Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

I think Richie posted a while back whining about his pay cut or something ?

He did, but I made an ill thought out comment about my views on his broadcasting and he replied because he thought that I meant he should be sacked in the middle of the pandemic.

I apologised because I was in the wrong but I'm still not a fan of his broadcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

redbuck wrote: »
    He did, but I made an ill thought out comment about my views on his broadcasting and he replied because he thought that I meant he should be sacked in the middle of the pandemic.

I apologised because I was in the wrong but I'm still not a fan of his broadcasting.

Doubt very much that was him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Well, whoever it is, it is definitely an attempt at a piss-take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

Where's Ger Gilroy disappeared to?

Doubt very much that was him.

Sadly it probably was. I don't know why anyone would consider making a parody account of Richie McCormack.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Well lads, any discussion of Swing Low at all?

Maybe Richie and Ger would do a Q&A about the show with us all here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Plane over the Burnely match saying "White Lives Matter Burnley".

Nathan: "it raises the question as to how something like this could happen".

Just wait til Gilroy gets a hold of this, they will get the week out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Well it certainly raises questions so not sure what the issue with Nathan saying that is.

Best case scenario is it's completely tone deaf in the current climate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

OTB news round claims that a "far-right message" was flown over the Etihad Stadium. Wow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

OTB news round claims that a "far-right message" was flown over the Etihad Stadium. Wow.

What exactly is wrong with that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Gergilroy

Your point being?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    No doubt some empty-headed tyrant will take issue with its combative lyrics and ask that we roll over in submission. Having said that it’s all BLM right now so unless they can link it to slavery in some way, it’s probably safe for now. No doubt there’ll be somebody somewhere scanning it for controversy.
    Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Well lads, any discussion of Swing Low at all?

But it's the guys on the show who are obsessed with PC topics apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Acosta wrote: »
    Where's Ger Gilroy disappeared to?

Boards it appears.

We will know if it is the real Ger if he replies to posts he doesn't like with short, aggressive answers and some indiscernible comments like nananananananan-rarararararara at the end of his sentences.

Was looking through the OTB sports app a while ago and saw the article titled:

"FBI Investigate discovery of a noose in Bubba Wallace's Garage"

Funny, they didn't have an article on the story that broke yesterday evening that the FBI concluded their investigation and that the rope was used to hold open a door and had been there for over a year.

This is just another example of the double standards all too visible in Irish journalism at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

BPKS wrote: »

Funny, they didn't have an article on the story that broke yesterday evening that the FBI concluded their investigation and that the rope was used to hold open a door and had been there for over a year.

This is just another example of the double standards all too visible in Irish journalism at the moment.

As long as it suits the woke agenda.....

As long as it suits the woke agenda.....

Versus the head in sand agenda.

We get it, some just don't want change.

Versus the head in sand agenda.

We get it, some just don't want change.

And some want change so much they are prepared to do whatever it takes - such as only reporting one side of the story:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭chasingpaper

There is much hypocrisy in footballers/FA/broadcasters protesting civil rights and anti-racism in US and UK, while at the same time accepting huge sums of money directly and indirectly from the Middle East.

We will see how strongly they feel about exploitation and inequality in Qatar 2022, it is harder to protest if it might actually hurt your bottom line.

• Advertisement

There is much hypocrisy in footballers/FA/broadcasters protesting civil rights and anti-racism in US and UK, while at the same time accepting huge sums of money directly and indirectly from the Middle East.

We will see how strongly they feel about exploitation and inequality in Qatar 2022, it is harder to protest if it might actually hurt your bottom line.

Exactly.

Raheem Sterling had no problem when the people who were paying him €250k a week were bombing the sh1te out of Yemem at the same time.

Those black lives definitely didn't matter too much for him.

You should think about this statement.

The phrase 'who pays the piper, calls the tune' was first used about 400 years ago.

It's hardly surprising and this is why some organisations and individuals have long sought to have control over those who have a voice. But does that mean people should not talk about something just because they don't mention the actions of someone who could fire them if they do so?

See it here all the time, 'the shouldn't be talking about things like that, it's a sports show' and 'they shouldn't be talking about Person A when Person B is their boss and is not that perfect'.
    Both arguments being used by people who in my view just don't want any of those sort of conversations to be had.

But it's the guys on the show who are obsessed with PC topics apparently.

Post makes no sense. They are obsessed and it elicits a response here.

Haha, didn't hear about that. So all the NASCAR crews were marching behind his car for nothing? Embarrassing.

And some want change so much they are prepared to do whatever it takes - such as only reporting one side of the story:rolleyes:

It's worse than only reporting one side of the story, it's reporting unsubstantiated claims as fact, and never having a follow up report to correct themselves when it has been disproven. aka Fake News.

Gergilroy wrote: »
    Your point being?

So what your saying is white people don't matter and to say the opposite is to be a far right extremist?

• Advertisement

So what your saying is white people don't matter and to say the opposite is to be a far right extremist?

“White Lives Matter” is a slogan coined by the white supremacist group Aryan Renaissance Society and was later adopted by other groups like the KKK. So it is perfectly legitimate to refer to it as a "far-right message".

Ahwell wrote: »
    “White Lives Matter” is a slogan coined by the white supremacist group Aryan Renaissance Society and was later adopted by other groups like the KKK. So it is perfectly legitimate to refer to it as a a "far-right message".

Then how come when the players take a knee before kick-off, it's not reported as "the players take a knee to show solidarity for a radical neo-Marxist political movement"?

Then how come when the players take a knee before kick-off, it's not reported as "the players take a knee to show solidarity for a radical neo-Marxist political movement"?

If you can't see the difference between the "Black lives matter" movement and white supremacists, that's your problem.

If you can't see the difference between the "Black lives matter" movement and white supremacists, that's your problem.

If you can't see the difference bettween the BLM movement and a lot of thuggery you must be blind.

Haha, didn't hear about that. So all the NASCAR crews were marching behind his car for nothing? Embarrassing.

Sure why would you hear it when woke libtard cuck outfits like OTB only report the half of the story that suits them?

Bit like that Cora Staunton debacle last year.

• Advertisement

If you can't see the difference bettween the BLM movement and a lot of thuggery you must be blind.

Ah...that doesn't make sense, I think you might what to rephrase that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

I think i'm done with this thread

I enjoy listening to Off the Ball but I'm sick of reading backward sh1t from racists, sexists and cavemen

If you don't like Off the Ball switch the ****ing station or listen to another podcast. There are plenty of other options out there

deisedude wrote: »

I enjoy listening to Off the Ball but I'm sick of reading backward sh1t from racists, sexists and cavemen

If you don't like Off the Ball switch the ****ing station or listen to another podcast. There are plenty of other options out there

Cool bro - don’t let the door hit you on the ass and all that....

Ah...that doesn't make sense, I think you might what to rephrase that.

* the connection between the two.

Anyway the police are not pursuing the flying of that banner the other night as no crime was committed. It was slighy less barbaric than all the blm protests where anarchy, violence and criminality was the order of the day.

Anyway the police are not pursuing the flying of that banner the other night as no crime was committed. It was slighy less barbaric than all the blm protests where anarchy, violence and criminality was the order of the day.

Except that this isn't remotely close to being true.

There are still protests going on daily throughout America but it isn't known about by many who don't see violence and so presume nothing is happening.

Thugs Lives Don't Matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

There are still protests going on daily throughout America but it isn't known about by many who don't see violence and so presume nothing is happening.

I'm not sure about that, were the George Floyd protests for a worthy cause? Absolutely. Did this include opportunistic anarchy, violence and criminality by those had only interest in destruction and theft? Absolutely.

Just like our nascar driver story where you don't get the full picture, we are seeing/saw only a fraction of the destruction, violence and theft that took place. Those far right idiot football hooligans in the UK got a lot more press and condemnation than any of the stuff that has happened worldwide and that was just one event early morning which was contained within a few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

For someone who previously posted about "Versus the head in sand agenda, the level of hypocrisy in this statement is staggering.

For someone who previously posted about "Versus the head in sand agenda, the level of hypocrisy in this statement is staggering.

Do you want to give an estimate as to what percentage of all protest marches have resulted in or consisted of any level of violence?

Because, I am living in the US and in the city I am in, there are still protests every day but there was only one night of anything resembling violence and that was over 2 weeks ago.

• Advertisement

Lot of "based" bros here in this thread. Ironically anytime I checked this thread over the past year all I see are sensitive "red pilled" posters constantly triggered by utterly banal sh!te. The people who crow on constantly by the " soft libtards" on this thread are often the same perpetually offended posters who get outraged at the drop of a hat if their own "based" political opinion isn't represented.

How dare a sports show that broadcasts over 20 hours of content every week not talk about only sports when there has been no sports on for the last few months. Do you lot not have a shred of self awareness? It's quite a different level of cringe. I suppose some weak individuals have to indulge their hobby of being recreationally offended. Oh and I think it's appropriate to end with, black lives matter. Because it should quench your thirst for outrage.

Don't know who had a problem with non sports stories on Off The Ball as of late. Haven't been reading most this thread as bar the odd segment i don't listen to much OTB at all anymore. Johny Giles, The Saturday football chat and The Sunday Paper Review, thats about all i like or listen to but i see no problem discussing matters outside of sport. Whatever floats your boat. We all have the option to tune in and out as we please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

deisedude wrote: »

It's not just this thread, it's Boards as a whole.

Remember, if the Boards poll was the presidential election, we'd have that imbecile Peter Casey as our head of state because he said something or other about travellers.

All the woke bros getting triggered.

All the woke bros getting triggered.

Looks like a struck a nerve ;)

Looks like a struck a nerve ;)

Ok, invent your own reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

God I don't think you could have anybody more excited for Djokovic to get Corona virus than our OTB friends. If he ever gets cancer I'd say they will have a party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

God I don't think you could have anybody more excited for Djokovic to get Corona virus than our OTB friends. If he ever gets cancer I'd say they will have a party.

djokovic sounds like a headbanger fair enough, but i found that pretty distasteful to be honest. they were outright celebrating the fact that somebody had contracted the virus, giggling and spluttering. they had some US tennis corespondent on and he was clearly trying to maintain composure and not get sucked into their charade enjoying what has happened, kept probing him about what other tennis players think about him. very little sniggering about the heap of golfers that are pulling out of travelers championship due to contracting or having close contact with someone infected. I thought golf was the number one safe sport that could go ahead without issue.

djokovic sounds like a headbanger fair enough, but i found that pretty distasteful to be honest. they were outright celebrating the fact that somebody had contracted the virus, giggling and spluttering. they had some US tennis corespondent on and he was clearly trying to maintain composure and not get sucked into their charade enjoying what has happened, kept probing him about what other tennis players think about him. very little sniggering about the heap of golfers that are pulling out of travelers championship due to contracting or having close contact with someone infected. I thought golf was the number one safe sport that could go ahead without issue.

At least they had a nice little pay cut because of
    Covid 19. I’d say behind all the bravado they’re having a little weep.

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    It's not just this thread, it's Boards as a whole.

Remember, if the Boards poll was the presidential election, we'd have that imbecile Peter Casey as our head of state because he said something or other about travellers.

It's Boards as a whole, unfortunately. The loonies have taken over the asylum.

I haven't checked this thread in months, but I'm not surprised to see that certain fairly extreme views dominate here, that posters are emboldened by each other and outrage (ironic!) has become normalised, and anyone trying to give an alternative opinion is just shouted down.

Every miserable post now is pushing the same dumb agenda. I also find it fascinating to see how people who claim not to like the show or even listen to it are so exercised by it. It's a pity as people who genuinely want to talk about the show have been driven away. This thread is a microcosm of the problems Boards faces on a wider level.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement