Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭gluppers

Watching the show last night on the youtube channel, I was very surprised by Richie's demeanour. Sitting there in the corner, looking disinterested and bored, hands up to his face, wearing the ****tiest t-shirt he could find, interjecting with comments only when he saw an opportunity to slag off Joe Molloy with his "funny" comments. Seems like he's just going through the motions and doesn't have any real interest in the show.

A bit too cool for school you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Having heard music where the football show should be for the last two nights, I'm assuming OTB is on its slimmed-down summer schedule...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Having heard music where the football show should be for the last two nights, I'm assuming OTB is on its slimmed-down summer schedule...

Yeah. The week of two world cup semi finals and a final...they cut the football show.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Yeah. The week of two world cup semi finals and a final...they cut the football show.

Makes sense lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Watching the show last night on the youtube channel, I was very surprised by Richie's demeanour. Sitting there in the corner, looking disinterested and bored, hands up to his face, wearing the ****tiest t-shirt he could find, interjecting with comments only when he saw an opportunity to slag off Joe Molloy with his "funny" comments. Seems like he's just going through the motions and doesn't have any real interest in the show.

Isn't he more interested in music than sport? When he still was on Twitter he certainly used to tweet about music much more than sport anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Anyone giving out about Giles being past his sell by date (at I would have somewhat agreed based on his Thursday night football pieces on OTB) should take a listen to him on Dunphy's The Stand podcast. Absolute revelation - fully lucid, fully up to date with what's going on at the WC and no slipping into stories about the old days at Leeds.

Having listened to their semi finals preview pod last night, you would have to look at whatever it is in the Joe/Nathan/ Richie interview style for the problem. Or maybe it is him and he just cant relate to the younger journalists.

Anyway if you are a fan and want to hear him on top form, check out that podcast. Correctly tipped France too btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yeah he hasn't lost a beat.

If he has the right handler/interviewer he is still a very engaging and insightful football man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Giles is let down by his belief that the only way to play football is to have a central midfielder who takes the ball off the back 4 and everything has to come from there. He views all teams, games & players through this prism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Giles is let down by his belief that the only way to play football is to have a central midfielder who takes the ball off the back 4 and everything has to come from there. He views all teams, games & players through this prism.

I am tired of hearing 'I don't beleive in tactics...you just take every game on it's mertis'

Also Giles does not do any research about world football he knows nothing of footballers beyond the Premier League and Champions League.
    There were times he reveled in his lack of knowledge at world cups and laughed along with Dunphy.

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Anyone giving out about Giles being past his sell by date (at I would have somewhat agreed based on his Thursday night football pieces on OTB) should take a listen to him on Dunphy's The Stand podcast. Absolute revelation - fully lucid, fully up to date with what's going on at the WC and no slipping into stories about the old days at Leeds.

Having listened to their semi finals preview pod last night, you would have to look at whatever it is in the Joe/Nathan/ Richie interview style for the problem. Or maybe it is him and he just cant relate to the younger journalists.

Anyway if you are a fan and want to hear him on top form, check out that podcast. Correctly tipped France too btw.

As for picking France, he did NOT!
    In an Evening Herald Piece I read before the world cup (14th June kept it with the wall cup chart).
    Giles picked Brazil!

Giles: "My head tells me this could be this could be a year of Redemption for Brazilian football"
    With 'John Giles verdict Brazil' plastered on the page for emphasis! :confused:
    He actually switched from Spain after thier manager was sacked.

Let's face it Giles is now like the kindly auld uncle at a wedding smiling, but ultimately out of place.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

I am tired of hearing 'I don't beleive in tactics...you just take every game on it's mertis'

Also Giles does not do any research about world football he knows nothing of footballers beyond the Premier League and Champions League.
    There were times he reveled in his lack of knowledge at world cups and laughed along with Dunphy.

As for picking France, he did NOT!
    In an Evening Herald Piece I read before the world cup (14th June kept it with the wall cup chart).
    Giles picked Brazil!

Giles: "My head tells me this could be this could be a year of Redemption for Brazilian football"
    With 'John Giles verdict Brazil' plastered on the page for emphasis! :confused:
    He actually switched from Spain after thier manager was sacked.

Let's face it Giles is now like the kindly auld uncle at a wedding smiling, but ultimately out of place.

Picked France for the semi v Belgium obviously, it being a semi final preview pod.

Anyway I would probably not have disagreed with much of what you say if I was basing it on OTB Thursdays or the Herald. What was remarkable about him on Dunphy's pod was that he was totally different, like he had rediscovered his confidence. Was genuinely delighted to hear the legendary old pro back on form.

• Advertisement

Picked France for the semi v Belgium obviously, it being a semi final preview pod.

Anyway I would probably not have disagreed with much of what you say if I was basing it on OTB Thursdays or the Herald. What was remarkable about him on Dunphy's pod was that he was totally different, like he had rediscovered his confidence. Was genuinely delighted to hear the legendary old pro back on form.

Right I will give it a chance to see if it changes my view as well.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

In episode 192 (quarter finals chat) Giles called it for England against Sweden (who wouldn't), he reckoned Brazil would blast Belgium with both barrels, sided with Russia over Croatia and said France might just squeak a win over Uruguay.

In The Stand World Cup podcasts he's wedged in a few Don Revie and Leeds comparisons.

That's not to say I don't enjoy listening to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

Yeah likewise I would say overall its enjoyable enough listening to him on The Stand, but he still has his senior moments. Killian MBappe is M Babby to Giles! Dunphy even tried to explain it to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Incredible prediction from Gilesey there, so. He's back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

I also find it completely ridiculous that they cut the hour shorter, cutting off the football show, on the week of the world cup semi finals and final. The most important week in world football for four years !! But don't worry, that extra hour will be back in time for the charity shield in September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

they're still talking about football and the WC though, so it makes f-ck all difference really.

I thought some posters in here would be pleased, given all they do is give out about OTB and their content these days.

an hour less each day for yis to be offended about Joe's social justice commentary, eh? ye'll have to find some other lefty, liberal outlet to get annoyed and rant about :rolleyes:
    use the hour off to get your blood pressure down maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It’s gone full politics and current affairs tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

The interview with Roy Jones Jnr. was hilarious at the end. Joe laboured a point about cock fighting.
    Roy pretty much told him to get his priorities right and hung up.
    Apart from that it was a poor interview anyway. Joe out of his depth on boxing. Should get Andy Lee to do these interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

The interview with Roy Jones Jnr. was hilarious at the end. Joe laboured a point about cock fighting.

that was mad radio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,451 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Joe Molloy.

Rooster Justice Warrior.

What an interview that just was.

BPKS wrote: »
    Joe Molloy.

Rooster Justice Warrior.

What an interview that just was.

I have honestly stopped listening for a good while now.
    It is noticeable there has been no updates of note on this thread for a while.

I don't know is that because the majority are happy with it and have nothing to say?

OR

People who are fed up with the show do not complain about it any more because they have given up on it?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Listen to that interview if you missed it, freaking hilarious ending. ‘Y’all care more about the chickens than you do your damn dog’

Up there with the Lance interview for lol’s

Roll on the podcast.

pc7 wrote: »
    Listen to that interview if you missed it, freaking hilarious ending. ‘Y’all care more about the chickens than you do your damn dog’

Up there with the Lance interview for lol’s

Roll on the podcast.

That was brilliant.

Chickens and gang rapes....

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,075 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I have honestly stopped listening for a good while now.
    It is noticeable there has been no updates of note on this thread for a while.

I don't know is that because the majority are happy with it and have nothing to say?

OR

People who are fed up with the show do not complain about it any more because they have given up on it?

From JNLR figures earlier this month. It was posted on Newstalks site mind.
    Off The Ball - Reach 57,000, an all-time high (Up 3,000 book-on-book, up 6,000 year-on-year)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

57k? Really? That all? I thought they'd be bear 150k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Apart from that it was a poor interview anyway. Joe out of his depth on boxing. Should get Andy Lee to do these interviews.

I rarely listen to the show (I can't stand the smugness in Joe's voice) and tonight reminded me why I don't like it. He was totally out of his depth interviewing Roy Jones. He didn't give him much respect, or engage much, just rattled through the questions, like a smug college student on work placement. He over-stepped the mark a couple of times with his probing of Roy's relationship with his father, and laboured the cock-fighting issue at the end. Clearly Roy doesn't view cock-fighting as cruel, so why was Joe trying to force the issue with him? Move on, ffs, you're not some investigative, hard-hitting reporter. Big farming industry murders billions of male chicks every year that they cannot make a profit on; go look into that Joe, when you are feeling sanctimonious, rather than trying to get some dirt on an accomplished boxer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I rarely listen to the show (I can't stand the smugness in Joe's voice) and tonight reminded me why I don't like it. He was totally out of his depth interviewing Roy Jones. He didn't give him much respect, or engage much, just rattled through the questions, like a smug college student on work placement. He over-stepped the mark a couple of times with his probing of Roy's relationship with his father, and laboured the cock-fighting issue at the end. Clearly Roy doesn't view cock-fighting as cruel, so why was Joe trying to force the issue with him? Move on, ffs, you're not some investigative, hard-hitting reporter. Big farming industry murders billions of male chicks every year that they cannot make a profit on; go look into that Joe, when you are feeling sanctimonious, rather than trying to get some dirt on an accomplished boxer.

this x 1000000.

it was a pathetic interview on Joe's behalf. Roy Jones has moved on from his father and couldn't care less about any relationship that was ever there. the cock fighting, jaysis, the man enjoyed it and some smarmy fecker he's never met isn't going to change his mind on it.

i'm down to listening on tuesdays and thursdays now, mainly because i work late and listen to it in the car for about 45 mins on the way home. a few years ago i'd have sat in the kitchen listening to the whole show while cooking etc. it's just so poor now.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

I’ve turned the dial (away from OTB).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    I’ve turned the dial (away from OTB).

Have you? Why didn't you say so before?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Mod Note

No sniping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Once I heard that Joe would be interviewing Roy Jones Jr I knew there would be major potential for conflict between Joe's PC worthiness and Jones Jr himself.

Just didn't think it would be over some chickens!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

haven't heard the show in a while, i was a very regular listener up until about a year ago. it just got boring for me, whether that was down to the politicisation of the whole thing or what i don't know but i think it was just down to it getting tiresome...you'd turn on and there'd be extended horse racing segment or irrelevant rugby live roadshow with sickening adulation for o driscoll when he wasn't cracking sh*t jokes. it was just muck.

i did turn on last night in the car towards the interview, i hadn't a f*ckin clue what was happening. it was like a gift grub segment, two caricatures going head to head over some non issue. yer man was right to hang up. he's an absolute twat, wonder if hes ever had a chicken burger.

Joe is normally a very good interviewer. He said himself last night didn't go well.

I think OTB could have easily just not published the interview, but they did, knowing it was a disaster. Fair play for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Joe is normally a very good interviewer. He said himself last night didn't go well.

I think OTB could have easily just not published the interview, but they did, knowing it was a disaster. Fair play for that.

I disagree.

I disagree.

I'd never have guessed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,451 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Who in Gods name is the woman on the show tonight?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Cliona Foley. She's often on the Paper Review on Sundays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

he is very good at talking during interviews, not listening. no understanding of how to steer an interview to get the most out of the interviewee as he so fixated on his own agenda...or he hasn't the talent to deviate from the script of set questions his production team have prepared in front of him. I'd say it's both and he seems like a fair aul bully so i'd imagine production meetings go his way no matter what. then he gets put back in his box in situations like this. he's very limited at what he does. off the ball is the best he can hope for, TV3 is like the red top of tv stations.

Nathan seems to be taking the p1ss out of the ufc guy in there at the moment.
    Made a few jibes at him.

In fairness the fighting a bear at age 7 story sounds ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Surely a piss take! I was picturing DiCaprio in The Revenant when your man was describing that!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

this is the clip of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

CatFromHue wrote: »

He's only fighting a cub, what a ****ing wimp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Football Show back tonight. Featuring lengthy chats with Dan McDonnell and Pat Nevin so hardly breaking revolutionary new ground...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Football Show back tonight. Featuring lengthy chats with Dan McDonnell and Pat Nevin so hardly breaking revolutionary new ground...

They don't need to with Pat and Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

I'm a big fan of both Dan and Pat.

Off to download the podcast.

It’s quite depressing how much time the Boyle sports shyster got tonight to reel off the odds for various scenarios. Same with the intro we are told the Boyle sports app is faster then ever

If they ever complain against betting again they are complete hypocrites.

I switched it on there yesterday late evening in the car.
    Thought I would get some premier league insight.
    The 'expert' they had on was John Giles.
    Nathan interviewed him how he managed not to laugh I don't know.
    Giles was asked about his predictions for Liverpool.
    He said they should do well new signings.
    Giles tried to through them

Giles: The goalkeeper....Alisson is that his name?

Nathan: Yes John.

Giles: Well he must be good because he gets the place for Brazil,l ahead of that Manchester United player...
    Euh eehhhhh...not them.

Nathan: Manchester City

Giles: Ed.... Ederson is that his name?

Nathan: Yes John.

Giles: They spent big money and signed other players Ku... Kuuuh... Kuity?

Nathan: Kieta

Giles: Fabiansko, Shakira....

Nathan: Fabiano, Shakira, yeah. (Nathan had given up at this point, it seemed)

Do you think that the signings of the likes of Shakira....

(corrects himself)

Shaqiri will help Liverpool?

Giles: Well..... I don't know thier names as you can see, but they spent money on them.

I got out of the car by this stage wondering if Giles is doing this on purpose (it was so bad it was funny) an expert analysist who does no research.
    He seems to be unsure or not know the most simple names.
    God help any poor girl that is called Alison.... :D

At this stage he reminds me of an old uncle who used to get all the names wrong as well.
    He still had a go a them though.
    The best one was Schmeichel who was referred to as Schumacher for some reason.
    You would find yourself saying Schumacher to keep the conversation flowing, much like Nathan did with Giles.

I could not understand for a while how he confused Michael Schumacher (a racing driver) with Schmeichel.

Then I saw a world cup documentary:

Oh Harold Schumacher the German goalkeeper.....

Makes sense...

Same old thing the whole time from Gilesy. That’s part of the charm I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Funny thing is when Giles is on Dunphy's podcast he's so much better and seems to know most of the players names.

• Advertisement

Funny thing is when Giles is on Dunphy's podcast he's so much better and seems to know most of the players names.

Dunphy writes them down phonectically for him?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement