Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I've a sister who played camoige for Tipp, I even coached ladies for a while at my club. I've seen more desperate camoige games live than any man in the country.

I'm not joking when I say this, our u12 boys team would easily beat our ladies seniors.

It's horrible, they've no instinct for it, slow pace, no skill, awkward in their execution.

It's fcking brutal to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Big test for the OTB team today. Serena Williams had a meltdown last night, and made a show of herself. She was looking like losing so she threw a tantrum similar to the one that she did against Kim Clijsters a few years ago.

None of the American media were prepared to tackle Williams, I wonder what spin Joe Molloy will put on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

She really is a disgrace of a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Big test for the OTB team today. Serena Williams had a meltdown last night, and made a show of herself. She was looking like losing so she threw a tantrum similar to the one that she did against Kim Clijsters a few years ago.

None of the American media were prepared to tackle Williams, I wonder what spin Joe Molloy will put on it.
    What a diva. If OTB have picked up on it, I assume they would just not report it in the interests of preserving the sanctity of female sport and womanhood in general. On that topic, here is a report on the Australian women's soccer team who had their @rses handed to them 7-0 by an U15 boys team. This was the ADULT women's team, not an underage side.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/australian-womens-national-team-lose-70-to-team-of-15yearold-boys-a3257266.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

An implied racist/sexist angle would be used?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

To be fair, and I'm far from Richies biggest fan, I think he handled the Serena thing well in his newsround discussion with Joe. His take was that Serena broke the rules, and deserved to be punished. He also said that the ref (Carlos Ramos) has dished out similar punishments (albeit not as severe) to Nadal & Djokovic in the past - a fact which seems to have been ignored by most other coverage of this story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

To be fair, and I'm far from Richies biggest fan, I think he handled the Serena thing well in his newsround discussion with Joe. His take was that Serena broke the rules, and deserved to be punished. He also said that the ref (Carlos Ramos) has dished out similar punishments (albeit not as severe) to Nadal & Djokovic in the past - a fact which seems to have been ignored by most other coverage of this story.

He gave Djokovic a warning for time wasting with his serve in the 2017 French open which is one of the few times I've seen that being done.

Sadly in cases like this it's much easier for the media to play along with the victim angle rather than point out the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    What a diva. If OTB have picked up on it, I assume they would just not report it in the interests of preserving the sanctity of female sport and womanhood in general.

Just did a piece on it. Some will be disappointed. Very much that Serena was wrong. No suggestion that actions by umpire were unreasonable or biased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭hawley

Just did a piece on it. Some will be disappointed. Very much that Serena was wrong. No suggestion that actions by umpire were unreasonable or biased.

I thought that he said that they were both at fault?

Not disappointed at all. If they cover all stories in that manner, there would not be a problem.

• Advertisement

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    What a diva. If OTB have picked up on it, I assume they would just not report it in the interests of preserving the sanctity of female sport and womanhood in general.

Maybe they read this and saw that the keyboard warriors were holding them to task?

Did you just call yourself a keyboard warrior?

Patww79 wrote: »

Well played.

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭monstermag

OTBAM must be very popular as it seems to be trending regularly on twitter. The funny thing is Off the Ball seems to be the largely responsible for getting it to trend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

monstermag wrote: »
    OTBAM must be very popular as it seems to be trending regularly on twitter. The funny thing is Off the Ball seems to be the largely responsible for getting it to trend.

being 'very popular' and 'trending on twitter' are not the same thing. People vastly overestimate the amount of individual people who actively use twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

being 'very popular' and 'trending on twitter' are not the same thing. People vastly overestimate the amount of individual people who actively use twitter

have unfollowed OTB on twitter because of the amount that it's being pushed. that loaded with ads for screwfix and the bookies bugged the shyte out of me.

Ya I agree it's very easy to get something to trend on Twitter which begs the question why does OTBAM need it's big brother OTB to push it?

Ya I agree it's very easy to get something to trend on Twitter which begs the question why does OTBAM need it's big brother OTB to push it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

have unfollowed OTB on twitter because of the amount that it's being pushed. that loaded with ads for screwfix and the bookies bugged the shyte out of me.
    Did the same, stop following all the presenters too. My timeline used to be an infinite loop of OTB retweets and "Likes". Finally get to see some other news now! :D

• Advertisement

The OTB AM is well put together and a good idea. I just cant listen to Eoin Sheehan's voice droning on and on and on for long periods of time though. As I said before, he's like that priest that Father Jack gets locked in with, just going on and on and saying nothing. Gilroy is okay in small doses, but they really need somebody else in there with him. it is a good idea for a morning YouTube sports though.

I just wonder how the morning breakfast show on newstalk feel about it though. Surely it's taking some of their audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I just wonder how the morning breakfast show on newstalk feel about it though. Surely it's taking some of their audience.

I wouldnt have thought it would affect it much as most people would listen while driving/walking to work and you have to watch OTBAM via video. Puts me off tuning in anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I wouldnt have thought it would affect it much as most people would listen while driving/walking to work and you have to watch OTBAM via video. Puts me off tuning in anyway

You can stream the audio from your browser which is a bit easier than watching video - allows you to flick through other apps and websites.

Agree with you that OTBam is not a threat to main breakfast show - that’s still Paul Williams. Most of the breakfast show listeners are tuned in in the car.

As a side, I thought yesterday’s OTBam was one of the most entertaining 90mins of “radio” I’ve heard in a long time.

You can stream the audio from your browser which is a bit easier than watching video - allows you to flick through other apps and websites.

Agree with you that OTBam is not a threat to main breakfast show - that’s still Paul Williams. Most of the breakfast show listeners are tuned in in the car.

As a side, I thought yesterday’s OTBam was one of the most entertaining 90mins of “radio” I’ve heard in a long time.
    Yeah but not ideal, surprised they dont have a digital station or something like that for it

On twitter you can see the number of people watching at any one time. And the total who have tuned in at some point during the show.

Any time I looked at it, it seemed to have only 80-200 or so watching at that moment but the total who tune in can be 5,000+.

I didn't pay very close attention to this but that's my recollection. On mornings where there is a very hot topic, such as Spain manager being fired before world cup, the total who tuned in is understandably 40-60% higher.
    Yeah but not ideal, surprised they dont have a digital station or something like that for it

They go to a lot of effort to get visuals as well as the audio (such as effort to get Peter Crouch on Skype for his interview) so I reckon they are moving towards a dedicated TV offering except that it will be online. Maybe they will stick to the FB, Twitter, YouTube model they are currently using, each of these facilitates social media interaction better than a digital or traditional tv/radio offering.

The morning show is actually very good and ad break free which is a bonus although still has the screwfix/boyle sports blurbs.

The GAA Hour had a special today with the Mayo ladies manager. Worth a listen for anyone who had been following the Staunton stuff on Off the Ball over the last while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Dick Pickle

The GAA Hour had a special today with the Mayo ladies manager. Worth a listen for anyone who had been following the Staunton stuff on Off the Ball over the last while.

What was said?

What was said?

Just his account of the while thing and that her 'unsafe' and 'unhealthy' remarks the other day were what prompted him to say enough was enough and talk to the media as it was slanderous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

so we still don't know whats going on?

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    so we still don't know whats going on?

There's basically nothing according to him, nothing to do with player welfare anyway. Basically 2 players got the hump over playing time, direction, etc and most of the others left in solidarity.

https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/peter-leahy-defends-mayo-set-up-868651.html

_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Fair play to him, for some reason I am not expected a detailed response from Cora and her merry band

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Fair play to him, for some reason I am not expected a detailed response from Cora and her merry band

Just read this story. So it is as was suspected. A few players didn't like the team selection and decided to down tools, and then throw in the phrase "player welfare issues, which are too personal for the player to talk about" so as to bring all the SJWs (like Off The Ball) on their side.

Should be interesting to hear what Joe Molloy has to say all the same. He's been holding Roy Keane to account all week for what he said - it's time Joe is held to account for what he said. But you would hope they might learn something. Far too often, they blindly take the side of the minority, simply because they are women, black, etc etc. And as we have seen from last weekend, there are a lot of people who like to excuse their own bad behaviour as other people's "racism, sexism, etc-ism"

Over to you, Joe :pac: wonder will it be covered on OTB AM in 45 minutes.

naughtb4 wrote: »

Just read this story. So it is as was suspected. A few players didn't like the team selection and decided to down tools, and then throw in the phrase "player welfare issues, which are too personal for the player to talk about" so as to bring all the SJWs (like Off The Ball) on their side.

Should be interesting to hear what Joe Molloy has to say all the same. He's been holding Roy Keane to account all week for what he said - it's time Joe is held to account for what he said. But you would hope they might learn something. Far too often, they blindly take the side of the minority, simply because they are women, black, etc etc. And as we have seen from last weekend, there are a lot of people who like to excuse their own bad behaviour as other people's "racism, sexism, etc-ism"

Over to you, Joe :pac: wonder will it be covered on OTB AM in 45 minutes.
    Was there any mention on OTB AM after? Just listening to the Wooly podcast now and confirms what most people thought already

Was there any mention on OTB AM after? Just listening to the Wooly podcast now and confirms what most people thought already

Colm Parkinson was saying on Twitter how only RTE and the Examiner had covered Leahy's interview. He was semi-implying that it was strange that no one else had covered it.

It's building up nicely. OTB and the girls on one side, Leahy and a former OTB presenter on the other. ;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,275 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

After listening to the interview with the Mayo manager I have two things in my head

1 - I would never, ever get involved in coaching a ladies team
    2 - If I was the Mayo manager, I'd be getting my solicitor to send a letter to Cora Staunton

• Advertisement

BPKS wrote: »
    After listening to the interview with the Mayo manager I have two things in my head

1 - I would never, ever get involved in coaching a ladies team
    2 - If I was the Mayo manager, I'd be getting my solicitor to send a letter to Cora Staunton

It seems so surprising that it has got this far as you would have thought that people on both sides would be aware that their claims would eventually become public and that they would be vindicated or pilloried.

Someone is going to end up with their reputation tarnished in a fairly serious way more than just being seen as being awkward or incompetent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Cora must be keeping it for the book. Also TG4 are advertising a show about her time in Australia. I doubt she wants to do anything to damage that.

It seems so surprising that it has got this far as you would have thought that people on both sides would be aware that their claims would eventually become public and that they would be vindicated or pilloried.

Someone is going to end up with their reputation tarnished in a fairly serious way more than just being seen as being awkward or incompetent.

Agreed, it is verging on requiring legal action to sort it out.

Either the players are being treated horrendously and some of them are not aware of the nature of it.

OR

A certain core /(Cora) of players are being run by a ringleader who are doing thier best to force the current manager out, on the basis of vague issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

excellent interview. pretty much confirms the rumours that have been out there for several weeks now, with a lot more added details and explanation.
    it's pretty blatant that Carnacon and their players, lead by one who is unhappy about team selection, have tried to organise a mutiny against the management and failed.

OTB have serious egg on their faces for the kid-gloves treatment that they gave Staunton, and where Joe's bias obviously lay during the interview.

this is the link to Parkinson's interview with Leahy for those looking:

https://soundcloud.com/sportsjoe-gaa-hour/mayo-ladies-manager-pater-leahy-gives-his-side-of-the-story

Agreed, it is verging on requiring legal action to sort it out.

Either the players are being treated horrendously and some of them are not aware of the nature of it.

OR

A certain core /(Cora) of players are being run by a ringleader who are doing thier best to force the current manager out, on the basis of vague issues.

On the basis of being dropped from the starting team and being told where your performances are lacking and what you need to work on.

• Advertisement

OTB have serious egg on their faces for the kid-gloves treatment that they gave Staunton, and where Joe's bias obviously lay during the interview.

I don't think OTB could be faulted much for their approach in that interview given what was known at that point. The way it is playing out and how they handle it will make interesting viewing.

If the walkout had been seen to be justified, and Joe had pushed aggressively, there'd be some calling for his removal for how he handled the interview.

I don't think OTB could be faulted much for their approach in that interview given what was known at that point. The way it is playing out and how they handle it will make interesting viewing.

If the walkout had been seen to be justified, and Joe had pushed aggressively, there'd be some calling for his removal for how he handled the interview.

Ah here, you are creating a situation that never happened/might happen.
    Joe did not push anything at all he was interviewing her similar to how he would interview a broadcasting colleague.
    It was obvious he did not want to ask her any difficult questions.
    In contrast I remember the grilling OTB gave the chairperson of the LGFA, when she was on and got deservedly found out by how disjointed/disorganised/ lacking leadership it was on another issue (moving of fixtures to accommodate men).

From Colm Parkinson's podcast it seems to have all came down to 'feelings' and/or egos.

OTB would never put the question Cora straight out, and if she does not answer the question properly ask her what is she hiding.
    Is it down to ego's and feelings?

They would probably lose Cora Staunton as a broadcaster for OTB there is a clear conflict of interest.

Ah here, you are creating a situation that never happened/might happen.
    Joe did not push anything at all he was interviewing her similar to how he would interview a broadcasting colleague.
    It was obvious he did not want to ask her any difficult questions.
    In contrast I remember the grilling OTB gave the chairperson of the LGFA, when she was on and got deservedly found out by how disjointed/disorganised/ lacking leadership it was on another issue (moving of fixtures to accommodate men).

From Colm Parkinson's podcast it seems to have all came down to 'feelings' and/or egos.

OTB would never put the question Cora straight out, and if she does not answer the question properly ask her what is she hiding.
    Is it down to ego's and feelings?

They would probably lose Cora Staunton as a broadcaster for OTB there is a clear conflict of interest.

I'm not creating anything.
    When a group walks away as they did and cites player welfare, they are going to be dealt with kids gloves by most interviewers.

Time has elapsed since that interview and what has emerged seems to weaken their argument. It's easy to judge Joe/OTB with the benefit of hindsight.

And, all that been said, nothing has yet been proven in either way. If the girls were correct but it still isn't public, would Leahy have said anything differently on the podcast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

When a group walks away as they did and cites player welfare, they are going to be dealt with kids gloves by most interviewers.

Time has elapsed since that interview and what has emerged seems to weaken their argument. It's easy to judge Joe/OTB with the benefit of hindsight.

And, all that been said, nothing has yet been proven in either way. If the girls were correct but it still isn't public, would Leahy have said anything differently on the podcast?

If there was anything more sinister to it (as implied by the OTB interview)

I dont think

- he would have gone on the podcast and spoke in such uncertain terms
    - there would have been support publicly given by the other panel
    - there would have been such support within Mayo GAA to boot Carnacon from the championship

A simple "you use the word unsafe, why was it unsafe?" would have sufficed.
    Nothing has changed since the interview. They were very very set in the big bad Mayo GAA vs honest women who just want to play football stance

Hang on. Joe is supposed to be a sports journalist.

I heard what happened (i.e. what came out in the Parkinson interview) in late July.

If I was able to find out what was going on, surely a sports journalist could have done a bit of digging and found out what was going on behind the scenes, NDA or no NDA.

Joe jumped on the usual PC bullsh1t narrative that he usually does and now he looks like to total and utter buffoon. As well as a totally inept journalist.

In your previous post you said
    OTB can't be faulted they can they have not properly asked questions on the issues.
    They style themselves as a 'new breed' journalist who get to the real nub of the issue with an 'intellectual' 'broader issue' slant where possible.
    But they failed miserably to get any decent info on this issue.
    In contrast to Colm Parkinson's interview where it was forthright and to the point.

Also, you said if Joe/OTB handled it aggressively some would be calling for his removal.
    He barely handled it at all and quickly moved on, there is a big difference.

People were saying in the middle of this controversy why is Joe/OTB not asking real questions?
    What is it about etc?
    This criticism of them is not done with the benefit of hindsight at all, people could see what was/is happening with thier eyes and ears. (Even shown on this thread)
    Cora was given a really easy time by OTB now they look stupid for all thier high-horsed moralising / in depth paper review 'piece analysis' etc, they could not get to the bottom of a story properly.
    That would be proper old school journalism, it could have been a real scoop if they had a bit of balls.
    And conducted good investigative journalism.

OTB should be on thier knees begging to get Colm Parkinson back he has really shown them up on this one.

BPKS wrote: »
    Hang on. Joe is supposed to be a sports journalist.

I heard what happened (i.e. what came out in the Parkinson interview) in late July.

If I was able to find out what was going on, surely a sports journalist could have done a bit of digging and found out what was going on behind the scenes, NDA or no NDA.

Joe jumped on the usual PC bullsh1t narrative that he usually does and now he looks like to total and utter buffoon. As well as a totally inept journalist.

I understand that Joe is a sports broadcaster. While related, it's not exactly an investigative journalist is it?

You found out in July? Why didn't you inform everyone then. You could have cleaned up. Colm is two months behind you.

You don't like Joe. Fine. I get it.

I understand that Joe is a sports broadcaster. While related, it's not exactly an investigative journalist is it?

Would ya come off it nobody was told what the issue was it needed to be investigated and it certainly was not OTB that did it.

I thought that is thier MO real sports journalist's not pandering to the stars?

You found out in July? Why didn't you inform everyone then. You could have cleaned up. Colm is two months behind you.

You don't like Joe. Fine. I get it.

Cos it wasnt my business to make it public.

And I'm not exactly a credible source am I, an anonymous person on boards.

They style themselves as a 'new breed' journalist who get to the real nub of the issue with an 'intellectual' 'broader issue' slant where possible.
    Where do OTB brand themselves in this way? I must have missed it.
    This criticism of them is not done with the benefit of hindsight at all, people could see what was/is happening with thier eyes and ears. (Even shown on this thread)
    There is still no clear evidence though is there? People have strong opinions. It's hardly fact. And I say that as someone who thinks the Carnacon girls probably were ill-judged to do what they did.
    OTB should be on thier knees begging to get Colm Parkinson back he has really shown them up on this on.

Yeah. Colm did real investigative journalism. Peter? Do you want a platform to clear your name? I bet he fought hard.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement