Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Does he still say the word football 3 or 4 times a sentence? Him abd Andrews were brutal at it.

ah ha yeah, but you see when it's pointed out to them they change what they say. He never says "at this particular moment in time" any more since it was mocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Have to say, I didn't like him at the start, but I'm starting to enjoy Kenny Cunningham on the show. He is probably the only one that is himself on the show. He's quite funny as well.

He's way funnier than I thought he would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

He definitely can't say the word club with preceding it with the word football anyway.

He still lives in London doesn't he? I wonder does he came back to Ireland once a week or so purely for the show?

Kilbane is really only an occasional presenter now it seems, Kenny is probably on more often than him.

Kilbane does commentary on Newstalk, punditry on Virgin, interviews for Match of the Day and I assume has a few other gigs as well. He's a very busy man in fairness to him. I agree with the poster above that Kenny is also very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Kennys great, always enjoy him.

Does Stephen Hunt be on much now? Can’t recall hearing him in awhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

redbuck wrote: »
    Kennys great, always enjoy him.

Does Stephen Hunt be on much now? Can’t recall hearing him in awhile.

Haven't heard him in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

Kilbane does commentary on Newstalk, punditry on Virgin, interviews for Match of the Day and I assume has a few other gigs as well. He's a very busy man in fairness to him. I agree with the poster above that Kenny is also very good.

Seems like a natural, very listenable to and likeable although just seems so bland, as do most of them in his role. Can’t recall anything that he has said that has struck a chord negatively or positively. Just nice and boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Was John Delaney on the Sunday Paper review this week?

Re : Vunipola discussion.

Could have been an interesting discussion with a different panel but Off the Ball don't want to have a discussion on their sacred cows.

Was John Delaney on the Sunday Paper review this week?

Just listening to it now, they are talking about how FAI money was paid to an ex girlfriend of Delaney's and they are questioning that. The woman in question says that she never received the money. Unusual. Another story by Mark Tighe.

Re : Vunipola discussion. Could have been an interesting discussion with a different panel but Off the Ball don't want to have a discussion on their sacred cows.

I think it would have been the same discussion no matter what panel they had on. I mean, it was hardly likely that any journalist was going to come on the show and say that Vunipola was entitled to his opinion. They would have been hounded out of their job before they had left the studio.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I think it would have been the same discussion no matter what panel they had on. I mean, it was hardly likely that any journalist was going to come on the show and say that Vunipola was entitled to his opinion. They would have been hounded out of their job before they had left the studio.

I think the consensus is that Vunipola is entitled to his view.

However, so is everybody else. Freedom of speech works both ways lads. People are very much entitled to say Vunipola’s stance is homophobic.

There's an interview on the Newstalk Website of Susan Keogh speaking to Maire Threasa Ni Cheallaigh.
    She's currently sitting exams for year one of studying medicine.

She has worked with TG4, RNaG, RTE, Eir, Newstalk, has a Masters in Sports Psychology and will hopefully be a full medical Dr in 3 years time. I didn't know she had the MSc in Sports Pyschology but it makes sense as she often had good insight in to the mental part of the game when talking on various panel discussions.

That's an impressive CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Are the lads on air 24/7? I’ve just seen on twitter they are discussing Man Utd and then Leeds bottling it. Both of which were discussed on OTBam this morning. Surely there’s only so much you can talk about. Having said that if there’s a market for it.. I can’t really say much I’ve listened to bits of the OTBam .. but surely they’re overdoing it?

Faugheen wrote: »
    I think the consensus is that Vunipola is entitled to his view.

However, so is everybody else. Freedom of speech works both ways lads. People are very much entitled to say Vunipola’s stance is homophobic.

I think the media and especially homosexuals like Gareth Thomas and Nigel Owens need to get off the stage.

Their time has gone. It is the time of the transsexual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I had to laugh last night when the show started and Kieran Cuningham said he would leave the country if it was a Kerry - Dublin AI Final this year because of the nostalgia-fest that it would cause. They mentioned Liverpool being held back by stories of Bill Shankley etc and said that nostalgia was seen as a disorder in the 19th century.

About 15 minutes later they advertised this:

https://www.offtheball.com/events/off-ball-will-live-aviva-stadium-2nd-may-liverpool-special-want-join-us-848972

Consistency lads, consistency!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

BPKS wrote: »
    I had to laugh last night when the show started and Kieran Cuningham said he would leave the country if it was a Kerry - Dublin AI Final this year because of the nostalgia-fest that it would cause. They mentioned Liverpool being held back by stories of Bill Shankley etc and said that nostalgia was seen as a disorder in the 19th century.

About 15 minutes later they advertised this:

https://www.offtheball.com/events/off-ball-will-live-aviva-stadium-2nd-may-liverpool-special-want-join-us-848972

Consistency lads, consistency!

They did say their live shows are basically nostalgia shows

DJ Carey was on with Nathan last night discussing his role with the Kilkenny minor football team.
    This is the team that got beaten by 70 points in a Leinster Championship game and didn't play in the championship since then until this year. They got beaten by Louth but only by 6 points.

I thought it was an excellent piece. Spoke about the need to build confidence in young sports people whatever the sport and how even though they got beaten, they walked off with their heads held high as opposed to never wanting to play the sport again.

He is also involved with Kilkenny U21's and 3 teams in his local club. Very interesting guy to listen to about the value and purpose of sport and the challenges of weaker sports in whatever location.

Their going to be taking the p*ss out of Eoin Sheehan for a while.
    He appeared on some local TV station in the states at the NFL draft on Thursday. Clearly had been partaking in liquid refreshment.
    He has already tweeted that he is never going to come home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

DJ Carey was on with Nathan last night discussing his role with the Kilkenny minor football team.
    This is the team that got beaten by 70 points in a Leinster Championship game and didn't play in the championship since then until this year. They got beaten by Louth but only by 6 points.

I thought it was an excellent piece. Spoke about the need to build confidence in young sports people whatever the sport and how even though they got beaten, they walked off with their heads held high as opposed to never wanting to play the sport again.

He is also involved with Kilkenny U21's and 3 teams in his local club. Very interesting guy to listen to about the value and purpose of sport and the challenges of weaker sports in whatever location.

Must download that one. Parkinson had him on too and he was good but on the bloody phone so it was brutal sound. Was he in the studio on OtB?

Their going to be taking the p*ss out of Eoin Sheehan for a while.
    He appeared on some local TV station in the states at the NFL draft on Thursday. Clearly had been partaking in liquid refreshment.
    He has already tweeted that he is never going to come home.

That clip is halarious.

Did he really go on a holiday to coincide with the NFL draft!

I only realised after I saw him in that video that I got in an argument cos of Eoin at a football match once, I was sticking up for him!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

It's a shame that the better hosts like Joe Molloy interview bumbling imbecile bog ballers and stick fighters while League of Ireland footballers are interviewed by Captain Jackeen Jamie Moore.

It's a shame that the better hosts like Joe Molloy interview bumbling imbecile bog ballers and stick fighters while League of Ireland footballers are interviewed by Captain Jackeen Jamie Moore.

I don't like moaning about presenters, but Jamie Moore is very green and is hard to listen to on the LOI podcast. Overall, though, it's great to see coverage of the LOI seeping naturally into the show - they just cover big games and the league overall normally now instead of in designated slots late in the show. I remember a few years ago, there was a snobbishness to the LOI and can recall Joe making a big deal of going to his first game - Dundalk v Pats in Inchicore in 2016, which he was sitting next to me at and was genuinely taken aback at how good Dundalk were. Seems the tone has changed since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Elmer Jones

Probably because very few people are interested in the LOI in this country so why send the big names out to interviews with players when nobody apart from a small group of hard core fans care about it.The vast majority of soccer fans in this country arent even interested in it.

I know it's early, but Donaghy is starting to annoy. Granted that's not difficult to do, but it's started early even for me.

Kenny Cunningham funny this morning. They put the big tactics board in front of him and said "Okay Kenny what do you want to show us today?" and Kenny says "I don't know what do want me to show you about. I just arrived in here and ye pulled out the board".

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I like Donaghy. He likes football but he doesn’t have a complete grá for it, so is happy to point out the faults within the GAA and it’s various procedures like drinking bans etc.

Probably because very few people are interested in the LOI in this country so why send the big names out to interviews with players when nobody apart from a small group of hard core fans care about it.The vast majority of soccer fans in this country arent even interested in it.

Been following LOI for 25 years and this is the first time I can genuinely say that the attitude towards the LOI is changing - both in the media and amongst the public.

The biggest change in attitude is down to the globalisation of English football and the fact that there are far fewer chances for players to either go over or to make it in England now. Also, talented players are choosing to stay in Ireland to finish school rather than going down the YTS lottery route from a young age. The upshot is that standards in the LOI have never been higher and are improving all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

I wish the LOI well, often go to local games. Your attitude will not help gain new fans though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

I wish the LOI well, often go to local games. Your attitude will not help gain new fans though.

Agreed, its possible to champion your own sport without sh1tting all over other sports that people might like

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Kenny Cunningham has become my favourite contributor. Knows his stuff and can be very funny without necessarily meaning to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Murdoc90 wrote: »
    Kenny Cunningham has become my favourite contributor. Knows his stuff and can be very funny without necessarily meaning to be.
    Agree, he has grown on me a lot, to the extent that I find myself tuning back into OTB lately. I had completely given up on the show a while ago due to some of the PC nonsense they seem to be embracing. But when they stick to what's happening on the field of play, Kenny - in particular - is very good.

They have an ex AA roadwatch girl doing the sports bulletins after the news now

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Agree, he has grown on me a lot, to the extent that I find myself tuning back into OTB lately. I had completely given up on the show a while ago due to some of the PC nonsense they seem to be embracing. But when they stick to what's happening on the field of play, Kenny - in particular - is very good.

Do you ever get the impression that Kenny doesn't like the OTB lads?

Seems to get really irritated by Joe in particular at times.

I think that is probably why I like him :pac:
    He doesn't follow the PC line that the other's all invariably take, and understands the nuances of how things work in real life instead of adjudicating on everything based on sex or race. I do get the same feeling that a lot of the time he feels like saying "Ah jaysus lads, would you ever f**k off", when they are baiting him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Am loving Kenny too - he just says how he sees it & questions things. Like the other morning they were talking about Ruby & he didn't quiet get it what it felt like until he listened to Davy Russell explain the way that Ruby rode - so rather than just agreeing, he said no and then said he understood Ruby's style

Like Kerr - Kenny does not suffer fools lightly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Ya, all the time. Like one of the other posters alluded to, that's part of his appeal for me. He does seem to get on well with Nathan though.

I've noticed that too, Joe sometimes has this smug tone about him, and I get the impression that he isn't massively interested in soccer, which Kenny obviously loves. That's just my take on it anyway, maybe there's nothing to it!

• Advertisement

Ya, all the time. Like one of the other posters alluded to, that's part of his appeal for me. He does seem to get on well with Nathan though.

I've noticed that too, Joe sometimes has this smug tone about him, and I get the impression that he isn't massively interested in soccer, which Kenny obviously loves. That's just my take on it anyway, maybe there's nothing to it!

If I was any one of the ex pros they have on, I'd find the we're-all-equals-having-the-bantz schtick that several of the presenters do very tiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

When's he on? This could get me listening again.

No, he never strikes me as someone who would do anything that he didn't want to do.

Can't imagine he is getting the sort of money from OTB that would make an ex pro footballer swallow his pride just to earn a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    When's he on? This could get me listening again.

They only bring him out on champions league nights and the odd roadshow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

BPKS wrote: »
    They have an ex AA roadwatch girl doing the sports bulletins after the news now
    ......and your point is? :confused:

• Advertisement

Just watching the OTB Roadshow which is live on YouTube. Can't believe that they have a legend like Steve McManaman on the show and then shoehorn in that Boyle Sports shill to casually talk about the odds on the games. So they attract all the viewers with the star and then leave the honeypot there to get them gambling.

Just watching the OTB Roadshow which is live on YouTube. Can't believe that they have a legend like Steve McManaman on the show and then shoehorn in that Boyle Sports shill to casually talk about the odds on the games. So they attract all the viewers with the star and then leave the honeypot there to get them gambling.

I've listened to the show a bit more than usual this week. Was starting to enjoy it again, until on the football show one night they said something like "If you have a gambling problem, switch off for the next bit", and then had yer man on trying to tempt people into gambling.

Ask me f*ckin b*llocks.

Edit: if I was even the tiniest bit interested in giving my money to a bookie, I would contact any of the many, many ones that have ads during the actual ad breaks.

Derek McGrath was on Saturday panel yesterday. Just him with Nathan for nearly an hour.
    Always like listening to him, think he is a very decent person and passionate about sport.

Derek McGrath was on Saturday panel yesterday. Just him with Nathan for nearly an hour.
    Always like listening to him, think he is a very decent person and passionate about sport.

Was there much hurling stuff or was it mostly darkness into light?

Was there much hurling stuff or was it mostly darkness into light?

Mostly hurling. Touched on problems Maurice Shanahan had and how he is not unique in that respect but majority was about the small ball.

As a person who was very critical of Cora Staunton and her actions last year, I'd just like to say that I genuinely want to wish her a speedy recovery after the horrific double leg break at the weekend. A lad in one of the local club here did something similar when he went in for a ball with a goalkeeper, and did a double leg break - it like a war injury.

I'd be thinking more along the lines of karma. Too easy to forget that she absolutely tried to destroy that man, not just his career but his personal life with thinly veiled implications. I'm sure she'll milk it well enough that it'll make her a good few bob in any case.

Very surprised to hear that they are playing pre-records tonight on one of the biggest nights of the premiership season. In fairness to them, they are always usually there on bank holidays/weekends/holidays more than any of the other NT presenters. But not tonight.

I'd be thinking more along the lines of karma. I'm sure she'll milk it well anyway.

I would have been happy with karma, like her being forced in to an apology or something like that, but this goes way beyond that.

I'd be thinking more along the lines of karma. Too easy to forget that she absolutely tried to destroy that man, not just his career but his personal life with thinly veiled implications. I'm sure she'll milk it well anyway and it'll make her a good few bob.

Gee's it takes some mind to suggest such an injury is deserved for taking a stance on something as part of a group.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement