Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

When's the football show back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Does it matter whether you agree/disagree with his view, or that he expressed it?

If you think it does? Why does it matter?
    Yeah this is a discussion forum, pal. I'd like to know his view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Ol' Donie wrote: »

Expect Monday Week, 6th August, the week leading in to premier season kick off.

They were saying last night just how quiet everything is, they had nothing to really talk about.

Yeah this is a discussion forum, pal. I'd like to know his view.

I'm interested in knowing your opinion on Ger's view of darts fans and the sport itself and why it is relevant.

I'm interested in knowing your opinion on Ger's view of darts fans and the sport itself and why it is relevant.
    I think that Ger Gilroy's view of darts is a stone-age one, but nothing surprises me considering how much of a snob he is.
    As a Darts fan and an Off The Ball fan, for someone who you listen to to alienate you and the rest of the darts fans that listen to the show by insulting the fans and the sport itself or incredibly insulting and there is no room for that on-air.

What's hilarious is that Darts is more of an international sport than Ger's beloved Rugby is and ever will be, along with the fact that the Irish Darts Team have won more knockout World Cup games this year than the Irish Rugby team have in 32 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭monstermag

Mr.Gilroy was generalising and stereotyping, which isn't great though is it? He's not alone with these types of lazy sneers of course. Ken Early is as bad. Which is no coincidence. This type of mindset tends to be reinforced by colleagues or former colleagues in the workplace or among friends. It's a type of groupthink.Common enough in today's version of journalism, sadly. Very few individual thinkers.
    As 'journalists' they really should try to avoid it; as it indicates a less than open mind.

It's classism plain and simple. Yosser I'm sure your familiar with The Green Man Pub and it's patrons, I'm guessing these are the people Ger had in mind when making that comment.
    I doubt there's any shake hands character in Ger's local.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

monstermag wrote: »
    It's classism plain and simple. Yosser I'm sure your familiar with The Green Man Pub and it's patrons, I'm guessing these are the people Ger had in mind when making that comment.
    I doubt there's any shake hands character in Ger's local.

I am indeed monstermag it's been demolished now.
    You're right though, it is very much classism.

This seems to have turned in to a thread where the people who come to complain about the OTB show being staffed by a team of SJW's are now complaining about a single throwaway (hardly offensive) comment about Darts a few months ago being classism.

Feel like I've entered a twilight zone or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

This seems to have turned in to a thread where the people who come to complain about the OTB show being staffed by a team of SJW's are now complaining about a single throwaway (hardly offensive) comment about Darts a few months ago being classism.

Feel like I've entered a twilight zone or something.

Probably the most ridiculous statement you made since last week when you said giving away a child's address on air wasn't a breach of data protection regulations.

I never seen the term SJW's used in this debate to describe any of the staff and people aren't complaining about the staff as a whole just Ger Gilroy by the looks of it.

redbuck wrote: »
    Probably the most ridiculous statement you made since last week when you said giving away a child's address on air wasn't a breach of data protection regulations.

I never seen the term SJW's used in this debate to describe any of the staff and people aren't complaining about the staff as a whole just Ger Gilroy by the looks of it.

I never said anything about GDPR last week but only that I could understand how it happened.

You never seen SJW used here? Sure. Twilight zone it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Expect Monday Week, 6th August, the week leading in to premier season kick off.

They were saying last night just how quiet everything is, they had nothing to really talk about.

This is because they devote such an excessive amount of time to Soccer and Rugby, it's actually ridiculously ironic how they take the p!ss out of that 'this is rugby country' ad.

ericzeking wrote: »
    This is because they devote such an excessive amount of time to Soccer and Rugby, it's actually ridiculously ironic how they take the p!ss out of that 'this is rugby country' ad.

Soccer, GAA, Rugby, Golf are the tier one content, that's for sure.

Would like to see them do more. Junior Olympics and Euros Athletics on recently and Ireland have done well but they haven't done any depth pieces.
    Not sure Second Captains has and I'm not a Game on listener so maybe I've missed it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Ol' Donie wrote: »

They had Andy Mitten on the other night. He was very excited about United's pre-season.

Seen as the season went on until mid June with the CL final and internationals, its no harm having a bit of time off soccer.

I wonder will they bring back Johnny Giles this season. With Today FM not having the Saturday live games, there might be a case for getting Brian Kerr in for a weekly slot.

He has a much better grasp of todays game than Johnny has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

I never said anything about GDPR last week but only that I could understand how it happened. You never seen SJW used here? Sure. Twilight zone it is.

Well I guess that's the funny thing about bias. You only see it when you disagree with the consensus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

BPKS wrote: »

I wonder will they bring back Johnny Giles this season. With Today FM not having the Saturday live games, there might be a case for getting Brian Kerr in for a weekly slot.

Absolutely LOVE Kerr's analysis - he has a great attitude and says it how it is and makes sense! Where as Giles likes to compare to the old days and how it was for him & that's interesting to hear, but not comparing like with like.
    Watching a match on TV and Kerr commentating on the radio - I'd listen to the radio and watch the TV on mute (even with the half a minute delay).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Giles is a legend but lately I cringe sometimes listening to him. Constantly mixing up players/teams names. The constant "back when I was leeds" and general losing sight of the conversation mid sentence. Maybe it's time for someone with more of a connection to the modern game to do the slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

They had Andy Mitten on the other night. He was very excited about United's pre-season.

Seen as the season went on until mid June with the CL final and internationals, its no harm having a bit of time off soccer.

I’d love that, find Kerr great. I listen to an awful lot of OTB/podcasts (due to commuting) but Giles’ slot on a Thursday is the only time I either turn off OTB or don’t have it on download. Can’t take anymore of his dinosaur analysis and chat of Leeds players from 40 years ago

Giles is a legend but lately I cringe sometimes listening to him. Constantly mixing up players/teams names. The constant "back when I was leeds" and general losing sight of the conversation mid sentence. Maybe it's time for someone with more of a connection to the modern game to do the slot.

The fast lad up front for Liverpool, Sane.

All season. Despite "Sane" winning the golden boot and being a Champions League winner.

I never said anything about GDPR last week but only that I could understand how it happened.

You never seen SJW used here? Sure. Twilight zone it is.

I've seen it used in the past but I haven't seen that term mentioned in this latest debate.

It's a term I never used myself in relation to any of the OTB crew either.

I'm a big fan of the show but I avoid OTB AM to avoid Gilroy's pontificating and that works well for me.

And in fairness to Ger I met in Newstalk years ago while I was on work placement there and he was a very nice guy in person.

• Advertisement

Is that Richie l hear doing voice-over adds on radio stations?

I think he does D.I.D. Electrical anyway.

Is it Richie that filled in for Tom Dunne when he was sick?

Is it Richie that filled in for Tom Dunne when he was sick?

Yep and he did a good job of that

robo wrote: »

I'd say his preffered job would be full time in T Dunne slot. Loves his music.

He's the Jimmy Mcgee of music

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Would love to see Kerr replace Giles on a Thursday night. You could hear it in Nathan's voice that he was curling up into a big ball of cringe at times last season with some of his responses and points of view. Like an auld fella at a bar who you nod and agree with to just get to the point so you can get away. Completely out of touch with the modern game. All these old stories of the 60's and 70's (in fairness its usually Nathan who pushes for it) have no absolutely no relevance to the game now.

Also they need to make more time for Kenny Cunningham, only wheeling him out for CL nights is major under usage. I feel he adds a lot more than Kilbane, who seems to have been and molded by the BBC to basically be a robot. No personality.

Murdoc90 wrote: »
    Would love to see Kerr replace Giles on a Thursday night. You could hear it in Nathan's voice that he was curling up into a big ball of cringe at times last season with some of his responses and points of view. Like an auld fella at a bar who you nod and agree with to just get to the point so you can get away. Completely out of touch with the modern game. All these old stories of the 60's and 70's (in fairness its usually Nathan who pushes for it) have no absolutely no relevance to the game now.

Also they need to make more time for Kenny Cunningham, only wheeling him out for CL nights is major under usage. I feel he adds a lot more than Kilbane, who seems to have been and molded by the BBC to basically be a robot. No personality.

I like kilbane. Thought in particular in his first year he clearly got a lot of interviews with mates of his.
    He was on much less last year I thought.

Agree, I really like KC. Thought he was on a bit more than just CL nights but that certainly was his main focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

yep, probably more ads with him on the breaks than ads without him at this stage :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Murdoc90 wrote: »

One of the best suggestions on here in a while imo! I'd tune into OTB specifically to listen to Kerr. The man is a legend, is really insightful with his analysis and knowledge, and is passionate for the game. I feel he is underused in general by the media.

yep, probably more ads with him on the breaks than ads without him at this stage :pac:

I wonder is there some products he wouldn't put his voice to like maybe electrical appliances made in China with cheap labour and poor working conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Excellent interview with Jason Quigley on atm. Not a boxing fan bu great honesty from a boxer a week after his first loss. Worth a listen back

Excellent interview with Jason Quigley on atm. Not a boxing fan bu great honesty from a boxer a week after his first loss. Worth a listen back

This is what OTB does best - gets sports people to talk about what goes on in their head. Somehow the boxers sound even rawer than most other sports, Eric Donovans interview a few months ago still sticks in my head when he spoke about the stumbling blocks he had to face through the years & to hear now how he is in a great place after turning Pro. They show the grit of whats needed to be an athlete & how its not just down to putting a few birdies in front of millions or getting that winning punch in the ring.

The worst interviews are the rugby guys - I could have missed a good one, but they are so "trained" on what to say and how to promote themselves (and I get that they are thinking of outside the rugby pitch), but its just a marketing PR job when they are on OTB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The younger more professional and dare I say institutionalised rugby players give bland and boring interviews

With all that’s been going on off the pitch in the rugby world, it’s sad but that’s the way they are drilled

Think of the questions and stories that could be told if they were genuinely interested in giving a good interview. But no. Won’t happen.

PRed within an inch of their lives mainly

Few of the older guard like ROG , Darcy and heaslip are interesting to listen to but the new lot- nah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Heard carbery on otb lately and it really did come across as an advertorial for milk (he is brand ambassador for avonmorr I think it is)

Jasus it was bland boring radio

Otb presenters made it worse if anything too

This is what OTB does best - gets sports people to talk about what goes on in their head. Somehow the boxers sound even rawer than most other sports, Eric Donovans interview a few months ago still sticks in my head when he spoke about the stumbling blocks he had to face through the years & to hear now how he is in a great place after turning Pro. They show the grit of whats needed to be an athlete & how its not just down to putting a few birdies in front of millions or getting that winning punch in the ring.

The worst interviews are the rugby guys - I could have missed a good one, but they are so "trained" on what to say and how to promote themselves (and I get that they are thinking of outside the rugby pitch), but its just a marketing PR job when they are on OTB.

I'll see if I can find one Keith Earl's did with Joe last year some time.
    Thought it was excellent. They went in to the mental struggles he had with playing for a time and he seemed to enjoy talking about it.

Enjoy the boxing interviews like you said. Think having Andy Lee involved helps to make people relax enough to really engage.

Agree Andy Lee seems to make the boxers comfortable to speak - they hear how he talks and is at ease to talk about the aches & pains (mentally & physically) of pro life of an athlete.

On Keith Earls - must dig out that interview as I missed it, he is a player that shows so much passion on the pitch but has had hard times through the years, what is it Munster players, they seem to talk more freely than Leinster PR/marketing guys, I just tune out now when the Leinster guys talk. Maybe Carbery will pick that up in the training fields of Munster :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Anyone hear the "newsround" segment (7:00 - 7:30) last night. I was driving home from work, flicking between stations when I heard Nathans voice so tuned in. The lads were discussing Championship Manager (the video game) and it was absolutely brilliant, I haven't laughed so much at an OTB piece since the Second Captains crew were in charge. In the grand scheme of things, it was just a bit of inane, harmless banter, but I prefer that to when the presenters (mainly Joe + Ger) indulge in political/social topics.

For me, Nathan is the pick of the presenters too, he just seems more genuinely invested in sport, and seems more authentic when having the craic with the other guests/co-presenters. He can be self-deprecating in a way that feels totally contrived when Ger does it.

Anyone hear the "newsround" segment (7:00 - 7:30) last night. I was driving home from work, flicking between stations when I heard Nathans voice so tuned in. The lads were discussing Championship Manager (the video game) and it was absolutely brilliant, I haven't laughed so much at an OTB piece since the Second Captains crew were in charge. In the grand scheme of things, it was just a bit of inane, harmless banter, but I prefer that to when the presenters (mainly Joe + Ger) indulge in political/social topics.

For me, Nathan is the pick of the presenters too, he just seems more genuinely invested in sport, and seems more authentic when having the craic with the other guests/co-presenters. He can be self-deprecating in a way that feels totally contrived when Ger does it.

Newsround most nights is light hearted with them taking the mick out of each other at times.

I like Nathan (think he's best at that light hearted stuff) but prefer Joe for most topics as I think he asks better questions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think it's unfair to compare a boxer to a footballer or rugby player's interview.

A footballer/rugby player will do a lot of media per year and also represents a club and it's players and coaches. If he/she answers a question or puts something out there then some of the other players will be asked to comment on it, or in a few weeks they'll be asked about it again.

A boxer will do far less media and is representing themselves, so anything they answer won't affect anyone else.

A footballer will have a lot more profile than a rugby player who will have a lot more profile than a boxer. Well maybe not so much more with the footballer or rugby player but either way they'll be more well known than most boxers. Footballers and rugby players aren't there to sell themselves but boxers are imo.

Simply put if I were a footballer or rugby player I'd be saying very little in interviews but if i were a boxer I'd be much more open. Remember it's also perfectly acceptable for a boxer to be critical of their opponents in a way that's the complete opposite of a footballer or rugby player.

Also yeah I think Nathan is pretty good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Dowend

Anyone else find John Duggan insufferable?

If he's not gloating about all the major sports events he's been to in his 18+ years of journalism he's speaking nonsense about sports he's claiming to be an expert on.

No idea why they go to him for golf/racing tips, he stumbles his way through both. He clearly has very little knowledge of the game of golf compared to the Golf Weekly crew in particular. His lack of racing knowledge is evident when they have Johnny Ward on, who actually knows what he's talking about. You can even tell that Johnny cringes when they are both on at the same time talking racing.

• Advertisement

Dowend wrote: »

If he's not gloating about all the major sports events he's been to in his 18+ years of journalism he's speaking nonsense about sports he's claiming to be an expert on.

No idea why they go to him for golf/racing tips, he stumbles his way through both. He clearly has very little knowledge of the game of golf compared to the Golf Weekly crew in particular. His lack of racing knowledge is clearly evident when they have Johnny Ward on, who clearly knows what he's talking about.

I always viewed him as a reporter. There to report on events rather than to analyse. Can't say I was ever waiting to hear his personal take on an event as such.

Never heard him claiming to be an expert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

No idea why they go to him for golf/racing tips, he stumbles his way through both. He clearly has very little knowledge of the game of golf compared to the Golf Weekly crew in particular. His lack of racing knowledge is evident when they have Johnny Ward on, who actually knows what he's talking about. You can even tell that Johnny cringes when they are both on at the same time talking racing.

I really enjoy listening to him. I don't think he portrays himself as an expert but he's a massive sports fan.

Regarding interviews in general, I think Joe is pretty good at bringing people out of their shell.

I presume the rugby players are trained to be bland and boring. The IRFU is one massive propaganda machine. I'm a huge rugby fan but as each year goes on it seems that the Irish players are nothing more than glorified marketing professionals - work in marketing/PR during the week and play the odd game of rugby at the weekend. If the IRFU can't put your name or face to one it's brands without controversy, you're skillset can be dispensed with. The brand comes first. The aforementioned interview with Earls being a rare exception.

Thought this line attributed to Robbie Henshaw last week promoting the new World Cup jersey was particularly mundane:

"Canterbury has produced a range of kit that ticks all the boxes from a player perspective in terms of functionality, comfort and design. First and foremost the kit needs to stand up to the physical and environmental challenges that await us in Japan, but it also needs to look good on and off the pitch, for players and fans alike."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Cliona Foley has to be the worst contributor on the paper review, cant understand how they keep getting her back on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Cliona Foley has to be the worst contributor on the paper review, cant understand how they keep getting her back on.

It's the auld gender quotas, isn't it

He's like someone you'd have on a teleshopping channel, unbelievable cringe.
    I said the same previously.
    There's a big "Your ma" energy off of Cliona Foley. A postage stamp would fit her knowledge of sport on the back of it.

He's like someone you'd have on a teleshopping channel, unbelievable cringe.

I said the same previously.

As also said previously, 25 years sports journalist covering 100 All Irelands across various codes, Olympics and Football championships.

Can't figure out why she is on..

She made a point on gender quotas herself yesterday that there shouldn't be women appointed to the board of the FAI just because of quotas, that anyone appointed to it should be capable of performing a role.

As also said previously, 25 years sports journalist covering 100 All Irelands across various codes, Olympics and Football championships.
    If I could care less, I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

John Duggan comes across well on radio.

His attempts at an epic tweet are terrible though.

I’d say we would be kindred spirits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Sport is the realm of men.

Stop trying to fix something that isn’t broken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

It's the auld gender quotas, isn't it

Until they find a female reporter/contributor of better quality, she isn't going anywhere. I'm not saying she doesn't know her sport, but she definitely doesn't belong on the radio.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement