Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Until they find a female reporter/contributor of better quality, she isn't going anywhere. I'm not saying she doesn't know her sport, but she definitely doesn't belong on the radio.

Oh I agree, she offers nothing for the listeners but her presence makes it look like it's a gender neutral environment. Pity they didn't care as much about taking the dollar from Boyles on the one hand while giving us Oisin McConville warning of the dangers of gambling addiction among GAA players on the other:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Really enjoyed Stephen Kelly today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Gerry Armstrong interview is good at the minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Gerry Armstrong interview is good at the minute

Just in had it on in the car. Switched it on to mentions of Tottenham, GAA, Bangor. I had not a bulls notion who it was could not place the Northern Ireland accent.
    I was completely thrown. Stayed listening who the f**k is it? Then finally towards the end it was revealed it was Gerry Armstrong.
    It was good stuff - Molloy did well directing him through the fountain of info he was willing to divulge.

Three years of soccer and he went pro, ended up being able to play lots of positions on the soccer pitch.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Just in had it on in the car. Switched it on to mentions of Tottenham, GAA, Bangor. I had not a bulls notion who it was could not place the Northern Ireland accent.
    I was completely thrown.
    It was good stuff - Molloy did well directing him through the fountain of info he was willing to divulge.

I hadn't known he was so in to Gaelic. Very interesting to go from Gaelic to profootballer at that time in the north.

• Advertisement

I hadn't known he was so in to Gaelic. Very interesting to go from Gaelic to profootballer at that time in the north.

I had no clue either.
    You would just assume a fella like him was always mad into the soccer.
    He seemed to move in seamlessly to the soccer from the way he was talking.

I was thinking to myself he would make a great politician, speaks very well - and seems thoughtful and considered when he speaks.
    Only saw him the odd time on the telly before.

I had no clue either.
    You would just assume a fella like him was always mad into the soccer.
    He seemed to move in seamlessly to the soccer from the way he was talking.

I was thinking to myself he would make a great politician, speaks very well - and seems thoughtful and considered when he speaks.
    Only saw him the odd time on the telly before.

Heard the start of the show from last night back earlier today and Joe was explaining how they ended up talking to Gerry. JP rang him on Monday to ask him for a comment on the Gareth Bale situation and for the first 10 minutes of the phone call, all he wanted to do was talk about the hurling at the weekend. Eventually JP asked him why was he so interested and he said how Gaelic was his first sport and didn't play soccer until he was 16 or 17.

Sounded like he should be an ambassador for the GAA.

Heard the start of the show from last night back earlier today and Joe was explaining how they ended up talking to Gerry. JP rang him on Monday to ask him for a comment on the Gareth Bale situation and for the first 10 minutes of the phone call, all he wanted to do was talk about the hurling at the weekend. Eventually JP asked him why was he so interested and he said how Gaelic was his first sport and didn't play soccer until he was 16 or 17.

Sounded like he should be an ambassador for the GAA.

Plus I flicked on Newstalk at around five-ish this evening. Who was on? - only Joe Molloy - talking about cocaine with some expert. (in fairness it was a news programe not sports programme - before the knives come out!)
    The fella is everywhere - a 'box-to-box-midfielder' type presenter!

Plus I flicked on Newstalk at around five-ish this evening. Who was on? - only Joe Molloy talking about cocaine with some expert. (in fairness it was a news programe not sports programme - before the knives come out!)

Yeah, he filled in for Ivan this evening. Did very well by accounts on the Hard shoulder thread. I didn't hear any of it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Yeah, he filled in for Ivan this evening. Did very well by accounts on the Hard shoulder thread. I didn't hear any of it myself.

Did very well. By far the best of the guest hosts this week

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    When's the football show back?

You're up Ol'Donie.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Brilliant interview with Pillar caffrey on now. Very honest fella. Very insightful about that Dublin era of the noughties

Will Newstalk be bringing live games from the premiership this season and if so will it still be on Sunday? Now that Today Fm aren't doing it anymore I wonder if any other station will do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Will Newstalk be bringing live games from the premiership this season and if so will it still be on Sunday? Now that Today Fm aren't doing it anymore I wonder if any other station will do it!

Nathan tweeted that they'll have Sundays for next 3 years... No mention of Saturdays...

https://twitter.com/nathanmurf/status/1159413056184733697

dulpit wrote: »
    Nathan tweeted that they'll have Sundays for next 3 years... No mention of Saturdays...

Then they definitely won't be.
    They'd be letting people know but they were going to be.

So it looks like no PL live on Saturdays on Irish radio then,crap!

zorro2566 wrote: »
    So it looks like no PL live on Saturdays on Irish radio then,crap!

I'm a bit surprised as well.
    As I said before, I'd prefer to see OTB doing one game each day than the 2 they do on some Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Premier league live really took a nosedive after Michael McMullan left, they did away with the live after 5 phone in too which i used to enjoy. Still would have tuned in from time to time last year, disappointing there will be no saturday games on Irish radio feel like newstalk have missed a beat here.

Murdoc90 wrote: »
    Premier league live really took a nosedive after Michael McMullan left, they did away with the live after 5 phone in too which i used to enjoy. Still would have tuned in from time to time last year, disappointing there will be no saturday games on Irish radio feel like newstalk have missed a beat here.

Agreed on McMullen. Really enjoyed him. What has he gone at sense?

You'd have to wonder how long they'll do Sunday games if they just passed on opportunity to do Saturday.

Twitter has changed how we consume sport. Being able to see goals nearly as soon as they happen on your phone can make it less necessary to follow an entire game.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Agreed on McMullen. Really enjoyed him. What has he gone at sense?

You'd have to wonder how long they'll do Sunday games if they just passed on opportunity to do Saturday.

Twitter has changed how we consume sport. Being able to see goals nearly as soon as they happen on your phone can make it less necessary to follow an entire game.

I think he is working for the Derry Post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

They mentioned on a couple of the shows today that John Duggan was dressed up in a suit and tie for transfer deadline day (in another country!)

What an absolute t*sser!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Heard a few minutes of Giles on this evening on the way home. He was having a go at Ole for always bringing up the past and saying the past isn’t relevant nowadays.. ironic coming from Giles. Within the next 5 minutes he started 2 points saying “back in my day”.

Heard a few minutes of Giles on this evening on the way home. He was having a go at Ole for always bringing up the past and saying the past isn’t relevant nowadays.. ironic coming from Giles. Within the next 5 minutes he started 2 points saying “back in my day”.

He was making the point that Ole had said both 'we need to remember what Man Utd stood for, attacking football etc' and 'we can't keep looking at the past'.

I was curious about his condemnation if Zaha looking to leave Crystal Palace.
    I understand his point that Zaha signed a 4 yr contract and has 2 yrs left but I can also see how Zaha might want European football.

Flicked it on in the car bout 8 ish - they had a GAA thing on from Achill - playing clips from a roadshow.

It was Nathan Murphy that was on it so it made the show since he was a Mayo man getting digs back etc.
    Strangley Sean Boylan was talking Mayo up to the hilt.
    That seemed to be the tone of most of the show - trying to say nice things about Mayo - Damien Comer (Galway) and Liam McHale Mayo were on as well.

I believe Stephen Hunt was on the phone talking to Nathan Murphy in the studio.

Murphy
    (after slagging Hunt about getting image rights in his contracts) - 'how much did you make on image rights?'

Hunt - (without missing a beat) 'enough that you would have to work 25 years to make it'

Then there was another bit of slagging and just before Hunt hung up.

Hunt - oh and your crowd will need a load of luck against the Dubs!

I thought it was all enjoyable stuff - there was no way there would be that natural sense of fun if Gilroy or Molloy were on it.

It was Nathan Murphy that was on it so it made the show since he was a Mayo man getting digs back etc.
    Strangley Sean Boylan was talking Mayo up to the hilt.

Meath's most famous manager might understandably not want to talk up Dubs.
    Also his son is living in Achill so I imagine he's inclined to speak highly of Mayo.
    I thought it was all enjoyable stuff - there was no way there would be that natural sense of fun if Gilroy or Molloy were on it.

Also funny when Nathan called Hunt 'Cock' and then said he'd hoped he had hung up and hadn't heard it.

Nathan is the most relaxed in terms of banter.
    But, Joe is far and away best interviewer and Ger obviously has the brains to pull it all together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I thought the interview the other with the journo from Liverpool explaining the history of Liverpool fans booing the national anthem and history of the city of Liverpool in general was fascinating. I know JM isn't everyone's cup of tea but I think he's a great interviewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Haven’t listened to it yet but I see they had Brian Kerr on.. only less then 2 weeks after a few of us said he’d be great on it. Who’s the snitch?

Haven’t listened to it yet but I see they had Brian Kerr on.. only less then 2 weeks after a few of us said he’d be great on it. Who’s the snitch?

He's been on it several times over the last couple years at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

If you are asking who the snitch is, you obviously haven’t been on here long enough to figure the very obvious answer out!

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    If you are asking who the snitch is, you obviously haven’t been on here long enough to figure the very obvious answer out!

And using the same rational, you'll spot operators from Game On, The GAA hour and Second Captains as well.

Jayesdiem wrote: »

oh cut it out, its beyond boring at this stage. Seriously. - Mod

I thought the interview the other with the journo from Liverpool explaining the history of Liverpool fans booing the national anthem and history of the city of Liverpool in general was fascinating. I know JM isn't everyone's cup of tea but I think he's a great interviewer.

Listened back to this over the weekend (kudos to the GO LOUD app actually) and it was a really good bit of radio. And in fairness Joe didnt just give him a free ride - he brought up the issue of the club allowing the "controlled decay" I think they called it of the residential area around Anfield. The Evans answer to that by saying "That would be giving the 3 regimes who were in charge in that period too much credit" made me laugh.

John Duggan on again to tell us all about what games he's been to and how great he is. Total Muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

John Duggan on again to tell us all about what games he's been to and how great he is. Total Muppet.

A big muppet indeed. Very hard to warm to him. He was awful in Russia last year. His voice is terrible and he adds very little.
    I turn off when ever he is on. Nearly as bad as Gilroy

• Advertisement

Listened back to the interview that Joe did with Michael Quirke and Pat McEneaney over the appointment of the referee for the All Ireland football final.

Joe had all these "facts" researched about the referee and it was really a 2 v 1 interview instead of Joe being the go-between to facilitate the debate. He also left Pat McEneany away with a two-footed lunge when Pat compared the situation to Mike Dean not being allowed ref Liverpool or Everton which he said would not be the situation. The FA decided against appointing Dean for the 2006 FA Cup final due to him living so close to Liverpool - it was a big thing at the time.

Must do better Joe.

It was a filler piece on the week of the hurling final.

Nothing more, nothing less

He also brought some memorabilia in on the breakfast show.
    This after wearing a suit and tie last week for English transfer deadline day.

He does understand he's working on the RADIO doesn't he? :confused:

He also brought some memorabilia in on the breakfast show.
    This after wearing a suit and tie last week for English transfer deadline day.

He does understand he's working on the RADIO doesn't he? :confused:

Breakfast show isn't broadcast on the radio.

BPKS wrote: »
    It was a filler piece on the week of the hurling final.

Nothing more, nothing less
    It's still him talking out his ring about what he has been to.

• Advertisement

It's still him talking out his ring about what he has been to.

It's a relevant piece given the time of year.
    I was at some of the games he spoke about and it gave me I enjoyed it for nostalgic reasons.

Don't know how you think he was talking out his ring unless you think he made it up.

Breakfast show isn't broadcast on the radio.

Newstalk Breakfast isn't broadcast on the radio? I'll have to get my radio checked out as it seems to be picking it up somehow :rolleyes:

It's a relevant piece given the time of year.
    I was at some of the games he spoke about and I enjoyed it for nostalgic reasons.

Don't know how you think he was talking out his ring unless you think he made it up.
    I'm not saying he's lying, I'm just saying he talks rubbish.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Newstalk Breakfast isn't broadcast on the radio? I'll have to get my radio checked out as it seems to be picking it up somehow :rolleyes:

And OTB did a 'deadline day special' on their digital platforms which Duggan was part of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

JM giving out to himself for inadvertently extolling manly virtues was low point in the increasingly dull newspaper review segment.

Tommy Walsh is an out and out hurling man.

Monologue piece yesterday was class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Is there anything you don’t praise on Newstalk?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

I thought it was very contrived, he was just reading a script.

I thought it was very contrived, he was just reading a script.

He definitely read it, but he brings that enthusiasm whenever he is talking about hurling I think?

I thought the significance of All Ireland Sunday to all hurling fans was spot on.

Man reads script, poorly. k den

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement