Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

I switched it on there yesterday late evening in the car.
    Thought I would get some premier league insight.
    The 'expert' they had on was John Giles.
    Nathan interviewed him how he managed not to laugh I don't know.
    Giles was asked about his predictions for Liverpool.
    He said they should do well new signings.
    Giles tried to through them

Giles: The goalkeeper....Alisson is that his name?

Nathan: Yes John.

Giles: Well he must be good because he gets the place for Brazil,l ahead of that Manchester United player...
    Euh eehhhhh...not them.

Nathan: Manchester City

Giles: Ed.... Ederson is that his name?

Nathan: Yes John.

Giles: They spent big money and signed other players Ku... Kuuuh... Kuity?

Nathan: Kieta

Giles: Fabiansko, Shakira....

Nathan: Fabiano, Shakira, yeah. (Nathan had given up at this point, it seemed)

Do you think that the signings of the likes of Shakira....

(corrects himself)

Shaqiri will help Liverpool?

Giles: Well..... I don't know thier names as you can see, but they spent money on them.

I got out of the car by this stage wondering if Giles is doing this on purpose (it was so bad it was funny) an expert analysist who does no research.
    He seems to be unsure or not know the most simple names.
    God help any poor girl that is called Alison.... :D

At this stage he reminds me of an old uncle who used to get all the names wrong as well.
    He still had a go a them though.
    The best one was Schmeichel who was referred to as Schumacher for some reason.
    You would find yourself saying Schumacher to keep the conversation flowing, much like Nathan did with Giles.

I could not understand for a while how he confused Michael Schumacher (a racing driver) with Schmeichel.

Then I saw a world cup documentary:

Oh Harold Schumacher the German goalkeeper.....

Makes sense...

It wasn't Nathan though, it was that dose Adrian Barry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

EAFC_rdfl wrote: »
    It wasn't Nathan though, it was that dose Adrian Barry

Oh right they sound very alike!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

..... and did he mention when he was at Leeds?

Cos John playing in the early 70s is very relevant to this seasons EPL campaign.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Giles did a few podcasts with Dunphy, just the two of them during the World Cup and there was no mention of the old days then because Dunphy didn't bring it up, like I said before it's usually the presenter that brings him down that road, now if it was the case the presenter made some reference to Southampton and Giles replied 'Did I ever tell you about the time we beat them 7-0?' it would be understandable that people would find that annoying, when the presenter says 'Anything like that happen in your day John?' is he supposed to reply 'NOOOOOOOO, I don't want to talk about it!!!!'

The well of stories has run dry at this point, but I've really enjoyed listening to him over the last few years, someone who can remember vividly stuff that happened 50 years ago, and does a great job of painting a picture of what it was like, I think we've been really lucky to have had the chance to hear all these tales over the last decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Giles often goes off on the Leeds 70 tangent on his own.
    I have heard it myself many times.

For example, when talking before the WC about Pogba and is arguments with Jose, the presenter asked him about a player having the balls to argue openly with his manager.

Cue Giles and his "that wouldn't have happened with Don Revie"...

He doesn't need much prompting to delve into the distant past, believe me. I rarely listen to him any more on that show, cos there wasn't one single interview he did when he didn't mention the 1970s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Boylesports must be pumping some serious money into the show. Saw there was a PL review show on the podcast, and it's going to be on every Friday apparently. Was looking forward to hearing it but it was all focussed on bets and odds with that annoying f*** from Boylesports on the show, who just reads off fact after stat.

As someone who has no interest in betting it's a shame they're going down this route. I might even be persuaded to start listening to Giles' Thursday show now, at least there is no mention of odds or bets there.

Hypocrites.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Boylesports must be pumping some serious money into the show. Saw there was a PL review show on the podcast, and it's going to be on every Friday apparently. Was looking forward to hearing it but it was all focussed on bets and odds with that annoying f*** from Boylesports on the show, who just reads off fact after stat.

As someone who has no interest in betting it's a shame they're going down this route. I might even be persuaded to start listening to Giles' Thursday show now, at least there is no mention of odds or bets there.

Hypocrites.

As far as betting shops go none of them are exactly pleasant but Boyle sports, and I mean every single one of them are the most miserable depressing shįte holes you could step into. Bleak doesn’t even come close to describing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

sightband wrote: »
    As far as betting shops go none of them are exactly pleasant but Boyle sports, and I mean every single one of them are the most miserable depressing shįte holes you could step into. Bleak doesn’t even come close to describing them.

You are joking.

Comfortable chairs, free tea/coffee & biscuits, toilets, huge screens, Wifi.

Themselves & PP changed what a high street bookies looks like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Joe apparently never heard of Ethan Ampadu...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Joe apparently never heard of Ethan Ampadu...

Neither did Kilbane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Really enjoyed Joe's interview with Cyril Farrell last night. Pretty phenomenal coaching experience of Farrell to be working in Dublin, travelling to Galway twice during the working week to training the Galway senior team. As a 30 year old. And to win the All Ireland that year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Really enjoyed Joe's interview with Cyril Farrell last night. Pretty phenomenal coaching experience of Farrell to be working in Dublin, travelling to Galway twice during the working week to training the Galway senior team. As a 30 year old. And to win the All Ireland that year.

Each to his own. I thought it was poor and a very typical OTB effort.

Don’t know if Joe is aware that religion used to be quite popular in Ireland, but he seemed genuinely amazed that the Galway hurlers used to attend mass together before matches in the late 70s early 80s, and asked about 10 searching questions on this key issue – would the players be allowed to pray for Galway victories, would the time in the Church have been useful as contemplative time even for the “non-believers”….......

He then annoyed me even more with his questions about what Farrell had done differently in 1980, what new tactics he had devised. There had to be some rational explanation for the team’s success, some silver bullet – and Joe wanted to winkle this out of him, get some new insight out of him when lesser journalists over the past 30 years couldn’t. Then he was miffed when like 98% of all GAA managers do, CF deflected his questions. So predictable.

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Each to his own. I thought it was poor and a very typical OTB effort.

Don’t know if Joe is aware that religion used to be quite popular in Ireland, but he seemed genuinely amazed that the Galway hurlers used to attend mass together before matches in the late 70s early 80s, and asked about 10 searching questions on this key issue – would the players be allowed to pray for Galway victories, would the time in the Church have been useful as contemplative time even for the “non-believers”….......

He then annoyed me even more with his questions about what Farrell had done differently in 1980, what new tactics he had devised. There had to be some rational explanation for the team’s success, some silver bullet – and Joe wanted to winkle this out of him, get some new insight out of him when lesser journalists over the past 30 years couldn’t. Then he was miffed when like 98% of all GAA managers do, CF deflected his questions. So predictable.

To each their own alright. Have no idea how you took some of those views from last nights piece. Asking someone to speak a bit more about something does not equate to being "genuinely amazed".

Joe Molloy sees himself as a politically correct, socially aware young hipster and people from Cyril Farrell’s generation as pathetic dinosaurs, with their simple minded religious beliefs and inability to review and evaluate modern so called “tactics” in GAA. He was just short of asking CF did he believe in angels. That’s not asking someone to speak a bit more about something, its smarmy and condescending.

Joe Molloy sees himself as a politically correct, socially aware young hipster and people from Cyril Farrell’s generation as pathetic dinosaurs, with their simple minded religious beliefs and inability to review and evaluate modern so called “tactics” in GAA. He was just short of asking CF did he believe in angels. That’s not asking someone to speak a bit more about something, its smarmy and condescending.

Honestly, now you're just projecting.

Honestly, now you're just projecting.

Thought I was about to project something while listening to Joe last night all right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

Does anyone else find Daithí Regan annoying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I don't really have a problem with their political leanings as such, but their main problem is they're are a boring bunch of soundalikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

He's a blowhard, same as David Brady. Very high opinions of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

He's a blowhard, same as David Brady. Very high opinions of themselves.

David Brady is gas in that he makes a lot of noise and says little of importance.
    Just loud for the sake of it.
    I still laugh as around this time last year he made the prediction on radio that Tyrone were going to beat Dublin in the AI football semi.
    Saying that he really believed it!
    He then said Tyrone could get at the younger players like Con O'Callaghan who might find the pressure too much.

Con scored a goal within 3 minutes and finished with 1-2, Dublin won by 12 points.... :D

Then afterward he was saying it is important to have a 'bit of craic with these things'.

To me Brady is just a pantomime figure there for the craic and the noise.
    Roadshows are about his level.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

David Brady is gas in that he makes a lot of noise and says little of importance.
    Just loud for the sake of it.
    I still laugh as around this time last year he made the prediction on radio that Tyrone were going to beat Dublin in the AI football semi.
    Saying that he really believed it!
    He then said Tyrone could get at the younger players like Con O'Callaghan who might find the pressure too much.

Con scored a goal within 3 minutes and finished with 1-2, Dublin won by 12 points.... :D

Then afterward he was saying it is important to have a 'bit of craic with these things'.

To me Brady is just a pantomime figure there for the craic and the noise.
    Roadshows are about his level.

That's hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Is he the guy who boasted about “opening” Ollie Baker to tell us how tough he was. If so, yes he’s annoying.

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Is he the guy who boasted about “opening” Ollie Baker to tell us how tough he was. If so, yes he’s annoying.

I don't get it. People give out about the presenters and describe them as all being of the same voice. A contributor tells a story from his personal experience in the heat of championship match and he ends up being branded as annoying.

Would people prefer more of "at the end of the day", "it's all about the result", "we knew we'd have a tough game but thankfully we won by 23 points" that we seem to get more and more of these days.

I don't get it. People give out about the presenters and describe them as all being of the same voice. A contributor tells a story from his personal experience in the heat of championship match and he ends up being branded as annoying.

Would people prefer more of "at the end of the day", "it's all about the result", "we knew we'd have a tough game but thankfully we won by 23 points" that we seem to get more and more of these days.

You must either work for them, or you are the one man focus group they've based their entire strategy on.

Everybody wants more interesting content. Compared to Second Captains and now even Game On, OTB aren't delivering on that front. They are too busy pushing their own sanctimonious agendas - that's their unique selling point or business plan or whatever you want to call it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

pretty sure they are delivering on that front actually, considering their listener numbers keep going up, and the show is probably at its strongest ever now, especially with the new morning/afternoon shows being done....

pretty sure they are delivering on that front actually, considering their listener numbers keep going up, and the show is probably at its strongest ever now, especially with the new morning/afternoon shows being done....

What I said was they weren't delivering compared to SC etc.

And I wouldn't agree that JNLR figures say anything about how interesting their interviews are, there are multiple factors behind listenership numbers. More likely they are just hoovering up their millennial target audience. That audience may well be growing and someday the snowflakes may actually take charge of everything and if that day comes OTB will be deified.

Everybody wants more interesting content. Compared to Second Captains and now even Game On, OTB aren't delivering on that front. They are too busy pushing their own sanctimonious agendas - that's their unique selling point or business plan or whatever you want to call it.

Can't see how SC are delivering more than OTB on the interesting content front. Both outlets produce a lot of standard but topical pieces but also occasional outstanding pieces. SC do what? 3 hours a week? OTB are in the region of 30.

This week OTB have had very interesting pieces on Galway and Limerick ahead of the All Ireland (Richie Benis, Cyril Farrell etc). They've also produced a very impressive 30 minute anniversary special on the Omagh bomb. OTB, with Andy Lee, consistently do boxing way ahead of SC.

As for sanctimonious agendas, have you not heard Ken Early talk about the shenanigans Russia went on with in ensuring the world cup was trouble free or what exactly Qatar are up to behind the facade of hosting the worldcup.

I enjoy SC but I laugh when I see people accuse OTB of being righteous and suggest SC do no such thing.

P.S.(As I'm talking about them, recent SC podcast with Gary Neville was excellent).
    No. I don't work for OTB or Newstalk. I often think some here must work for competitors of theirs ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Sunday Paper Review 9 July 2018 around the time of the Irish Open.

Dermot Gilleece : DG
    Joe Molloy : JM
    Paul Kimmage : PK

PK urges DG to tell a tale to the listeners about Paul McCuinny.

DG : Paul McCuinny was the golf correspondent of the Irish Times in 50s 60s & early 70s. But Paul, he was a charming man, West British in his mean and had a cultivated stammerm, I think. I remember talking about Des Smyth. I think Des had won the West of Ireland Championship in 1971, I said to Paul, not bad for a butcher's son from Mornington! And McCuinny said, "I'll I'll, have you know that his his father is is is a master victualler."

DG : Paul thinks that's pretty funny.
    PK : I do
    DG:There is a difference between a master victualler and a butcher. Anyway, depends on your view I suppose.

Awkward silence.

JM : We are pretty much out of time.

PK : Have you no sense of humour Molloy. You don't think that's funny?

JM : It was It was, very good(sarcastically)

Either he is just thick and doesn't know what a victualler is or he is just a thundering dry ****e.

Sunday Paper Review 9 July 2018 around the time of the Irish Open.

Dermot Gilleece : DG
    Joe Molloy : JM
    Paul Kimmage : PK

PK urges DG to tell a tale to the listeners about Paul McCuinny.

DG : Paul McCuinny was the golf correspondent of the Irish Times in 50s 60s & early 70s. But Paul, he was a charming man, West British in his mean and had a cultivated stammerm, I think. I remember talking about Des Smyth. I think Des had won the West of Ireland Championship in 1971, I said to Paul, not bad for a butcher's son from Mornington! And McCuinny said, "I'll I'll, have you know that his his father is is is a master victualler."

DG : Paul thinks that's pretty funny.
    PK : I do
    DG:There is a difference between a master victualler and a butcher. Anyway, depends on your view I suppose.

Awkward silence.

JM : We are pretty much out of time.

PK : Have you no sense of humour Molloy. You don't think that's funny?

JM : It was It was, very good(sarcastically)

Either he is just thick and doesn't know what a victualler is or he is just a thundering dry ****e.

I heard that segment actually. I certainly didn’t know what a victualler was and I still don’t. It was a typically ****e old man joke.

• Advertisement

I've no idea what a victualler is either

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

butcher.

so just a really unfunny "joke"....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Another Boyle sports infomercial just now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Who was the lad presenting 'The Panel on Off the Ball's show where they did a hurling preview? Was listening to the podcast earlier and he's an awful man to draw out a simple question into about ten sentences.

Didn't listen to it but Shane Stapleton is their man hurling guy so I assume it was him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Dave McIntyre?

funny listening to this thing on the Mayo ladies.
    a Carnacon player lost her place on the county first 15, Staunton and the Carnacon club staged a mutiny and tried to heap pressure on the county management to reinstate her, who stood their ground, leading to some vague "player welfare issues" reasons for players walking out, and now being sanctioned.

of course, because Staunton is a contributor to OTB, we know which side Joe will be taking on this issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

funny listening to this thing on the Mayo ladies.
    a Carnacon player lost her place on the county first 15, Staunton and the Carnacon club staged a mutiny and tried to heap pressure on the county management to reinstate her, who stood their ground, leading to some vague "player welfare issues" reasons for players walking out, and now being sanctioned.

of course, because Staunton is a contributor to OTB, we know which side Joe will be taking on this issue.

Staunton is a contributor to OTB? Not sure where you’re getting that from. Think you’re confused.

But anyway you think Mayo GAA were right to exclude a club team from a county championship because 8 members of 12 who walked off a county team play for that club? That’s all fair and within the rules you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭readysetgo

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Staunton is a contributor to OTB? Not sure where you’re getting that from. Think you’re confused.

But anyway you think Mayo GAA were right to exclude a club team from a county championship because 8 members of 12 who walked off a county team play for that club? That’s all fair and within the rules you think?

Staunton is on the panel next week in Croke Park for an otb pre all ireland special so dont think they’ll be dissing her for this or mentioning the past fallouts with Mayo.
    I also think youll find the reason Carnacon were singled out was because they contacted the county manager and informed him that the club is pulling all the players. the other 4 left individually, that is the difference.

readysetgo wrote: »

Staunton is on the panel next week in Croke Park for an otb pre all ireland special so dont think they’ll be dissing her for this or mentioning the past fallouts with Mayo.
    I also think youll find the reason Carnacon were singled out was because they contacted the county manager and informed him that the club is pulling all the players. the other 4 left individually, that is the difference.

Ok fair points on the second point, don’t think Staunton is a contributor, more a guest of one show but fair enough. I still don’t think its a fair call to eject a team from a club championship for walking away from the county setup. Seems like the GAA or LGFA just love negative publicity and being on the wrong side of an argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Ok fair points on the second point, don’t think Staunton is a contributor, more a guest of one show but fair enough. I still don’t think its a fair call to eject a team from a club championship for walking away from the county setup. Seems like the GAA or LGFA just love negative publicity and being on the wrong side of an argument.

Seems the issue Was The club withdrew the players and that is why the club is suffering the punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

They also seem to have attempted to drag managements name through the mud in a bid to cover up what was really happening. Player welfare is a dodgy one to be throwing about these days.
    I'd ban every player involved in that for life.

Seems the issue Was The club withdrew the players and that is why the club is suffering the punishment.

Haven’t heard that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

OTB definitely have a different tone towards people they want to keep sweet. One-off guests can get absolutely grilled, but individuals they might want back in the future is given a very soft ride. I'd be interested

yes, the club rowed in behind Staunton and helped co-ordinate the boycott (all because it was a personal friend of Staunton's and the club want to keep her sweet), so fukc them.

Reading up on the Mayo GAA thread, a poster said that the Mayo management team wanted to use Staunton as a impact sub and she and her club weren't happy with that, which is what kicked off the chain of events.

Some delegates from the different clubs who voted to kick Carnacon out of the competition failed to get in touch with their clubs before voting which is a bit dodgy

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/time-beat-carnacon-boardroom-not-football-pitch-173928

The whole thing is a mess really

If it's true that Carnacon withdrew players because of Staunton not being guaranteed a starting place, then they deserve to be thrown out

Surprised nobody had mentioned that OTB are sure to back any cause that serves their biased social agenda. In this case, a women’s club is in peril and is being discriminated against by the dastardly county board. It’s a story in a box for them and all they have to do is add the sound of tut-tutting. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Surprised nobody had mentioned that OTB are sure to back any cause that serves their biased social agenda. In this case, a women’s club is in peril and is being discriminated against by the dastardly county board.

I'm way ahead of you Jay. I listened to Joe's coverage of that the story and without even hearing the full story he was already on the side of the Cornacon players. In Joe's mind, woman playing sport + "issue of player welfare" + mostly b*stard men voting against Cornacon = An obvious case of oppression against women. If he had been covering the men's game he would have not been anywhere near as quick to take sides, he probably would have given management the benefit of the doubt more-so.

The OTB coverage of women's sport is pretty pathetic tbh. Every item has the same underlying theme of women's sport somehow being oppressed and undervalued, how much less funding the female sport gets than the men's equivalent sport, and how people should get out in support of the particular sport. They should treat women's sports the same way as they treat the men's sports. Well, except for the way they treat the men's League Of Ireland - nobody deserves to be treated like that. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The sad reality is that not many people really care.

Who here honestly attends womens sporting events?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Think it's a bit pathetic that people don't understand the fundamental issue surrounding the story of player welfare.

A number of players express a concern with the Mayo county board, they laugh them out of the building, the players quit the county panel because of it, and the county board punish a club.

It's absolute horse**** the way a county board can treat their players like that and punish a load more players because they didn't like 12 players from the county team talking back to them.

It's bully-boy tactics to make the players back down, when the welfare of the players should treated seriously and not with contempt.

The fact people want to have a pop at OTB for simply highlighting this says a lot. They don't even care about the story, just how OTB is covering it which is quite pathetic imo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement