Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

It's getting really childish at this stage. - I wonder is it an argument over a boy.

There's no fear of that.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Cora Staunton on OTB AM after 8AM this morning to "break the Carnacon silence and respond to the Mayo Ladies statement yesterday afternoon". OTB have aligned themselves faaaaaar to close to one side of the argument.

It's getting really childish at this stage. - I wonder is it an argument over a boy.

Remember listening to OTB when the ban was first imposed. It was really poor one sided uninformed stuff. No asking of questions no looking at both sides

I think he had the Mayo ladies crowned AI winners at one stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

It's on NOW people on the OTB AM youtube channel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This is absolutely ridiculous.

Edit - Jaysus, he asked! Joe will be straight on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,212 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I WISH I KNEW WHAT THE F*** ALL THIS WAS ABOUT

When she's throwing around stuff like 'not safe' and 'not healthy' it's dangerous to be hiding behind her not wanting to say.

Are these 12 girls just 12 clones of that girl from CBB who is getting abuse for making false claims?

Have they been caught out now, when their former team mates are saying there is no issue?

The more I hear it it seems like its

"I dont like this training we are doing this all wrong" Cora (AN Other)

Manager calls her out at the next meeting and says she is dropped and he wont take that shi*te

She might be supported by others so a load get dropped

Some players feel dropping a player such as Cora/others and take their ball and go home

Patww79 wrote: »
    When she's throwing around stuff like 'not safe' and 'not healthy' it's dangerous to be hiding behind her not wanting to say.

The more they keep doing that (and with such strong denials on the other side) the smaller and smaller the issue becomes in my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭passremarkable

How this interview pan out this morning?
    Was Cora & co found out?
    Welfare issues me ar** d say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

naughtb4 wrote: »
    The more I hear it it seems like its

"I dont like this training we are doing this all wrong" Cora (AN Other)

Manager calls her out at the next meeting and says she is dropped and he wont take that shi*te

She might be supported by others so a load get dropped

Some players feel dropping a player such as Cora/others and take their ball and go home
    close enough to my understanding of the situation.

a Carnacon player was to be dropped from the first-team. personal friend of Staunton's. Staunton supposedly kicked up a fuss, got the rest of the Carnacon players together, and as they and the club will do everything to appease her, allegedly tried to stage a revolt against the county management.

Management held firm, the players/Carnacon apparently co-ordinated a withdrawl from the county set-up.
    County board knew exactly what they were up to, despite subsequent bollokcs about "player welfare", hence the initial decision against Carnacon, and now the decision to appeal the Connaught Council decision.
    The rest of the county panel have subsequently come out and rightly denied any "player welfare" issue.
    I know that there were a few players from other clubs who withdrew too, and I don't know what exactly was the unofficial reasons behind those, but given that they weren't sanctioned, it points even more to an attempted coup which originated and was pushed by those within Carnacon.

OTB being onboard with Staunton and her group is troubling, although understandable, as Staunton is the only "star", and the rest of the panel, no offence, are basically nobodies. they want their access.
    OTB are essentially calling the rest of the team a bunch of liars by sticking with Staunton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

If I was involved in a management or county board level I would be particularly concerned about the use of such language.

The stance/approach of the OTB team is disappointing. I found the manner in which they dismissed the statement issued by the players yesterday incredible. There’s obviously two very different opinions as to what sort of environment the Mayo Ladies Football Squad is and OTB have decided to publicly back the players who walked when there’s clearly more to it.

Using phrases like 'not safe', 'player welfare','not healthy' brings to mind possibilities like inappropriate sexual advances etc.

In today's world, terminology used needs to be very carefully considered. It can be dangerous.

In the absence of anyone really knowing what went on behind the scenes in this case, many probably made up stories in their head of what MIGHT have happened.

I know I have!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Colm Parkinson isn't impressed with their reasoning so far
    Colm Parkinson

Verified account

@Woolberto
    Follow Follow @Woolberto
    More
    Those Caarnacon players need to cop on and admit why they left the panel. Absolutely unfair on manager to cite player welfare issues but not say what they are. What are they?
    Their own teammates are saying there were no player welfare issues

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Colm Parkinson isn't impressed with their reasoning so far

Don’t think anyone is, they seem to have made some very grave accusations without fully understanding what citing “player welfare” as a reason could suggest and do to a persons reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Dick Pickle

sightband wrote: »
    Don’t think anyone is, they seem to have made some very grave accusations without fully understanding what citing “player welfare” as a reason could suggest and do to a persons reputation.

The way their going on you’d swear some lad was peeping at their baps in the showers or something.

They seem to be trying their best to make it sound like something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Dick Pickle

They seem to be trying their best to make it sound like something like that.

Word on the Mayo bog is that Cora didn’t fancy sitting on the subs bench and led a clubmate rebellion that went a bit wrong

Word on the Mayo bog is that Cora didn’t fancy sitting on the subs bench and led a clubmate rebellion that went a bit wrong

If that's the case she dug a right big hole for herself this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Jeez that Joe Molloy really is one of Ireland's leading w*ankers

Blood is boiling after listening to the Mick McCarthy interview, annoyed with myself for the reaction actually.

"Mick, I put it clumsily before and i'll put it in a better way now, and I'm not just looking for cheap headlines, and i realise this would be in the headlines tomorrow, but would you go go back [to the Ireland job]?"

"You cant say something about not accusing players of faking injury and not elaborate, you're referring to Saipan, did you say it about him"

It was as if he thought he was conducting Mick's first interview since 2002.

Off for a lie down in a dark room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I heard it too. I can only imagine Mick was close to chining him. There was actually a few awkward silent pauses where I thought the radio signal had dropped!

Great to hear Kevin Kilbane interviewing Liverpool legends Ronnie Whelan, Mark Lawrenson and Leon Blance

Eh hang on . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Leon & Boylesport..scum of the earth

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Jeez that Joe Molloy really is one of Ireland's leading w*ankers

Blood is boiling after listening to the Mick McCarthy interview, annoyed with myself for the reaction actually.

"Mick, I put it clumsily before and i'll put it in a better way now, and I'm not just looking for cheap headlines, and i realise this would be in the headlines tomorrow, but would you go go back [to the Ireland job]?"

"You cant say something about not accusing players of faking injury and not elaborate, you're referring to Saipan, did you say it about him"

It was as if he thought he was conducting Mick's first interview since 2002.

Off for a lie down in a dark room.

Nah
    Joe's a top man. They have the video of the interview up on YouTube, maybe you should watch it.
    McCarthy was the one who brought up "faking an injury" and Joe had to follow up on that.
    What sort of a journalist would let that slide.
    It's obvious that Mick has thoughts on the irony of Keane calling out Jon Walters for faking an injury, with Jon being almost 35 years old.
    He also HAD to ask him about the Ireland job, as many supporters would feel that McCarthy would do a much better job than MON/Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Nah
    Joe's a top man. They have the video of the interview up on YouTube, maybe you should watch it.
    McCarthy was the one who brought up "faking an injury" and Joe had to follow up on that.
    It's obvious that Mick has thoughts on the irony of Keane calling out Jon Walters for faking an injury, with Jon being almost 35 years old.
    He also HAD to ask him about the Ireland job, as many supporters would feel that McCarthy would do a much better job than MON/Keane.

I agree with you about the tone of the interview. But, I can understand why it would seem much worse on radio.
    When you watch the you tube clip of it Mick is being Mick, he is enjoying the interview and well able to stand up for himself at the same time.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Mod Note

Know certain topics can rile things up but just try keep forum charter in mind
    thanks
    PC7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Gambling promotion is all over the show these days. I can't turn it on without hearing Leon bloody Blanche. Even released an international football betting podcast today. I like the odd occasional bet myself but I would be uncomfortable with the extent that a certain bookmaker has infected OTB at the moment. It's gone from being a sponsor in the background to gambling really being pushed front and centre almost incessantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

Gambling promotion is all over the show these days. I can't turn it on without hearing Leon bloody Blanche. Even released an international football betting podcast today. I like the odd occasional bet myself but I would be uncomfortable with the extent that a certain bookmaker has infected OTB at the moment. It's gone from being a sponsor in the background to gambling really being pushed front and centre almost incessantly.

They have completely sold their souls. Absolute hypocrites

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

deisedude wrote: »

While I cant stand it myself I doubt theres much the lads can do. Its a commercial station that needs all the money they can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

deisedude wrote: »

While I cant stand it myself I doubt theres much the lads can do. Its a commercial station that needs all the money they can get.
    Well then tow the company line and stop bad mouthing the hand that feeds them. I'm not overly against gambling because I think people should take responsibility for their actions rather than blame the betting companies but they make the radio station look stupid when they indirectly slag off one of it's sponsors. The guys are numbskulls, it's never been so plain to see.

• Advertisement

Nah

Joe is a jumped up little twerp with a massively inflated sense of his own importance. I don’t even think he is any kind of genuine sports fan.

On the surface he’s making out like Saipan is still relevant, when anyone with even a passing interest knows the steam went out of the story years ago when Roy and Mick had the managers’ handshake. Both of them have shown a sense of humour in countless interviews over the past 10 years. The remark about Jon Waters last night was in this vein.

Joe is either totally out of touch or else he has so little respect for his audience that he thinks all they can digest is a dumbed down cheap shot quote from Mick 16 years after the event. Pathetic.

As for the Ireland job question, Mick must have said 29 times that he would never allow his name to go forward for someone else’s job, AND ALSO shot down Joe’s narrative saying no one ever tried anything like that with him in his own career. The guy is in football since the early 80s. Did Joe really think he would be so easily manipulated as to say something to destabilise MON. Yes, I know he eventually phrased it as “if there were a vacancy would you be interested” -that was just a passive aggressive trick to set the agenda on when/how the vacancy will be happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,075 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Joe is a jumped up little twerp with a massively inflated sense of his own importance. I don’t even think he is any kind of genuine sports fan.

On the surface he’s making out like Saipan is still relevant, when anyone with even a passing interest knows the steam went out of the story years ago when Roy and Mick had the managers’ handshake. Both of them have shown a sense of humour in countless interviews over the past 10 years. The remark about Jon Waters last night was in this vein.

Joe is either totally out of touch or else he has so little respect for his audience that he thinks all they can digest is a dumbed down cheap shot quote from Mick 16 years after the event. Pathetic.

As for the Ireland job question, Mick must have said 29 times that he would never allow his name to go forward for someone else’s job, AND ALSO shot down Joe’s narrative saying no one ever tried anything like that with him in his own career. The guy is in football since the early 80s. Did Joe really think he would be so easily manipulated as to say something to destabilise MON. Yes, I know he eventually phrased it as “if there were a vacancy would you be interested” -that was just a passive aggressive trick to set the agenda on when/how the vacancy will be happening.

Get off the fence, what do you really think?:pac:

Seems like you think no one has a right to question anyone in an interview. What sort of questions did you want?

You don't think Joe is even any sort of a sports fan? Does he need to be? He is a sports broadcaster, being an obvious "fan" would completely change the tone of the show.

I think you are just looking to be outraged for the sake of it.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

People need to listen to the full interview again instead of the parts they want to hear.

Mick McCarthy brought up the faking injury thing. He never, ever really addressed it before and it was one of Keane's biggest gripes. If you've got one side who never really addressed an aspect of one of the biggest scandals of Irish sport, and journalist worth their salt tries to get them to elaborate.

Mick had a slip of the tongue and Joe tried to get more out of him on it. If he didn't he'd be called useless, incompetent, reading off a script, gave Mick an easy ride etc.

But no, people want to hear what they want and decide to call him a twerp, a w*nker and what have you because he dared to question something that slipped out of Mick McCarthy's mouth.

F*cking hell I'm glad some of you experts aren't presenters.

Faugheen wrote: »

But no, people want to hear what they want and decide to call him a twerp, a w*nker and what have you because he dared to question something that slipped out of Mick McCarthy's mouth.

I don't think it has anything to do with Mick McCarthy.
    If Joe was a Dr, he could find a cure for arthritis and some would be posting things like "Who does he think he is when real Dr's are working on important illnesses like cancer?"

The evidence is there that he is very good at what he does.

He is when he sticks to sport and does not veer off to other side issues.
    However, some people have now tarred him from those annoying things he did said in the past.
    Now some people seem to want to have a go at him no matter what he does.
    Others even seem to enjoy making up fictional interview/on air scenarios that could happen or may happen!

If people watch the McCarthy interview on you tube they will see that Joe handled it well.
    It was McCarthy who was been a bit playful/devious mentioning the 'faking injury' but did not want to discuss Siapan.
    McCarthy was smiling and having fun with it, obviously you would not see that on Radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Robert2012

He is when he sticks to sport and does not veer off to other side issues.
    However, some people have now tarred him from those annoying things he did said in the past.
    Now some people seem to want to have a go at him no matter what he does.
    Others even seem to enjoy making up fictional interview/on air scenarios that could happen or may happen!

If people watch the McCarthy interview on you tube they will see that Joe handled it well.
    It was McCarthy who was been a bit playful/devious mentioning the 'faking injury' but did not want to discuss Siapan.
    McCarthy was smiling and having fun with it, obviously you would not see that on Radio.

I agree, I thought it was a well conducted, amiable interview, I thought Joe did well and asked the obvious questions that have already been unanswered or unexplained, 16 years later, not really expecting a scoop, but having to go through the motions..

I thought Mick came across well, I found myself enjoying listening to him, I like the Northern English/Irish humour, they're very similar..I didn't see the interview, but I actually felt the humour in the pause between them.

It's funny, but in the light of recent developments with the international team, I found myself wondering if it would be such a bad thing if Mick was to come back as manager...

I can't believe I just typed that last sentence..

Robert2012 wrote: »

It's funny, but in the light of recent developments with the international team, I found myself wondering if it would be such a bad thing if Mick was to come back as manager...

I can't believe I just typed that last sentence..

In fairness I think he was ran out the job. The way the fans treated him at that Russia game in Moscow, and the Swiss game in Landsdowne was a disgrace.
    Irish fans shouting 'Keano, Keano', mob rule at it's worst.
    It showed no respect for Mick or what he had achieved for Ireland both as a player and a manager. (Not only that he revamped the team - much like what Giggs is trying to do with Wales)
    Mick deserves another go.
    Kilbane as assistant? It would get rid of him from the OTB airways anyway! :D

I don't think it has anything to do with Mick McCarthy.
    If Joe was a Dr, he could find a cure for arthritis and some would be posting things like "Who does he think he is when real Dr's are working on important illnesses like cancer?"

Ok, ok, so it would be fair to say I’m not Joe’s biggest fan on radio (I actually think he did well on TV3 rugby though). A lot of that goes back to the night the Second Captains were taken out and shot, and how Joe was absolutely giddy gleeful to take over the show they built. He went in there as Ger Gilroy’s protégé, the two of them with an agenda on everything. So for example, they don’t like MON, that informs how the Mick interview is approached. They don’t like Ron Atkinson, that’s all they want to talk about when Cyrille Regis dies. They are mates with Cora Staunton and Kilbane, so they take their side against Mayo and Declan Rice. That’s what riles me and IMO that is evidence that Joe is very very bad at what he does.

Faugheen wrote: »
    People need to listen to the full interview again instead of the parts they want to hear.

Mick McCarthy brought up the faking injury thing. He never, ever really addressed it before and it was one of Keane's biggest gripes. If you've got one side who never really addressed an aspect of one of the biggest scandals of Irish sport, and journalist worth their salt tries to get them to elaborate.

Mick had a slip of the tongue and Joe tried to get more out of him on it. If he didn't he'd be called useless, incompetent, reading off a script, gave Mick an easy ride etc.

F*cking hell I'm glad some of you experts aren't presenters.

It was a tongue in cheek remark that showed Mick is no longer bothered. Roy doesn’t care either, he is enjoying playing the media game and hamming it up every so often. They know if they kept the feud going they would look ridiculous, the I Keano show would be a big part of as well IMO.

Joe could have gone with a brief, witty retort, instead he starts thinking exactly along the lines you’ve posted there - Mick has never really addressed this, any journalist worth his salt would try to get him to elaborate, mustn’t give him an easy ride etc. and goes all Jeremy Paxman on him.

McCarthy who was been a bit playful/devious mentioning the 'faking injury' but did not want to discuss Siapan.

Exactly, but why couldn't Joe have run with that and kept the tone light, get more out of him that way? You'd think Mick had said something truly shocking.

• Advertisement

Exactly, but why couldn't Joe have run with that and kept the tone light, get more out of him that way? You'd think Mick had said something truly shocking.

If you look at the clip on you tube you would see Joe WAS having fun with it, and pushed it a bit to see how far he could get.
    I think you are hearing what you want to hear.

Watch the clip again:

You would swear it was Frost v Nixon the way you are portraying it! :D

At least 3 interpretations of the interview posted now :pac:

- Joe asks the hard questions
    - Joe goes through the motions
    - Joe having the craic with Mick

Personally I’m convinced he was going with the tough questioner routine but it’s all perceptions really. Joe and the show in general polarise people’s views so what more is there to say.

Sean O'Briens interview on last nights show was enjoyable.

Particularly about his interest in farming and horse racing.

I would cut Joe a break on this one. It was a bit tabloid of him to jump on that one statement about feigning injury, but then he would have been criticised if he hadn't said something about it. Mick McCarthy is always trying to make smart ar$e / deadpan "funny" comments with a straight face when speaking to the media, so he's a difficult man to read. McCarthy never comes across as a particularly likeable person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

I would cut Joe a break on this one. It was a bit tabloid of him to jump on that one statement about feigning injury, but then he would have been criticised if he hadn't said something about it. Mick McCarthy is always trying to make smart ar$e / deadpan "funny" comments with a straight face when speaking to the media, so he's a difficult man to read. McCarthy never comes across as a particularly likeable person.

I've always felt the opposite.

He doesn't seem to take ****e from anyone and seems to pull people up on their nonsense.He's a breath of fresh air compared to most other ex sportspeople/managers in my opinion.

This little clip below sums him up perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm9E-g3X-YQ

I've always felt the opposite.

He doesn't seem to take ****e from anyone and seems to pull people up on their nonsense.He's a breath of fresh air compared to most other ex sportspeople/managers in my opinion.

This little clip below sums him up perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm9E-g3X-YQ

Exactly, I could not agree more, AnthonyJmaher and the likes, go on about 'Snowflakes and Social Justice Warriors'.
    Then when a fella calls a spade a spade and a shovel a shovel they don't see him as likelable! :confused:

Mick McCarthy has a very dry sense of humour (occasionally mischievous), who calls things as he sees it, is honest ,forthright and (crucially) opinionated.
    All the qualities that people seem to be looking for in the OTB team (that is not there anymore.)

Yet when a fella like Mick McCarthy appears he is deemed as 'not very likable' by the very people who constantly give out about OTB for thier agenda/social justice etc.
    This is despite Mick McCarthy being the stereotypical 'man's man', a Clint Eastwood character of the football world.
    A football man.
    In fact, I think McCarthy would be a great addition to OTB he would be like what Kilbane could be, if Kilbane had an opinion on more then two issues!
    He would also be better the Giles - he would actually remember the names of players for a start.

I suppose sometimes you are damned if you and damned if you don't. :D

Another female sports panel, another big whinge about people not supporting them. ffs people have the right to view whatever they want to watch, why doesn't Nathan just SAY that to them. And yer wan started with the a bee in her bonnet about the Ivan Yeats interview where he questioned why they are opening up Croke Park for just 25k people. It's a legitimate question and it would certainly be asked if there were a similar situation with a men's game. But it seems if you're not fawning all over women's sports and jumping aboard the "we're oppressed" bandwagon, then you are not being fair or giving them support.

And Nathan says "How can we in the media do better at covering women's sports", almost apologising for Yeats. The way that you can do better is to ask them the exact same questions that the men would get and not give us this soft soaping all the time.

Another female sports panel, another big whinge about people not supporting them.

I did not listen to it (It would only annoy me anyway).
    But there is the thing about women's sports that are not well supported that annoy me.
    Why do the women not go to the games and give the women's sport the support it needs?
    They always have to resort to letting in young kids for free/practically nothing to fill the stadium.
    Katie Taylor is hung up to be an Irish female sporting role model by some women just because it sounds good.
    Can most of the women who name-check female sports 'stars' like Katie Taylor name any of the girls she defeated to win her World titles?
    I doubt it.
    Cora Staunton has given ladies club/county football more coverage with her 'really, really, vague row' than any past performances she has done on the pitch.
    That says it all to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Camogie and women's football is ****e. Not one cares, get over it.

200 people at an all Ireland quarter final. What a joke, the numbers speak for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Men and women are different beings. Men tend to like sport, women less so. Men tend to follow and play more sport than women. Men’s sport is usually of higher quality in terms of speed, strength, power etc. These are facts that are right in front of OTB’s nose and would answer all their questions. But there’d be no agenda to pursue then so why look at the actual evidence? Far easier to make up an oppression of women story angle. It’s as fake as WWE.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement