Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Certainly works best with Joe. Can often give it a dodge I find though, depending on who they have on it. I like Kieran Cunningham but in small doses, he loves the sound of his own voice when he's on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Who’s this American tinged Irish accent formula 1 guy???

I get the strong sense the presenter has NO time for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Who’s this American tinged Irish accent formula 1 guy???

I get the strong sense the presenter has NO time for him

Derek Daly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

God, Risteard (as Pat Kenny) really went after Eoin Sheahan's voice there.

"Eoin you have a voice that sounds like a circular saw, like gravel under a door".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Did they ask David Meyler about the Everton Manager Silva on Sunday When he was doing co-comms for spurs everton seeing as he played Under Silva at Hull?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Eoin Sheehan continuing with his off centre video posts.
    He's good at this.

https://twitter.com/EoinSheahan/status/1192573575888289793?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Surely Giles can't last much longer. Talking last night about how Fabinho wont have it as easy against City as he did against Villa. A game he was on the bench for. Nathan is worse for not pulling him up. It's like they have too much respect for him to correct him. Unbelievable contempt for the listener.

Murdoc90 wrote: »
    Surely Giles can't last much longer. Talking last night about how Fabinho wont have it as easy against City as he did against Villa. A game he was on the bench for. Nathan is worse for not pulling him up. It's like they have too much respect for him to correct him. Unbelievable contempt for the listener.

If he still gets the listeners they’ll still employ him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

The worst thing Giles has ever said was better than the best thing Graham Hunter has ever said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Eoin Sheehan continuing with his off centre video posts.
    He's good at this.

https://twitter.com/EoinSheahan/status/1192573575888289793?s=19

Very good, but found it odd that he didnt mention that the the first supposedly 'random man in the street' he interviewed is a local sports journalist and is contesting the Mayo PRO position at convention in a few weeks

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    The worst thing Giles has ever said was better than the best thing Graham Hunter has ever said.

I agree Donie, but there are fewer more contemptible people than Graham Hunter... (I'll ask Cholo the next time I'm talking to him). I think we need to set the bar a bit higher for justifying one's position on the radio.

Oh and I heard them announce that the paper review "is back" today. No reason given as to why it took a break, but it is back and not yet refined to the trash heap. Two people I don't know, somebody called Cliona but it's not the shouty interrupty one.

I agree Donie, but there are fewer more contemptible people than Graham Hunter... (I'll ask Cholo the next time I'm talking to him). I think we need to set the bar a bit higher for justifying one's position on the radio.

Graham 'I was having coffee with (insert name of former Spanish footballer here)' Hunter.

I know that you guys love a bit of conspiracy theory. Well, I just checked that Risteard Cooper video to send on to someone and....

the section where Pat refers to Eoin's voice being like a circular saw has been cut from the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnsNpIdz5QU

I haven't had a chance to do much investigation work on this but I think it may be a) the illuminati or b) another letter (signed by all the Newstalk staff) was sent to Newstalk management, and the video had to be removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Was listening to the first 20 minutes of the Liverpool-City game yesterday.

I like Nathan's commentary. Not so sure about the co-commentator (Steven Kelly I think?). Would still love if Brian Kerr did co commentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

BPKS wrote: »
    Was listening to the first 20 minutes of the Liverpool-City game yesterday.

I like Nathan's commentary. Not so sure about the co-commentator (Steven Kelly I think?). Would still love if Brian Kerr did co commentary.

Brian Kerr was on co-commentary duty for the first game yesterday (Man U-Brighton)

Brian Kerr was on co-commentary duty for the first game yesterday (Man U-Brighton)

Great news. I used to love him on the live Saturday games on Today FM.

Hope they start using him for the main event instead of the curtain raiser from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Big shout out to Richie for the Super Hans reference this evening &#55357;&#56898;

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Have to say the Gatland interview was great. He comes across very well in those interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

"Munster plus Europe = theatre." - Joe Molloy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

The fella who was on Off the Ball this morning who wanted to run for Mayo PRO came across like a right pr1ck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

is Damien Delaney just being wheeled out as a wind up merchant now?

last night after the game, he was saying it was time to bring in Stephen Kenny now, Mick's time was up etc, before the legalities of contracts were pointed out to him. he comes across like a poor man's Richie Sadlier, back when Richie was a pain in the hoop, but he's become a lot more tolerable in the past few years.

last night after the game, he was saying it was time to bring in Stephen Kenny now, Mick's time was up etc, before the legalities of contracts were pointed out to him. he comes across like a poor man's Richie Sadlier, back when Richie was a pain in the hoop, but he's become a lot more tolerable in the past few years.

I get the feeling he is trying to make a name for himself, and unfortunately guys feel like they have to make controversial statements to be heard above all the noise now. His point was not a good one and was given the short shrift it deserved on the AM show.

On a side note, Declan Lynch is awful on the Sunday papers. Same old thing every time he's on, and the novelty wore off a long time ago.

I didn't hear his comments last night but did watch the AM show where Kenny and Gary Breen were arguing in Mick's favour (therefore opposing Delaney). half hour discussion, got pretty intense at times. Good proper debate.

Heard a clip of Gilroy and Gary Breen from OTB Am on OTB a while ago and it encapsulated why I never have and never will warm to Gilroy as a presenter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Ignoring the contract side of things, part of me agrees with Delaney, I don't really fancy our chances with Mick in charge, he has made a lot of questionable tactical decisions.

Heard a clip of Gilroy and Gary Breen from OTB Am on OTB a while ago and it encapsulated why I never have and never will warm to Gilroy as a presenter.

It made for a good debate. Very boring to have everyone agree with each other.
    Gilroys view (maybe not even his view but he was positing Delaneys comments) that McCarthy should go now I don't agree with as we are still in with a chance, but can't argue with the question of 'How are we trying to win games' and the stat of 7 goals in 8 games.

If Kenny came in and we lost just because our opponents played a stormer, it would look like it was the wrong decision and get his campaign off on the wrong foot.

Interesting from this mornings discussion also, Kenny said there was no chance that Pochettino would leave Spurs now and than Daniel LEvy wouldn;t rush in to such a decision.

Narrator: 'A few hours later'

He gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I wouldn't pay much attention to Kenny, he's about as relevant as Johnny Giles at this stage

• Advertisement

Gilroys view (maybe not even his view but he was positing Delaneys comments) that McCarthy should go now I don't agree with as we are still in with a chance, but can't argue with the question of 'How are we trying to win games' and the stat of 7 goals in 8 games.

If Kenny came in and we lost just because our opponents played a stormer, it would look like it was the wrong decision and get his campaign off on the wrong foot.

I'll listen to it tomorrow morning.

I'm not having a pop at Gilroy for having a different opinion. Cos I'd agree with much of his sentiment. But it's the way he puts his opinion across that almost always jars with me.

I'm not having a pop at Gilroy for having a different opinion. Cos I'd agree with much of his sentiment. But it's the way he puts his opinion across that almost always jars with me.

Yeah, he's marmite for a lot of people (except most in the hate category :pac:).
    He met his match with Breen and Cunningham, probably a lot of loyalty to Mick going on but still, I'm more in agreement with them than him on this one.

I don't think Gilroy was saying that McCarthy should go at all. But it was interesting for the support Breen and Kenny gave McCarthy during the debate that neither of them could answer the question about what our plan is and how we are trying to win games. To be honest, Breen came across as a bit silly at times.

I don't think Gilroy was saying that McCarthy should go at all. But it was interesting for the support Breen and Kenny gave McCarthy during the debate that neither of them could answer the question about what our plan is and how we are trying to win games. To be honest, Breen came across as a bit silly at times.

Cunningham explained our game plan as one from attacking from the wings through crosses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Agree with you fully here. Breen in particular, it was blind loyalty. Talking about the Ireland team back 17 years ago, "did we not play good football back then?". I think he was pretty offended when Gilroy said "you had Roy Keane in central midfield". :D:D

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Cunningham explained our game plan as one from attacking from the wings through crosses.

I'm not buying that. Most teams do that and there was no evidence of Ireland having a specific plan to do that at any stage in the campaign - other than the second half on Monday. In fact, the full-backs didn't do much attacking overall, you could count the amount of crosses McClean put in on one hand and the right side of midfield was never really filled by an attacking player.

Breen and Cunningham got hung up on the word 'philosophy' and taking the piss out of Gilroy, but when they were repeatedly asked they didn't really seem to know what Ireland were trying to do. The whole campaign has seemed a bit of a mish mash, with the caveman stuff of previous eras to playing out from the back and pretty much everything else in between.

• Advertisement

I'm not buying that. Most teams do that and there was no evidence of Ireland having a specific plan to do that at any stage in the campaign - other than the second half on Monday. In fact, the full-backs didn't do much attacking overall, you could count the amount of crosses McClean put in on one hand and the right side of midfield was never really filled by an attacking player.

Breen and Cunningham got hung up on the word 'philosophy' and taking the piss out of Gilroy, but when they were repeatedly asked they didn't really seem to know what Ireland were trying to do. The whole campaign has seemed a bit of a mish mash, with the caveman stuff of previous eras to playing out from the back and pretty much everything else in between.

Well the way I read it is Gilroy and many others think there’s only one “philosophy”. Passing, possession attacking football.

And Ireland’s philosophy isn’t that so the media say we don’t have a philosophy.

Like against Georgia away the ball was always going down the wing the way I remember it...unfortunately McClean and Robinson were poor and Stevens and doherty were poor for the most part as well. Fine having a philosophy but you need players to execute it and they didn’t on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Stephen Kenny is being reinvented as some kind of messiah its ridiculous.

He will absolutely revert to type aswell and start getting negative when we need results. He has the best job going at the moment.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Stephen Kenny is being reinvented as some kind of messiah its ridiculous.

He will absolutely revert to type aswell and start getting negative when we need results. He has the best job going at the moment.

Ah come on. If it was the best job going then why didn’t his predecessors do much?

He’s definitely been the most exciting underage manager since Brian Kerr, and he has no track record of ‘reverting to type’. He has a style that works for him and he’s being hired to do something different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Interesting from this mornings discussion also, Kenny said there was no chance that Pochettino would leave Spurs now and than Daniel LEvy wouldn;t rush in to such a decision.

Narrator: 'A few hours later'

He gone.

Poor old Kenny is still not over his Fabinho debacle and now this.

Poor old Kenny is still not over his Fabinho debacle and now this.

Yeah, I wouldn't blame him for either. Football is very subjective at times.

There are still some who rate Ronaldo above Messi for example....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Dick_Swiveller

Yeah, I wouldn't blame him for either. Football is very subjective at times.

There are still some who rate Ronaldo above Messi for example....

He has certainly surpassed him in the last few years.

Was listening the OTB in the car the other day and found it slightly amusing just how shocked the presenters were that Poch had been sacked.

Spurs have been diabolical this season; no creativity, no flair, no effort, terrible managerial decisions.

Why does Poch have a divine right to stay in a job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭howareyakid

He's been a top manager for them. He's brought them to be a consistent top 4 team and only a few months ago, he was competing in a Champions League final. Surely he's earned to be given a bit of time to turn it around. The problem was, in my opinion, the team got a bit stale and they didn't get enough new faces in to keep things fresh. He wanted to make changes in the summer and he wasn't backed.

He's been a top manager for them. He's brought them to be a consistent top 4 team and only a few months ago, he was competing in a Champions League final. Surely he's earned to be given a bit of time to turn it around. The problem was, in my opinion, the team got a bit stale and they didn't get enough new faces in to keep things fresh. He wanted to make changes in the summer and he wasn't backed.
    Redknapp got them to the Champions League, too. Apart from a freak run in the Champions league, they were no great shakes last year.

They haven't kicked on under him.

Dropping Moura for the final was a sacking offence tbh.

He has certainly surpassed him in the last few years.

Sure bud.

Redknapp got them to the Champions League, too. Apart from a freak run in the Champions league, they were no great shakes last year.

They haven't kicked on under him.

Dropping Moura for the final was a sacking offence tbh.

Yes, he did but I think Pochettino definitely brought them on a bit more. Can’t see how Mourinho will make a massive difference apart from the fact that he’ll be a fresh voice and he’ll get more effort out of them for the first while anyway. But without the kind of investment - that Pochettino wanted - can’t see him doing any better.

https://twitter.com/JohnDugganSport/status/1197845048290877440

I see JD is taking over the Saturday show. I always enjoy listening to him. He's very knowledgeable and always comes across as being very passionate about sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭RINO87

I enjoyed Nathan presenting on Saturdays, he really worked well with whatever guests were in for the football, but I guess he'll be doing more commentary now.

Can't really warm to JD, seems a bit bland. Might change of course when he's at the helm.

RINO87 wrote: »
    I enjoyed Nathan presenting on Saturdays, he really worked well with whatever guests were in for the football, but I guess he'll be doing more commentary now.

Can't really warm to JD, seems a bit bland. Might change of course when he's at the helm.

I was listening to a lot of the show on Saturday.

It reminded me a bit like the old Saturday show on Today FM - minus the live commentary.

Not sure if the idea of reading out listeners texts is the way to go. It will be a case of "I've been a Man United fan since the 70s and blah blah blah".

There was one funny text that John Duggan had no problem reading out - it basically was a put down on Nathan Murphy and a compliment to John.

I was listening to a lot of the show on Saturday.

It reminded me a bit like the old Saturday show on Today FM - minus the live commentary.

Not sure if the idea of reading out listeners texts is the way to go. It will be a case of "I've been a Man United fan since the 70s and blah blah blah".

There was one funny text that John Duggan had no problem reading out - it basically was a put down on Nathan Murphy and a compliment to John.

He read out a text calling himself an “encyclopedia of sport”...had to admire the sheer barefaced conceitedness of it. But it’s all a load of nonsense to me. I listen to that show mainly for Dan McDonnell. Don’t care who the host is.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement