Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    I’m hoping Ricky Gervais’ performance last night was the rallying call for the woke backlash many (most?) have been waiting for.
    well considering he's done the Golden Globes several times before, and this was probably his weakest and least biting/critical performance, I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭rrs

Kilbane doesn't be on much.. Other commitments? Nathan Murphy is annoying as presenter. Molloy a good presenter but very PC. Though not many of them I'd rate.
    Tommy Rooney does be on OTB Am sometimes, he's good. Johnny Ward good for banter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I see the power rankings are back. Rather than repeat myself I'll just leave this comment from a few months back here.

Agree they are ridiculous. Especially when they are judged by your man. Fills a time slot for them I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

rrs wrote: »
    Kilbane doesn't be on much.. Other commitments?

Dancing on Ice.

It only holds its own due to the lack of alternative options. I quit as a 2019 resolution but was back listening to some of the shows within four months because I fell behind in just knowing about the main news in my favourite sports. I have Dunphy for soccer and Wooly for GAA which is great because neither are woke but I’ve had to get my rugby from OTB because I’m not mad about the other options. I’m hoping Ricky Gervais’ performance last night was the rallying call for the woke backlash many (most?) have been waiting for. Ultimately it could indicate to the woke folk of Newstalk that we like sport for sport’s sake and couldn’t give a sh1t about the social context around it. Nollaig na mban paper review? Give me a fcking break. Hope that doesn’t transgress on your SJW tendencies TMH ;)

With respect to your opinion, that's a load of horsesh*t

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Haha, I didn’t anticipate such a reaction to that! I don’t see what the problem is lads. It’s fairly well accepted that OTB is very politically correct and I don’t think too many people would argue with that. If you are “triggered” by words like ‘woke’ and SJW, the joke is very much on you. At the end of the day, these people are the drivers of PC madness and are the minority mob the OTB guys would have to answer to if they ever transgress upon modern PC rules which are a real minefield for those of us who consider ourselves rational thinkers. Clearly they too are in the minority here which is unfortunate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

At the end of the day, these people are the drivers of PC madness and are the minority mob the OTB guys would have to answer to if they ever transgress upon modern PC rules which are a real minefield for those of us who consider ourselves rational thinkers.

I would call them social justice warriors who have a passing interest in sport :pac: I honestly think that if Gilroy wasn't working on Off The Ball he would be working for an NGO and sending back a video from Africa about all the great work he was doing, whilst wearing a Paddy Power t-shirt.

I would pretty much agree with the person from the post above, Dunphy for the soccer and Woolly for the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

I actually think the powers that be in Communicorp should give Ger another crack at the breakfast show on Newstalk, he'd slot in there seamlessly if one of Cuddihy or Coleman ever departed.

He could even take over from Alan Quinlan doing the sports slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Why do you listen it to it?

I’ve never really noticed that they were overly “woke” or “SJWs”. I get they’ve to be a bit wary of the twitter backlash if a word is said too far out of line but isn’t that all modern radio shows.

I get some lads get their backs up about the “token” women’s part but you just turn off if you don’t like it. Haven’t they been banging on about being signed up to some pro-women‘a initiative for the last while? You can’t say you didn’t see it coming.

It won’t be too long before they’ll have a female co-presenter. Hopefully they’ll get a good one because a poor one will hurt the ratings more than a useless guy.

Honestly, it seems like there’s a large group in this forum who listen to people and shows they hate just to give out about them. Must be exhausting to live a life of perpetual impotent rage.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

I’ve never really noticed that they were overly “woke” or “SJWs”. I get they’ve to be a bit wary of the twitter backlash if a word is said too far out of line but isn’t that all modern radio shows.

I get some lads get their backs up about the “token” women’s part but you just turn off if you don’t like it. Haven’t they been banging on about being signed up to some pro-women‘a initiative for the last while? You can’t say you didn’t see it coming.

It won’t be too long before they’ll have a female co-presenter. Hopefully they’ll get a good one because a poor one will hurt the ratings more than a useless guy.

Honestly, it seems like there’s a large group in this forum who listen to people and shows they hate just to give out about them. Must be exhausting to live a life of perpetual impotent rage.

Some people are convinced that their world is being attacked by political correctness, women, the liberal media, Greta Thunberg etc. Now add OTB to the list they can rage against!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭monstermag

Has dave McIntyre Intyre moved on from off the ball? I haven't heard him in ages,l always enjoyed him on the show, is he with OTBAM or has he cut all links?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

monstermag wrote: »
    Has dave McIntyre Intyre moved on from off the ball? I haven't heard him in ages,l always enjoyed him on the show, is he with OTBAM or has he cut all links?

He was on over Christmas commentating. I follow him on twitter, he works for sky sports and virgin media also so probably doing more for them. Probably just contracting and has cut back. He’s their best commentator I would say.

I stopped, and now I do it only selectively because I found I was falling behind on actual sports news. People like me (anti-PC) aren’t the enraged individuals you are looking for. In fact I’m not enraged at all, just increasingly baffled that the PC nonsense that I’m so confused by has filtered its way into what used to be the best sports show on radio. As for a female presenter? Bring it on. No problem with that though I can’t help but feel if/when she is appointed it will be because she is a woman rather than because she is the best radio presenter for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Wouldn't mind less Kilbane and more Damien Delaney. Brings more to the table imo. Really enjoyed his take last night on the Whelan situation at Hearts and Wan Bissaka coming through at Palace. Kilbane bores the sh1te out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭monstermag

He was on over Christmas commentating. I follow him on twitter, he works for sky sports and virgin media also so probably doing more for them. Probably just contracting and has cut back. He’s their best commentator I would say.

Ya he's a brilliant commentator. Big loss for OTB. Always very professional. Nathan is also a very good commentator.

• Advertisement

Why do you listen it to it? I’ve never really noticed that they were overly “woke” or “SJWs”.

I used to find OTB as obligatory listening when I leave work at 7pm, but these days I couldn't be bothered. I've no interest in tuning in to hear the latest on that idiot 1 fan out of the 80,000 people that shouted something offensive to one of the players, and then looking for a greater point about how society has changed since BREXIT. Or that there is some controversy about women sports not being paid the same as men. Or about the human rights issues in some country hosting some event or other.

Thank god they weren't around when Mike Tyson was still competing, or they would have had that skeleton from the rape crisis centre in studio before each of his fights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Ahwell

I used to find OTB as obligatory listening when I leave work at 7pm, but these days I couldn't be bothered. I've no interest in tuning in to hear the latest on that idiot 1 fan out of the 80,000 people that shouted something offensive to one of the players, and then looking for a greater point about how society has changed since BREXIT. Or that there is some controversy about women sports not being paid the same as men. Or about the human rights issues in some country hosting some event or other.

Then you must be avoiding Sky Sports, BT Sports, Match of the day, Radio 5 live, Talksport, ESPN, Football Weekly, the totally football show and sports pages of every national newspaper too.

As for this comment...
    that skeleton from the rape crisis centre in studio

You've got some real issues, ****en hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,973 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Thank god they weren't around when Mike Tyson was still competing, or they would have had that skeleton from the rape crisis centre in studio before each of his fights.

You sure post a lot on this thread for someone who never listens to the show and doesn't like it.

What's that about?

Definitely doing something right when even those that hate it can't shut up about it.

I’ve heard them discuss the racist abuse. From what I heard they were pretty much like the lads on ‘Match of the Day’, seeming a little nervous and trotting out the usual line of ‘there’s no place for it in the modern game’.

I mean, it’s a sports news show. They are obliged to cover it all. They’ll cover woman not being paid, and discuss it. Especially if they have showtime to fill.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Murdoc90 wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind less Kilbane and more Damien Delaney. Brings more to the table imo. Really enjoyed his take last night on the Whelan situation at Hearts and Wan Bissaka coming through at Palace. Kilbane bores the sh1te out of me.

Kilbane is awful compared to Kenny and Delaney.

Thing that annoys me about Kilbane is he seems completely committed to not giving anything away about previous team mates, managers or behind the scenes stuff etc where as Delaney does from time to time. Kilbane also never tells you anything about a game or team that you didn’t already where as Kenny and Delaney do.

• Advertisement

Kilbane is awful compared to Kenny and Delaney.

Thing that annoys me about Kilbane is he seems completely committed to not giving anything away about previous team mates, managers or behind the scenes stuff etc where as Delaney does from time to time. Kilbane also never tells you anything about a game or team that you didn’t already where as Kenny and Delaney do.

I've enjoyed Gary Breen a lot when I've heard him. He used to be very good on the Saturday afternoon show but I think Delaney is now doing that role this season.

I enjoyed Kilbane as well to be fair, one thing he did soon after coming on board was set up a lot of interviews with former or current colleagues of his.

Charmer!

I think it probably says more about you that you don't seem to be able to get past something that doesn't really bother most.

I've enjoyed Gary Breen a lot when I've heard him. He used to be very good on the Saturday afternoon show but I think Delaney is now doing that role this season.

I enjoyed Kilbane as well to be fair, one thing he did soon after coming on board was set up a lot of interviews with former or current colleagues of his.

To be fair, what don't you enjoy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Maybe Johnny Ward was always that a SJW but I never noticed, ever since he has started showing up on OTB he has gone full on Globo-Homo.

Ahwell wrote: »
    Then you must be avoiding Sky Sports, BT Sports, Match of the day, Radio 5 live, Talksport, ESPN, Football Weekly, the totally football show and sports pages of every national newspaper too. You've got some real issues, ****en hell.

I don't have access to most of those channels to be honest. I understand that they are not the only "people with a greater message" reporting on sport. I just want the old Off The Ball back, where it was actually about the sport. Maybe I'm just more suited to podcasts.

With regard to the other issue - I lost all respect for both Gilroy and the rape crisis centre the night after the Jackson verdict was announced when they decided to hold their own kangaroo court to retry him on the national airwaves.

To be fair, what don't you enjoy?

Said it before that the road shows do nothing for me. I only listen to the rare ones but for the most part give them a miss.

I don't go on about it though....

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

I think Saturday's on OTB are great, definitely my radio highlight of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

redbuck wrote: »
    I think Saturday's on OTB are great, definitely my radio highlight of the week.

Same here. It’s great. Love the dynamic between Dan and Johnny and how Dan treats everything Johnny says with immediate sceptism.

The fact that they spend half the show watching racing on an iPad while they are answering questions is endearing as well.

Said it before that the road shows do nothing for me. I only listen to the rare ones but for the most part give them a miss.

I don't go on about it though....

Fair enough, agreed on them. The majority seem to be rugby and they are brutal. Same Keith wood and o Driscoll telling these old comical classics of when they were on a lions tour and stuck a pair of sweaty boxers on the lad who passed out after 15 pints of heino. Or some such sh*te.

I was thinking during the week would it not have better to have Roy Keane interviewed by Kilbane for that roadshow. Joe Molloy didn’t do so well with that interview and the Kilbane/Keane dynamic may have been interesting. Kilbane may not have wanted that job though.

• Advertisement

I don't have access to most of those channels to be honest. I understand that they are not the only "people with a greater message" reporting on sport. I just want the old Off The Ball back, where it was actually about the sport. Maybe I'm just more suited to podcasts.

Then you are dreaming of a show that never existed. Eoin McDevitt, Ken Early and Murph would of covered the same issues in more or less the same way. In fact they still do, on the second captains podcasts. After they left the show the presenting was split between Gilroy and Molloy. It's no different today then it was then.

Then you are dreaming of a show that never existed. Eoin McDevitt, Ken Early and Murph would of covered the same issues in more or less the same way. In fact they still do, on the second captains podcasts. After they left the show the presenting was split between Gilroy and Molloy. It's no different today then it was then.

I agree, and Second Captains are certainly on the same page in terms of political correctness. But I think it has got progressively worse on both shows over the years. And I think, similar to the other presenter roles, they will likely just pick people who have the "righteous and virtuous" opinions to fill any positions that become available.

I would love to know why Woolly left, did he make the decision, did he get kicked out, did he get sick of working with Gilroy? has he ever spoken about this on his show?

I agree, and Second Captains are certainly on the same page in terms of political correctness. But I think it has got progressively worse on both shows over the years. And I think, similar to the other presenter roles, they will likely just pick people who have the "righteous and virtuous" opinions to fill any positions that become available.

I would love to know why Woolly left, did he make the decision, did he get kicked out, did he get sick of working with Gilroy? has he ever spoken about this on his show?

What I heard was himself and Gilroy were not speaking up to 9 months before he left. They couldn’t stand the sight of one another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

Parkinson was poached by Sportsjoe.ie - the split announced in the week leading up to the Euros with him placed on infamous "gardening leave" rather than going to France with the others as planned. Likely NT found out about the pending transfer or Parkinson was naive enough to think they'd allow him serve out his notice over there.

"Political correctness" and "righteous and virtuous" are your issues with their ouput, not mine. I would broadly agree with them on most things. I think the recent spate of racial abuse at football grounds should be covered by a sports show, as should "human rights issues in some country hosting some event or other" (Yes, I am aware of the hypocrisy of the recently proposed golf trip). I've listen to OTB since Newstalk went nationwide and I just don't agree that there has been this big change. Perhaps you are more sensitive to these issues than you used to be.

I also think it is important to point out that these are two very successful shows. You may not like them, but others obviously do. This a measurable thing...Jnlr figures, Patreon subscription numbers, iTunes charts, soundcloud listens...etc

As for Woolly, he did tweet a couple of years ago that he got on with all his former colleagues in Newstalk, except for two. But Woolly falls out with people, he has a track record of it.

As for Woolly, he did tweet a couple of years ago that he got on with all his former colleagues in Newstalk, except for two. But Woolly falls out with people, he has a track record of it.

Completely, Wooly is a man whose self confidence far outweighs his intellect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Did OTB discuss that no evidence was found of racial abuse of the Chelsea centre back in the Spurs game before Christmas.

It was big news at the time it happened, just wondering did the outcome of the clubs investigation get equal coverage?

Similar to when that Holgate lad from Everton tried to say Bobby Firmino racially abused him a few years back. They reported it at the time but neglected after to say that it was proven f-all happened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

BPKS wrote: »
    Did OTB discuss that no evidence was found of racial abuse of the Chelsea centre back in the Spurs game before Christmas.

It was big news at the time it happened, just wondering did the outcome of the clubs investigation get equal coverage?

Similar to when that Holgate lad from Everton tried to say Bobby Firmino racially abused him a few years back. They reported it at the time but neglected after to say that it was proven f-all happened.

And what happened with that Mayo Girls GAA situation a while back. They were obsessed with that. Then nada

And what happened with that Mayo Girls GAA situation a while back. They were obsessed with that. Then nada

Yeah but they made an initial judgment on this, they backed Cora Staunton's team without hearing the other side. And when they found out that they were wrong, they just dropped the story. But that is the way that a lot of things work in the media - they put massive focus on stories that substantiate their own views, and completely bury those stories to the contrary.

• Advertisement

BPKS wrote: »

I’m pretty sure one of the Listen Back “combers” would have gone off on one if these things weren’t addressed.

Does anyone really think that they would purposefully ignore a “prominent” news story that people would be interested in?

Yes, they were discussing it while it was a “current event”. Maybe they could do a, sort of, “look back” piece on it someday but it’s old news now. If they were still talking about it now no one would be listening.

Do you remember when Drew Harris’ car crashed while entering Garda HQ? Some people on this site wanted that story to run forever, there was even talk that it would bring down the government but then the news moved on and people wanted to hear about something else.

Sure the whole Maria Bailey thing had the arse dragged out of it for so long people were clogging up the thread on this site with complaints over their own, personal, car insurance renewals.

If you have a serious interest in the Mayo women’s GAA “incident” I would suggest you investigate things yourself and then start up a podcast dealing with all of the evidence, coupled with the opinions of those closely linked to it. Who knows, maybe there are others, like you, who still want to hear about it.

Yeah but they made an initial judgment on this, they backed Cora Staunton's team without hearing the other side. And when they found out that they were wrong, they just dropped the story. But that is the way that a lot of things work in the media - they put massive focus on stories that substantiate their own views, and completely bury those stories to the contrary.

Ah now, but it wasn’t like that, G. Right and wrong in that one was a bit of a “minefield”.

Were you close to it yourself? My partner has family out that way, I had a chat with one of them who plays GAA and knows a few of the players and club members. From what I gathered both sides had “grievances”.

The fact that one player had a large public profile and was, somewhat, media friendly meant they would always be talking to her. I’m almost certain I heard them talking to a player and the manager at one point. The story “died” because neither side would give out the full details while the story was fresh.

But, look, if you want to believe these lads are a bunch of oestrogen injecting cuck soy boys who want the island of Ireland under sharia law there’s not much I can say to stop you but I would suggest switching the “dial”.

There must be something on the airwaves for you and your ilk. Niall Boylan’s show, maybe? I don’t know but happy hunting!

I’m pretty sure one of the Listen Back “combers” would have gone off on one if these things weren’t addressed.

Does anyone really think that they would purposefully ignore a “prominent” news story that people would be interested in?

Yes, they were discussing it while it was a “current event”. Maybe they could do a, sort of, “look back” piece on it someday but it’s old news now. If they were still talking about it now no one would be listening.

Do you remember when Drew Harris’ car crashed while entering Garda HQ? Some people on this site wanted that story to run forever, there was even talk that it would bring down the government but then the news moved on and people wanted to hear about something else.

Sure the whole Maria Bailey thing had the arse dragged out of it for so long people were clogging up the thread on this site with complaints over their own, personal, car insurance renewals.

If you have a serious interest in the Mayo women’s GAA “incident” I would suggest you investigate things yourself and then start up a podcast dealing with all of the evidence, coupled with the opinions of those closely linked to it. Who knows, maybe there are others, like you, who still want to hear about it.

No I have zero interest in Mayo Girls GAA. It was the Off the Ball fascination with the story that I found odd. Another chance for them to show their woke-ness only to be stymied by the facts.

No I have zero interest in Mayo Girls GAA. It was the Off the Ball fascination with the story that I found odd. Another chance for them to show their woke-ness only to be stymied by the facts.

What am I missing here? Is it “woke” because they’re covering women’s GAA?

A player “strike”, or any unhappiness within a camp, will always be reported on. OTB wasn’t the only show discussing it.

Is it “woke” because people seem to think they backed Cora Staunton? What about the ones who backed the manager? There were players on who weren’t on the side of the striking players. Were those ones “alt-right” then?

A player “strike”, or any unhappiness within a camp, will always be reported on. OTB wasn’t the only show discussing it.

Is it “woke” because people seem to think they backed Cora Staunton? What about the ones who backed the manager? There were players on who weren’t on the side of the striking players. Were those ones “alt-right” then?

OTB were OTT with the story and also very very one sided in their coverage.

To be fair, I think they got their coverage of this story badly wrong. They went all in on the story initially and gave it huge prominence. While it wasn't straightforward, it became pretty clear after a while that they never covered or sought the other side of the story. When it transpired that the players who walked away had overstepped the mark and had made accusations and used language about the manager that were were badly judged and, at times, untrue, it was left to other media outlets to give the full picture. OTB - and Ger Gilroy in particular - was left with egg on its face and instead of fronting up and accepting they made mistakes in their coverage, they let the story slip off the radar and stopped giving it the prominence they had.

When they allowed Giles to read out a prepared statement about the foundation, they didn't cover themselves in glory either.

• Advertisement

What were the 'facts'?

Peter Leahy appeared on Colm Parkinsons podcast and Colm covered it fairly extensively from that angle so would you say he was fascinated also? Or that it was odd?

I think Peter was invited on to OTB but choose not to attend (I could be wrong there).

Both shows seemed to let the story fade away pretty much simultaneously.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Parkinson was pretty critical of OTB's coverage of the story and then he had the Manager on.

As for how they treated Giles I don't think they could have done anymore. Once he said he was in contact with his solicitors that's that really. They had asked him in the past about the FAI and Delaney so not much more they could have done.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Parkinson was pretty critical of OTB's coverage of the story and then he had the Manager on.

As for how they treated Giles I don't think they could have done anymore. Once he said he was in contact with his solicitors that's that really. They had asked him in the past about the FAI and Delaney so not much more they could have done.

They allowed him on to read a prepared statement and agreed not to ask him a single question. His statement attacked the Sunday Times, who were not then given the opportunity to respond. Shoddy standards all round.

What were the 'facts'?

Peter Leahy appeared on Colm Parkinsons podcast and Colm covered it fairly extensively from that angle so would you say he was fascinated also? Or that it was odd?

I think Peter was invited on to OTB but choose not to attend (I could be wrong there).

Both shows seemed to let the story fade away pretty much simultaneously.

I was wondering how long it would take you to put forward your obligatory OTB defence.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

They allowed him on to read a prepared statement and agreed not to ask him a single question. His statement attacked the Sunday Times, who were not then given the opportunity to respond. Shoddy standards all round.

That's a fair point.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement