Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

I listened to the Sunday Paper Review. Gary O'Toole was insightful and usual. Sinead O'Carroll was painful as usual.
    The point that O'Toole made about the negative coverage of the GAA was very interesting, something I'd never thought about before, but it is a very interesting point. It seems the only purpose of the media coverage of Gaelic Football is to mock the whole thing. Particularly since Brolly and Spillane have become so prominent as pundits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I got it on my podcast app under 'The Panel on Off the Ball'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

How come it seems like at least every second time I put on OTB, they're doing a rugby roadshow/circle jerk?

Thank God for podcasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,075 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Ol' Donie wrote:
    How come it seems like at least every second time I put on OTB, they're doing a rugby roadshow/circle jerk?

I'm not a fan of them either. Lot of poor jokes, fake laughs and not much else.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Ol' Donie wrote: »

Thank God for podcasts.
    awful stuff, farming calves and heffers gags and kiddie tales from yer one. like sitting at worst table at a wedding. horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Thank God for podcasts.

Old war stories. So mundane.

Jayesdiem wrote:

Yeah but they're on so often they must be very successful. Either through ticket sales or associated sponsorship. There seems to be few tickets left for each one also so there are those they appeal to.

I'd sooner go and sit in the studio some evening than go to an outside broadcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Thank God for podcasts.

at least they didn't have Keith Wood on again, the man could probably get by just on OTB roadshow appearance fees alone...

Having said that, a Kilbane-Cunnigham Football Show is fine by me.

Is Kenny on RTE highlights duty for the World Cup? That was unexpectedly brilliant last time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

at least they didn't have Keith Wood on again, the man could probably get by just on OTB roadshow appearance fees alone...
    Denis O’Brien has appointed him to the board of Communicorp.

Yeah but they're on so often they must be very successful. Either through ticket sales or associated sponsorship. There seems to be few tickets left for each one also so there are those they appeal to.

I'd sooner go and sit in the studio some evening than go to an outside broadcast.

They're just a big ad for that manky beer that goes hand in hand with tagging along pretending you care about rugby, aren't they?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Is there much else to fill time with this week?

Also tonight is Wednesday so they were doing the Wednesday night rugby bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Joe Dog

I listened to the Sunday Paper Review. Gary O'Toole was insightful and usual. Sinead O'Carroll was painful as usual.
    The point that O'Toole made about the negative coverage of the GAA was very interesting, something I'd never thought about before, but it is a very interesting point. It seems the only purpose of the media coverage of Gaelic Football is to mock the whole thing. Particularly since Brolly and Spillane have become so prominent as pundits.

It' amazing that the GAA themselves have put up with it for so long.They give a broadcaster the opportunity to show the sport and yet they do nothing but badmouth it continuously and most of the time without much justification.I doubt most other sporting organisations with put up with their broadcast partner being so unbelievably negative about their sport.I still cant work out why RTE think the 3 main football pundits are helping the coverage.

Joe Dog wrote: »

It' amazing that the GAA themselves have put up with it for so long.They give a broadcaster the opportunity to show the sport and yet they do nothing but badmouth it continuously and most of the time without much justification.I doubt most other sporting organisations with put up with their broadcast partner being so unbelievably negative about their sport.I still cant work out why RTE think the 3 main football pundits are helping the coverage.

Two of the three should be gotten rid of to change the message. RTE’s rugby coverage has always been better because they had the Brolly/O’Rourke/Spillane clone in George Hook and his antithesis in, usually Conor O’Shea. Brent Pope had elements of both in the middle. It’s similar with Brady, Giles and Dunphy in soccer but for some reason in GAA, RTE have gone for three Hooks/Dunphys. As the most intelligent of the three, Brolly should stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Jayesdiem wrote: »

Often times tales of downright thuggery.

The double standards always crack me up.

If somebody like Dylan Hartley bursts somebody he's a cold blooded thug, when 'Saint Pauli' or one of the boys inflict harm it's just a big laugh.

After what Froome did in the Giro yesterday, I hope Kimmage is lined up for paper review tomorrow.

Jayesdiem wrote: »

Often times tales of downright thuggery.

The double standards always crack me up.

If somebody like Dylan Hartley bursts somebody he's a cold blooded thug, when 'Saint Pauli' or one of the boys inflict harm it's just a big laugh.

But this is part of a wider issue with OTB and the media in general. They paint their own as whiter than white, rule-abiding competitors. We all know Irish athletes don’t dope don’t we? None of them except for those few times in the past. But the Russians? Kick them out. The Brits are exactly the same but even worse. Look at the Bolt/Gatlin “storyline”. Vince McMahon couldn’t have done it better himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

After what Froome did in the Giro yesterday, I hope Kimmage is lined up for paper review tomorrow.

I'd say Kimmage has spontaneously combusted after Froome's performance!

It's Bernard Jackman and Kieran Cunningham lined up for the paper review.

It's Bernard Jackman and Kieran Cunningham lined up for the paper review.

Leinster Leinster Leinster so tomorrow.
    Might give it a miss.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Nice weekend of sport behind us (rugby, GAA (hurling and football), champions league and even a bit of golf so plenty to chat about. Instead the main discussion topic since the show started; sterling’s gun tattoo. What a joke, mad to get outraged.

#movethedial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Nice weekend of sport behind us (rugby, GAA (hurling and football), champions league and even a bit of golf so plenty to chat about. Instead the main discussion topic since the show started; sterling’s gun tattoo. What a joke, mad to get outraged.

#movethedial

You or them ?

#movethedial

My advice to you is to turn over/delete their podcast feed from your phone. It’s only after I did this that I realised what a disproportionate irritant they were in my life. I’m about 3% happier as a result of this one action.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

cannot listen to that tommy walsh lad, there might be some substance to whatever he has to say but it’s just too painful to listen to

I actually like Tommy Walsh, in the same way that I like John Mullane. It's like sitting beside a knowledgeable guy in the stands for commentary. Very entertaining.
    The Drico interview with Isa Nacewa was brilliant as well. They should get him to do all the rugby interviews. Very insightful, interesting questions about playing for Fiji, the decision to move back to NZ, difference in Leinster when he came back. If Ger or Joe had been doing the interview would have been 90% questions about how difficult it was being a black man in Ireland.
    After this, I think Drico should do all the rugby interviews. He's very bland at the punditry, but he's very good at the interviewing.

Tommy Walsh is definitely one of the better contributors they have on any sport. One of the better ones on any Irish sports show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I actually like Tommy Walsh, in the same way that I like John Mullane. It's like sitting beside a knowledgeable guy in the stands for commentary. Very entertaining.
    The Drico interview with Isa Nacewa was brilliant as well. They should get him to do all the rugby interviews. Very insightful, interesting questions about playing for Fiji, the decision to move back to NZ, difference in Leinster when he came back. If Ger or Joe had been doing the interview would have been 90% questions about how difficult it was being a black man in Ireland.
    After this, I think Drico should do all the rugby interviews. He's very bland at the punditry, but he's very good at the interviewing.

Agree with the Tommy Walsh bit, it is the enthusiasm that does it.

In contrast though I find Brian O'Driscoll very dull to listen to, montone kind of half asleep like he just woke up (I would only have a very causal interest in rugby at best though)

I turned it off after 5 minutes of the introduction (can't be listening to that I will fall asleep and crash the car! I said to myself)
    But it always seems to me that BOD is there just because he is BOD.

For me I always liked Gerry Thornley's enthusiasm on radio (like a mix of someone who loves rugby and Dave Fanning on speed).
    The contrast between him and BOD on radio is night and day.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

If a fax machine could talk, it would sound like Eoin Sheehan. Cant take to him at all. I think being prepared to follow the company line and treat Gilroy like God supercedes actually being entertaining or colourful on the job.

If a fax machine could talk, it would sound like Eoin Sheehan. Cant take to him at all. I think being prepared to follow the company line and treat Gilroy like God supercedes actually being entertaining or colourful on the job.

If you tuned in to OTBAM you'd see he consistently contradicts or has a different view to Ger.

• Advertisement

The difference in tone of the conversation about ladies football on Radio One. Ruth Fahy is saying "I don't want people to come to games just because we ask them, I want them to come because they want to and because they think they will be entertained." If the same discussion on OTB, the presenter would have already been turned it into an issue of discrimination that people were not going to the ladies matches.

The difference in tone of the conversation about ladies football on Radio One. Ruth Fahy is saying "I don't want people to come to games just because we ask them, I want them to come because they want to and because they think they will be entertained." If the same discussion on OTB, the presenter would have already been turned it into an issue of discrimination that people were not going to the ladies matches.

They had a Saturday panel last year (I think) and the focus was making the game appeal to the wider public because if it was just because of "supporting the girls" it would fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I have a sister who played camoige for Tipp. I've been at more matches than I can remember. Very low attendance for most games, just friends and family really.

The standard is fairly poor in fairness. A decent boys u14 club side would comfortably beat the best senior camoige side in the country.

You have to laugh at Joe Molloy. Talking about the dangers of having one man who controls all the media in Russia. Why exactly does he think Sam Smyth got fired from his job?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I didn't hear the bit but could he have been using the Russia situation as a metaphor? You know using Russia as an alternative way of talking about Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

You have to laugh at Joe Molloy. Talking about the dangers of having one man who controls all the media in Russia. Why exactly does he think Sam Smyth got fired from his job?

You think REDACTED is controlling sports media in Ireland? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

He's controlling the radio station on which the sports media is being broadcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

He's controlling the radio station on which the sports media is being broadcast.

Sometimes there is no conspiracy though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

He's in no position to throw stones when there's a media ownership issue on his own doorstep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Reading on here about the lads being so careful so not to offend anyone. I hadn't really taken much notice of it until Tuesday night. When they were discussing the VAR official at the world cup having to wear a full kit. I think Richie called them full kit ****...poor old Joe nearly fell off his chair with shock.

Reading on here about the lads being so careful so not to offend anyone. I hadn't really taken much notice of it until Tuesday night. When they were discussing the VAR official at the world cup having to wear a full kit. I think Richie called them full kit ****...poor old Joe nearly fell off his chair with shock.

I think he was only surprised because Richie used it on the radio. I know this because he said "you can't say that on air" or something similar.
    He wasn't particularly bothered Richie thought of them in that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Thisisthetime

With the lads being so politically correct is anybody surprised they are happy to be sponsored by a gambling company? I was listening to the World Cup Daily show from yesterday and I was surprised to hear a representative from the gambling company coming in to do a segment on various bets for the tournament.

He was on for about 8/9 mins giving advice on bets and the odds for each one, I just thought why would an employee of a gambling company be giving out advice on bets that would win?

I know other podcasts do this, The GAA hour with Colm Parkinson is sponsored by another gambling company and they have a representative in each Thursday to talk about the weekends action and the odds for bets. But I also read Matt Cooper stopped all tipping/gambling talk around Cheltenham on The Last Word on todayfm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭LowOdour

With the lads being so politically correct is anybody surprised they are happy to be sponsored by a gambling company? I was listening to the World Cup Daily show from yesterday and I was surprised to hear a representative from the gambling company coming in to do a segment on various bets for the tournament.

He was on for about 8/9 mins giving advice on bets and the odds for each one, I just thought why would an employee of a gambling company be giving out advice on bets that would win?

I know other podcasts do this, The GAA hour with Colm Parkinson is sponsored by another gambling company and they have a representative in each Thursday to talk about the weekends action and the odds for bets. But I also read Matt Cooper stopped all tipping/gambling talk around Cheltenham on The Last Word on todayfm.

Found having someone on from Paddy Power (it'l be every day afaik) quite odd. I understand the presenters etc talking about odds now and then, but having a gambling promotion quite unusual in this day and age.

I think he was only surprised because Richie used it on the radio. I know this because he said "you can't say that on air" or something similar.
    He wasn't particularly bothered Richie thought of them in that way.

There was at one stage I tuned in to the car radio, few days ago about 8pm ish.
    The lads were in full 'banter' mode with Molloy discussing whether Micahel D. Higgins called Michael Graham (Newstalk American shockjock contributor) a "C". The discussion then moved on further when Molloy clarified Michael D. did not call Michael Graham a "C" it was in fact a "W".

All I could think to myself this gob****e is turning this into Seaseme Street.
    What is tomorrows letter?

There was at one stage I tuned in to the car radio, few days ago about 8pm ish. The lads were in full 'banter' mode with Molloy discussing whether Micahel D. Higgins called Michael Graham (Newstalk American shockjock contributor) a "C". The discussion then moved on further when Molloy clarified Michael D. did not call Michael Graham a "C" it was in fact a "W".

Do you think they should have used the full words?

On public radio, before the traditional watershed?

The lads were in full 'banter' mode with Molloy discussing whether Micahel D. Higgins called Michael Graham (Newstalk American shockjock contributor) a "C". The discussion then moved on further when Molloy clarified Michael D. did not call Michael Graham a "C" it was in fact a "W".
    That's right. I was listening to it at the time and I couldn't remember him calling him a C. I'm sure Michael D is far too polite to ever use the C word.
    The interview is actually still up on YouTube

I said this before but I think Richie has been given the role of "colour" contributor since Woolly left. Interjecting with wacky and "controversial" statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Raoul

Yeah it really grates on me. They like to have it both ways. It is the kind of thing you can see them complaining about and I am pretty sure they have had shows in the past giving out about gambling ads and sponsorship. Now they have a ridiculous amount of gambling talk on their shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Californeeway

Money talks unfortunately, they obviously all need money from the bookies to supplement the income from their ads. The advertising of these bookies through the disguise of ‘analysis’ and offering their opinion is embarrassing and I make sure to switch off or end the podcast when it comes on. If they really wanted to help out listeners they would tell the public all about betting odds that are over inflated due to some bias or other. Those odds by their nature wouldn’t last long if that was the case. The fact they think Spain might win because of x,y and z is irrelevant because their odds are fixed to be less than the actual probability. So it’s a con to dress it all up as betting advice. If some of their ‘tips’ happen to win they don’t care because they know they will get the money back in the long run by punters who try and double their money instead of cashing out straight away.

Do you think they should have used the full words?

On public radio, before the traditional watershed?

Well Ger Gilroy is fairly loose with the Wanker talk normally.

It wouldn't bother me if they did. But my point was how ridiculous it sounded.
    I think it is a result of Americanism's such as using the acronym letters "BS MF" etc in conversation.

Sounds like Banker and Runt would have sufficed in my view.

I have heard the banker one used by football commentators George Hamilton?
    "They seem to be inferring that the refs profession is that of a banker"

That's right. I was listening to it at the time and I couldn't remember him calling him a C. I'm sure Michael D is far too polite to ever use the C word.
    The interview is actually still up on YouTube

I said this before but I think Richie has been given the role of "colour" contributor since Woolly left. Interjecting with wacky and "controversial" statements.

I thought of that myself about Richie.
    But it does not come naturally to him, it just sounds snide and/or bitchy I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I don't see that at all. Whereas Woolly spoke his mind, and gave his opinion (however misguided it may have been, at times), Richie just spouts whatever populist, pc rubbish he has formed an opinion of from browsing Twitter. His idea of being controversial was to give out about the Irish fans for singing outside some Ann Summers shop in Copenhagen last year! Painful bolix IMO

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement