Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Be Interesting to hear what joe will say to this evening or if he acknowledges Leahy’s interview.
    If anyone catches otb this evening can they post if he says anything

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

It never ceases to amaze me how mindless some GAA players can be. An established player gets her nose out of joint and the rest of them jeopardise their inter county careers for her sake. Why? She’s no spring chicken and won’t be around much longer anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,275 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Absolute refusal by the OTB boys to put any blame on Staunton on the show and also a a refusal to question the ambiguous "player welfare" and "safety" she spouted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Where do OTB brand themselves in this way? I must have missed it.

There is still no clear evidence though is there? People have strong opinions. It's hardly fact. And I say that as someone who thinks the Carnacon girls probably were ill-judged to do what they did.

Yeah. Colm did real investigative journalism. Peter? Do you want a platform to clear your name? I bet he fought hard.

You seem to be wanting your cake and eating it and are trying to muddy the waters.
    You are basically saying it is not OTB's fault, and then in the same breath saying if it is a fault it is someone else's.
    Basically OTB can do no wrong in your book.
    A few posts ago you were saying it is easy to judge OTB in hindsight, now you are changing the argument to it is hardly fact!?? :rolleyes:
    I know the story is not fact but the point is OTB did not do due diligence on Cora Staunton at all.
    There STILL has been no real story from Cora and she works in the same building with them!
    I give OTB credit where it is due, but to blindly defend them is verging on the sycophantic.

As for Parkinson he might not be polished but he asks the questions, he kept firing questions at the Mayo manager asking him what the situation was.
    In fairness to Parkinson he managed to draw a lot of info out of him.
    That Peter Leahy was an old school manager etc, interactions with players, past events.
    Actual answers, a story, not vague comments.
    Also a few weeks ago, Parkinson said he considered getting Cora Staunton on the show, but he said he decided against it because she does not seem to want to answer any real questions, so there is no point.

As for the way OTB brand themselves they do see themselves as on the vanguard of sports journalism - telling it like it is, getting to the real news, a different angle, guff like that.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Be Interesting to hear what joe will say to this evening or if he acknowledges Leahy’s interview. If anyone catches otb this evening can they post if he says anything

Any mention?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Joe really has a huge amount of egg on his face with this one. Cora Staunton really sold him a pup. And she actually put Newstalk in a precarious position legally, given that she was allowed (without challenge from Joe) to portray the management team as irresponsible people did not protect their players from the "player welfare" and "safety issues".

The first time the story was covered, Joe had already taken the player's corner. This is what Joe Molloy said on August 22nd when speaking to a journalist from a Mayo newspaper on OTB. Speaking of the decision to boot Carnacon out of the championship, Joe said:

"They are perfectly entitled to withdraw their players over player welfare issues if they want to. And they didn't do it without the player's agreement. They didn't just dream it up. I mean, the players clearly talked to the club and said something is not right here. This is one of the worst decisions I remember happening. *much sighing* I mean they haven't brought the game into disrepute. . . they just haven't!!"

http://www.offtheball.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/GAA_on_Off_The_Ball/64088/Carnacon_thrown_out_of_Mayo_championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You seem to be wanting your cake and eating it and are trying to muddy the waters.
    You are basically saying it is not OTB's fault, and then in the same breath saying if it is a fault it is someone else's.
    Basically OTB can do no wrong in your book.
    A few posts ago you were saying it is easy to judge OTB in hindsight, now you are changing the argument to it is hardly fact!?? :rolleyes:

Wow. That's nearly impressive.

What is not their fault? Where must blame be apportioned here? I simply commented on a reasonable view of how they handled the initial interview.

You seem to have a strong hatred for the show (or maybe just Joe) and just want to be able to blame them for something. Again. I'm not sure what that something is.
    I give OTB credit where it is due, but to blindly defend them is verging on the sycophantic.

I'm not blindly defending anyone (again defending them from what?). I'm giving my view on how they handled the interview at the time. I'm not saying they were right (that the girls were correct), I'm not saying Colm is wrong, I'm merely saying I think their interview was understandable at that moment.

Sycophantic? Yeah. I know exactly what you mean.

Joe really has a huge amount of egg on his face with this one.

:D:D:D:D:D

Yeah, he's really embarrassed about it.

Long interview played tonight with several hurlers and footballers and Joe as part of All Star nominations was very good.

Particularly Joe Canning and Andy Moran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Is there a podcast of the Cora interview on OTB, I can't find it? Thanks

You seem to have a strong hatred for the show (or maybe just Joe) and just want to be able to blame them for something. Again. I'm not sure what that something is.

Untrue, I praise the show where I think it is good and point out where I think they let themselves down.
    You can read my past posts if you wish, there was some decent interviews in the recent past by Joe.
    OTB did not cover themselves in glory here. If another radio station or media outlet were as soft on an important GAA issue (a time of the year where womens GAA is at it's zenith) they would be called out.
    Particaulary as they seemed to have Cora Stanton on OTB regulary 'talking' about the Ladies Mayo GAA issue.

But for some reason (as usual) you cannot or fail to see, anything wrong with it.
    If a person were to treat your posts on OTB as a review every interview is fantastic, every piece of content is superb, and it is the best show ever....
    You have created a litany of excuses for OTB on this one.
    That tells it's own story.

Is there a podcast of the Cora interview on OTB, I can't find it? Thanks

But for some reason (as usual) you cannot or fail to see, anything wrong with it.
    If a person were to treat your posts on OTB as a review every interview is fantastic, every piece of content is superb, and it is the best show ever....
    You have created a litany of excuses for OTB on this one.
    That tells it's own story.

I'm glad that my posts are so remarkable that you pay particular attention to them.

Just a heads up for you, I comment on what I enjoy. I don't post on that which disinterests me (or which I didn't like) but when I hear an interview I don't enjoy, I don't automatically assume it was because the interviewer or show was sh*t. And I do try to challenge posters who call something sh*t, not because the show is always wonderful or that said posters is not entitled to hold their own opinion but in each instance which I comment on, I find the negative view doesn't hold water.

I have created no excuses on this not to mind a litany. Night night.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭monstermag

I suspect there's a strongly worded letter sitting on someone's table in Mayo. How else could one explain the sudden change of story. To go from saying there was player welfare issues to then stating there wasn't is quite extraordinary. That should be like a red rag to a bull for any journalist worth it's salt. OTB have handled the whole story very badly. Don't forget these are the same lads that were very critical of David Walsh for some positive coverage ofTeam Sky, but they themselves can't even grill Cora Staunton and get to the bottom of a relatively minor issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

As for Parkinson he might not be polished but he asks the questions, he kept firing questions at the Mayo manager asking him what the situation was. In fairness to Parkinson he managed to draw a lot of info out of him. That Peter Leahy was an old school manager etc, interactions with players, past events. Actual answers, a story, not vague comments. Also a few weeks ago, Parkinson said he considered getting Cora Staunton on the show, but he said he decided against it because she does not seem to want to answer any real questions, so there is no point.

While he may not be everybody's cup of tea, I think Wooly is one of the best GAA reporters/commentators out there. His podcast is excellent, with a nice mix of entertainment, analysis, and no PC bull****. Gets decent guests from time to time.

• Advertisement

While he may not be everybody's cup of tea, I think Wooly is one of the best GAA reporters/commentators out there. His podcast is excellent, with a nice mix of entertainment, analysis, and no PC bull****. Gets decent guests from time to time.

Spot on. He has a good way with the guests, gets them relaxed and draws them out.
    Plus he has the pull to be able to get interesting guests on you would not normally hear.
    Then he is able to have an affinity with the players because he played.
    I am a regular listener to it, it has virtually replaced OTB for me, bar if I flick through the stations and put on Newstalk in the car.
    But then again, I am more of a GAA person. And I would have very little interest in the minutiae of Rugby with the likes of Matt Williams for example. I would turn that off.

While he may not be everybody's cup of tea, I think Wooly is one of the best GAA reporters/commentators out there.

Wooly is funny and speaks his mind. As I've said many times before, he was sorely missed when he left, as he was the only one that wasn't afraid to say something controversial.

I'm sick to death of Kevin Kilbane, who was brought in when Woolly left. And this Mother Theresa routine of his, giving out what what footballer's say in dressing rooms while pretending he has never done or heard similar, getting on his parapit about David Haye (who was being racially abused) calling the liverpool fans "retards". Haye was wrong to say what he did, but we didn't need all Kilbane's virtue signalling. I think Kilbane should maybe abandon his role in getting your men addicted to gambling with free bets before he lectures the rest of us.

(This picture below is shown before the videos on OTBAM)

461237.jpg

I wonder what all the Kilbane fanboys think of the above? Weren't OTB and Declan Lynch telling us all how dangerous the free bets were before!! They have done more U-turns than Ray D'Arcy at this stage.

And this Mother Theresa routine of his, giving out what what footballer's say in dressing rooms while pretending he has never done or heard similar, getting on his parapit about David Haye (who was being racially abused) calling the liverpool fans "retards". Haye was wrong to say what he did, but we didn't need all Kilbane's virtue signalling. I think Kilbane should maybe abandon his role in getting your men addicted to gambling with free bets before he lectures the rest of us.

A - Kevin has a daughter who has downs syndrome and understandably is very sensitive to the use of the word.

B - It's somewhat confusing how several can get so upset about OTB being sponsored by bookies while simultaneously saying they need to stop their virtue signalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

A - Kevin has a daughter who has downs syndrome and understandably is very sensitive to the use of the word.

B - It's somewhat confusing how several can get so upset about OTB being sponsored by bookies while simultaneously saying they need to stop their virtue signalling.

I think it is the fact they are speaking out of both sides of their mouths. If they weren't so holier than thou people would cut them a bit of slack over all the ads but they have had podcasts discussing the issues of gambling advertising and how bad it is. Now they are constantly shoving it down our throats.

Raoul wrote: »
    I think it is the fact they are speaking out of both sides of their mouths. If they weren't so holier than thou people would cut them a bit of slack over all the ads but they have had podcasts discussing the issues of gambling advertising and how bad it is. Now they are constantly shoving it down our throats.

I understand that. As I said I find it interesting that some call them on it by doing the exact same thing.

• Advertisement

I understand that. As I said I find it interesting that some call them on it by doing the exact same thing.

I'd like to respond to you but I'm busy watching The Friday Football Betting Show :pac:

When the OTB guys sell their souls they don't do it in half measures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

I'd like to respond to you but I'm busy watching The Friday Football Betting Show :pac:

When the OTB guys sell their souls they don't do it in half measures.

f*ck, look at those gnashers.

Just wondering guys, I know this question was asked above but did Joe Molloy or anybody on OTB comment on the interview Leahy? Surely they should give at least an apology to the Mayo Ladies management team?

Just wondering guys, I know this question was asked above but did Joe Molloy or anybody on OTB comment on the interview Leahy? Surely they should give at least an apology to the Mayo Ladies management team?

is the issue still not resolved?

It's not categorically proven yet that the claims were unfounded is it? Maybe it has been but I understand that it is still a case of both sides sticking to their argument.

Even if the girls claims were unfounded, I don't see how OTB owe the management team an apology. Has Leahy or anyone else called for one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

is the issue still not resolved?

It's not categorically proven yet that the claims were unfounded is it? Maybe it has been but I understand that it is still a case of both sides sticking to their argument.

Even if the girls claims were unfounded, I don't see how OTB owe the management team an apology. Has Leahy or anyone else called for one?

I am surprised they havent referenced it, even to say "we still back Cora, we still dont know what happened......"

If there is more to it I would have expected a riposte to be in the works (and maybe that is what they are waiting for)

OTB vs the GAA Hour :cool:

naughtb4 wrote: »
    OTB vs the GAA Hour :cool:

I think they go out of their way to not reference Wooly too much. Nor the Second Captains show either even though at times its obvious that they are referring to a topic from the other shows.
    The other shows largely treat them in the same way.

It will be interesting if each side of the incident doubles down then you'd imagine they will appear on each of their respective shows as time goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I think they go out of their way to not reference Wooly too much. Nor the Second Captains show either even though at times its obvious that they are referring to a topic from the other shows.

It will be interesting if each side of the incident doubles down then you'd imagine they will appear on each of their respective shows as time goes on.

Wooly mentioned the OTB interview multiple times on Thursdays show

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭GeordieRebel

In fairness the Second Captains lads are pretty good for referencing OTB and Wooly when material comes from them. It sticks out because of the shared history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Parkinson just tweeted that they rang Leahy to apologise to him. Looks like their Team Cora stance blew up in their face.

Hah, did they really think that they would get away with brushing it under the carpet like that! It's no good to Peter Leahy's reputation for them to privately apologise and let the audience believe the narrative that they broadcast.

From Woolly's Twitter:
    So @offtheballam have rang Peter Leahy and apologised. However on air they have completely ignored Peter defending himself on @thegaahour from the serious allegations made on their show. Is it because they don’t want to credit me for it? Surely they’re not that petty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Wish Wooly was still on OTB.

He was a huge loss to the show imo. The only 'personality' they had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

All the focus is on Joe Molloy but Ger Gilroy and his nodding dog Eoin were every bit as bad, they gave Cora an easy pass too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

He's better off without them. He has the ideal platform now, a podcast which doesn't have to adhere to the agenda of Ger Gilroy. If he was still on OTB, he would be forced to "toe the line" - maybe that's why he left..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'm glad he left them because we have the GAA hour now. One of my essential listens.

Any update on the Mayo soap opera? Duckie15 has been awful quiet on the twitter machine over the last few days. Has she responded at all to what Peter Leahy said or has there been any coverage of this in the media at all?

Seems like nobody in the main stream media wants to recognise that the emperor has no clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Follow them on Facebook and I am annoyed at those stupid Boylesports ads offering teaser odds to get people to join. Fair enough they have to pay the bills but I see they also have literally a section of the show devoted to gambling odds and have a lad on from Boylesports. Surely after the many many sports stars that have come out about their gambling addictions and how prevalent it is that this is a bad idea

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They're trying to harang people now to go to the Ladies football final.

They pad the stadium with free tickets, every club in the country can apply. A busload of young wans went up to the camoige last Sundayfrom my club. Nobody pays and it ends up costing the GAA to open Croker.

They've their own organisation. Play the fckkng thing in Birr or somewhere . Stop bleeding the GAA.

They've their own organisation. Play the fckkng thing in Birr or somewhere . Stop bleeding the GAA.
    That's a bit academic now, with the One Club policy.

My local club, like many others, is a combination club: the jerseys have both the camogie and gaa crests, and everything, including finances, are managed under a single board.

Since when was the GAA purely a finance-driven organisation, anyway?

That's a bit academic now, with the One Club policy.

My local club, like many others, is a combination club: the jerseys have both the camogie and gaa crests, and everything, including finances, are managed under a single board.

Since when was the GAA purely a finance-driven organisation, anyway?

Some time in the 2000's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

As bad/annoying as most of the offtheball team are, wooly was nothing special either. He was always trying to be the funny man, and failing in my opinion. And constantly acting stupid and would play ignorant on football and rugby.

He was on form when gaa was the topic. And he is still proving to be great.
    But he proved how bad he is (aside of gaa) when he interviewed dunphy a couple of years ago, it was so cringe. He just wanted dunphy to slag players and go through all his one liners. Trying to get easy laughs for the crowd, but again, he is not funny.

Did they ever acknowledge the Leahy interview on the show?

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    As bad/annoying as most of the offtheball team are, wooly was nothing special either. He was always trying to be the funny man, and failing in my opinion. And constantly acting stupid and would play ignorant on football and rugby.

That was part of his shtick to play the simple eejit to more serious learned colleagues etc.
    The present lads are not able to act the eejit in a humorous manner.
    They are so wrapped up in thier own self importance at times, that when they do try to be funny it comes across as 'Look how witty I am listeners'.
    It rarely if ever works.

If there was a person with a bit of life in him or her, they would be a great pairing with Eoin Sheehan.
    Someone who is off the cuff opinionated and goes off script would be ideal.
    Kudos to Sheehan he plays the dull, uninspiring, uncontroversial, moribund type persona excellently.
    Put a bit of a 'head the ball' beside him and it's radio gold in the making.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Did they ever acknowledge the Leahy interview on the show?

Yeah I'm still waiting for an answer to this. They are going to have to do something. If I were Leahy, I would want it made public, what use is a private apology over the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Is it Nathan that was running the show tonight? Whoever it is they have an awful habit of when they get an email in they disagree with they read it out but stop at almost every line to throw in their opinion and basically how the emailer is wrong or some smart comment. Even if the emailer is wrong it seems very childish the way it is done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Yeah I'm still waiting for an answer to this. They are going to have to do something. If I were Leahy, I would want it made public, what use is a private apology over the phone.

Was there anything particularly slanderous said? If there was, I’m sure the on air grovelling would’ve already taken place. If not, I’d say he was doing well to get an informal private apology. I’d also imagine if Leahy had been outright slandered he would’ve demanded them by now. I haven’t heard what was said so I’m just asking and not defending the OTB lads.

• Advertisement

sightband wrote: »
    Was there anything particularly slanderous said? If there was, I’m sure the on air grovelling would’ve already taken place. If not, I’d say he was doing well to get an informal private apology. I’d also imagine if Leahy had been outright slandered he would’ve demanded them by now.

It was more references to "player welfare issues" and "player safety" and those issues being referred to as "too personal for the player to talk about", rather than any direct accusation. But that is what is most cowardly about it. Cora has created all this smoke without naming anybody, so it just casts question on all the management team.

It's shameful the way that OTB now want to bury the story since the Peter Leahy. They aren't man enough to admit that they were wrong or at least now cover the story with some balance. AFAIK, they haven't even mentioned Mayo Ladies since that Peter Leahy interview. Not even when Cliona Foley was on last night speaking about Ladies football

Can you imagine the situation:
    Peter Leahy: "Cora, you've been away in Australia for the last six months, so we have had somebody else taking the frees. I'd like to keep them on the frees for consistency".
    Cora: "I feel that my personal safety may be in jeopardy and must leave the squad."
    :-)

Looks like they have some new information as it's top of the bill this morning and there's no chance they're climbing down off that high horse.

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/1041929923395571712

Patww79 wrote: »
    Looks like they have some new information as it's top of the bill this morning and there's no chance they're climbing down off that high horse.

Well that's shut me up then Pat :pac::pac:

I think the Sean Cavanagh interview is probably the one that they said they did last week.

UPDATE: They are calling it "departed Mayo ladies talk". Peter Leahy said that there were only two girls essentially that had a problem with them so I wonder who they have. It's on at 7:50am so that is right now in as much as I know about clocks.

"We weren't given feedback, one girl was told she was lazy".

The girls need to grow the f**k up. The ladies game is gonna suffer because of this, as no male manager or coach is ever gonna want to put himself in this position again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just watched it. Nothing very new or exclusive?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement