Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I would have been happy with karma, like her being forced in to an apology or something like that, but this goes way beyond that.

Way beyond? A broken leg for a near retired player doesn't even come close to ringleading an attempt to ruin someones life because you're sour about a bit of power being taken off you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Derek McGrath was on Saturday panel yesterday. Just him with Nathan for nearly an hour.
    Always like listening to him, think he is a very decent person and passionate about sport.

I despair when I hear that these guys are teachers.

I mean basic grammar should be a prerequisite.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

I despair when I hear that these guys are teachers.

I mean basic grammar should be a prerequisite.

Unfair on McGrath there. He has a great command of the English language and speaks well. Your general point is correct though. Some players are even doing PhDs, yet come across as illiterate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

For f*ck sake.

I foolishly thought they'd keep their stomach churning betting ads to the football show.

Here I am at ten to eight and we have ad break-pretend interview "it'd be great for the premier league etc etc" to give the odds - one question for Kenny Cunningham - ad break.

As said before, it's just nausiating from the highest of high horse radio team in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    For f*ck sake.

I foolishly thought they'd keep their stomach churning betting ads to the football show.

Here I am at ten to eight and we have ad break-pretend interview "it'd be great for the premier league etc etc" to give the odds - one question for Kenny Cunningham - ad break.

As said before, it's just nausiating from the highest of high horse radio team in the world.

Text the show and tell'em. Or email. I did it on Saturday when Leon Blanche was on to say I had turned off.

Also, to be fair, I think Kenny was on since 7.

Text the show and tell'em. Or email. I did it on Saturday when Leon Blanche was on to say I had turned off.

Also, to be fair, I think Kenny was on since 7.

Yeah, I will.

I know Kenny was there already (thankfully), i'm just pointing out it was effectively three ad breaks with one actual sport question in between.

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Unfair on McGrath there. He has a great command of the English language and speaks well. Your general point is correct though. Some players are even doing PhDs, yet come across as illiterate.

McGrath comes across as a nice guy but he also talks plenty of muck in his semi-philisophical ramblings. The media - especially the likes of OTB - lap it up as he gives them a lot and the interviewers feel like they can connect with him. While he did reasonably well in his time with Waterford, I think his relationship with the national media certainly helped him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Just wondering, I didn't hear the show tonight, but I heard some of the OTBAM show this morning. The Manchester City singing fiasco was like the elephant in the room. They went through every story but not one word about this. Now, I thought that this story contained so many social justice angles that Gilroy would have been on his soap box for the entire two hours. But not mentioned at all? Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭bamayang

Don’t hear it often anymore, but anytime I do it is painful how much one of them (I think Ritchie?) seems to try and make a fool of Kevin K. Is this my imagination or is everything KK says met with condescending laughter? It’s like they forget that he’s there because he was a pro footballer, something I presume none of the others have experience of.
    Have no great love for Kilbane, but he seems to just take whatever abuse they throw at him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

bamayang wrote: »
    Don’t hear it often anymore, but anytime I do it is painful how much one of them (I think Ritchie?) seems to try and make a fool of Kevin K. Is this my imagination or is everything KK says met with condescending laughter? It’s like they forget that he’s there because he was a pro footballer, something I presume none of the others have experience of.
    Have no great love for Kilbane, but he seems to just take whatever abuse they throw at him.

It's safe to say, the presenters on the show have poor personalities.
    But the guests on the show are good, and that's the only reason to listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    It's safe to say, the presenters on the show have poor personalities.
    But the guests on the show are good, and that's the only reason to listen.

I think Nathan and Joe are very good presenters, Richie McCormack comes across very condescending and sneering along with his fellow prat Ger Gilroy.

Thankfully I don't hear Gilroy on the evening shows I listen to anymore and Richie usually only gets to do his thing in the newsround.

redbuck wrote: »
    I think Nathan and Joe are very good presenters, Richie McCormack comes across very condescending and sneering along with his fellow prat Ger Gilroy.

Thankfully I don't hear Gilroy on the evening shows I listen to anymore and Richie usually only gets to do his thing in the newsround.

Ger hasn't done an evening or weekend show (outside of Friday show) in at least 18 months.

Joe and Nathan are ahead of the rest by a distance in my book. I don't mind Ger so much but I think the other 2 just have a better style.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Ger hasn't done an evening or weekend show (outside of Friday show) in at least 18 months.

Joe and Nathan are ahead of the rest by a distance in my book. I don't mind Ger so much but I think the other 2 just have a better style.

I'm fairly sure he was doing non Friday evening shows last summer but I could be wrong.

This is what I was on about in a previous post. It feels like they are trying way too hard to let it be known that they are equals with the ex players by doing constant bantz.

Kilbane would be entitled to lose the rag with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I never liked Gilroy, but the one thing that sticks in the back of my mind that drives my rage at the prick it's his comments on the darts, particularly calling it "Brexit down the pub" and another clip where he basically complains about Rob Cross winning the world title being a fairytale story along with claiming it's not a sport

https://youtu.be/G41Bce4OVS4

https://youtu.be/nd3WdAE85oo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭bamayang

Ol' Donie wrote: »

This is what I was on about in a previous post. It feels like they are trying way too hard to let it be known that they are equals with the ex players by doing constant bantz.

Kilbane would be entitled to lose the rag with it.

I almost feel sorry for him. It’s like no one has pointed out to him “you don’t have to listen to their ****e”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I don't have real issues with any of them. Barry and Gilroy do come across as smug a times but I think when it comes to intelligent analysis Dave Mcntyre blows them all out of the water.

I don't have real issues with any of them. Barry and Gilroy do come across as smug a times but I think when it comes to intelligent analysis Dave Mcntyre blows them all out of the water.

Not today. They played a clip where he picked Basterau over Brian o'driscoll in his Heineken cup team of last ten years.

Still no mention of the Manchester City singing story? What am I missing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I never liked Gilroy, but the one thing that sticks in the back of my mind that drives my rage at the prick it's his comments on the darts, particularly calling it "Brexit down the pub" and another clip where he basically complains about Rob Cross winning the world title being a fairytale story along with claiming it's not a sport

Gilroy actually looks like a Darts player as well lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Fingal Raven1

that its not a big story

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Not today. They played a clip where he picked Basterau over Brian o'driscoll in his Heineken cup team of last ten years.

He also had Nathan Hines at 6.

They mentioned it briefly on OTBAM this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Really showed up his sneering contempt for the working classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They mentioned it briefly on OTBAM this morning.

It's a song about Liverpool's humiliation in last yrs C.L Final.

It's been very popular at the other 19 grounds this season.

I think once the media copped on to the fact that there's no connotations to Sean Cox or Hillsborough they dropped the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

It's a song about Liverpool's humiliation in last yrs C.L Final.

It's been very popular at the other 19 grounds this season.

I think once the media copped on to the fact that there's no connotations to Sean Cox or Hillsborough they dropped the story.

I agree with them giving it very little airtime. Them speculating about what the song means will only hurt people more

deisedude wrote: »
    I agree with them giving it very little airtime. Them speculating about what the song means will only hurt people more

Yeah, but the much OTB lauded Raheem Sterling is in that video. He won The Integrity and Impact Award at this year's BT Sport Industry Awards for speaking out on a range of social issues, including racism. And god they were all slapping themselves on the back about how great everybody was. And as it turns out, he's not averse to singing a few discriminatory and belittling songs about Scousers himself.

It smacks more of the whole Mayo's women team story, when they found out they were in the wrong they f**king buried the story completely.

Yeah, but the much OTB lauded Raheem Sterling is in that video. He won The Integrity and Impact Award at this year's BT Sport Industry Awards for speaking out on a range of social issues, including racism. And god they were all slapping themselves on the back about how great everybody was. And as it turns out, he's not averse to singing a few discriminatory and belittling songs about Scousers himself.

It smacks more of the whole Mayo's women team story, when they found out they were in the wrong they f**king buried the story completely.

This is more nonsense Jeremy.

Mayo girls story faded from both OTB and GAA hour party much at same rate.
    If they continued, you'd be saying they were hammering a PC drum, they stop talking about it and you interpret that as they're burying something.

Also, as you know, Mayo story ended as it started with both sides sticking to their position, quite a long way from it being proven either side was wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Ahwell

First you come out with this... "story contained so many social justice angles that Gilroy would have been on his soap box for the entire two hours"...but then, you yourself, refer to the song as..."discriminatory and belittling songs about Scousers" because it suits your Raheem Sterling/OTB bashing angle. Bit of a mixed message.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

So people are giving out because OTB aren't giving out about something that they thought OTB would give out about it because OTB gave out about something completely different a good number of months ago?

That's a new one.

• Advertisement

Ahwell wrote: »
    First you come out with this... "story contained so many social justice angles that Gilroy would have been on his soap box for the entire two hours"...but then, you yourself, refer to the song as..."discriminatory and belittling songs about Scousers" because it suits your Raheem Sterling/OTB bashing angle. Bit of a mixed message.

I am just wondering why there is no consistency with their reporting. They normally see the social justice angle in everything, so then surely they should be standing up for the Scousers and the people who were "battered in the streets" (whichever way that you want to read that statement).

They are deviating from their normal behaviour and it is this that has me curious. Why do City get a free pass on something that they would normally consider an offence worthy of at least an hour of moralising.

I am just wondering why there is no consistency with their reporting. They normally see the social justice angle in everything, so then surely they should be standing up for the Scousers and the people who were "battered in the streets" (whichever way that you want to read that statement).

They are deviating from their normal behaviour and it is this that has me curious. Why do City get a free pass on something that they would normally consider an offence worthy of at least an hour of moralising.

What their normal behavior actually is, and what you think it is are miles apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think you are kinda looking for a problem where there is none.
    You don't want to be going around like an eejit 'waiting to be offended by them getting offended'.
    Or worse making up hypothetical scenarios, that would/could cause offence to the the OTB SJW's (Gilroy, Molloy, McCormack in particular).
    You could end up sounding just as bad as the attitude you despise.
    By 'waiting to be offended, by them getting offended' - it is a strange vortex you have created for yourself in that sense.
    Life is too short to be creating that kind of angst for yourself.
    You will get an ulcer!

Personally I think the Man City song is a 'faux outrage' created by social media.
    It has no link to the Cox incident at all, and it a case of people looking for conspiracy theories, and looking to be offended.
    Even the OTB team seem to have the sense (from what you are saying) to avoid a non-story on this occasion.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I listened to a bit there before the FA cup final (to see what kind of build up there was - before I got near the telly) it was Nathan Murphy on interviewing Ray 'who put the ball in the English net'.
    Talking about he and teams dealt with the final in 89 between Liverpool v Everton in light of the Hillsborough tragedy.
    It was grand, not a Molloy or Gilroy to be heard.

I was just wondering is this a normal course of events no Gilroy and Molloy on the weekends - or was it just a one off?

I listened to a bit there before the FA cup final (to see what kind of build up there was - before I got near the telly) it was Nathan Murphy on interviewing Ray 'who put the ball in the English net'.
    Talking about he and teams dealt with the final in 89 between Liverpool v Everton in light of the Hillsborough tragedy.

I was just wondering is this a normal course of events no Gilroy and Molloy on the weekends - or was it just a one off?

Nathan usually does Saturday's, Joe Sunday's. I say mostly, probably 60% of the time for each.

They are both different but enjoyable I think. Nathan is more light mannered and at ease with guests than a lot of presenters, on any station, and I think Joe provokes more interesting conversations.

Get pretty much spends all time on AM show and seems to do a number of Friday night shows lately also. (Suspect they are no longer live at this stage).

Nathan usually does Saturday's, Joe Sunday's. I say mostly, probably 60% of the time for each.

They are both different but enjoyable I think. Nathan is more light mannered and at ease with guests than a lot of presenters, on any station, and I think Joe provokes more interesting conversations.

Get pretty much spends all time on AM show and seems to do a number of Friday night shows lately also. (Suspect they are no longer live at this stage).

Ok so, Saturday is my day to listen to it, in that case.
    A rota would be handy.

I am just wondering why there is no consistency with their reporting. They normally see the social justice angle in everything
    Jeremy, it seems to me that you see social-justice angles in everything, even if only from a criticising viewpoint.

Can we stick to discussing the actual content? You've now registered your opinion that this topic should have been covered in-depth. Fair enough. But the purpose of this thread is to focus on & discuss actual content.

Jeremy, it seems to me that you see social-justice angles in everything, even if only from a criticising viewpoint.

Can we stick to discussing the actual content? You've now registered your opinion that this topic should have been covered in-depth. Fair enough. But the purpose of this thread is to focus on & discuss actual content.

Is that you modding or did you bold it to make it look like that? If it's an actually moderator order (I'm not clear if you are one) then you should make it clearer.

It was grand, not a Molloy or Gilroy to be heard.I was just wondering is this a normal course of events no Gilroy and Molloy on the weekends - or was it just a one off?

Well Gilroy is nearly full time on the OTB AM, so I guess that this puts more weeknight work on Joe. The OTB AM was a great idea, though I wonder how nobody ever thought of having a morning youtube sports channel before. You do wonder though where it leaves them financially - they are basically giving away their show with little sponsorship, so I'm not sure how they monetize it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Is that you modding or did you bold it to make it look like that? If it's an actually moderator order (I'm not clear if you are one) then you should make it clearer.

How in the name of god could you not know he is a Mod when it clearly says Mod: Radio directly below their name. :confused:

On Boards for 5 years as well lol. :pac:

How in the name of god could you not know he is a Mod when it clearly says Mod: Radio directly below their name. :confused:

On Boards for 5 years as well lol. :pac:

No it doesn't smarthole.

VSUf0RC.png

Edit - lol ":pac:"

_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Well Gilroy is nearly full time on the OTB AM, so I guess that this puts more weeknight work on Joe. The OTB AM was a great idea, though I wonder how nobody ever thought of having a morning youtube sports channel before. You do wonder though where it leaves them financially - they are basically giving away their show with little sponsorship, so I'm not sure how they monetize it.

I have started listening more & more to OTBAM when I get the notification at 7.45am that it is starting - especially been good after the mid week games in the evening and newspaper review. Some breaking sports news over night & the OTB guys are on it (except the MUFC singing job :rolleyes:) Also, they sometimes have Kenny on, the other week he was on both shows & in between, he was out around Dublin with "the young lad" - always interesting to hear Kenny's contribution.
    Would be interesting to see the stats on listenership figures and I now have subscribed to the podcast as don't always listen to it when I get into the office.

robo wrote: »
    I have started listening more & more to OTBAM when I get the notification at 7.45am that it is starting - especially been good after the mid week games in the evening and newspaper review. Some breaking sports news over night & the OTB guys are on it (except the MUFC singing job :rolleyes:) Also, they sometimes have Kenny on, the other week he was on both shows & in between, he was out around Dublin with "the young lad" - always interesting to hear Kenny's contribution.
    Would be interesting to see the stats on listenership figures and I now have subscribed to the podcast as don't always listen to it when I get into the office.

I like OTBAM. Started podcasting it and listening to it later in the day. However, I used to never really get why some particular presenters wound up posters on here. But the more I listen to OTBAM the more I cant stand Ger. They’ve good guests on, as you said Kenny, but Joe and Nathan are far more easier to listen to for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Yeh Ger can be a bot skittish to some items - where as Joe can be a bit too mollycoddling so the others can help balance it out.

Its definitely a show (both OTBAM and OTB) that you need at 2-3 different types of people on discussing the ins & outs of sport to get a better range of perspective.

Caught a small bit of the Sunday newspaper review & it just dawned on me that Kimmage hasn't been o in a while - wonder was there a falling out as a few times himself & Joe didn't agree on things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,451 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Yeah I was listening to that piece and thought it was a very good piece. I usually enjoy the 9 to 10 football slot on Monday, Joe Molloy usually does a good job with that.

Unfortunately after that they then went and spent about 20 minutes talking about the women's champions league final. You could tell that Kilbame especially was thinking "What the hell are we doing". I wonder how many people had any interest whatsoever in that competition. Seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

BPKS wrote: »
    Yeah I was listening to that piece and thought it was a very good piece. I usually enjoy the 9 to 10 football slot on Monday, Joe Molloy usually does a good job with that.

Unfortunately after that they then went and spent about 20 minutes talking about the women's champions league final. You could tell that Kilbame especially was thinking "What the hell are we doing". I wonder how many people had any interest whatsoever in that competition. Seriously.

That's more of the social justice angle. Raving about women's football for so long, comparing achievements of women's and men's football is lunacy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

robo wrote: »
    Yeh Ger can be a bot skittish to some items - where as Joe can be a bit too mollycoddling so the others can help balance it out.

Its definitely a show (both OTBAM and OTB) that you need at 2-3 different types of people on discussing the ins & outs of sport to get a better range of perspective.

Caught a small bit of the Sunday newspaper review & it just dawned on me that Kimmage hasn't been o in a while - wonder was there a falling out as a few times himself & Joe didn't agree on things.

Re kimmage wouldn’t be at all surprised. A man who would cross the road to take offence.

Re kimmage wouldn’t be at all surprised. A man who would cross the road to take offence.

Yeah haven't heard him in a while. But let's be honest, it was probably only a matter of time before Kimmage said something that Gilroy didn't like I remember when they posted the Lance Armstrong interview Kimmage tweeted "Lance being Lance, Ger being Ger" or something similar. Never much love lost between them I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Still writing doping articles too. Still doing it!

'Someone' tweeted this to OTB and got this reply.

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/1130093054185103360

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement