Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Where does ger and the lads stand on darts now.
    A sport where females compete against the males. Surely that would suit their woke views or is it still brexit down the pub.

I was thinking that earlier too.

How can they be against a sport that has cheerleaders that also has a woman excelling in the men's finals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Where does ger and the lads stand on darts now.
    A sport where females compete against the males. Surely that would suit their woke views or is it still brexit down the pub.

That's a great point, I never thought about Gilory's assertion that darts was just "Brexit down the pub". So how does Gilroy now remain consistent. Is Fallon Sherrock a "Brexit down the pub" sympathizer perhaps, and should Ger call her out on this?

It reminds me of Joe Duffy - when talking about Conor McGregor he would say "In sport would you be rewarded for kicking somebody in the head", but Katie Taylor (who battered the head off at least two women this year) is a "hero".

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

They are chatting about the last decade of sport. A year too early I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

They are chatting about the last decade of sport. A year too early I believe.

Most would believe otherwise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

What’s this woeful women’s special sh1te on today? Alternating between giggling like teenagers and whining about equality. Switched off after 10 minutes. Desperate stuff altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Alternating between giggling like teenagers and whining about equality.

Sooo...regular OTB with just female voices, then?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Sooo...regular OTB with just female voices, then?

I tuned in for the paper review and noticed that it was all female, usual whinge and whine about inequality in sport. Turned on after four and they were whinging about male managers taking the jobs of female managers. Like a broken record. All sports should be judged on merit, and people should be free to watch whatever they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I tuned in and they were talking about their preferred male bodies

Thought it was a piss-take

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

I only heard the Kelly Harrington interview and thought that was good.

Who was the presenter doing the interview? She sounded D4esque.

It's up on youtube now, a Nollaig na mBan Special

I'd doubt if the tradition didn't have "women" in the title, would they celebrate it. But that's the reason for the all female panel today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I think Joe Molloy is trolling us.

He's on now telling us how he went to see Little Women over Christmas and cried during it.

BPKS wrote: »
    I think Joe Molloy is trolling us.

He's on now telling us how he went to see Little Women over Christmas and cried during it.

Joe can be a bit self righteous at times but he is a good broadcaster. I listened to Game On one night over Xmas to change things up and the quality of the broadcasting was amateurish, like a college radio station or worse.

For all their flaws, at the very least the OTB crew deliver a quality product, and even if you don't like some of the virtue signalling that goes on, you can suck it up because nearly every night they have at least one item that is well worth listening to.

For all their flaws, at the very least the OTB crew deliver a quality product, and even if you don't like some of the virtue signalling that goes on, you can suck it up because nearly every night they have at least one item that is well worth listening to.

tbh, it turns me off the show completely because it's so underhanded, almost like advertising their opinions. But Second Captains are no different, there's always some message to bring with you to live your life in their broadcasts as well. With the change of the cast on Game On, I don't think it is a serious sports show any more. I actually like Dunphy's coverage of soccer on The Stand. It is a lot more straight talking and funny, and he doesn't feel the need to include a message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Game On is terrible. Poor Donnacha O’Callaghan wouldn’t know a follow up question if it slapped him across the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Game On is terrible. Poor Donnacha O’Callaghan wouldn’t know a follow up question if it slapped him across the face.

Yeah been listening a bit more to Game On between 6-7 and it sounds like a few TY students running it some evenings. Ruby is decent but can sound fairly aggressive with some of his questioning. Donnacha is just a terrible host, he's good when theres a few people chatting about a topic but terrible in interviews individually. Marie is ok but not a radio show host, she lets the other 2 interrupt too much and isnt strong enough to get things back on track when needed.

At least with OTB everyone know their role and Joe is a good host who keeps things moving along like they should and is prepared for interviews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Dots1982 wrote: »

Can't understand why they changed to the current format. I always enjoyed the old show, Hugh Cahill is a few superior presenter to Marie Crowe, and Alan Cawley was a good foil - much better than Donnacha O'Callaghan. Maybe RTE wanted to get a token female sports presenter in, and add a few "star" names. New show is dog****

Can't understand why they changed to the current format. I always enjoyed the old show, Hugh Cahill is a few superior presenter to Marie Crowe, and Alan Cawley was a good foil -

I also thought it was very unfair to take out Hugh Cahill, who I always found likeable on the radio, and replace him with somebody who has no broadcasting experience. That must really be a big blow to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Its probably been mentioned here before but there seems to be a clear loathing between Ritchie and Joe. The exchange at the start of the show last night - Joe liking Brigid Jones and Little Women was met with disgust rather than slagging from Ritchie and then Joe trying to make a big deal of the "big" golf story, with one fan shouting cheater at Patrick Reed, was openly ridiculed by Ritchie.

I know the show tries to entertain with the so-called banter between the guests but this came across as two fellas who really don't like each other or can stand each other's opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

BPKS wrote: »
    Its probably been mentioned here before but there seems to be a clear loathing between Ritchie and Joe. The exchange at the start of the show last night - Joe liking Brigid Jones and Little Women was met with disgust rather than slagging from Ritchie and then Joe trying to make a big deal of the "big" golf story, with one fan shouting cheater at Patrick Reed, was openly ridiculed by Ritchie.

I know the show tries to entertain with the so-called banter between the guests but this came across as two fellas who really don't like each other or can stand each other's opinions.

Ritchie comes across as downright condescending with pretty much everyone on the show

deisedude wrote: »
    Ritchie comes across as downright condescending with pretty much everyone on the show

Yeah, his flippant, sarcastic nature became tiresome really quickly. He needs to dump the "cool lad down the back of the class cracking smart ar$e jokes at teacher" persona.

• Advertisement

Couldn't agree more. For all the flaws of Joe Molloy, Gilroy, etc., nothing has me reaching for the dial more than the sound of Richie's sneering voice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If there's any issue between anyone and Ritchie it's safe to take the side of the anyone. I don't know what his problem is tbh. He's also a poor stand in for Tom Dunne too.

I remember when Parkinson used to be on Ritchie said something like what do you know you only played for Laois to him and that even got my back up so you can imagine how Parkinson felt. I was actually impressed Parkinson kept it all in, and you could hear how hard he was trying.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    If there's any issue between anyone and Ritchie it's safe to take the side of the anyone. I don't know what his problem is tbh. He's also a poor stand in for Tom Dunne too.

I remember when Parkinson used to be on Ritchie said something like what do you know you only played for Laois to him and that even got my back up so you can imagine how Parkinson felt. I was actually impressed Parkinson kept it all in, and you could hear how hard he was trying.
    I used to listen a lot more regularly when wooly was on. Never heard that exchange, but it takes some neck to say that when Ritchie himself has probably never even laced-up a pair of boots!

Yeah, his flippant, sarcastic nature became tiresome really quickly. He needs to dump the "cool lad down the back of the class cracking smart ar$e jokes at teacher" persona.

It's also pretty see-through when he starts spouting facts on a topic like he is some sort of rain man, when it's pretty obvious he's spent the afternoon on Wikipedia.

It's also pretty see-through when he starts spouting facts on a topic like he is some sort of rain man, when it's pretty obvious he's spent the afternoon on Wikipedia.

I know exactly what you are talking about. Like when they are having a purportedly "off the cuff" discussion about the nicest soccer jerseys and he will say something like "Oh my favourite jersey is the Borussia Mönchengladbach away goalkeeper's jersey from the early 1980s".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

I rarely listen now but over the last few years when I have I always get a vibe from the "bants" no matter who it is, it's never very good humoured stuff where they have chemistry and natural flow of chat, it always one-upmanship and generally just bad natured alpha male bollocks. Bad put downs, I know more about this or that and you're sh*te at this and that but no real humour ever, nothing that would make you laugh. I'd say as a workplace its toxic, turnover of presenter staff is huge. You could not expect otherwise under Denis O Brien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I rarely listen now but over the last few years when I have I always get a vibe from the "bants" no matter who it is, it's never very good humoured stuff where they have chemistry and natural flow of chat, it always one-upmanship and generally just bad natured alpha male bollocks. Bad put downs, I know more about this or that and you're sh*te at this and that but no real humour ever, nothing that would make you laugh. I'd say as a workplace its toxic, turnover of presenter staff is huge. You could not expect otherwise under Denis O Brien.

Is it? Who has left?
    Colm Parkinson, Cian Murtagh and Raf are the only 3 that are coming to mind for me.

I haven't listened much lately but outside of interactions with Richie which can be strained, I think most of them seem very natural in how they get on.

That seems a bit over the top. One upmanship is rife in the media, but for the most part I think they seem to get on pretty well and I just think there are lots of new presenters due to the expansion with OTB AM.

Is it? Who has left?
    Colm Parkinson, Cian Murtagh and Raf are the only 3 that are coming to mind for me.

I haven't listened much lately but outside of interactions with Richie which can be strained, I think most of them seem very natural in how they get on.

The station in general, not the show.

• Advertisement

The station in general, not the show.

Isn't there similar turnover over at 2FM and Today FM (also a DOB station granted).

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Couldn't agree more. For all the flaws of Joe Molloy, Gilroy, etc., nothing has me reaching for the dial more than the sound of Richie's sneering voice.

I just automatically switch to Spotify if I hear he’s on.

He has made me listen less and less the last few months.

That seems a bit over the top. One upmanship is rife in the media

not between co-presenters, it should not be. the "banter" is very rarely humourous and its just awkward one upmanship on this show, maybe its just bad chemistry and they are doing their best but any time I have listened to it, its potent, just bad gags. much better when guests are in. banter stuff might suit a certain audience like yourself and previous poster.

Isn't there similar turnover over at 2FM and Today FM (also a DOB station granted).

Is that a question or a statement? I know I'll be asked but it would be laughable if you were to say RTE staff turnover was comparable to Denis's stations.

not between co-presenters, it should not be. the "banter" is very rarely humourous and its just awkward one upmanship on this show, maybe its just bad chemistry and they are doing their best but any time I have listened to it, its potent, just bad gags. much better when guests are in. banter stuff might suit a certain audience like yourself and previous poster.

Well, you're obviously an expert on radio presenting etiquette.
    You should write to them and tell them what they're doing wrong.

They must be doing something right, a lot of people who have been listening 'less and less lately' for years are still tuning in frequently it seems.

Is that a question or a statement? I know I'll be asked but it would be laughable if you were to say RTE staff turnover was comparable to Denis's stations.

Which has had more turnover over the last 5 years I wonder? Newstalk or 2FM?

I don't have the answer but I wouldn't be surprised if they were similar.

• Advertisement

They must be doing something right, a lot of people who have been listening 'less and less lately' for years are still tuning in frequently it seems.

I know you are a huge fan, which probably means you should be tuned in at this stage. It's like pissing against the wind discussing flaws of this show on this thread as you, and you only seem to have some alert set up which jumps to its defence no matter what someone has to say and it generally results in a snide baiting remark like the above before you report the poster and then some ban. Enjoy the show this evening x.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I would apply this to now former OTB guest Darren Cleary, little runt.

I know you are a huge fan, which probably means you should be tuned in at this stage. It's like pissing against the wind discussing flaws of this show on this thread as you, and you only seem to have some alert set up which jumps to its defence no matter what someone has to say and it generally results in a snide baiting remark like the above before you report the poster and then some ban. Enjoy the show this evening x.

Christ, here we go again.
    'Discussions' = whinging and complaining and any counterpoint means I'm working for the show.

You're entitled to give out about the show, I, or others are entitled to defend it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

'Discussions' = whinging and complaining and any counterpoint means I'm working for the show.

You're entitled to give out about the show, I, or others are entitled to defend it.

Yeah but without the caustic sarcasm. You need to learn to stop defending the indefensible.

See the below?

That's not discussion, that's a snide remark. Understand now?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Other than when Ritchie's on I've never got this.

As for the turnover of staff out of the main presenters only Parkinson has left and you could argue he moved up in the World with his podcast.

See the below?

That's not discussion, that's a snide remark. Understand now?

Christ on a bike, can people not just have a civil debate about the show without resorting to fighting with each other?

For what it's worth, I find the tone of this thread fairly negative. In my opinion, there's a lot of carping about presenters and some over the top comments but that's a person's right and I don't get too worked up about it.

The show is holding its own numbers wise so it's doing alot right and when compared to the competition out there - Radio 1 on a Saturday and Sunday or Game On - it's streets ahead of the rest.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but I just don't see what you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Christ on a bike, can people not just have a civil debate about the show without resorting to fighting with each other?

For what it's worth, I find the tone of this thread fairly negative. In my opinion, there's a lot of carping about presenters and some over the top comments but that's a person's right and I don't get too worked up about it.

The show is holding its own numbers wise so it's doing alot right and when compared to the competition out there - Radio 1 on a Saturday and Sunday or Game On - it's streets ahead of the rest.

It only holds its own due to the lack of alternative options. I quit as a 2019 resolution but was back listening to some of the shows within four months because I fell behind in just knowing about the main news in my favourite sports. I have Dunphy for soccer and Wooly for GAA which is great because neither are woke but I’ve had to get my rugby from OTB because I’m not mad about the other options. I’m hoping Ricky Gervais’ performance last night was the rallying call for the woke backlash many (most?) have been waiting for. Ultimately it could indicate to the woke folk of Newstalk that we like sport for sport’s sake and couldn’t give a sh1t about the social context around it. Nollaig na mban paper review? Give me a fcking break. Hope that doesn’t transgress on your SJW tendencies TMH ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I see the power rankings are back. Rather than repeat myself I'll just leave this comment from a few months back here.
    Not a Gaelic fan, but Eoin Sheahan's Gaelic power rankings reek of a Kerry man pissing on other counties from a height by telling them how bad they are.

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    It only holds its own due to the lack of alternative options. I quit as a 2019 resolution but was back listening to some of the shows within four months because I fell behind in just knowing about the main news in my favourite sports. I have Dunphy for soccer and Wooly for GAA which is great because neither are woke but I’ve had to get my rugby from OTB because I’m not mad about the other options. I’m hoping Ricky Gervais’ performance last night was the rallying call for the woke backlash many (most?) have been waiting for. Ultimately it could indicate to the woke folk of Newstalk that we like sport for sport’s sake and couldn’t give a sh1t about the social context around it. Nollaig na mban paper review? Give me a fcking break. Hope that doesn’t transgress on your SJW tendencies TMH ;)

This post is useful because it shows the hypocrisy of people giving out about the show all the time and then getting upset with their claims are challenged here.

Also, on Ricky Gervais. I found that interesting, he gave out to the attendees at the GG for using their platform advocating for various things while he himself uses Twitter extensively to highlight trophy hunting (which he is right to do). Also, he tweeted earlier today saying that he himself is a Liberal so I'm not sure he is the figurehead you are looking for.

I see the power rankings are back. Rather than repeat myself I'll just leave this comment from a few months back here.

It's a humorous piece. Sheehan has shown himself recently to be able to conceive and deliver a joke while keeping a straight face.
    Interesting thing about the rankings is how it riles others on the show when he releases them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Ahwell

It only holds its own due to the lack of alternative options.

That's bull****. At that time of night OTB's competitors are not other radio stations. Radio listener figures fall through the floor right across the board after 7pm, because that's when people turn on the TV. The only radio show to buck this trend in the country is OTB and it has done so for over a decade. A decade where "alternative options" have grown exponentially for anyone with an internet connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

This is some of the biggest piece of bollox i've read i've read on this thread and thats saying something.

Using terms like "Woke" and "SJW" only makes you sound like a tool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Oh, this should be good!

giphy.gif

Edit: ha-ha! I hadn't seen the predictable replies before I posted the above.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement