Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭rrs

I'm not doubting they wanted him back. It just seemed all appropriate that this was leaked involving his own County,

rrs wrote: »
    I'm not doubting they wanted him back. It just seemed all appropriate that this was leaked involving his own County,

I think he's given a fairly good account of how the controversial bit at the end made it on air - while throwing a colleague under the bus! - and nearly everyone accepts his bona fides on that. He had very little to gain from it being aired and loads to lose from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I think it was a genuine mistake. Those recordings are spliced together in to a podcast which is probably released at a set time rather than being something which goes out live.

Yeah I think it was just a simple mistake as well. There was no real upside for Parkinson to leak the information, as it risked every future guest on the show refusing an interview for fear of something similar happening to them. If I was going to speak to him on the show, I would be looking for reassurance that nothing would be leaked. And that he wouldn't put me in one of his polls!
    t's one thing disagreeing with someone, and another thing entirely to list them in a poll on a tweet as he did. And then acknowledging that he was setting up those polls after an evenings drinking (whether true or not) just doesn't look professional.

While I do admire the rebel in any broadcaster (especially given that we live in a State that seemingly has broadcasters who all share the same opinions on everything), I just don't think this battle was worth starting. It seems a little petty and I don't think anything positive will come from it.

Did you see the latest on OTB Twitter storm.

https://twitter.com/glynner__/status/1355300431531036672/photo/1

Es7-js0WMAECIBR?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

The plot thickens.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

I see the usual snowflakery is alive and well here, lead principally by TMH as usual. I suppose the reason you criticise Wooly (and McKenna) is because they have opinions that deviate from the norm and there’s no way we can be having that in Ireland today. Differences of opinion and the expression of a counter-belief is simply not tolerable, most particularly when it comes to the Church of Covid and the compulsion to bow at its altar. I personally think McKenna is a prick. He’s bigoted towards my main sport, which is rugby, but he can say what he wants and he has every right to do so. I’ll even gladly listen to him do it the rare time he does actually appear in the vanilla-flavoured Irish media. On Wooly, no week could be better than last to compare the quality of his show vs OTB. They both interviewed one of the GAA’s most interesting and colourful characters, Shane Curran. Wooly got a very good interview out of him which shouldn’t be difficult to achieve, but somehow OTB managed to produce a banal, useless dirge that I didn’t even bother finishing it got so boring. Wooly offers passion, colour, an uncensored opinion and all of himself in his shows and the squares around here still crave the sterile, mundane, paint-by-numbers approach of OTB. I suppose not to be unexpected on the OTB thread but there has been more criticism than praise here over the long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Timmy McCarthy was painful on The Paper Review yesterday.

Tied himself up in knots over the Sexton point he was trying to make and then played the "I've coached and national level" card to try to dismiss Joe's point.

Felexicon wrote: »
    Timmy McCarthy was painful on The Paper Review yesterday.

Tied himself up in knots over the Sexton point he was trying to make and then played the "I've coached and national level" card to try to dismiss Joe's point.

Fairly watery line-up. The analysis from both guests was shallow at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Ahwell

That tweet has been deleted, I suspect the hypocrisy of doing so when in that very tweet he was calling out Mccormick for having once deleted his account is lost on Parkinson. Not to mention, the keyboard warrior-ness of the tweet accusing somebody else of being a keyboard warrior.

This thread is getting out of hand, going to pause it for moment until more Radio Mods, who can keep track, become available. Apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭monstermag

I see the lads have Patrick Reed on the naughty list along side fellow "contrarian" Novak Djokovic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

monstermag wrote: »
    I see the lads have Patrick Reed on the naughty list along side fellow "contrarian" Novak Djokovic.

Everyone has these 2 guys on their sports respective naughty lists at the moment do they not?

Or if not, then both have at least been involved in significant talking points in the recent weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Not a big NFL person by any means but have enjoyed the super bowl content this week

I gave some of it a try but I just can’t listen to Irish people talking about the NFL. Pure cringe.

Any word on Andy Lee or is he persona non grata on the show now? I presume that he was one of the many people that they contacted but who did not want to take part on their show discussing the documentary on Monday night?

In fairness to OTB, it's a brave decision to cover the story.

Any word on Andy Lee or is he persona non grata on the show now? I presume that he was one of the many people that they contacted but who did not want to take part on their show discussing the documentary on Monday night?

In fairness to OTB, it's a brave decision to cover the story.

I would assume Lee has been blackballed. I'm disappointed in Lee, as he always came across as someone with a set of values. Taking money from MTK is not a good look.

Molloy was good on the topic - didn't just cover it for the sake of it and asked some good questions of the guests. Credit to OTB for pursuing the story.

I would assume Lee has been blackballed. I'm disappointed in Lee, as he always came across as someone with a set of values. Taking money from MTK is not a good look.

Molloy was good on the topic - didn't just cover it for the sake of it and asked some good questions of the guests. Credit to OTB for pursuing the story.

Think it could just as well have been that Lee stepped back from OTB himself rather than them black-balling him.
    He'd have known that he would have been asked directly so rather than put himself in a hard place, he may have chosen to step away.

Will never know unless it is referred to specifically by either party. It was a strange move by Lee mind given his involvement with the show. Obviously money was a factor you'd imagine.

I think Kieran Cunningham deserves a lot of credit for pushing this story. He probably received his fair share of 'interesting' DM's on Twitter for doing so and I see some MTK associates are pushing the #ignoreIrishmedia angle again.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

Think it could just as well have been that Lee stepped back from OTB himself rather than them black-balling him.
    He'd have known that he would have been asked directly so rather than put himself in a hard place, he may have chosen to step away.

Will never know unless it is referred to specifically by either party. It was a strange move by Lee mind given his involvement with the show. Obviously money was a factor you'd imagine.

I think Kieran Cunningham deserves a lot of credit for pushing this story. He probably received his fair share of 'interesting' DM's on Twitter for doing so and I see some MTK associates are pushing the #ignoreIrishmedia angle again.

Kieran Cunningham has been excellent, hes good on most topics..

Couldn't have anything but the height of respect for Cunningham and Nicola Tallant

Billy Joe Saunders showing again on his social media last night that he's the lowest of the low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

Any chance Newstalk could send Eoin Sheehan out a decent mic to his gaff so he doesn't sound like he's broadcasting from his phone?

Acosta wrote: »
    Any chance Newstalk could send Eoin Sheehan out a decent mic to his gaff so he doesn't sound like he's broadcasting from his phone?
    think he's working from Killarney sense Covid kicked in, Tommy Rooney is working from Clare as that's where his other half is from.

Death, taxes and Tell Me How contradicting your point on the OTB thread. It's comforting in a way.

Ger could be getting a roasting in the morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Piehead

Ger could be getting a roasting in the morning...

Why?

Piehead wrote: »
    Why?
    called Wales rubbish and said Ireland would destroy them, be a miracle if we win now

• Advertisement

called Wales rubbish and said Ireland would destroy them, be a miracle if we win now
    hopefully I'll be proven wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Wales are still rubbish. 65+ minutes against 14 men and squeaking to a narrow win

If Ireland had 15 players they would have won comfortably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

deisedude wrote: »
    Wales are still rubbish. 65+ minutes against 14 men and squeaking to a narrow win

If Ireland had 15 players they would have won comfortably

But they didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Ger is insufferable.
    He has to be the most obnoxious person in Ireland. Even worse than Joseph Duffy.

Mocking the Welsh accent yesterday morning. What a muppet. Not very Woke Ger...
    But he kept saying, welcome to our new welsh listeners. As if his trolling and ridiculous comments will entice the welsh to be regular listeners.

Arseehole for all to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

cms88 wrote: »
    But they didn't

Do you not understand what the word "if" means?

That Wales team is p1ss poor. A moment of stupidity from O'Mahony changed the game

I don't rate Ireland either, I think we are still well off the top teams

• Advertisement

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    Ger is insufferable.
    He has to be the most obnoxious person in Ireland. Even worse than Joseph Duffy.

Mocking the Welsh accent yesterday morning. What a muppet. Not very Woke Ger...
    But he kept saying, welcome to our new welsh listeners. As if his trolling and ridiculous comments will entice the welsh to be regular listeners.

Arseehole for all to see.

You're going out of your way to find him on a social media platform.

If someone who clearly hates him is going to such efforts to listen, I think he can be forgiven for suggesting some Welsh listeners might be listening. Either that or maybe they got some messages from Welsh people who listened in to see what Irish media were saying about the game at the weekend.

Some amazing bravery again by Kieran Cunnhingham to speak about the boxing situation yesterday evening, when even boxers are all running away from the topic. Where is Andy Lee? Fair play to Joe as well for tackling the subject. Would be so much easier for them all to just ignore the story in the way that all the youtube boxing channels are currently.

Some amazing bravery again by Kieran Cunnhingham to speak about the boxing situation yesterday evening, when even boxers are all running away from the topic. Where is Andy Lee? Fair play to Joe as well for tackling the subject. Would be so much easier for them all to just ignore the story in the way that all the youtube boxing channels are currently.

He's been a stalwart on it for several months, if not years at this point. Him and Nicola Tallant.

There wasn't anything new on the Panorama show last week that people in Ireland didn't already know if they had being paying any attention but it would have been knew to many in the UK.

The lack of pick up on the story within boxing media circles indicates the fix is in though and with someone like Amir Khan saying publicly that 'We need people like Dan', unfortunately I think Kinahan probably feels he is winning the PR war at the moment.

Some of the boxers involved such as Frampton showed their colours once again in how they baited McGuigan after the show and I suspect that Kieran has gotten his fair share of unpleasant messages himself.

Edit: Just saw a tweet from Kieran where he showed just how personal this story to him, and a response to that tweet from someone was what I was talking about above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

deisedude wrote: »
    Do you not understand what the word "if" means?

That Wales team is p1ss poor. A moment of stupidity from O'Mahony changed the game

I don't rate Ireland either, I think we are still well off the top teams

Yes i do. As they say if my granny had balls and all of that

You're going out of your way to find him on a social media platform.

If someone who clearly hates him is going to such efforts to listen, I think he can be forgiven for suggesting some Welsh listeners might be listening. Either that or maybe they got some messages from Welsh people who listened in to see what Irish media were saying about the game at the weekend.

Great, so we can all agree ger is an obnoxious arseehole.
    What a horrible person

Serious shake up of the Sunday Paper Review required or else let it die on the vine. Didn't hold out much hope when I saw Shane Hannon, Máire Treasa and Hector on the show yesterday and got about 15 minutes into it before I gave up. We got a blow by blow of MT's vaccine and a few sermons from the mount as usual.

If it's the same old guests over and over, then I think the slot has run its course. Always looked forward to it, but can't remember the last time it delivered. While it suffers for not having Joe in the main seat, the main issue is the small pool of guests that seem to be on shuffle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭gluppers

Serious shake up of the Sunday Paper Review required or else let it die on the vine. Didn't hold out much hope when I saw Shane Hannon, Máire Treasa and Hector on the show yesterday and got about 15 minutes into it before I gave up. We got a blow by blow of MT's vaccine and a few sermons from the mount as usual.

If it's the same old guests over and over, then I think the slot has run its course. Always looked forward to it, but can't remember the last time it delivered. While it suffers for not having Joe in the main seat, the main issue is the small pool of guests that seem to be on shuffle.

Seriously, what does Tractor offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Had to turn it off too. Sweet lord above (I’m not religious) I thought I’d heard some politically correct moralising and pontification on this show before but Maire Treasa, if the Church of Latter Day Covidians is canonising anyone in 2021, YOU get my vote to be first in line for those particular awards (if you could describe them as such). It’s all “safety this, distance that, protect the vulnerable”. We get it! You are a good and virtuous parishioner because you’ve put the needs of your church above those of everything else as the virus ravaged the country. Point well made, now back to the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Yeah turned it off myself as well and I'd usually just plough through with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Got to say I'm a bit disappointed all of the golf weekly stuff is going behind a paywall in March. Definitely enjoy that hour over most the others they put out when I do listen. Would have thought they'd keep some sort of free golf content going as having a free show is usually used as an advertisement to drive more customers to pay monthly.

Also don't like the one subscription fits all plan. Some months I won't listen to any podcasts on a specific topic. I'm not against paying for content, just like to have the freedom to choose what I'm paying for, like they plan to have golf interviews which is usually something I'd pass on as sportspeople still involved in the game don't have an opinion on anything. They should have a pay as you go option too in my opinion, a euro or so a podcast.

And have to agree with the Sunday Paper Review, another hour that was a very good listen which has fallen away the last while. I rarely get through the whole show if either Joe isn't leading the show as he is head and shoulders the best at what he does at OTB or the guests are poor. And more and more it seems they have barely flicked through the papers/stories they're meant to discuss or have formed an opinion on the topics coming up. Seems to be a lot of 'oh I didn't read that story' or 'i don't have much to add' or 'i'm just going to talk about whatever pops into my head/I want to talk about'.

1 - it's an opinion show, research the topics and form one.
    2 - research the topic and play devils advocate if the other guest has a similar opinion to yourself.
    3 - don't go on the show because you're offering nothing.

• Advertisement

Fromvert wrote: »
    Got to say I'm a bit disappointed all of the golf weekly stuff is going behind a paywall in March. Definitely enjoy that hour over most the others they put out when I do listen. Would have thought they'd keep some sort of free golf content going as having a free show is usually used as an advertisement to drive more customers to pay monthly.

Also don't like the one subscription fits all plan. Some months I won't listen to any podcasts on a specific topic. I'm not against paying for content, just like to have the freedom to choose what I'm paying for, like they plan to have golf interviews which is usually something I'd pass on as sportspeople still involved in the game don't have an opinion on anything. They should have a pay as you go option too in my opinion, a euro or so a podcast.

And have to agree with the Sunday Paper Review, another hour that was a very good listen which has fallen away the last while. I rarely get through the whole show if either Joe isn't leading the show as he is head and shoulders the best at what he does at OTB or the guests are poor. And more and more it seems they have barely flicked through the papers/stories they're meant to discuss or have formed an opinion on the topics coming up. Seems to be a lot of 'oh I didn't read that story' or 'i don't have much to add' or 'i'm just going to talk about whatever pops into my head/I want to talk about'.

1 - it's an opinion show, research the topics and form one.
    2 - research the topic and play devils advocate if the other guest has a similar opinion to yourself.
    3 - don't go on the show because you're offering nothing.

That's interesting. Not a golf fan so don't listen to it. What sort of fee are they talking about?
    The 24Hr sporting radio thing must be gone now is it, I haven't noticed it referred to pretty much since it's launch and if it was working, surely they'd be marketing that and provide the golf podcasts and others within it.

Fromvert wrote:

Yeah very disappointed to hear it. The extra content they mentioned doesn't appeal to me at all, interviews are the worst part of the show usually. €3.99 per month for 6/7 podcasts isnt worth it for me

Yeah very disappointed to hear it. The extra content they mentioned doesn't appeal to me at all, interviews are the worst part of the show usually. €3.99 per month for 6/7 podcasts isnt worth it for me

The cycling channel GCN has launched GCN Live which will give access to extended documentaries and live races throughout the season. That's E50/year so essentially same price as this podcast.

The cycling channel GCN has launched GCN Live which will give access to extended documentaries and live races throughout the season. That's E50/year so essentially same price as this podcast.

GCN+

Great offer with the live racing thrown in, but you can be sure it'll be double or treble that in year 2. The production values on their documentaries are excellent. Big drawback is you can't get it onto a TV so you're going to be casting from your phone or a tablet.

The golf does sound very expensive for such a narrow remit and for something with such low overheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Wilbury Twist

I wouldn't be surprised if Joe Molloy eventually takes over the Pat Kenny slot on Newstalk when Pat retires or decides to hang up the microphone.

I'm not sure if it is because Joe is so good or the fact that the other presenters in the main make Joe look so good by being on a different level. It's like a third round FA Cup match between a Premier League team and a Vauxhall Conference side, it's a shock when the Conference side can match the Premier League side.

There can be a student College FM virtue signalling radio feel about OTB at times in my view. I do think Nathan Murphy is a top notch live match day commentator, John Duggan suited to the Sunday relaxing at end of week slot...would like to see Eoin Sheehan do more anchor main role broadcasting to see what he would be capable of delivering, he currently always seems to be in the side kick/co-presenter role.

The paywall for the Golf podcast - will be interesting to see subscription figures in time - i would rate the golf pod as the most consistently good pod on OTB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Is the golf podcast going behind a paywall a stalking horse to see if OTB might consider putting all their content behind a paywall?

I enjoyed o'driscoll this morning.
    At the end ger made some great points, that the Welsh are all set for a grand slam, and many of their players could get into the lions squad, and it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of lads.

I agree with him. Very thoughtful as usual from a top sports broadcaster. I thank him for his service. Top fella.

He also mentioned the james mcclean issue, and they'll discuss it tomorrow.
    Ger gave a top class opinion about James last July. It's a quality youtube video. I throughly enjoyed it.

Is the golf podcast going behind a paywall a stalking horse to see if OTB might consider putting all their content behind a paywall?

Not sure how that would work when most of their stuff is broadcast on radio? Doubt many would pay for additional interviews or stuff like the crappy quiz that OTB do. Suppose Fionn and Peter dont work for OTB or NT so are getting nothing for doing the show so wanted some reward for their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Piehead

Not sure how that would work when most of their stuff is broadcast on radio? Doubt many would pay for additional interviews or stuff like the crappy quiz that OTB do. Suppose Fionn and Peter dont work for OTB or NT so are getting nothing for doing the show so wanted some reward for their work.

I think Ger is very jealous of the Second Captains revenue stream

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Piehead wrote: »
    I think Ger is very jealous of the Second Captains revenue stream

Based on?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement