much rather this than "we'll go back to the drawing board and give 110%" type interview/answer sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Earls deemed brutally honest in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I watched this earlier and found it very good.

Keith is naturally a very quite and shy individual but Joe made him comfortable to speak about the difficulties of losing confidence and being naturally inclined to be negative.

I thought this was evident in how Joe would say something and Keith looked at him and smiled a bit as he spoke and agreed with him. I felt it showed Joe's ability to make someone feel comfortable and to speak about a topic they might not be naturally inclined to do so.

Much rather this than "we'll go back to the drawing board and give 110%" type interview/answer sessions.

Bang on. Earls is a reticent interviewee and this was evident in the earlier part of the interview where the answers were monosyllabic.

Molloy showed his skill as an interviewer by gradually coaxing Earls out of his shell by being compassionate and not too probing early on. When he gained the trust of Earls he gradually moved on to the more searching questions and Earls began to open up and ultimately deliver a very engaging interview.

It was one of the most honest interviews I have heard from a professional still active in the game in a long time.

Aidric wrote:
    It was one of the most honest interviews I have heard from a professional still active in the game in a long time.

I remember Joe did an interview before and he kept telling the interviewee "I know you really don't want to talk about it but if it's OK with you, can I just ask you...." and the interviewee was relaxed and was obviously comfortable enough and felt he wasn't being ambushed and so discussed the topic for quite a period.

I thought it was very well done by Joe. This was similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I remember Joe did an interview before and he kept telling the interviewee "I know you really don't want to talk about it but if it's OK with you, can I just ask you...." and the interviewee was relaxed and was obviously comfortable enough and felt he wasn't being ambushed and so discussed the topic for quite a period.

I thought it was very well done by Joe. This was similar.

Please, this thread is for people who don't listen to the show to complain about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Nice to see some positivity and Joe getting a bit of praise for a change.

Nice to see some positivity and Joe getting a bit of praise for a change.

I don't think any of the negative people here, of which I am probably the most negative, believe that Joe is anything but a good broadcaster. That's never in question. He just lives a sheltered old life in which any other individual's deviation from the moral code of Joe is met with shock and condescention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

any spare tickets going for the live show in the mansion house on weds? missed out :(

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    I don't think any of the negative people here, of which I am probably the most negative, believe that Joe is anything but a good broadcaster. That's never in question. He just lives a sheltered old life in which any other individual's deviation from the moral code of Joe is met with shock and condescention.

Plus he has a much better head of hair on him then the more follicly challenged current and past presenters Eoin McDevitt/Ger Gilroy.
    When they are on camera there is no dazzling glare reflection as a result (TV3).
    He deserves kudos for that as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭gluppers

Anyone notice that all's not well in OTB towers?

Seems to be some subtle bickering between Nathan, Kilbane and Richie. I think Richie is a bit of a ****-stirrer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

NIMAN wrote: »
    I don't listen to the show regularly but often hear it in the car, and I have a new game I play

When Giles is on, I see if I can actually listen to his piece without him mentioning Leeds and his time there.

Not yet happened.

He even managed to pigeon hole it in tonight talking about the Madrid Juve game.

... and yet more oldy time stories this week when he was reviewing the 2 CL semi's.

I blame the interviewers....it was Nathan this week (well I think it was, Johnny must have mentioned his name only 50 or 60 times) and they should stop him rambling on....he really is starting to sound like your old senile uncle telling you about how great the guys he grew up with were.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

gluppers wrote: »

Seems to be some subtle bickering between Nathan, Kilbane and Richie. I think Richie is a bit of a ****-stirrer

I hadn't noticed anyway, what have you heard happen?

• Advertisement

Does Kilbane live in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

gluppers wrote:

gluppers wrote:

Haven't noticed it myself, as I rarely listed to OTB anymore. But can completely understand that the lads don't see eye-to-eye with Richie...the man is a total bell end. He's the main reason I "moved the dial"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The worst thing is that Richie seems to be on it a lot more frequently now. He is also doing quite a few of the Sunday paper reviews. There's no escaping him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

I was listening the other night and I thought that there was a contrived effort on Richie's part to be "humorous". I'm not sure if he was told to adopt this role. But lord, they need somebody to inject some fun in to the show. Tuned in again last night, there's smug Gilroy with his usual pontificating, before he handed of to Cliona Foley for a special on the oppression of women's rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

gluppers wrote:

gluppers wrote:

Haven't noticed it myself, as I rarely listed to OTB anymore. But can completely understand that the lads don't see eye-to-eye with Richie...the man is a total bell end. He's the main reason I "moved the dial"

Agreed.

Somebody posted earlier about Kilbanes Charlie Nicholas like reactions to anybody taking the mickey out of him and it's very noticeable with Richie who does it all the time. At least with Joe it normally seems to be good natured whereas Richie just comes across snide and bitchy.

I heard something with him and Nathan the other night too but can't remember the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Chippiness probably due to jealousy of Kilbane's gig at the BBC.

I listened for the first time in a long while yesterday because I saw that Tommy Martin was hosting instead of any of the other tossers. Im glad I did because he hosted a great panel conversation about sport and it would be great to have him on there full time. He's likeable and, as far as I can see, has never expressed his socio-political views on the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Tommy Martin is great. He was on the LOI Weekly podcast. He is fun, upbeat and very knowledgeable. Exactly what you want really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Until he spends too much time with the Newstalk crew and gets infected with their PC leanings by osmosis.

Until he spends too much time with the Newstalk crew and gets infected with their PC leanings by osmosis.

That’s the potential issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭gluppers

I see he's no longer on Twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

I listened to the panel show there. It was very good!

Raoul wrote:
    I listened to the panel show there. It was very good!

It generally is, to be fair.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Happy day, nothing better than refreshing podcasts and seeing Dr Ross Tucker was on.

• Advertisement

pc7 wrote:
    Happy day, nothing better than refreshing podcasts and seeing Dr Ross Tucker was on.

He was very good tonight.

Guy talking about a Roma player from 1984 who later took his own life sounded interesting also but I didn't catch it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

pc7 wrote: »

Yup, I could listen to him for ages. Very insightful

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Gilroy on Pat Kenny talking about the Jackson and Olding Sale Sharks news.

Saying that the players would be bargain buys given thier talent and current price, and that unfortunately some clubs would only look at that aspect and not the morality of employing them.

I must have been reading a fake news site where it said they were acquitted of the charges.

doylefe wrote: »
    Gilroy on Pat Kenny talking about the Jackson and Olding Sale Sharks news.

Saying that the players would be bargain buys given thier talent and current price, and that unfortunately some clubs would only look at that aspect and not the morality of employing them.

I must have been reading a fake news site where it said they were acquitted of the charges.

Those two young fellas have been put through hell by rag media outlets such as Newstalk.

I don't know where they find the strength to keep going.

I really hope they get their careers back on track and put all this mess behind them.

Those two young fellas have been put through hell by rag media outlets such as Newstalk.

If Newstalk is a rag media outlet, can you please tell me of a reputable outlet that dealt with the rugby players trial differently.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement