Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Oh lol. So when I was 10 stone and riding for a trainer, why was I never picked for serious work along with plenty of other lads? If we'd had money, we would have paid to get rides! Why were the likes of Walsh and Barry Geraghty and Davy Russell chosen to compete at the top level?

I'm laughing that I'm even putting myself into the same sentence as those guys. You don't seem to agree that jockeys are a limiting factor in racing, ie you think they won't make a difference between winning and losing. Is that right?

That's so absurd I don't think it can be taken seriously, but maybe you can elaborate?

Not sure I need to but you mention body weight there as an important prerequisite and, let’s be conservative here, maybe that accounts for 20% of the results of a successful jockey. Let’s not forget the horse either - 70% and I think I’m being very generous in attributing 10% to the person sitting on top, whipping like mad as if that is some sort of skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

So Darts players are most definitely sportsmen, but Jockeys aren't? Is that the latest state of play here?

For sure. Darts don’t land on the bull all by themselves. Conversely, a horse could conceivably win a race with no jockey on top of them (if the rules permitted). When’s the last time a dart landed on it’s target without being thrown?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    For sure. Darts don’t land on the bull all by themselves. Conversely, a horse could conceivably win a race with no jockey on top of them (if the rules permitted). When’s the last time a dart landed on it’s target without being thrown?

Try opening the stalls 1.8 Miles away from the finish line and see how many horses sprint towards it of their own volition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Jocky Wilson > Any Jockey ever.

Try opening the stalls 1.8 Miles away from the finish line and see how many horses sprint towards it of their own volition.
    Exactly, and even that isn't doing it justice. In fairness, you could lift a random group of 15-year-olds from Pony Club and they should be able to steer a horse home.

The whole point is that it isn't about steering. There are a thousand ways to f--k up your approach to a hurdle, or a fence, or your balance; and even if you do those things perfectly, you can misread the ground, fail to consider the track (in one of my only races, I forgot Thurles had a hill). But most commonly of all, a bad jockey (and being one, i think I can say something on this) doesn't read his ride. A good jockey will will know within 5 to 10 strides if he needs to push or pull back, he had to read his own horse and then those around them. Then he has to look at what the rest of the riders in the field are adjusting betore he makes his choice. All of these judgements happen in seconds, and can't be taught. They're probably instincts.

They're absolutely crucial to how a horse fares.

Everyone understands that athletics isn't just about racing to the end line. We all know that tactics are crucial. The same is true of racing, except there's no direct line between you and your ride. You have to guess what your ride is thinking, then you have to guess what the other riders are thinking about what their rides are thinking. Naturally, most of us can't do it. It's not easy.

I know you might not even be arguing this point, I'm just replying to your post because I don't think I can be civil to someone who doesn't get it.

I wanted to be a jockey since I was about 7, being some lad commenting about the job on an Internet forum was never the dream! If people really doubt the levels of skill and insight required -- let alone the physical commitment -- I think they're deluded, genuinely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I heard OTB the other night after the "Demolition Derby" story came out about Richard Kehoe, and then the remarks from Mick McCarthy about the topic. "This sort of thing damages lives" says the almost saintly Kevin Kilbane, as Gilroy nods along like a dog. Do you know what else damages lives? Gambling destroys families. Richard Keogh just made a stupid off the cuff decision to take a lift with one of his drunk pals, but you guys make the conscious decision to promote gambling for the money it puts in your pocket.

You know these prudes have set the bar so high, I really cannot wait until one of them has their very own Justin Trudeau moment. And I think it must be coming soon.

I heard OTB the other night after the "Demolition Derby" story came out about Richard Kehoe, and then the remarks from Mick McCarthy about the topic. "This sort of thing damages lives" says the almost saintly Kevin Kilbane, as Gilroy nods along like a dog. Do you know what else damages lives? Gambling destroys families. Richard Keogh just made a stupid off the cuff decision to take a lift with one of his drunk pals, but you guys make the conscious decision to promote gambling for the money it puts in your pocket.

You know these prudes have set the bar so high, I really cannot wait until one of them has their very own Justin Trudeau moment. And I think it must be coming soon.

Are you talking about the guys on the show or the guys on boards who give out about OTB taking money from betting companies but then post in threads about betting odds/tips/success stories?

Also, if you want to have a dig at the show, it's probably best not to passively defend drink driving while doing so. I don't like betting representation on the show mostly because it is accompanied with pseudo analysis which is just waffle trying to entice someone to put a 20 on an accumulator.

Also, if you want to have a dig at the show, it's probably best not to passively defend drink driving while doing so. I don't like betting representation on the show mostly because it is accompanied with pseudo analysis which is just waffle trying to entice someone to put a 20 on an accumulator.

My point is that they cannot pretend like they care about "things that damage families and society" while they continue to promote one of those "things" for their own financial benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

styron wrote: »
    Looks like Abu Dhabi golf trip has been shelved - not hearing ads or reminder mentions anymore, some OTB site links dead and now off the travel agent's site:

pYCVs9fl.jpg

I'd say that they didn't get enough "listeners" to join their very full "celebrity" travellers & probably at least half of the OTB presenters, except Eoin (cos he is in Japan & won't be allowed out of the studio again on a jolly until at least the World Cup in 2022)
    Plus they had an early bird offer that was extended … think of those poor OTB lads that thought they had bagged themselves a trip to Abu Dabi :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

robo wrote: »
    I'd say that they didn't get enough "listeners" to join their very full "celebrity" travellers & probably at least half of the OTB presenters, except Eoin (cos he is in Japan & won't be allowed out of the studio again on a jolly until at least the World Cup in 2022)
    Plus they had an early bird offer that was extended … think of those poor OTB lads that thought they had bagged themselves a trip to Abu Dabi :eek:

Can't say they didn't give it a go (20/8):

Conor Sketches has been added to the bill for Off The Ball’s November Golf trip to Abu Dhabi. With Early Bird rates about to close the impressionist who has covered everyone from Joe Brolly to Tiger Woods is a positive addition to an already high octane line up of stars that will be on-site to entertain those travelling. “This was a great idea from Louise Wheatley, our Marketing Director, who knows Abu Dhabi from her time with Etihad,” said Off the Ball Managing Director Ger Gilroy, speaking to Sport for Business.
    “We’d been looking to build out a series of events that allow people to participate as well as just attend to layer on top of the OTB Roadshows that we do with live audiences.”
    “Our roadshows are always a brilliant night out but like everyone else we’ve seen the shift in society where people also want to be involved in things, they want to participate. So our challenge was to come up with ways to make that happen too.”
    “Our golf days fill up immediately so we thought we’d see what the appetite was like for a bit of winter sunshine, two amazing courses – Yas is in the Top 50 courses in the World, and a roadshow in a truly unique part of the world.”
    “We have loads of regular listeners in Abu Dhabi, and indeed in Dubai, so we’re delighted to be bringing them the show too. We’d hope to have 400-500 at our roadshow.”
    The show will be broadcast live from Abu Dhabi on each of the nights that the team is down there and it will be a time with plenty of reflection no doubt on the Rugby World cup which will have concluded weeks previously as well as looking back on the year of sport.

The take up has been strong enough to encourage Gilroy and the team to start planning ahead for next year as well.
    “Clearly this is an ambitious first start for sure but we’re offering discounts for groups so we hope that the corporate market will bring clients, as well as individual listeners, and groups of friends travelling in four balls.

“All told we’re aiming for 80 to 100 to start with. Our plan for 2020 would be to do something similar next year closer to home in Springtime and then go back to Abu Dhabi next winter.”

http://sportforbusiness.com/conor-sketches-added-to-otb-trip/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭roadmaster

See Game On are going to 2 hours/night. Getting a head start on the OTB schedule as well. Ruby Walsh will draw a few listeners.
    Donnacha is fairly familiar with media work at this stage but I'm not sure how he will be for a full time radio show, I haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion.

Is that just until Hugh Cahill comes back from Japan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

roadmaster wrote: »
    Is that just until Hugh Cahill comes back from Japan?

No, looks like new line-up.

styron wrote: »
    No, looks like new line-up.

That’s a shame I liked Hugh and Alan. I can’t take to ruby. The show has a lot slower pace or lack of energy at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

roadmaster wrote: »
    That’s a shame I liked Hugh and Alan. I can’t take to ruby. The show has a lot slower pace or lack of energy at the moment
    Very unfair on Hugh and Alan if it's the case that they've been booted-out! Marie Crowe is a fine journalist and broadcaster, but this reeks of RTE enforcing the gender-balance quota. I don't particularly like Ruby or DoC either. Time to move back to OTB I think :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Very unfair on Hugh and Alan if it's the case that they've been booted-out! Marie Crowe is a fine journalist and broadcaster, but this reeks of RTE enforcing the gender-balance quota. I don't particularly like Ruby or DoC either. Time to move back to OTB I think :pac:

Yeah, Hugh and Alan are good. Disappointed. Probably no LOI from now on then.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

OTB is vastly superior irrespective of their apparent self-worth and occasional pretentioness, in terms of depth of coverage and analysis by a myriad of contributors of many many sports. Game On with Hugh Cahill and Alan Cawley was full of screechy wild opinions with complete indifference to any thoughful analysis. Marie Crowe is a very good newspaper reporter. She's not a great broadcaster. Ruby Walsh and Donncha O'Callaghan as presenters and hosts of a radio sports show is as bad as it sounds. Former sportsmen thrown into something new because they're great lads, great gas altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Ruby is going to be a full time presenter? Surprised at that. He has commitments with racing tv paddy power etc as well

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭monstermag

This Rugby World Cup is all over the shop in terms of tv coverage. It's understandable why RTE have scaled back given the state of its finances and off course the time difference is another major factor, who's going to want to tune in and watch Scotland beat Russia something like 60-0 at ten in the morning.
    I was surprised when I turned on eir sport the other day only to find Tommy Bowe anchoring it's Rugby coverage and even more surprised at how good he is in the hot seat, proving it is possible to go from the field to the studio, l think he has a natural ability in front of the camera and it helps that he knows the game inside out.

OTB is vastly superior irrespective of their apparent self-worth and occasional pretentioness, in terms of depth of coverage and analysis by a myriad of contributors of many many sports. Game On with Hugh Cahill and Alan Cawley was full of screechy wild opinions with complete indifference to any thoughful analysis. Marie Crowe is a very good newspaper reporter. She's not a great broadcaster. Ruby Walsh and Donncha O'Callaghan as presenters and hosts of a radio sports show is as bad as it sounds. Former sportsmen thrown into something new because they're great lads, great gas altogether.
    But
    I Agree content wise OTB is better, I listen to otb am every-morning but I liked game on because Hugh Alan Gary would not seam to be as restricted in there views and it was presented different to otb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

monstermag wrote: »
    This Rugby World Cup is all over the shop in terms of tv coverage. It's understandable why RTE have scaled back given the state of its finances and off course the time difference is another major factor, who's going to want to tune in and watch Scotland beat Russia something like 60-0 at ten in the morning.
    I was surprised when I turned on eir sport the other day only to find Tommy Bowe anchoring it's Rugby coverage and even more surprised at how  good he is in the hot seat, proving it is possible to go from the field to the studio, l think he has a natural ability in front of the camera and it helps that he knows the game inside out.
    Not really sure what any of that has to do with OTB

• Advertisement

Not really sure what any of that has to do with OTB

Will there is a couple of posts on here questioning whether it's a good idea or not when ex sports people go into media.
    Tommy Bowe in my opinion is one that has worked out.

Raoul wrote: »
    Yeah, Hugh and Alan are good. Disappointed. Probably no LOI from now on then.

Marie Crowe played (may still do so) for St Pat's Women's team and is well up on LOI matters so I doubt that.

Unfortunately, we do have to listen to Ruby, who is a great big pain in the backside.

I wonder would Second Captains have been approached/considered for this given their origins and their experience with RTE 2.
    The time frame sounds like something they were looking for (at least the start element) at the time of the great fall out.

Where do we stand on Johnny Ward. I think I've had just about enough of him at this stage.

Where do we stand on Johnny Ward. I think I've had just about enough of him at this stage.

I think he's good.
    Very passionate about league of Ireland and seems knowledgeable on horse racing (at least from my uneducated position).

I suspect he is significantly responsible for a lot of the Friday night racing interviews most of which I've heard are excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I'm a fan. I consider Johnny and Nathan to be the best presenting duo on OTB, and they're the main reason I've started to tune-in a bit more lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

monstermag wrote: »
    Will there is a couple of posts on here questioning whether it's a good idea or not when ex sports people go into media.
    Tommy Bowe in my opinion is one that has worked out.

Interesting cause I was going to post in the WC thread the other day that anytime I see Bowe on tv he does not look natural at all. I find he stumbles over his words and his nerves are clear to see. Hopefully he’ll improve with time but he’s far from the Lineker mould of a former pro turning to presenter imo.

If it was just Johnny Ward and Dan McDonnell I'd be happy.

Interesting cause I was going to post in the WC thread the other day that anytime I see Bowe on tv he does not look natural at all. I find he stumbles over his words and his nerves are clear to see. Hopefully he’ll improve with time but he’s far from the Lineker mould of a former pro turning to presenter imo.

Maybe l got him on a good day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

I wonder would Second Captains have been approached/considered for this given their origins and their experience with RTE 2.
    The time frame sounds like something they were looking for (at least the start element) at the time of the great fall out.

Would absolutely love to have those lads back on air

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Pretty sure the evening hours were one of the reasons Ken in particular wanted a change.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Don't think RTE could afford them.

They've 11522 patreons at 5euro a month so are taking in just under 700K from that alone.

Prone to making some exaggerated statements - Connolly will definitely start in Georgia etc - and then backing down, but overall he's very likeable and a breath of fresh air on the show. Genuine Irish football and LOI fan, knows his GAA and is considered an oracle by many racing fans so I think he's been a huge addition. He also makes me laugh as he's clearly as daft as a brush and a good character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Can't make it to the Rugby roadshow next Tuesday anymore unfortunately so have 2 tickets going if anyone's interested? €20 ono, PM me

Can't make it to the Rugby roadshow next Tuesday anymore unfortunately so have 2 tickets going if anyone's interested? €20 ono, PM me

Do we get our money back if it is cancelled due to a typhoon?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Ciara Mageean excellent this morning on OTB AM again. Fast becoming one of my favourite Irish sports stars to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Prone to making some exaggerated statements - Connolly will definitely start in Georgia etc - and then backing down, but overall he's very likeable and a breath of fresh air on the show. Genuine Irish football and LOI fan, knows his GAA and is considered an oracle by many racing fans so I think he's been a huge addition. He also makes me laugh as he's clearly as daft as a brush and a good character.

I agree, I'm always happy to hear him on, has a good way about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Huge Johnny Ward fan here. He's knowledgeable and a keen sports fan. He's a great man for a story.

Remember hearing some of the lads tell a story that they were out on the town one night. They grabbed a taxi to get home. Anyway, turns out the taxi driver was from somewhere like Azerbaijan or somewhere mad like that. Anyway, it turned out the Johnny was able to sing the national anthem of whatever country the man was from. Apparently he can recite a load of national anthems in their native language.

He was talking to Nathan earlier this week and he said that he had a terrible experience the first time he went to an Irish away match. Wales away, Nathan asked was it when we lost and Johnny said No, when we won 1-0, that we played such dire football, he wanted to cry.

If he ever had ended up in front of Martin O'Neil with a microphone, Martin would have been begging for Tony O'Donohue before long.

Huge Johnny Ward fan here. He's knowledgeable and a keen sports fan. He's a great man for a story.

Remember hearing some of the lads tell a story that they were out on the town one night. They grabbed a taxi to get home. Anyway, turns out the taxi driver was from somewhere like Azerbaijan or somewhere mad like that. Anyway, it turned out the Johnny was able to sing the national anthem of whatever country the man was from. Apparently he can recite a load of national anthems in their native language.

I worked with Johnny years ago and his party piece is that he can whistle pretty much every national anthem going. Always does it to taxi drivers and always gets a great response. As I said earlier, he's as daft as a brush but a great character.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That was an excellent documentary on the 1996 All-Ireland final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭gluppers

I worked with Johnny years ago and his party piece is that he can whistle pretty much every national anthem going. Always does it to taxi drivers and always gets a great response. As I said earlier, he's as daft as a brush but a great character.

He's the soundtrack of many a gambler losing their weekly wage at a bookies

A problem gambling enabler

gluppers wrote: »

Do you think all gambling companies should be shut down? Or if not, that all gambling advertisements and sponsorship should be banned?
    Do you think that every off license and bar should be shut and all production and sales of alcohol be made illegal?

Because, if the answer is no to any of the above, then your statement is incorrect.

If the answer, is Yes, you are entitled to that view but I think it would be excessive to curtail activities which the majority of people enjoy without issue in order to protect what is a minority by a significant margin.

Care to elaborate? Because of his tipping columns?

He's the soundtrack of many a gambler losing their weekly wage at a bookies. A problem gambling enabler

I wonder was it Kilbane that got him into it with all those sensationalist ads.

Care to elaborate? Because of his tipping columns?
    I love Johnny and I sing his praises regularly, but an absolutely cat tipster.

I love Johnny and I sing his praises regularly, but an absolutely cat tipster.

Be that as it may, laying the blame for problem gambling at his feet is a bit rich. I have no time for gambling but surely the problem with gambling is not about the individuals but the industry overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

It's the OTB Junior B team on tonight in case anybody is thinking of tuning in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Anyone get that Kilbane/Delboy/chandelier reference?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

First time listening to the show in a while -

That Johnny Ward guy sounds like a transition year version of Joe Molloy. Didn't think he was particularly great to be honest.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement