Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,973 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Pieces over the last few days on painkillers in sport were very interesting.
    Soccer, Rugby, GAA (football) all covered with experienced professionals giving their views.
    Brian O'Driscoll, Keith Andrews, Steven Reid, Michael Meehan, Enda McGinley, Kevin Kilbane, John Giles, all spoke about how they had been used to mask pain sufficiently to get someone on to the field.

I wonder will there be legal cases in future over some players feeling they were put in harms way as a consequence.
    Hard to see how a club could defend against it if they had administered the medication and coerced players to take it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Oh the rugby broadcast from dolphin was very dated, like livelines funny Friday. The old boys, laughing at each other’s jokes, I did cringe at times.

pc7 wrote: »
    Oh the rugby broadcast from dolphin was very dated, like livelines funny Friday. The old boys, laughing at each other’s jokes, I did cringe at times.

All roadshow broadcasts tend to drift in to this territory.
    There's only so much you can say and it this stage a lot of it has already been said.

Halpins line about Lomu was funny but given social media now in particular, everyone has probably heard it already and yet I bet if he is at a speaking event in future it will be used again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Declan Lynch on a Brexit rant during paper review. Give us a break ffs, this is supposed to be a sports show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

The show's 'previews' of Premier League games now consist of reading out each team's form and then the odds.

Sold their soul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

NufcNavan wrote: »
    The show's 'previews' of Premier League games now consist of reading out each team's form and then the odds.

Sold their soul.

But they give a warning beforehand so that makes it ok

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

NufcNavan wrote: »

Sold their soul.

I thought they were good Saturday when Gary Breen was on, but I just zoned out when Leon Blanche started talking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Jesus Ger Gilroy was unbearable on OTB AM this morning, like a fella who hadn't watched football in years and was just making generalisations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

OTBAM on Monday morning was brutal. one of the biggest upsets in GAA for a long time on Sunday, and they spend about 5 minutes slagging off Kilmacud Crokes from the point of view of other clubs in Dublin, talking absolute shyte.

no one cares about your poxy local rivalry, especially when those local rivalries have imported players from all over the country. local rivalry me hole.

Hon Mullinalaghta!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I see OTB have signed up Johhny Sexton. To do what exactly I don't know? Maybe he'll read out the Boylesports betting odds on the weekend's rugby games?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I see OTB have signed up Johhny Sexton. To do what exactly I don't know? Maybe he'll read out the Boylesports betting odds on the weekend's rugby games?

If I was to have a rough guess, I would imagine it's to have access to him head of big games/big weekends and nobody else can.

Imagine snapping up the current worlds best player and people still find a way to have a dig.

From Off the Ball
    In a partnership with Off The Ball and Communicorp Media that will run until July 2021, Sexton is committed to a number of event appearances, as well as regular guest contributions on-air and across all Off The Ball digital channels.

Communicorp Media owner, Denis O’Brien, has been a long-term supporter of Irish rugby and has renewed his commitment to Leinster and the IRFU, by facilitating Sexton’s partnership with Off The Ball.

I suspect an end of season road show appearance and maybe a monthly chat on how progress is going in preparing for World Cup. Suspect he might also host media events to bring in potential sponsors.

Seeing Denis O'Brien's name in there is curious, this could be a roundabout way of influencing Johnny's salary........

Probably shrewd enough business. He is the biggest name in Irish sport at the moment. Time will tell, this could be anything from a weekly podcast to 2 appearances a year at a meet and greet.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

As a player there are no words, Johnny is just amazing. I've been to a few gigs he's spoken at and I have to say he looks like he absolute hates it. Comes across really nervous or that he just doesn't want to do it (almost shy?). Maybe he'll get more natural at it but it doesn't seem to be his forte.

As a player there are no words, Johnny is just amazing. I've been to a few gigs he's spoken at and I have to say he looks like he absolute hates it. Comes across really nervous or that he just doesn't want to do it (almost shy?). Maybe he'll get more natural at it but it doesn't seem to be his forte.

Heard him on Eamon Dunphy's podcast. Thought he was good on that. Maybe behind the camera is his preference.

I suspect wherever he is, Brian O'Driscoll won't be too far away. Would rather not. An 'interview' of Brian telling Johnny how wonderful he is doesn't appeal to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

As a player there are no words
    almost as a pundit too by the sounds (or lack thereof) of it:P
    I've been to a few gigs he's spoken at and I have to say he looks like he absolute hates it. Comes across really nervous or that he just doesn't want to do it (almost shy?)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

From Off the Ball
    He is the biggest name in Irish sport at the moment.

I think you could be right and that is very depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

OTBAM on Monday morning was brutal. one of the biggest upsets in GAA for a long time on Sunday, and they spend about 5 minutes slagging off Kilmacud Crokes from the point of view of other clubs in Dublin, talking absolute shyte.

no one cares about your poxy local rivalry, especially when those local rivalries have imported players from all over the country. local rivalry me hole.

Hon Mullinalaghta!

I did not hear it. But Kilmacud are local lads, by the way.
    To me if OTB were serious they would be having someone on to discuss Mullinalaghta structures, tactics etc. How they make use of resources etc.

OK they were fortunate in a one off game against Kilmacud. But they now have three Longford titles in a row and had five players on the Longford team that beat Meath in the championship last year.

They did not appear completely out of the blue as people seem to be implying.
    However, this must be balanced by pointing out that Kilmacud were poor against Portlaoise, they were lucky to beat Portlaoise. And this year was Kilmacud's first venture outside Dublin since 2010.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I don’t listen to the show much anymore but hats off to the lad that was interviewing Giles there. He managed to bring a bit of life and fun out of Giles...it was good listening although he was a bit loose with the questions and Giles hadn’t a clue about some of the questions, Giles is sharp as it gets with spoofing when he needs to be. Reckless challenge he hadn’t a breeze about and admits as much but then comes out with “I think he went for the ball, I may be right or I may be wrong”...or I may not have a f*cking clue about the question.

sightband wrote: »
    I think you could be right and that is very depressing.

Why is that depressing?

redbuck wrote: »
    Why is that depressing?

Because in my ripe old age of mid forties I’ve grown up with Irish sports stars, team and individual who were globally recognised in their sport. Rugby, like it or not is not a popular sport internationally, it’s pretty much us, UK and the commonwealth and its very much an elitist sport limited to those that can afford to play it or be around those that play it. We’ve one guy in a team sport which is not all that popular and let’s be honest, the majority of people haven’t a breeze who he is or anything about the sport. This has not been the case in Irish sport for quite some time and he may be our top man at the moment. It’s very depressing.

• Advertisement

Because in my ripe old age of mid forties I’ve grown up with Irish sports stars, team and individual who were globally recognised in their sport. Rugby, like it or not is not a popular sport internationally, it’s pretty much us, UK and the commonwealth and its very much an elitist sport limited to those that can afford to play it or be around those that play it. We’ve one guy in a team sport which is not all that popular and let’s be honest, the majority of people haven’t a breeze who he is or anything about the sport. This has not been the case in Irish sport for quite some time and he may be our top man at the moment. It’s very depressing.

I think you are being a bit hard on rugby. It is growing in popularity and while fee paying schools dominate at this point, that is largely a legacy thing.

It has a strong claim to being the most popular sport in Limerick City. That could hardly be called elitist.

In terms of our biggest sports star at this point in time. We do quite well given our population size. I'd rather Johnny flying the flag for the country than a certain other lad who is unquestionably more recognized worldwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I think you are being a bit hard on rugby. It is growing in popularity and while fee paying schools dominate at this point, that is largely a legacy thing.

It has a strong claim to being the most popular sport in Limerick City. That could hardly be called elitist.

In terms of our biggest sports star at this point in time. We do quite well given our population size. I'd rather Johnny flying the flag for the country than a certain other lad who is unquestionably more recognized worldwide.

He's not though, he's flying this thing.

irish-rugby-flag-std.jpg

Patww79 wrote: »
    He's not though, he's flying this thing.

Hey, if you want to think he is not representing the country well because we have a 32 county team but not a 32 county country, then you do that.

I avoided mcgregor deliberately as I was quoting you and it was based on international representation, team or individual, he doesn’t represent Ireland in any discipline as far as I know. I totally disagree with anyone saying rugby is growing in popularity anywhere. We can go down viewership figures and the value of contracts if you want but that’s probably for another thread. But trust me it’s not. My point was, we used have men and women internationally recognised for decades in athletics and football and now, as you said yourself our top star is probably Sexton in a very limited sport in terms of viewership and players...as I said very few would know who he is.

I avoided mcgregor deliberately as I was quoting you and it was based on international representation, team or individual, he doesn’t represent Ireland in any discipline as far as I know. I totally disagree with anyone saying rugby is growing in popularity anywhere. We can go down viewership figures and the value of contracts if you want but that’s probably for another thread. But trust me it’s not. My point was, we used have men and women internationally recognised for decades in athletics and football and now, as you said yourself our top star is probably Sexton in a very limited sport in terms of viewership and players...as I said very few would know who he is.

I’d imagine 90% of kids in Ireland know who Johnny Sexton is.

redbuck wrote: »
    I’d imagine 90% of kids in Ireland know who Johnny Sexton is.

I’d imagine your 90% could be true but you’ve 100% missed my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Do you really think rugby is ahead of soccer and hurling in Limerick City? Seriously??

Do you really think rugby is ahead of soccer and hurling in Limerick City? Seriously??

I think it has a strong claim. I'm not saying that it is definitely ahead of the rest. But Limerick has a lot of Rugby clubs for it's size.

When you say soccer? Are you talking about local participation attendance at games or followers of EPL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Junior soccer in limerick is massive I would say second only to Dublin. NAP are the club hurling champions and Limerick are the current AI champions. I would put rugby behind both for participation and interest. Maybe someone from limerick could verify this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭fire_man

I don’t listen to the show much anymore but hats off to the lad that was interviewing Giles there. He managed to bring a bit of life and fun out of Giles...it was good listening although he was a bit loose with the questions and Giles hadn’t a clue about some of the questions, Giles is sharp as it gets with spoofing when he needs to be. Reckless challenge he hadn’t a breeze about and admits as much but then comes out with “I think he went for the ball, I may be right or I may be wrong”...or I may not have a f*cking clue about the question.

I was listening to Giles too.He was very poor.Hadnt a clue and making it up as he went along.

• Advertisement

I’d imagine your 90% could be true but you’ve 100% missed my point.

Personally I don’t think Roy Keane was globally that well known or Sonia O’Sullivan for that matter.

If I was to hazard a guess I’d reckon Rory McIlroy is probably the most well known Irish athlete globally.

I think it has a strong claim. I'm not saying that it is definitely ahead of the rest. But Limerick has a lot of Rugby clubs for it's size.

When you say soccer? Are you talking about local participation attendance at games or followers of EPL?
    Junior soccer in limerick is massive I would say second only to Dublin. NAP are the club hurling champions and Limerick are the current AI champions. I would put rugby behind both for participation and interest. Maybe someone from limerick could verify this.
    Limerick man here.
    Rugby is not the most popular sport in Limerick, nor can it have a strong claim to it.
    I wouldn't even say Limerick has a lot of Rugby clubs for its size, there's three clubs which cover the entirety of West Limerick and patches of Kerry and a pocket of them in the city and that's about it.
    Junior Soccer is king in Limerick.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think rugby can be compared to the NFL in America in that they're both watched a lot more than they're played.

Football and Gaelic Football are by the far the two most played, and popular, sports in Ireland.

When you look at the most watched shows in Ireland though rugby games regularly make the top 20.

Last year's top 20 watched on TV were

000f33fe-614.jpg?ratio=2.33

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Limerick man here.
    Rugby is not the most popular sport in Limerick, nor can it have a strong claim to it.
    I wouldn't even say Limerick has a lot of Rugby clubs for its size, there's three clubs which cover the entirety of West Limerick and patches of Kerry and a pocket of them in the city and that's about it.
    Junior Soccer is king in Limerick.

You forgot hurling.

Soccer may be strong at local club level but it has not established itself like a Cork City or a Sligo Rovers in terms of importance in the region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Christ! these digs and resentments about rugby and constantly trying to 'put it in its place' are really tiresome.
    We get it, some of you, resent the coverage it gets, resent its supposed elitism and don't think it compares favourably in any way to GAA,Soccer etc. Oh and you're some kind of turncoat 'west Brit' if you happen to watch, play or enjoy it.

It's just sport at the end of the day, it probably shouldn't make you angry or 'depressed'!

It's just sport at the end of the day, it probably shouldn't make you angry or 'depressed'!

Yes, that’s exactly what I said, I said rugby made me depressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

fire_man wrote: »
    I was listening to Giles too.He was very poor.Hadnt a clue and making it up as he went along.

Thursday night 7.30 with John Giles....I switch stations. Honestly nice guy but he is simply a spoofer. Would prefer if they gave someone else the slot or just done away with it. It's currently lazy radio that fills a 30 min gap on a Thursday night each week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Thursday night 7.30 with John Giles....I switch stations. Honestly nice guy but he is simply a spoofer. Would prefer if they gave someone else the slot or just done away with it. It's currently lazy radio that fills a 30 min gap on a Thursday night each week.

How do you sack that man though?

In fairness, news talk and off the ball have a certain penchant for sacking people. I don’t think they would find it too hard but I hear what you’re saying. They’d sack Santa on Xmas eve if they had to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Yes, that’s exactly what I said, I said rugby made me depressed.

I didn't say you did. You went to great lengths though; to explain where you see rugby in some kind of hierarchy of sports and lament that Johnny Sexton could be described as possibly our most well known sportsperson. That he might be ' depresses' you apparently. Oh the horror!
    Maybe he is, maybe he is not. So bloody what!

You forgot hurling.

Soccer may be strong at local club level but it has not established itself like a Cork City or a Sligo Rovers in terms of importance in the region.
    Nevertheless, I'm telling you here and now that soccer is king in Limerick regardless of how good, bad or otherwise Limerick FC are doing.

The reason that Limerick FC aren't doing well is because Junior soccer is so strong. Junior players refuse to play for Limerick.

Nevertheless, I'm telling you here and now that soccer is king in Limerick regardless of how good, bad or otherwise Limerick FC are doing.

The reason that Limerick FC aren't doing well is because Junior soccer is so strong. Junior players refuse to play for Limerick.

There are 6 Rugby clubs in Limerick which play competitions on a national level. That in itself is an indication of a fair amount of interest for a city of its size.

Maybe junior soccer is more popular but the original point still stands that rugby is popular in a non-elite area such as limerick city. (And I say that with absolutely no intent to be derogatory to Limerick. I lived there myself for years and still shop and socialise there from time to time).

Good to see all sports whether hurling, rugby or junior soccer doing well. Kudos to JP McManus for any part his sporting limerick initiative played in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

I hate this battle of the sports thing. There are so many measures of a sports popularity that anyone can claim to be the most popular on a given metric. Rugby doesn’t, and never will, have large playing numbers here because you get your arse kicked around once a week and if you are a plumber who needs his hands for work and has two mouths to feed at home, one leg in a cast isn’t going to pay the bills. Soccer is more sensible in that case and numbers reflect it. Bums on seats tell a different story. Irish soccer is on its knees while tickets for the rugby change hands for thousands for the big matches. GAA remains part of the national DNA but the EPL is omnipresent. Anyone can make a viable claim but who really gives a ****? Seriously? Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I think rugby can be compared to the NFL in America in that they're both watched a lot more than they're played.

Football and Gaelic Football are by the far the two most played, and popular, sports in Ireland.

When you look at the most watched shows in Ireland though rugby games regularly make the top 20.

Last year's top 20 watched on TV were

000f33fe-614.jpg?ratio=2.33

With American Football though it's impossible to play into adulthood as an amateur. Most careers end at 18 after High School.

Rugby has a host of different playing levels available to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

I finally deleted all OTB podcasts from my phone today, the paper review being the last remaining show I’d dare listen too before today. Half way through, I just couldn’t listen to any more. The faux, unwarranted, concern for players who love playing the very physical sport of rugby, the fascination with the mundane details of useless interviews.....it’s just become too much and is not entertaining. What’s also crept in is an element reminiscent of a journal union AGM. Weekly, hacks complain about lack of access to athletes for interviews and lack of space to write x thousand word pieces and other industry-specific complaints that hold no interest for the sports fan. This has become a show by journalists for journalists and is absolute pants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

RTE did.

Ger Gilroy could write his knowledge of Sport on the back of a postcard.

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/1075792695149412352?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Ger Gilroy could write his knowledge of Sport on the back of a postcard, D4 prat.

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/1075792695149412352?s=19

Jesus Christ on a bike that’s bad. Actually embarrassingly bad, and they thought it was a good idea to tweet this as a way of promoting the show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Ger is the quintessential modern Irish broadcaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Ger is the quintessential modern Irish broadcaster.

The other two are just as bad for not calling him out on it even though they clearly disagree. What a trio of spineless twats.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement