Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Ample opportunity for them to go on a long winded rant of their disapproval of Billy Joe Saunders latest incident but they managed to also discuss all the boxing whilst also rightfully condemning his idiotic stunt.

Well with Billy Joe it's not a stunt. He does that sort of sh1t all the time. A few months ago he told some poor old guy that if he allowed him to crack six eggs on his head he would give him 100 pounds. Then he goes and cracks five eggs on his head but wont crack the sixth one. Really childish, unfunny, stupid stuff.

He's a very talented guy, but he just lets himself down all the time. I think this one is probably the worst though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Raisins wrote: »
    What are you talking about? Read the facts on the funding and then make stupid parallels.

This topic has been done to death and still Dublin fans are pretending not to understand it. It’s worse than Brexit.

Dublin get a level of games development funding comparable to all the other counties in Leinster combined. This has nothing to do with Dublin commercial revenue or the gate receipts. It’s straight GAA funding that they’re getting at a multiple of other counties, only because the GAA were desperate for a strong Dublin team. It’s mission accomplished and that funding has to stop. There are other arguments about commercial revenue being spread and Croke Park as their home venue but that’s the key point.

It is not a stupid parallell at all you just don't want to see it. Dublin are carrying GAA in Ireland as it is. Read gaaconomics by moynihan.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Well with Billy Joe it's not a stunt. He does that sort of sh1t all the time. A few months ago he told some poor old guy that if he allowed him to crack six eggs on his head he would give him 100 pounds. Then he goes and cracks five eggs on his head but wont crack the sixth one. Really childish, unfunny, stupid stuff.
    1980s

He's a very talented guy, but he just lets himself down all the time. I think this one is probably the worst though.

Im well aware of BJS carry on through the years the lad is a fool, the point I made was that the OTB boxing lads didnt spend the entire show competing to see who was most outraged like ger/joe would.

They dealt with it admirably and moved on with a very good show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It is not a stupid parallell at all you just don't want to see it. Dublin are carrying GAA in Ireland as it is. Read gaaconomics by moynihan.

Yeah, hurling would be f*cked but for them.

Yeah, hurling would be f*cked but for them.

Hurling was f*cked up until this year.

Hurling was f*cked up until this year.

Yeah? 4 different winners in 5 years before this year tells a different story.

Yeah? 4 different winners in 5 years before this year tells a different story.

That does not mean it is good shape.
    I would argue that is papering over the cracks.

No decent hurling in Connacht = Galway now in Leinster.
    Ulster hurling = not much in terms of standard.
    The sport of hurling is and always will be Munster hurling with Kilkenny and Galway thrown in.
    Very occasionally Wexford and Offaly raise thier head, but disappear again.

There is little interest in the rest of the country, which is why the GAA are/were desperate for Dublin to become a force.
    Hurling can hardly be classed a countrywide game.
    There are pockets alright.
    But mostly it is a lot of noise from the traditional counties, but little elsewhere.

Plus the most damning bit for hurling is the attendances, it is always easy to get a ticket for a hurling match for every game - except the all-ireland final which is generally not the case in football for example.

(Ps apologies mod for going off topic - I appreciate this is an OTB thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

We're the lads really giving odds on the Liam Miller charity match? I haven't been up to date with it. Is the betting proceeds going to Liam Millers family? If not surely, that's a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

Is it just me or is anyone else getting fed up with the Boylesports affiliation and their constant mentioning of odds across various sports.

I understand they are sponsored by them but it’s getting ridiculous now.

10 seconds into last nights show and they were discussing anytime goal scorer odds for the Liam miller match today, I mean seriously?

It used to be a great show but the betting angle the show has taken is really turning me off it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Sono wrote: »
    Is it just me or is anyone else getting fed up with the Boylesports affiliation and their constant mentioning of odds across various sports.

10 seconds into last nights show and they were discussing anytime goal scorer odds for the Liam miller match today, I mean seriously?

It used to be a great show but the betting angle the show has taken is really turning me off it.

There’s an awful pox who comes on talking about whatever sports event slipping in commentary on odds all the time. Any poor lad who has a gambling problem beat steer clear

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Jack0125

Agreed. I get there are commercial realities but incessant betting segways.

Gaa hour with paddy power. Its cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Absolutely, I like the racing show and the football betting podcast as quick overview of all the weekend games but it doesn't sit very well with me that they are advertising and promoting gambling which is arguably a bigger issue in sport than doping

Jack0125 wrote: »
    Agreed. I get there are commercial realities but incessant betting segways.

Gaa hour with paddy power. Its cat.

i don't bet anymore, partly due to companies shoving it down people throat's every ad break any sports show radio/tv.
    I know it is targeted at the young fellas in thier 20s market.
    It is a far cry from those dingy betting shops and auld lads in flat caps from years ago.
    I am not sure if the target market will realise they are the ones being taken advantage of?
    It is so normalised now, with that air of friendliness and fun in the ads.

I can remember an older fella at work (before online betting accounts), we just dd a small accumulator on soccer.
    He said he would join the pool, but not put he did not to be seen going into a bookie, so the others had to do it!
    (There was a stigma attached to going into a bookies then).

In a way I am glad that people are getting pissed off at all the over the top betting ads on OTB.
    This means that betting companies might finally hit a plateau, and people will see through them for what they are again?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Are there any restrictions on gambling advertising at the moment or is it a free for all? I’ve no interest in gambling but it’s just constantly in your face at the moment everywhere. There are bookies everywhere also. Go into any pub during the day and that at the races shįte is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Jack0125

Between OFTAM and the main presenters having presenting interests outside newstalk.

And all the additional shows (nfl..keith andrews...golf weekly) does anyone get the feeling they are spreading the butter/talent a bit thin these times....

Radio Ratings for the evening show must be falling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Between OFTAM and the main presenters having presenting interests outside newstalk.

And all the additional shows (nfl..keith andrews...golf weekly) does anyone get the feeling they are spreading the butter/talent a bit thin these times....

I am finding myself listening to game on more recently

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

I actually think they went up in the last JNLR.

redbuck wrote: »
    I actually think they went up in the last JNLR.

Yes. Up 6,000 year on year apparently.

Yes. Up 6,000 year on year apparently.

So that is about one in ten new leaving cert students each year?

So that is about one in ten new leaving cert students each year?

Well done. You divided the number of leaving certs in the country by 6,000. :confused:

Did you have a point to make while you were doing it?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I'd like to think if a radio show of any kind knew they were going to be getting 1 in 10 Leaving Cert students tuning in every year then they'd be delighted.

Well done. You divided the number of leaving certs in the country by 6,000. :confused:

Did you have a point to make while you were doing it?

You are very passive aggressive these days.... even by your standards...

The point I was making I thought was implied.... (But obviously I must spell it out for you and tell you how)

My point in simple terms is that the majority of fresh meat (new listeners) that listen to the show do not know any better.
    Therefore the majority listen to the show without any critical analysis, and are therefore easily manipulated, betting, presenter agendas and so on.
    They do not know how to properly evaluate the information they are hearing.

If you want to me to dumb it down further for you, i could pm you to save you the embarrassment? (Look at that I can do passive aggressive too! :D)

My point in simple terms is that the majority of fresh meat (new listeners) that listen to the show do not know any better.
    Therefore the majority listen to the show without any critical analysis, and are therefore easily manipulated, betting, presenter agendas and so on.
    They do not know how to properly evaluate the information they are hearing.

Ah, so you've spoken with the 6,000 new listeners and confirmed that they are "fresh meat". I mean, they couldn't possibly be from any other demographic or dare I say it, Game on listeners, GAA Hour listeners or Second Captain listeners who are trying something different.

As for the rest of your post, seriously?

Ah, so you've spoken with the 6,000 new listeners and confirmed that they are "fresh meat". I mean, they couldn't possibly be from any other demographic or dare I say it, Game on listeners, GAA Hour listeners or Second Captain listeners who are trying something different.

As for the rest of your post, seriously?

Why did you ask if you implicitly knew my point already?
    You are not stupid, but play stupid when it suits.
    Is it just another occasion where you drag out a point ad nausem?
    And is it not obvious that the new listeners are more likely to come from a younger market?
    Or are you going to find fault with that argument as well for the craic, just to be contrary?

Why did you ask if you knew my point already is it just another occasion where you drag out a point ad nausem?
    Is it not obvious that the new listeners are more likely to come from a younger market?
    Or are you going to find fault with that argument as well for the craic, just to be contrary?

How in the name of God is it obvious?
    All of the posters here who claimed here to have gone elsewhere are therefore new listeners to whatever they now tune in to. Does that mean that they are automatically a younger market.

I know the point you are making. I think you are wrong. But I'll say I agree with you if you want. This is tiring.

Joe Molloy is in his element on the show tonight. At the Ryder Cup for next 3 days. It's like the night before Christmas for him tonight.

All of the posters here who claimed here to have gone elsewhere are therefore new listeners to whatever they now tune in to. Does that mean that they are automatically a younger market.

I know the point you are making. I think you are wrong. But I'll say I agree with you if you want. This is tiring.

Joe Molloy is in his element on the show tonight. At the Ryder Cup for next 3 days. It's like the night before Christmas for him tonight.

I think it is obvious anyway. I am not a marketing person.
    But I am sure someone will clarify who the likes of Newstalk target etc, as there is loyalty among older listeners to other platforms and stations.
    I assume 18 - 25 is the key target area for them.

Not listening to Newstalk at the mo, not really into the Ryder Cup/Golf but I am sure it is top notch stuff if you are into it - passion, golf nuance, technical issues etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Why did you ask if you knew my point already is it just another occasion where you drag out a point ad nausem?
    Is it not obvious that the new listeners are more likely to come from a younger market?

Are you a NT/OTB plant. They seem to do no wrong in your eyes. If they are sh1t, and they are for the most part in my opinion, we can say they are sh1t. That doesn’t seem to sit well with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Jayesdiem wrote: »

Are you a NT/OTB plant. They seem to do no wrong in your eyes. If they are sh1t, and they are for the most part in my opinion, we can say they are sh1t. That doesn’t seem to sit well with you.

That’s to Tell, not Gorm

Jayesdiem wrote: »

Yes. I work for OTB. You figured me out......:cool:

Let's be clear. No, I don't. In any way. I am based on the West Coast. I don't personally know anyone working in OTB. I have no link to the station.

I do not intentionally set out to fight their corner, but I do challenge what I believe to be untrue statements when they are given as fact. I don't challenge people on their right to have an opinion because they are as entitled to as I am but when I think it is purely a subjective opinion stated as fact, I query it.

I do dislike this persistent negative posting indicating the show is a disaster when most of the evidence is that it is still doing well and actually gaining popularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Deag4

First time posting. Long time reading. Can we not just all agree that off the ball is **** and has been for over 2 years. Barely able to listen to it these days. All the negative criticism is fact as far as I can see. It's a pity though. It once was very innovative and a must listen. Can't remember the last time I enjoyed it recently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,271 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Deag4 wrote: »
    First time posting. Long time reading. Can we not just all agree that off the ball is **** and has been for over 2 years. Barely able to listen to it these days. All the negative criticism is fact as far as I can see. It's a pity though. It once was very innovative and a must listen. Can't remember the last time I enjoyed it recently

Last time I enjoyed it was when Joe got his knickers in a twist about the Roosters. And I dont mean the potatoes.

I disagree (surprise surprise). I'm not here to argue with anyone collectively, or individually, but I think it is still the most entertaining sports radio platform in the country. And I include podcasts in that.

There are podcasts producing some entertaining content, there are other sports radio programs but they cannot match OTB in terms of volume and I think the high points of OTB, match the high points of their competitors.

There are some elements of OTB I don't like and also some presenters I am not fond of. I don't complain about these because i think it is largely my subjective opinion which leads me to dislike them. As I've said previously, I get frustrated with persistent negativity and claims the show is **** when the evidence contradicts that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

We can't. Not me anyway. My approach is to listen to things I like, and not to listen to things I don't like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

I get frustrated with persistent negativity and claims the show is **** when the evidence contradicts that.

Sure its all about opinions. There is no "evidence" of anything - and don't start on about JNLR figures in this context please (if you genuinely mean it when you say you're not here to argue).

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Sure its all about opinions. There is no "evidence" of anything - and don't start on about JNLR figures in this context please (if you genuinely mean it when you say you're not here to argue).

Why pray tell?

Others use them to suggest a show is failing...

Have you another metric you'd prefer to use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

I'm not here to argue with anyone collectively, or individually

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Why pray tell?

Others use them to suggest a show is failing...

Have you another metric you'd prefer to use?

I’m in serious doubt of how genuine those figures are. The breakfast show is an absolute car crash with Paul Williams on board. I have genuinely never heard a single person defend his talents...in fact all I have ever heard or read about him is how useless and unlikeable he is, and he is not the type of controversial unlikeable they were, I’m assuming, they thought he would be. He is just a talentless arsehole who seems to even disgust his colleagues...on air. Yet breakfast show figures are also up from when it was quite a good mix with donoghue and yates. Donoghue wanders off into the sunset with some FG job, did Leo hire him? Did he f*ck,

The master and commander of that ship is a very wealthy and disgustingly corrupt person...so, as far as media and JNLR figures go, who knows what’s going on, but I don’t trust those figures.this is a popular forum with some free speech, that free speech on all Newstalk radio shows does not reflect JNLR figures and what I would consider more popular opinion.

sightband wrote: »
    I’m in serious doubt of how genuine those figures are. The breakfast show is an absolute car crash with Paul Williams on board. I have genuinely never heard a single person defend his talents...in fact all I have ever heard or read about him is how useless and unlikeable he is, and he is not the type of controversial unlikeable they were, I’m assuming, they thought he would be. He is just a talentless arsehole who seems to even disgust his colleagues...on air. Yet breakfast show figures are also up from when it was quite a good mix with donoghue and yates. Donoghue wanders off into the sunset with some FG job, did Leo hire him? Did he f*ck,

The master and commander of that ship is a very wealthy and disgustingly corrupt person...so, as far as media and JNLR figures go, who knows what’s going on, but I don’t trust those figures.this is a popular forum with some free speech, that free speech on all Newstalk radio shows does not reflect JNLR figures and what I would consider more popular opinion.

But in every thread it’s people who are saying how crap the show is and giving out yards and how they’re not tuning in again and that they’re done with the station...

...then the vast majority are doing the same thing about the same shows two weeks later.

I have my own questions about the JNLRs in how accurate they are from such a small sample size, but people who are giving out about the show on here are the same ones who are still listening.

I mean, take this thread. Same people saying it’s ****e and giving out about Ger and Joe...

...but they’re still listening.

I wouldn’t take negative comments on here as any reflection on what the listenership figures are like at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Only started listening to OTB lately, was listening to the Friday Football Betting Show on the way home from work tonight and turned it off inside 5 minutes.
    I know they're sponsored by Boyles but it was just a huge advert for them, I doubt that particular show would exist otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

I'm not a huge fan of the current crop of presenters, but still listened fairly regularly, not much else on the radio at that hour anyway. But I've been turned off hugely by the current gambling love-in. I still listen to the live football on Sunday, but other than that I've barely heard anything other than headlines at 7 in weeks.

Faugheen wrote: »
    But in every thread it’s people who are saying how crap the show is and giving out yards and how they’re not tuning in again and that they’re done with the station...

...then the vast majority are doing the same thing about the same shows two weeks later.

I have my own questions about the JNLRs in how accurate they are from such a small sample size, but people who are giving out about the show on here are the same ones who are still listening.

I mean, take this thread. Same people saying it’s ****e and giving out about Ger and Joe...

...but they’re still listening.

I wouldn’t take negative comments on here as any reflection on what the listenership figures are like at all.

I don’t know how true that is, I’ve stopped listening to both breakfast and OTB but i occasionally happen to hear both shows when driving and flicking through stations. I listen for as long as I am reminded why I switched it off, usually no more than ten minutes. Paul Williams no more than 15-30 seconds, but you do get snippets of the shows but I am definitely not a listener. I’m sure a lot of the posters here are the same.

I don’t know how true that is, I’ve stopped listening to both breakfast and OTB but i occasionally happen to hear both shows when driving and flicking through stations. I listen for as long as I am reminded why I switched it off, usually no more than ten minutes. Paul Williams no more than 15-30 seconds, but you do get snippets of the shows but I am definitely not a listener. I’m sure a lot of the posters here are the same.

I have stopped listening full stop, just bored of it.
    Have I outgrown it maybe?
    I found another station that does a good job on GAA stuff on Dublin City FM.
    In particular a programme called 'GAA sportsdesk' (happened to catch it by chance after the traffic programme).
    It is not polished but discusses local Dublin GAA - clubs and county stuff etc on Wednesday evenings.
    Dublin City also do GAA commentary of Dublin club matches (which I knew already)

But I looked up Dublin City's website there do plenty of other sports shows as well.

https://dublincityfm.ie/taxonomy/term/7

So between Dublin City FM and the GAA hour Podcast, I don't have any further need for OTB and thier antics.
    Only for I listen to Newstalk - Moncrieff (sometimes) / Ivan Yates (sometimes) / Tom Dunne (very occasionally) 106fm would be removed from the tuner dial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

I'm not a huge fan of the current crop of presenters, but still listened fairly regularly, not much else on the radio at that hour anyway.

They are really after expanding the staff hugely over the last month or so. Somebody must have been feeding Ger Gilroy after midnight or something. Seems that a lot of the local bloggers and social media sports influencers (:D) now have part time jobs in the OTB youtube channel. Guys like Darren Cleary and Johnny Ward.

I think the YouTube channel is a great idea. You'd wonder how nobody has already captured that market, BBC Radio 5? RTE? Sky Sports? Second Rate Captains even? Seems like a no brainer.

On a side note, I think I heard the most descriptive comment about Johnny Ward's style of punditry while listening to somebody discussing Off The Ball. Authoritative Bogger :)

I think the YouTube channel is a great idea. You'd wonder how nobody has already captured that market, BBC Radio 5? RTE? Sky Sports? Second Rate Captains even? Seems like a no brainer.

I agree that the you tube channel is a good idea by them, they can hit people who don't listen to thier radio show that way.

Sky Sports show snippets of programmes on you tube.

The Sky Sport Debate - has popped up as a recommended on you tube.
    I clicked on it when the world cup was on it was not great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PjxEijul2A

Just seven minutes of Danny Murphy and Craig Bellamy offering very little insight then what the average layman would know already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

This is it. People passively listen to OTB. I might turn it on while flicking through stations but will switch after 10 minutes max. It's wall to wall 'lads banter' tinged with social justice, white knight nonsense.
    It is very low brow pretending to be something else.
    The gambling stuff just proves the point. Hypocrisy of the highest order.

• Advertisement

I'm not a huge fan of the current crop of presenters, but still listened fairly regularly, not much else on the radio at that hour anyway.

They are really after expanding the staff hugely over the last month or so. Somebody must have been feeding Ger Gilroy after midnight or something. Seems that a lot of the local bloggers and social media sports influencers (:D) now have part time jobs in the OTB youtube channel. Guys like Darren Cleary and Johnny Ward.

On a side note, I think I heard the most descriptive comment about Johnny Ward's style of punditry while listening to somebody discussing Off The Ball. Authoritative Bogger :)

Darren Cleary's been reading sports bulletins on 98fm for years now.

If you're going to comment on people at least know what they do instead of putting them in the bracket of 'social media influencer'.

Doesn't suit your narrative of talking in facts though so I doubt you'll even take this post in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

How does someone "passively listen" to the radio? Would the opposite be "active listening", and if so what does that mean?

How does someone "passively listen" to the radio? Would the opposite be "active listening", and if so what does that mean?

I think he/she means putting it on as background noise. but not not listening attentively?
    Not feeling engaged in the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I think he/she means putting it on as background noise. but not not listening attentively?
    Not feeling engaged in the show.

That's exactly what I meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I'm laughing that they are saying Eubank Jr. is at the same level as Canelo and GGG.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement