Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Post has been deleted by a mod - ATNM!

It also gets tiresome to see people bitch and moan about everything on the radio and when someone challenges that they're accused of working for the station or being that person because they have nothing else of substance to add to their rambling rants.

If you don't like the show, fine, criticise it if you want, but this was literally a poster priasing Tommy Walsh's monologue and others just jumped on him for it and make the same insinuations all the time. F*ck right off with that **** just because you don't like that person's opinion.

So if I have this correct, we should all respect posters who praise the show and their opinions, but you can tell those whose opinions you disagree with to “F*ck right off with that ****”? Ok......

No actually, I think people who say the same **** about TMH working for OTB and having a pop at him just because he liked one aspect of the show should f*ck right off, because you add nothing to the thread only stupid, needless digs.

And I said you can criticise the show all you want, but the digs you throw at people who challenge you are irritating and, as I said, add nothing to the thread. And you only throw the digs because you don't like the poster challenging you in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I think Tommy Walsh is gas on OTB. And I wouldnt be a "hurling man" myself.

My favourite anecdote was last year he described how he was invited to a Lip Sync by some club the night before a big inter county game. Tommy then showed up at the gate to the stadium the next day and yer man who was Tina Turner the night before was manning the turnstile.

That kinda summed up the GAA for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Did anyone catch the ROG and Drico segment last Friday btw? ROG playing to the gallery with some of the garbage he spouted (the Zebo talk) while Bland O’Driscoll played his usual blinder in saying nothing insightful or of substance. A wasted opportunity really, as Newstalk usually do rugby really well. Monday and Wednesday night rugby would be essential Radio for me most of the year.

I actually had a post written about that chat on Friday but for some reason it didn’t send. I’m a big fan of Joe, so not going down the track of all OTB are sh*** but I felt Gilroy was awful on Friday with that interview. Why was he harping on about Zebo and making a case for the inclusion of overseas players last minute when it’s clear what the situation is and will never be changed this close to a WC. Kept pushing it too when it’s clear the ‘rule’ is there for the benefit of the provinces and the national team. 2 of Ireland’s most successful players ever in the studio a few weeks out for a WC and that’s where he wanted to push the conversation.

A lot of people need to cop on a bit, you know the deal by now.

There has been an ongoing issue with personal abuse in this thread, ye were told last time it wouldn't be tolerated. Bans/ cards incoming. This will keep happening until the problem stops.

Some posts have also been deleted.

This is a discussion for OTB, not a platform for egos slinging mud.

Back on topic. - Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Roadshow in September looks interesting. Roy Keane and Gary Neville. Neville was very good on Second Captains Road Show last year.
    Don't think I'd ever go to a road show myself but hopefully there'll be some good content out of this. Be nice if Keane was let talk about whatever he wanted instead of getting him to respond to direct questions.

Has anyone here ever gone to one? The seem to be fairly popular but I've never heard from anyone who was at one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Roadshow in September looks interesting. Roy Keane and Gary Neville. Neville was very good on Second Captains Road Show last year.
    Don't think I'd ever go to a road show myself but hopefully there'll be some good content out of this. Be nice if Keane was let talk about whatever he wanted instead of getting him to respond to direct questions.

Has anyone here ever gone to one? The seem to be fairly popular but I've never heard from anyone who was at one.

Was at a few of them years ago - very small venues though compared to the current larger venues, and they were all rugby. There was a kind of novelty value to them then as they were so new, not sure it would retain that in the current set up. All that said, I enjoyed them for what they were at the time, so based on that I’d say just go and see at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

I've already heard Tommy Walsh's "epic" speech three times today. Can anybody beat that?

I wonder how the sales are going on the Off The Ball Open. I see that they have added the Conor's Sketches guy has just got his tour card now as well. It's a pretty hard sell at the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I've already heard Tommy Walsh's "epic" speech three times today. Can anybody beat that?

I wonder how the sales are going on the Off The Ball Open. I see that they have added the Conor's Sketches guy has just got his tour card now as well. It's a pretty hard sell at the price.

I’m also at 3, but maybe Tom Dunne can get in a play later?

• Advertisement

SNIP - Mod

Still don’t know if I like Ronan O’Gara as a pundit. He has some interesting insights at times but he takes ages to actually make his point.

Some posts have been deleted, and will continue to be deleted, and more cards issued, until this thread gets back to discussing OTB and its content. Nothing else is permitted here c- Mod

Faugheen wrote: »
    SNIP - Mod

Still don’t know if I like Ronan O’Gara as a pundit. He has some interesting insights at times but he takes ages to actually make his point.

Think he is excellent, on TV or on the radio. He speaks freely and his career since he left Munster indicates how much he is interested in learning and not just trying to get a big job.
    Do see your point on him being slow to get his point out somewhat.

I've never warmed to O'Driscoll as I always thinks he runs everything through a filter to make sure he is not going to offend anyone. Find his analysis is weak as a result.

(ROG did an interview with Joe back in June and was very open about his motivations and desires as a coach, a lot more than most would be if they were in the position he was in in terms of having options for the next step. It's propbably still on podcast or Youtube)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭hawley

I rarely listen to OTB anymore because of Kevin Kilbane. He sounds like a twelve year old talking about football, "Oh, that was class Joe." He offers no real insight into anything that happens and never asks an interesting question to a guest. I can't understand how he's ubiquitous, it must be because producers are safe that he'll never say anything controversial.

hawley wrote: »
    I rarely listen to OTB anymore because of Kevin Kilbane. He sounds like a twelve year old talking about football, "Oh, that was class Joe." He offers no real insight into anything that happens and never asks an interesting question to a guest. I can't understand how he's ubiquitous, it must be because producers are safe that he'll never say anything controversial.

He's not on near as much now as he used to be. In fact, it's pretty rare when he is on. Damien Delaney seems to be the guy on the phone for Saturdays when the PL is on. Not sure about him yet, bit like what you said about Kevin, don't know if he gives massive insight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭hawley

He's not on near as much now as he used to be. In fact, it's pretty rare when he is on. Damien Delaney seems to be the guy on the phone for Saturdays when the PL is on. Not sure about him yet, bit like what you said about Kevin, don't know if he gives massive insight.

I heard him on Saturday when they had a few others in the studio and he was on the phone, he was too quiet and had to be asked to provide any analysis each time. It's unfair to judge him just yet though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭RINO87

Is Gary Breen gone? The saturday afternoons with Gary, Nathan, Johnny Ward, Dan McDonnell and sometimes Shane Keegan were always quite good.

RINO87 wrote: »
    Is Gary Breen gone? The saturday afternoons with Gary, Nathan, Johnny Ward, Dan McDonnell and sometimes Shane Keegan were always quite good.

He was doing co-commentary on Sunday with Dave but on the last 2 Saturdays, it has been Damien giving the input of the former-pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

RINO87 wrote: »

Think he's part of Premier Sports coverage now and they cover the 3PM games on Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Is Damien Delaney a fixture on OTB now?
    Switched on the radio on the way to the Dublin v Mayo game thought he was very good.
    Would be miles better than Kilbane for example.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Is Damien Delaney a fixture on OTB now?
    Switched on the radio on the way to the Dublin v Mayo game thought he was very good.
    Would be miles better than Kilbane for example.

Reckon that given he has started the season that he is contracted for this year anyway. Who knows, (he started the season with Waterford :)).

I'd prefer Kilbane still at this point but expect the more Delaney does, the more he'll develop, he's certainly not bad by any stretch.

• Advertisement

Kilbane does the Final Score thing on BBC on Saturdays (maybe not all Saturdays) and Gary Breen is co commentator on Premier Sports so there obviously was a spot there for Delaney.

Ciara Mageean chat was good last night. Spoke very honestly and she came across well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

yeah, good interview I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Thought Stephen Hunt was very good the other night. He’s someone heavily involved in a part of the game that a lot of us wouldn’t know the ins and outs of yet it being such a huge part in today’s game. Would like to hear him on more to talk about what being an agent involves.

Dan Leavy interview wasn’t great. ‘You know’ and ‘eh’ every second word. Surprising coming from some who has been media trained so much. Had been doing interviews all day tbf. Seemed to be taking missing out on the WC very badly. Can’t wait to see him back on the field!

Thought Stephen Hunt was very good the other night. He’s someone heavily involved in a part of the game that a lot of us wouldn’t know the ins and outs of yet it being such a huge part in today’s game. Would like to hear him on more to talk about what being an agent involves.

He did a dedicated piece not so long ago on his life and role as an agent I'm pretty sure, it might be possible to find it on podcast pages.

I'd like to hear him talk about what's going on at Bury and Bolton at the moment. Both teams are playing in League 1 but are in very serious financial difficulties. The money imbalance in the game must mean that most professional footballers are effectively living hand to mouth.
    I imagine a lot of the players Stephen might be involved with might be looking towards clubs in League 1 or the championship to get their break so I expect he'd have good insight and thoughts on it.
    Dan Leavy interview wasn’t great. ‘You know’ and ‘eh’ every second word. Surprising coming from some who has been media trained so much. Had been doing interviews all day tbf. Seemed to be taking missing out on the WC very badly. Can’t wait to see him back on the field!

Yeah, maybe he was tired or had an off day. I would forgive him if he was distracted given that he is missing out on WC. Must be head wrecking to hear people being enthusiastic about it and trying to join in when part of you must wish it was over.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Ciara Mageean chat was good last night. Spoke very honestly and she came across well.

Yeah, fascinating once again to hear sports people talk about the mental challenges they experience. Being so stressed she ended up crying to her coach in a German hotel bar at the European Championships the night before a race shows what a difficult place it can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Yeah, fascinating once again to hear sports people talk about the mental challenges they experience. Being so stressed she ended up crying to her coach in a German hotel bar at the European Championships the night before a race shows what a difficult place it can be.

They get a fair bit of slack, but these interviews are something they do really well especially Joe and Nathan.

See the Saturday show finishes at 17:00 now. Think this seems to be a permanent thing.
    Seems a bit funny given it doesn't really leave any time to analyse the results of the 15:00 kick-offs in the PL.

Was hoping to hear report on Rugby match and also Utd's defeat today when I turned just after 17:00 but show was over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭RINO87

See the Saturday show finishes at 17:00 now. Think this seems to be a permanent thing.
    Seems a bit funny given it doesn't really leave any time to analyse the results of the 15:00 kick-offs in the PL.

Was hoping to hear report on Rugby match and also Utd's defeat today when I turned just after 17:00 but show was over.

Yeah, odd as it ran to 6 the whole summer when there was little on. I've actually happened to be on the car at that time the last few Saturdays, and I've had to switch over to Saturday Sport for the first time in Donkeys years...

I'm looking forward to Nathan asking John Giles a few hard questions about the John Giles Foundation during the next interview.

• Advertisement

BPKS wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to Nathan asking John Giles a few hard questions about the John Giles Foundation during the next interview.

lol I was just about to post the exact same thing. He is on with Dunphy today ostensibly to talk about the United boss, but I haven't heard it as of yet so I don't know if Dunphy gave him the chance to respond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Mr. Arkadin

I was listening to Team 33 the other night. I thought Stephen Bradley was very interesting talking about transfers. He knows his stuff. Who is he? Is he from a sporting or journalism background?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭yoursaviour1989

They're doing an extra hour until 7pm on a Sunday because the 2nd games are all kicking off at 4.30pm instead of 4pm this season. Probably had to lose an hour somewhere for scheduling reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’d say Johnny Giles either will demand certain questions are not asked or maybe even not show up on thurs.

And don’t forget his advisor in chief for donkeys years has been eamo dunphy.

They're doing an extra hour until 7pm on a Sunday because the 2nd games are all kicking off at 4.30pm instead of 4pm this season. Probably had to lose an hour somewhere for scheduling reasons.

Yeah, noticed that then on Sunday. Thought it was a bit off, an hour less on Saturday and one more on Sunday but the kick-offs explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

I'd like to hear him talk about what's going on at Bury and Bolton at the moment. Both teams are playing in League 1 but are in very serious financial difficulties. The money imbalance in the game must mean that most professional footballers are effectively living hand to mouth.

I think asking a professional footballer turned agent about the financial health of the game is like asking a banker or developer about the collapse of the Irish economy. Is he going to admit that the majority of professional footballers are overpaid mercenaries who have little interest in the long term stability of the clubs they play for? Is the banker or developer going to admit that Ireland is a corrupt sh1thole where neoliberal economics reign supreme?

I’d say Johnny Giles either will demand certain questions are not asked or maybe even not show up on thurs.

I think to be fair to Giles, when there was a controversy involving him the last time, the questions were all put to him (albeit in a very friendly manner) and he did come up with answers.

I think asking a professional footballer turned agent about the financial health of the game is like asking a banker or developer about the collapse of the Irish economy. Is he going to admit that the majority of professional footballers are overpaid mercenaries who have little interest in the long term stability of the clubs they play for? Is the banker or developer going to admit that Ireland is a corrupt sh1thole where neoliberal economics reign supreme?

I think, as I said, that a lot of his players will likely be coming from or going to clubs who are within the lower divisions and therefore somewhat at risk of going under like this and so he'd be concerned for the implications.

The majority of pro footballers are probably not that well paid (given numbers involved).
    Championship players earn an average salary of £195,750, League One players £67,850 and League Two £49,600.

The average probably is skewed given some wealthy clubs, a median value would be more relevant. Given the average length of their playing career, and prospects afterwards, those figures are even less impressive. The average career length as a pro is 8 years.

For arguments sake, let's say the wage bill of the entirety of League 2 is 28.8M (24 clubs with 24 players each at 50k average).
    Sanchez and Pogba earn 30M per annum between them!

I disagree with the banker analogy, most footballers are the equivalent of tellers, customer service, currency exchange, IT or HR staff rather than the big earners.

(Ireland isn't a corrupt sh*thole either btw, certainly room for improvement, but that's for another thread :))

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

And don’t forget his advisor in chief for donkeys years has been eamo dunphy.

I think you forget the interview john did about this on offtheball.
    It was right in the middle of the fai/delaney issue that went on for weeks. I'll see can I find it.
    John answered every question, and was very saddened about it.
    He never took money, and I believe him.

I know you just want to get a dig in. But cop on to yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uJ3hW5gA1k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Mr. Arkadin

It would be no harm for Giles to turn up and actually earn his money for a change. A legend of Irish football, no doubt about that, but as a pundit/analyst he's hopelessly out of date. He spouts the same old anecdotes and rubbish every time. Luckily for him there's always someone, be it Dunphy or the Off The Ball crew, to lick his hole.

Abel Ruiz wrote: »

Yes but I think more question marks have been raised since - like the payment of over €300k for the fella who came up with the idea of the John Giles foundation.

When my young fella was looking for sponsorship for doing these walks a few years back, I didnt realise that the first €300k raised by the foundation would be required to make this payment.

I wonder is Giles on tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

I wonder is Giles on tonight?

He's on just after 9.

He's on just after 9.

Thanks you saved me having to endure Gary Breen.

• Advertisement

Giles just read a prepared statement and said that he has been advised to say nothing further. Said that he will come in after it has all been cleared up and answer whatever questions that they have.

Same as JD did when he was in front of the Dáil representatives. ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Giles statement was pretty damn strange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I have a serious sense of deja vu here.

I could have sworn I heard Giles talking to one of the not Ger or Joe ones before about getting a bunch of cash from the FAI for doing f*ck all.

Was this like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

I'd have sympathy for Giles. He's an old man, and not very articulate at the best of times. If he has done something wrong and is corrupt,  well then he deserves to be called out. But it is probably more likely that he has put his name to something but has little to no involvement in how it's run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

peadar76 wrote: »
    I'd have sympathy for Giles. He's an old man, and not very articulate at the best of times. If he has done something wrong and is corrupt,  well then he deserves to be called out. But it is probably more likely that he has put his name to something but has little to no involvement in how it's run.
    All the more reason he should tell us what he knows and distance himself from the foundation asap

Usually prepared statements are read out by people with things to hide.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement