Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

That's Johnny Ward. Not a fan either. But he was interesting tonight when speaking about the GAA. Those bland GAA interviews really do my head in, particularly listening to Jim Gavin

He really gave it to Liam Sheedy for earning from the media last year with his work on the Sunday Game and to now instruct his players that they cannot discuss Tipperary with the media in January.

He has a point. Can't see why managers want to turn the media against them like that.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Who are these lads that are the reserves for joe and ger. I think one of them is Nathan but the others are ****e. Awful bogger accent (have a bogger one myself but listening to it on radio is horrible). Turn it off when I hear it's not Joe/Ger

I'd rather listen to Johnny Ward over Ger Gilroy any day of the week. Doesn't take himself too seriously and always has an interesting story or two. I think it's refreshing to hear someone who doesn't speak with a made up broadcasting voice that could be from anywhere.

I'd rather listen to Johnny Ward over Ger Gilroy any day of the week. Doesn't take himself too seriously and always has an interesting story or two.

The interview with Stephen O'Donnell was very good but Johnny needed to listen to what Stephen was telling him.

Johnny was adamant that Stephen could/should have played for Ireland and Stephen was telling him that honestly, he could see he wasn't at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

I'd rather listen to Johnny Ward over Ger Gilroy any day of the week. Doesn't take himself too seriously and always has an interesting story or two. I think it's refreshing to hear someone who doesn't speak with a made up broadcasting voice that could be from anywhere.

I think they're lining him up as the new Wooly.

The interview with Stephen O'Donnell was very good but Johnny needed to listen to what Stephen was telling him.

Johnny was adamant that Stephen could/should have played for Ireland and Stephen was telling him that honestly, he could see he wasn't at that level.

Johnny and SO'D are very good friends. Having seen SO'D play for Dundalk many times and look really comfortable against good teams in Europe, Johnny has a point about him being able to play at a higher level, but I doubt he was good enough to play for Ireland. That being said, there are guys with Ireland caps who are not as good as SO'D in my opinion.

redbuck wrote: »
    I think they're lining him up as the new Wooly.

I know Johnny and he is nothing like Wooly. He's a very affable guy who gets on well with most people, though he does seem to spark a few controversies from time to time.

I know Johnny and he is nothing like Wooly. He's a very affable guy who gets on well with most people, though he does seem to spark a few controversies from time to time.

He gets fairly passionate about some topics. In that way he is similar to Wooly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I like Parkinson but hopefully Ward is a bit more reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Who are these lads that are the reserves for joe and ger. I think one of them is Nathan but the others are ****e. Awful bogger accent (have a bogger one myself but listening to it on radio is horrible). Turn it off when I hear it's not Joe/Ger
    Would have good time for Johnny Ward, very knowledgeable and interesting. Enjoyed him on tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Self hating bogger alert.

A lot of these ****ers around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

He speaks too fast and too loud. Not sure how he got on the radio, must be great buddies with someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Tuned in last night for 1st time in ages......and got Giles waffling on about Leeds in the 70s again.

Sweet Jesus, why do they persist with those conversations every week?

And I'm out again for another few months.

Aren't you from Meath?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Would have good time for Johnny Ward, very knowledgeable and interesting. Enjoyed him on tonight.
    He's the best of all the guests/presenters they get on. He's a shocking punter though, never back on of his horse 'tips', he falls for the hype every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

When Burnley went a goal up on Liverpool early in the 2nd half on December 5th, Johnny went and awarded the League title to Man City. A half hour later, Liverpool had won 3-1. 3 weeks later Liverpool were 7 points ahead of Man City.

So I for one hope he isnt very knowledgeable:D

• Advertisement

BPKS wrote: »
    When Burnley went a goal up on Liverpool early in the 2nd half on December 5th, Johnny went and awarded the League title to Man City. A half hour later, Liverpool had won 3-1. 3 weeks later Liverpool were 7 points ahead of Man City.

So I for one hope he isnt very knowledgeable:D
    City will win the title.

Johnny gets a bit excited at times but in fairness his love of sport is probably half the reason for that. He's not afraid to say it how it is, which is probably what led to so much controversy over his comments on both Cork City and Dundalk (particularly Pat Hoban) last year.

Who's worse though, Jamie Moore or Ger Gilroy?

Just to show I'm not entirely miserable, I think Joe Molloy is brilliant and enjoy Johnny Ward (as mentioned) and Eoin Sheehan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

This stuff really annoyed me as well. Like the other night with the Liverpool v City game. "Oh if Liverpool win, then the league is definitely over". Absolute nonsense. With the three points for a win system, this can change really quickly as we've seen in the past, but to try to sell the game to us they boost it's significance.

This stuff really annoyed me as well. Like the other night with the Liverpool v City game. "Oh if Liverpool win, then the league is definitely over". Absolute nonsense. With the three points for a win system, this can change really quickly as we've seen in the past, but to try to sell the game to us they boost it's significance.

Yeah bit to be fair, if Liverpool had won that, they'd still have been unbeaten and had a ten point lead. This would have meant an unbeaten side would have had to lose at least twice probably and draw a further 4 games out of 18 to see their advantage overcome.

That would have been very unlikely.

Who's worse though, Jamie Moore or Ger Gilroy?

Just to show I'm not entirely miserable, I think Joe Molloy is brilliant and enjoy Johnny Ward (as mentioned) and Eoin Sheehan.

Gilroy's smugness and self satisfaction is hard to take.

With regard to Joe Molloy, he's an excellent broadcaster. Makes what he does sound very easy and smooth, which it definitely isn't. I do get a sense off him, though, that he's not really into sport in a huge way. He's not passionate about it. He can easily hold a conversation about most topics but other than golf, I get the sense he'd be as happy talking about something else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

NIMAN wrote: »
    Tuned in last night for 1st time in ages......and got Giles waffling on about Leeds in the 70s again.

Sweet Jesus, why do they persist with those conversations every week?

And I'm out again for another few months.

I quite like those conversations. I can understand why others wouldn't but equally there's an hour of football talk later in the show that would cater for a different style of discussion.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I quite like those conversations. I can understand why others wouldn't but equally there's an hour of football talk later in the show that would cater for a different style of discussion.

I enjoy Giles. Even though he mentions Leeds a lot, it's usually relevant to the conversation.

Not sure I agreed with his view Thursday night that the big clubs will be looking at Seamus Coleman now given that he had fallen out of favour at Everton for a period.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Anytime he's on with Dunphy, Leeds barely gets mentioned, Nathan brought him down that road this week, not sure how Giles is supposed to react to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

With regard to Joe Molloy, he's an excellent broadcaster. Makes what he does sound very easy and smooth, which it definitely isn't. I do get a sense off him, though, that he's not really into sport in a huge way. He's not passionate about it. He can easily hold a conversation about most topics but other than golf, I get the sense he'd be as happy talking about something else.

Making it sound easy doesn't come by accident. Whether he is into a certain sport or not he never deserts his professional responsibility as a broadcaster. He is meticulously researched and as a listener that is the least you can ask for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Jackman a radio dead weight on the paper review. The other guy was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Jackman a radio dead weight on the paper review. The other guy was good.

Upskilling, process, execution, Laissez-faire.

It’s like the Smurfit school of business.

Aidric wrote: »
    Making it sound easy doesn't come by accident. Whether he is into a certain sport or not he never deserts his professional responsibility as a broadcaster. He is meticulously researched and as a listener that is the least you can ask for.

I don't disagree with you one bit. In fact, if you think of a lot of the good or great broadcasters, they are the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭gluppers

Any idea why Richie disappeared off Twitter?

He use to be a quality tweeter

gluppers wrote: »
    Any idea why Richie disappeared off Twitter?

He use to be a quality tweeter

Think it was around the time of the furore/mirth over the Irish fans laughing at/with the ladies exiting the Ann Summers shop and how they were embarrassed/entertained.

I could be wrong but I think the events were linked. Don't know why he picked that fight.

I wonder what would his dream job be? Would it be a regular host on OTB or hosting the Tom Dunne show. He seems quite good at that and much more interested than he does on sport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Cockford Ollie

Joe has a hard on expressing his outrage over the Zebo incident. Nice social justice topic for the show to latch onto and fill the minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Joe has a hard on expressing his outrage over the Zebo incident. Nice social justice topic for the show to latch onto and fill the minutes.

Trying to to dismiss it as a "nice social justice topic" says a lot more about you than it does Joe Molloy. There was nothing wrong with the way the story was handled.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

So you have a problem with a presenters of a sports show discussing a potential incident whereby an Irish international rugby player was allegedly racially abused?

People love having a go for the sake of having a go, don’t they?

Ahwell wrote: »
    Trying to to dismiss it as a "nice social justice topic" says a lot more about you than it does Joe Molloy. There was nothing wrong with the way the story was handled.

I see what the poster is saying though. The chance to virtue signal always seem to take priority over the actual sport. The have a tendency to go looking for social justice causes, and then the presenters comment one by one, each one being more offended than the next. Then it becomes a morality competition between them.

Just finished watching Sunderland Til I Die last night, on the recommendation of the OTB guys. Thought it was amazing. Beautifully shot and captivating. I always wonder about how wise it is to let cameras in to the dressing room though. What the f**k was Gibson thinking though. They had just won 4-0 and spirits were high, and he goes drink driving and takes out a load of cars - the club lets him go, and they lose the next few games.

Was pretty shocked by the fans though. I know that they may have been playing it up for the cameras, but what a bunch of animals. The levels of abuse the players had to take was just ridiculous. I guess Gilroy would call them the "BREXIT down the stadium of light" gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yeah it's very well done.
    Miserable oul kip though isn't it.

I'm beginning to understand why everyone in the rest of England hates the north.

A bit like us and our own country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Think it was around the time of the furore/mirth over the Irish fans laughing at/with the ladies exiting the Ann Summers shop and how they were embarrassed/entertained.

I could be wrong but I think the events were linked. Don't know why he picked that fight.

I wonder what would his dream job be? Would it be a regular host on OTB or hosting the Tom Dunne show. He seems quite good at that and much more interested than he does on sport.
    probably a mix of the two, like what he used to do on Phantom with Richie Ryan at the weekends, presenting sports updates while playing good music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Yeah it's very well done.
    Miserable oul kip though isn't it.

I'm beginning to understand why everyone in the rest of England hates the north.

A bit like us and our own country.

You mean everybody in London, Berkshire, Sussex, Essex etc. hate the north.

On another note, I assume Joe will be a big fan of the Gillette ad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

On another note, I assume Joe will be a big fan of the Gillette ad

Hardly relevant? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Ahwell

I see what the poster is saying though. The chance to virtue signal always seem to take priority over the actual sport. The have a tendency to go looking for social justice causes, and then the presenters comment one by one, each one being more offended than the next. Then it becomes a morality competition between them.

They didn't have to go looking for the story. Racing released a statement just as they where coming on air. An Irish international being racially abused in a rugby stadium in one of the four Provinces is newsworthy. A story you would fully expect a sports show to cover. From the inception of OTB, those in the studio during the newsround comment on the stories of the day. Other than what they said, what else would you expect them to say? Condemning racially abused is not "virtue signalling". So no, I can't "see what the poster is saying".

• Advertisement

Just finished watching Sunderland Til I Die last night, on the recommendation of the OTB guys. Thought it was amazing. Beautifully shot and captivating. I always wonder about how wise it is to let cameras in to the dressing room though. What the f**k was Gibson thinking though. They had just won 4-0 and spirits were high, and he goes drink driving and takes out a load of cars - the club lets him go, and they lose the next few games.

Was pretty shocked by the fans though. I know that they may have been playing it up for the cameras, but what a bunch of animals. The levels of abuse the players had to take was just ridiculous. I guess Gilroy would call them the "BREXIT down the stadium of light" gang.

Did anyone else notice some of the strange editing in the first few episodes? They clearly ran out of general shots as it would be in August and roasting and they would cut to a crowd shot with all of the fans wearing hats and gloves. There were plenty of weird shots like that.

With regard to Gibson, I have a little bit of sympathy for him. He was injured at the time of the drink driving incident and was not in the frame. His whole career has been blighted by injuries and never really took off. Having played in two Champions League semi-finals with Utd to wasting away his days on treatment tables and being dismissed as a has been must be hard.

People may dismiss that and point out all the things football has given him in terms of wealth, but being constantly injured can have a hugely damaging effect on sportspeople. Apart from the moronic incident with the fans and the awful drink driving, he actually struck me as a thoughtful enough person in the interviews they did with him.

GAA Football panel discussion was good tonight. At least the bit I heard, didn't get all of it.
    Micheal O'Mhuirceartaigh is an iconic figure in Irish GAA. Definitely my most favourite commentator across all sports.

GAA Football panel discussion was good tonight. At least the bit I heard, didn't get all of it. Micheal O'Mhuirceartaigh is an iconic figure in Irish GAA. Definitely my most favourite commentator across all sports.

I thought it was a little bit awkward, seemed to be no flow to it or banter. That BJ Keane is some dose. The conversation and microphone should have been directed more towards the other two.

Didn't seem to have the same sort of "laugh at anything at all" audience that the rugby shows generally get.

I thought it was a little bit awkward, seemed to be no flow to it or banter. That BJ Keane is some dose. The conversation and microphone should have been directed more towards the other two.

Didn't seem to have the same sort of "laugh at anything at all" audience that the rugby shows generally get.

Which is a good thing.

I didn't hear Billy Keane much.
    Story from Kerry lady at end about winning 9 All Irelands in a row and returning to Kerry on the train after winning one of them only to have been locked in to the station because no one was thinking about them was fairly bleak.

So much for welcome home parties!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭monstermag

Speaking of music I myself changed the dial over Christmas much to the relief of my wife and kids, l had them driven around the bend listening to talk radio. Been listening to more music orientated stations, rekindled my love of music, l do slip the odd time and tune back into OTB just to catch up. A bit of everything in moderation.
    I must say anytime Richie stands in for Tom Dunne, he's been really good, really knows his stuff, seems to be in his element playing music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I enjoyed the interview with the FAI's doctor last night.

• Advertisement

I enjoyed the interview with the FAI's doctor last night.
    Heard it was good, must give a listen.

Lately I'm growing tired of how they feel like they have to talk about Spygate or the GAA rule changes every single day.

Which is a good thing.

I didn't hear Billy Keane much.
    Story from Kerry lady at end about winning 9 All Irelands in a row and returning to Kerry on the train after winning one of them only to have been locked in to the station because no one was thinking about them was fairly bleak.

So much for welcome home parties!

General public, both men & women, just don't seem to give a hoot about ladies football.

It's very sad.

Did anyone else notice some of the strange editing in the first few episodes? They clearly ran out of general shots as it would be in August and roasting and they would cut to a crowd shot with all of the fans wearing hats and gloves. There were plenty of weird shots like that.

With regard to Gibson, I have a little bit of sympathy for him. He was injured at the time of the drink driving incident and was not in the frame. His whole career has been blighted by injuries and never really took off. Having played in two Champions League semi-finals with Utd to wasting away his days on treatment tables and being dismissed as a has been must be hard.

People may dismiss that and point out all the things football has given him in terms of wealth, but being constantly injured can have a hugely damaging effect on sportspeople. Apart from the moronic incident with the fans and the awful drink driving, he actually struck me as a thoughtful enough person in the interviews they did with him.

The taxi driver guy has stated that they were feeding him lines to say in certain scenes. (not all)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

General public, both men & women, just don't seem to give a hoot about ladies football.

It's very sad.

Why would they?

It's very sad.

Interest, participation and attendance is growing. Slowly but it is happening.
    It's a worldwide wthing. Female team field sports are growing.

Womens AFL is in its second season in Australia.
    Manchester united founded a professional womens team just 8 months ago.
    England have awarded their womens team with full professional contracts for the first time just this month.

I think the ladies football has increased from where it was with many teams now having a fulfillment of coaches and support staff akin to the men which was not there in the past.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement