Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Ffs poor feckers, gers moral indignation was unfounded https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/sale-say-no-substance-to-rumours-they-were-to-sign-paddy-jackson-and-stuart-olding-36867675.html

They were found not guilty, it’s awful they can’t move on from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Patww79 wrote: »

That is Dan McDonell.

He admitted it was a convulted point he was making.

total Wanker? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

doylefe wrote: »
    Gilroy on Pat Kenny talking about the Jackson and Olding Sale Sharks news. Saying that the players would be bargain buys given thier talent and current price, and that unfortunately some clubs would only look at that aspect and not the morality of employing them.
    Gilroy makes me sick with this White Knight routine of his. He was doing the same on the podcast earlier this week about Grobelar. Not one sentence without some smart ar$e remark. I mean at what stage did it happen that it became acceptable for young sportsmen, who made mistakes, having their careers dictated by some fat lump sitting behind a microphone. But that's what is happening with Paddy Jackson and Stuart Olding, all because of a few texts that Ger's on air personality disagreed with morally. The media will hound the sponsor of any club willing to take them on, so that it makes it impossible for them to continue their careers. I mean even convicted criminals, who have murdered people are allowed to continue their lives and careers unfethered, once they have "served their time". And as much as it may annoy the social justice warriors in NT, they were found innocent.
    As I said earlier, in light of the INM email hacking recently, Gilroy would want to be very careful that he doesn't raise the moral high ground so high that he ends up being hoisted on his own petard if a few of his own email messages or tweets became public. He's not the angel he would have you believe, I mean nobody could be that pious.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Gilroy is a piece of sh1t. He reminds me of one of those holier than thou charachters who, behind the scenes, is doing the exact things he criticises everybody else for doing. He’s almost evangelical in his demeanour. Utter tosser. In the words of Kevin Keegan, I would “love it” if he were to have his very own Neil Prenderville moment. I’d never stop laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

I heard that Ger Gilroy thing on playback last night. What a sanctimonious git! There isn't a chance Jackson or Olding can sign for an English club without Ger and the boys in Marconi House doing everything they can to sabotage it.

They made some mistakes as young men. Give them a chance ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,075 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Christ but the bitterness is strong in some.

What is it? Jealousy? Does your wife or partner really really like Ger?

Like him or not, he is a big part of why the show exists. He was the first presenter when it kicked off and he seems to be the driving force behind the morning webcasts which I think is working quite well. Over 6k seem to dip in each day to that show on Twitter alone.

He's not my favorite presenter but he's not the worst either.

Listening to the road show last night for a few minutes.
    Is it Luke Fitzgerald that sounds like a character from a Ross O'Carroll Kelly book?

The D4 accent is strong in that one.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Mod Note

Just a reminder of the charter and to tone down the abuse to presenters etc. over the last few posts.

Thanks PC7

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

That was probably a poor first impression of him but Dan McDonnell is one of the best contributors they have imo.

Excellent knowledge of everything relating to Irish football but a good all rounder also.

He also doesn't mind showing Joe up which I do enjoy. One of the few likeable fellas on OTB.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

You know you can just not listen to the show if it bothers you that much right? :rolleyes:

Dan McDonnell is a fantastic contributor, very knowledgeable on all things Irish football.

Mod Note Again

Please remind yourselves of the charter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Like him or not, he is a big part of why the show exists. He was the first presenter when it kicked off and he seems to be the driving force behind the morning webcasts which I think is working quite well. Over 6k seem to dip in each day to that show on Twitter alone.

He's not my favorite presenter but he's not the worst either.

He it the worst presenter on radio in Ireland in my book (That is including local radio stations) and as for being the genius that created the show....
    It was not that hard given there was a complete gap in the market for it there was no Irish equivalent to an independent radio station that had a 2/3 show that discussed the alternative views on sports which differed from the mainstream state run stations.

All he had to do was listen to talksport and put his own slant on it.
    (He owns balls.ie as well same type of thing)
    Personally he IS the major turnoff that I stopped listening to off the ball he has got even more irritating with time.
    (I would now never even chance listening to it it when he is on)
    Now his hubris has reached Walter White proportions.

In truth I never thought he was a good presenter:

He can rarely ask a question to an interviewee without going on a self-important monologue

He constantly "eh, em and euhs" his way through statements.
    (Any half decent community radio presenter would not do that)

He does that annoying Cartman high pitch thing (when he gets overly excited) where he wanders off to his "Were you like and your were like.."

He should do his work behind the scenes and stay away from the mic.
    I don't listen to the morning webcasts etc.

I think a major part of Off the Balls "success" is that they have no real competition on radio, they are now a brand name trading on past glories from McDevitt, Early & Murphy.
    Ireland is a small country and there is not much choice other then state funded stations.
    How many off the people who still listen to OTB listen to it because there is nothing else on?

To paraphrase Gilroy -

"I am like...screw you...euh....eh.....em...your making a balls of OTB."

I think if OTB made Nathan Murphy the main anchor the show might get back on some even keel.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

^^^^
    Honestly, if it's not that hard, and there's no competition, go start your own sports discussion platforms.

There's obviously money in it given the popularity they enjoy.
    Added bonus is you and various other won't have to listen to the worst of the worst and I won't have to read about ye complaining about it. Incessantly.
    Win win as they say.

Post a link here when you're up an running, you'll have at least 5 or 6 listeners immediately.

^^^^
    Honestly, if it's not that hard, and there's no competition, go start your own sports discussion platforms.

There's obviously money in it given the popularity they enjoy.
    Added bonus is you and various other won't have to listen to the worst of the worst and I won't have to read about ye complaining about it. Incessantly.
    Win win as they say.

Post a link here when you're up an running, you'll have at least 5 or 6 listeners immediately.

The whole nature of boards.ie is it gives people a platform to complain about things ( within the charter) as you put it.

You however, are on the other end of the spectrum and are the main apologist for OTB.
    You can see NOTHING wrong with it all nearly everything is fantastic, nearly every interview is "interesting"
    Nearly every interview is worth a listen.
    To such an extent I have my suspicions that you are a plant from OTB!

I on the other hand would still be a regular listener to OTB if Gilroy in particular went off mic.
    I think Nathan Murphy is a superb presenter and given his run.
    Molloy is good when he steers clear of the moralising.
    There badly needs to be more fun on the show not contrived fun - a decent chemistry either cordial or antagonistic to make it work (either spectrum).

I actually did some local community radio stuff nearly a decade ago but through personal circumstances (not like Keys and Gray / Hook by the way) I had to knock it on its head.

The whole nature of boards.ie is it gives people a platform to complain about things ( within the charter) as you put it.

You on the other hand are on the other end of the spectrum and are the main apologist for OTB.
    You can see NOTHING wrong with it all nearly everything is fantastic, nearly every interview is "interesting"
    Nearly every interview is worth a listen.
    To such an extent I have my suspicions that you are a plant from OTB!

I on the other hand would still be a regular listener to OTB if Gilroy in particular went off mic.
    I think Nathan Murphy is a superb presenter and given his run.
    Molloy is good when he steers clear of the moralising.
    There badly needs to be more fun on the show not contrived fun - a decent chemistry either cordial or antagonistic to make it work (either spectrum).

I actually did some local community radio stuff nearly a decade ago but through personal circumstances (not like Keys and Gray / Hook by the way) I had to knock it on its head.
    Oh please let there be soundcloud links.

My bosses in OTB I mean, I'd love to hear that.

Oh please let there be soundcloud links.

My bosses in OTB I mean, I'd love to hear that.

Unfortunately there isn't, but it was good craic, gives you a good insight to the workings of behind the scenes stuff.

(Which I suppose is part of the reason that OTB annoys me now - Gilroy (still) seems so amateurish on mic - the direction the show has taken etc etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭gluppers

Listening to the road show last night for a few minutes.
    Is it Luke Fitzgerald that sounds like a character from a Ross O'Carroll Kelly book?

The D4 accent is strong in that one.

Yep, that's Leinster for you

That was probably a poor first impression of him but Dan McDonnell is one of the best contributors they have imo.

Excellent knowledge of everything relating to Irish football but a good all rounder also.

He also doesn't mind showing Joe up which I do enjoy. One of the few likeable fellas on OTB.

Yep, I don't understand the nasty comments about him either. I like him. A good egg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

gluppers wrote: »
    Yep, that's Leinster for you
    Anyone notice how much L.F has aged over the last couple of years.

Seemed to go from fresh looking young fella to old and ragged very quickly.

Learned it was him who did what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Deag4

He does that annoying Cartman high pitch thing (when he gets overly excited)

That high pitch thing is really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Deag4 wrote: »
    He does that annoying Cartman high pitch thing (when he gets overly excited)

That high pitch thing is really annoying.

In the industry that's referred to as the "Ryle Nugent".

I listened to about 25mins /30 minutes today on car radio about 7.30pm - 8.00pm.

It immediately caught my interest - an interview with Terrance 'Sambo' McNughton Antrim hurling legend and former manager.

He was interviewed by Cuala/Tipp hurling man Shane Stapleton who did a good job interviewing.
    He then interviewed Sambo's young fella who is trying to start a career as an actor.

It was different and even made me turn up the volume!

Then there was another interview by a fella called Shane Hannon who interviewed Stephen Hendry in the Crucible.
    Another good interview.

Not a Molloy or Gilroy to be heard!!

Nathan Murphy had the chair in the studio.

It was good stuff the next bit was going to be discussing munster leinster rugby rivalry back in 2008.
    (I am not into rugby really but even that angle sounded good to me)
    I did not listen to that, but I thought to myself that is what it could be like, sports guests you don't normally hear with something to say, or a period in time that team A were rivals to Team B etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

ffs can we ask the other two to just leave the studio so that we can get Andy's opinion on the fight tonight. Comparing having a fight to preparing for a gig or writing an article, give me a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

ffs can we ask the other two to just leave the studio so that we can get Andy's opinion on the fight tonight. Comparing having a fight to preparing for a gig or writing an article, give me a break.

Here's Andy Lee on the big fight...and, eh, a member of The Delorentos.

May as well just have "random man from pub". Might even be better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Ron Jones signing off from regular football commentary today. Really like Ron, nice low key dulcet welsh tone.
    He's hoping to get to do Cardiff and Swansea games as it's the travelling that he doesn't like anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Anyone else unable to download the paper review?

It's available on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rufuseric82

humberklog wrote: »
    Ron Jones signing off from regular football commentary today. Really like Ron, nice low key dulcet welsh tone.
    He's hoping to get to do Cardiff and Swansea games as it's the travelling that he doesn't like anymore.

Wonderful commentator. Always love hearing him on the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

https://soundcloud.com/user-914121770/loi-weekly-episode-6#t=56:57

Brian Kerr names Ron Jones as his favourite broadcaster to have worked with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Oisin Langan covering the Dublin - Kilkenny game?

Eh? Glad he's on, but what happened to him going?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rufuseric82

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Oisin Langan covering the Dublin - Kilkenny game?

Eh? Glad he's on, but what happened to him going?

He's said he'll still be doing some reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Was it Michael Daragh McAuley that was being interviewed this evening? Unbelievably hard to listen to whoever it was.
    I've never heard anyone use "like" as much, between every third word. That and the rap and basketball talk about Pac, Fatty and MJ. Jesus he's a dose to listen to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Was it Michael Daragh McAuley that was being interviewed this evening? Unbelievably hard to listen to whoever it was.
    I've never heard anyone use "like" as much, between every third word. That and the rap and basketball talk about Pac, Fatty and MJ. Jesus he's a dose to listen to.

Yep, an absolute tit. Sounds like he hasn’t much going on between his ears, school teacher too. The ‘like’ stuff was ear piercing, turned it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

sightband wrote: »

Yep, an absolute tit. Sounds like he hasn’t much going on between his ears, school teacher too. The ‘like’ stuff was ear piercing, turned it off.

Long before I stopped listening to OTB, I stopped listening to the mundane player interviews they do across all sports. I didn’t hear this particular interview either but that type of idiocy would be particularly encouraged by the OTB presenters who always want to come across as “one of the lads” by “extracting” their guests’ “real” personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

sightband wrote:

I was in the car so turned on OTB to see if there was anything interesting on. I didn't realise at time that it was Michael Darragh McCauley in the studio, but I switched off after about 2 mins. In those 2 mins he must have used the word "like" 50 times...how in the name of god did that fella qualify as a teacher?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Paper Review showing up for anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Paper Review showing up for anyone?

Just showed up now for me.
    Sinead O'Carroll and Gary O'Toole.

Just showed up now for me.
    Sinead O'Carroll and Gary O'Toole.

Worth a listen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

This guy from Boylesports is really annoying. he's getting a gig more than once a week and can't feckin pronounce bournemouth. i just wish they were relegated.

also, why bother with the story about the guy from an Post who stole to feed his gambling habit? on one hand, gambling is bad, but here's the odds on Salah to score in the champions league final...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Haven't listened to the football show in ages. What's this, an ad for Boylesports dressed up as a Champions League final preview?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

pc7 wrote: »
    Worth a listen?

Sorry, haven't listened to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I thought the Saturday panel on Gaelic Football was really good. Enda McGinley, Danny Hughes and Anthony Moyles on it.

The Sunday Game chuckle squad could learn a lot from the way they discussed issues like grown ups.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement