Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I don't see that at all. Whereas Woolly spoke his mind, and gave his opinion (however misguided it may have been, at times), Richie just spouts whatever populist, pc rubbish he has formed an opinion of from browsing Twitter. His idea of being controversial was to give out about the Irish fans for singing outside some Ann Summers shop in Copenhagen last year! Painful bolix IMO

this, exactly!

except they were outside the irish pub that just happened to be beside Ann Summers. the way they were going on about it, it was as if the fans had purposely gone to the shop for a laugh.

as for whether they should be swearing on the radio, they are professional broadcasters, so they should be well able to make a point without having to swear. you'd forgive a sports person for swearing, there's a shyteload of adrenaline flowing, but when a broadcaster uses it, it's a bit lazy.

case in point being Ray D'arcy. used to swear to get his point across about the seat belts a few years ago (i think it was that, or drink driving). wouldn't expect anything else from him, as i think he's shyte anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

There was at one stage I tuned in to the car radio, few days ago about 8pm ish.
    The lads were in full 'banter' mode with Molloy discussing whether Micahel D. Higgins called Michael Graham (Newstalk American shockjock contributor) a "C". The discussion then moved on further when Molloy clarified Michael D. did not call Michael Graham a "C" it was in fact a "W".

All I could think to myself this gob****e is turning this into Seaseme Street.
    What is tomorrows letter?
    I wonder would the lads have laughed as hard if it had been the other way round and the conservative Graham had launched a tirade of vulgar abuse at 'D'.

I remember Higgins was getting soundly defeated in the debate and had to resort to profanity and ad hominem attacks.

It was some laugh alright, the nasty side of D was exposed to the nation.

It's a wonder it didn't crop up again when he ran for President.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Good men (and women for those who could be offended).......not three mobile pages ago I expressed how my withdrawal from any OTB related content had bolstered my happiness on a day to day basis (~3%). Rather than keeping these complete and utter ball bags on the air, I urge you all to do the same.

Signed, the most irrational and pathological complainer on this thread ðŸ‘ðŸ»

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Jayesdiem wrote: »

Signed, the most irrational and pathological complainer on this thread ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Sure for all we know you could be Richie McCormack himself looking for material for his next witty retort and put down? :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Jayesdiem wrote:
    Good men (and women for those who could be offended).......not three mobile pages ago I expressed how my withdrawal from any OTB related content had bolstered my happiness on a day to day basis (~3%). Rather than keeping these complete and utter ball bags on the air, I urge you all to do the same.

I've found since you withdrew (and stopped incessant complaining) my daily happiness has increased by circa 3% also.

Win win as they say. Thanks Jayesdiem!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

I agree completely with Jay. I've actually done the same. Trying to listen to audiobooks all the time now. And if I find myself drifting off listening to the audiobooks (which happens all the time) I record a few youtube videos --> mp3 and listen to those instead.
    Never underestimate the power of radio to influence your mood. And I would find that I would sit in to the car in the morning in reasonable mood. But between the ads or listening to Paul Williams attempts to be "provocative", I would invariably be in bad form after forty minutes with the radio tuned to Newstalk.

Believe me. One round of ads will do your good mood in:
    - that stupid kid on the Curry's PC World
    -That shouting, spud munching, inbred bogger on Expert Electrical
    - That Laya family, who I hope are pushed off a f**king cliff in the next version of the ad.
    - One of the nationalised banks telling us what great bunch of lads they are as I drive to work to pay off their debts.

argggghhh I'm getting annoyed just thinking about them. I can't imagine that you could be subject to anything as bad in a Prisoner Of War camp! So I would advise everybody to at the very least switch when that ads come on... oh and Ger Gilroy :-)

I agree completely with Jay. I've actually done the same. Trying to listen to audiobooks all the time now. And if I find myself drifting off listening to the audiobooks (which happens all the time) I record a few youtube videos --> mp3 and listen to those instead. Never underestimate the power of radio to influence your mood. And I would find that I would sit in to the car in the morning in reasonable mood. But between the ads or listening to Paul Williams attempts to be "provocative", I would invariably be in bad form after forty minutes with the radio tuned to Newstalk.

Way hayy! Good for you!!

Now, if you just follow through on the 2nd part by not posting here, because, you know, you don't listen to the show anymore, I too can pick up 3% more happiness.

#3%

I agree completely with Jay. I've actually done the same. Trying to listen to audiobooks all the time now. And if I find myself drifting off listening to the audiobooks (which happens all the time) I record a few youtube videos --> mp3 and listen to those instead. Never underestimate the power of radio to influence your mood. And I would find that I would sit in to the car in the morning in reasonable mood. But between the ads or listening to Paul Williams attempts to be "provocative", I would invariably be in bad form after forty minutes with the radio tuned to Newstalk.

Way hayy! Good for you!!

Now, if you just follow through on the 2nd part by not posting here, because, you know, you don't listen to the show anymore, I too can pick up 3% more happiness.

#3%
    Well I was trying to give everybody a bit of advice. Have you considered that by closing down all your social media, locking all the doors and windows, and closing the curtains, you may get back all those other 3%s and achieve 100% happiness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Well I was trying to give everybody a bit of advice. Have you considered that by closing down all your social media, locking all the doors and windows, and closing the curtains, you may get back all those other 3%s and achieve 100% happiness?

I'd be more inclined to suggest opening curtains and letting sunshine in....

I'm on a roll here, nearly 6% in one day isn't bad going.

Patww79 wrote:

Wow. We've entered the twilight zone if I'm the one being accused as perpetually offended!

;)

Have noticed they're advertising OTB on 98FM now.

Does anyone know is this a separate production or a repeat of newstalk/ online content?

I noticed on Wooly’s podcast that Stephen McDonnell called GAA a “man’s game”. Lucky he doesn’t work for Newstalk or he would surely have been forced to fall on his sword?

I noticed on Wooly’s podcast that Stephen McDonnell called GAA a “man’s game”. Lucky he doesn’t work for Newstalk or he would surely have been forced to fall on his sword?

Stop fishing....

th?id=OIP._rDJxWq61UaSu5pVPWeoowHaEd&pid=15.1&P=0&w=293&h=178

At least wait for something to give out about, rather then invent a scenario?

Stop fishing....

th?id=OIP._rDJxWq61UaSu5pVPWeoowHaEd&pid=15.1&P=0&w=293&h=178

At least wait for something to give out about, rather then invent a scenario?

I didn’t invent anything. I stated a fact and then asked a question.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Paper review wasn't bad, but Cliona irritates me how she constantly interrupts, someone looking for a page number for article she jumps in and starts waffling. Did like the piece about the GAA and not supporting gambling sponsorship and an eerie silence ensues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Declan Lynch is awfully bitter regarding Rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Joe Dog

Declan Lynch is awfully bitter regarding Rugby.

He's awfully bitter about everything.

The one thing that pisses me off about the Irish sports media in general is very few can seem to praise one team/sportsperson without denigrating someone/something else.Almost sporting success this country has must be compared to something else and used to put down something else.

The amount of time given in the Irish media to people having a dig at another sport is unbelievable and it really doesn't make for good reading or listening.

Neil Francis in his pieces in the sindo every time the rugby team is successful he then make a great effort to point out that Rugby trumps the GAA and soccer now. Couldn't he just praise the rugby team and leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Who’s tonight’s mystery voice? It’s on the top of my tongue but I can’t get it and it’s driving me crazy!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

stuart pearce

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭monstermag

Am l the only one who thinks the Spain V Portugal game wasn't the greatest game of all time? Apart from the Ronaldo free kick, which was a thing of beauty, the game itself was a little disappointing.
    I've enjoyed other matches a lot more, e.g Russia V Egypt, Uruguay V Saudi Arabia, Portugal V Morocco , I was rutting for Morocco , really deserved something out of the game, they play nice football, lovely passing, they just couldn't finish. Alot of the weaker teams are playing similar football. As l was watching l taught to myself, how would Ireland fair here, l reached the conclusion that they would be absolutely dreadful, no other team in the tournament play like us, apart from maybe Denmark, but they have Erickson. We like Morocco would be going home early, but I would be a lot happier playing like Morocco rather than lreland exiting playing ****e caveman football.

I would love to know what Declan Lynch thinks of this new OTB thing where they have the Boyle Sports shill in studio acting like he is one of their pals. I think this is particularly sinister. There doesn't seem to be any message like "when the fun stops, stop gambling" or whatever that laughable statement they have at the end of the TV ads is. He just talks away with his "pals" about the sport, delicately dropping in mentions of tips and the links to the Boyle Sports page on the OTB website when he feels appropriate. "We have ten to one on Spain tonight for new subscribers, and that's a certain win" says he, like the drug dealer giving the addict their first hit for free.
    And you know I do understand that they are a private station... they don't have RTE's money or license fee backing. It must be tough to compete with that. But don't have Ger Gilroy and Joe Molloy coming on the radio the other five days of the week lecturing us about the dangers of gambling, when OTB is part of the problem.
    I'd say Declan Lynch must be told to keep his mouth shut about this, or has the common sense to realise that if he mentions it then he's gone. Surely he will get sick of biting his tongue pretty soon though, if he is to be seen as a serious journalist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Totally agree. Really puts me off listening to that podcast. You should email that in to them!

Edit - No doubt off the ball are getting a referral fee and commission for everyone that sign up using their link too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

One of their weekend shows is basically an advertorial for Boyle Sports. So as a listener thats me gone.

bot43 wrote: »
    One of their weekend shows is basically an advertorial for Boyle Sports. So as a listener thats me gone.

I listen at the weekend and can't say I've noticed that either of their entire 5 hour shows on a Saturday or Sunday is an advertorial. Strange that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭viboy

Listen to their premiership build up on Saturday afternoons, the absolutely have a shill from Boyle Sports casually dropping odds into the conversation.

Between that and the tedious banter I'm finding them a hard listen at the moment. Joe Molloy and Kilbane are bad enough but the mere sound of Adrian Barry is enough to make me switch off.

I see that they have a new sponsor. Screwfix.ie
    454056.jpg

I think that ScrewFix should register the screwyou.ie domain and get Ger Gilroy to do the voiceover for the commercial. I've even written the script for Gilroy:
    "Hi I'm Ger Gilroy from Off The Ball. If a friend asked me where would he go to buy a screwdriver, I'd be like 'Screw You'.... and he'd be like 'What the f**k did I do on you' .... and then I'd be like 'No, silly, screwyou.ie, it's a website where you can buy your screwdriver and all sorts of manly tools'.
    ScrewYou.ie  - for all your social justice warrior hardware needs"

You have to laugh at the double standards on Off The Ball.

Kevin Kilbane reports the West Ham fans to the FA for calling Harry Kane a Mong (i.e. a person who is stupid or who has learning difficulties) as this is bad.

Risteard Cooper does an impression of Harry Kane as a Mong (i.e. a person who is stupid or who has learning difficulties) and this is to be considered hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Kevin Kilbane reports the West Ham fans to the FA for calling Harry Kane a Mong (i.e. a person who is stupid or who has learning difficulties) as this is bad.

Risteard Cooper does an impression of Harry Kane as a Mong (i.e. a person who is stupid or who has learning difficulties) and this is to be considered hilarious.

I did kind of think that it sounded a bit dodgy but then again, it does sound like an impersonation of Harry Kane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

bot43 wrote: »

World Cup Daily on live now, Boylesports logos all over, some guy from them in the studio now talking about all the different odds and bets.

nj97FTo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

World Cup Daily on live now, Boylesports logos all over, some guy from them in the studio now talking about all the different odds and bets.

nj97FTo.jpg

Oh my God. That's embarassing. I can see 3 large logos and the ticker across the bottom, So four visual ads for Boylesports and the conversation is about Boylesports.

It's not too much to say that's disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Oh my God. That's embarassing. I can see 3 large logos and the ticker across the bottom, So four visual ads for Boylesports and the conversation is about Boylesports.

It's not too much to say that's disgraceful.

That Eoin Sheahan lad is a pain too. A disciple of Ger Gilroy, which is no good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

But wait, it's an impersonation of Harry Kane is it not? And to be fair it does sound like him.

You're the one that made the connection of saying Harry Kane talks like a "Mong".

Cooper doesn't say this is his impression of a "Mong" which actually sounds like Kane, you've done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭monstermag

Joe in conversation with a journalist about Argentina and Messi in particular, apparently he thanked God for the win over Nigeria. Joe couldn't get his head around someone like Messi believing in God. Joe really really wanted the journalist to say that Messi wasn't religious.

That’s one thing myself and Joe could actually agree on.

That’s one thing myself and Joe could actually agree on.

Yeah I would agree as well.
    But you wouldn't try and impose your views in a sneery way like Joe does?

If it gives people solace I don't see the problem with people who believe region/after life/spirts going elsewhere around us:

Look how calm and chilled out it makes Katie Taylor it gives her strength/focus.
    The same with Micky Harte and his family when Michaela was murdered.
    His faith helped him.

There is no reason to have a constant sneering undercurrent about relgious people, the way Joe does when he has the chance.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Only got to listen to Ross Tucker last night, know some on here hate the doping talk but the Froome decision looks like major trouble for WADA and anti-doping. Sad day. Worth a listen if you missed it, he's just fantastic. He does little youtube videos and E19 covers, its good.

Apres Match are on to them they might finally realise how they are perceived?

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/apres-match-492/10901385/

I have wonder for ages why apres match don't move away from RTE parody and do more independent media / social media parody stuff.

There is a years worth of comedy with Ger Gilroy alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Apres Match are on to them they might finally realise how they are perceived?

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/apres-match-492/10901385/

I have wonder for ages why apres match don't move away from RTE parody and do more independent media / social media parody stuff.

There is a years worth of comedy with Ger Gilroy alone.

Yes, time to take on cretins outside RTE .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Used to listen a lot when Wooly and Ger were hosting it a lot.

I don't like Joe, far too clean cut and I dunno, there's just something strange about him.

Kilbane is just terrible. How on earth is he in there?

And I despise when I hear McIntyre come on...terrible voice and mannerisms like emphasising parts of words for no reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Used to listen a lot when Wooly and Ger were hosting it a lot.

I don't like Joe, far too clean cut and I dunno, there's just something strange about him.

Kilbane is just terrible. How on earth is he in there?

And I despise when I hear McIntyre come on...terrible voice and mannerisms like emphasising parts of words for no reason.

Harsh words, probably all deserved but my only question is how in sweet f*cking god has the Richie McCormack tosser not made your hitlist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭gluppers

Yes, time to take on cretins outside RTE .

This is brilliant

I wonder if the 'boil' insertion is a pun on OTB and their Boyle sports and bookies association

Best bit is the piss take on Smug Captains and their 'retro annual' at the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭gluppers

sightband wrote: »
    Harsh words, probably all deserved but my only question is how in sweet f*cking god has the Richie McCormack tosser not made your hitlist?

Richie's sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

gluppers wrote: »
    Richie's sound

nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

Maybe they could do Paul Kimmage. Frothing at the mouth over everything/anything and cutting through all the bull**** with his shiny sword of truth. A 'writer' and a fighter!
    What a goy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Maybe they could do Paul Kimmage. Frothing at the mouth over everything/anything and cutting through all the bull**** with his shiny sword of truth. A 'writer' and a fighter!
    What a goy!

Bit of a tool, in my opinion

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Just getting to The Papers today, always like listening to Dermot Gileece- forthright and with a wealth of knowledge and experience all tempered in an easy manner. He's a good counter balance to Kimmage.

I listened this week too. Not a huge golf fan so I skipped the first half hour. €10 for anyone who can guess what Kimmage was talking about.

Watching the show last night on the youtube channel, I was very surprised by Richie's demeanour. Sitting there in the corner, looking disinterested and bored, hands up to his face, wearing the ****tiest t-shirt he could find, interjecting with comments only when he saw an opportunity to slag off Joe Molloy with his "funny" comments. Seems like he's just going through the motions and doesn't have any real interest in the show.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement