Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pension AVCs for teachers

• 26-09-2012 7:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

OK so had a call from Cornmarket and he recommended AVCs under the ASTI scheme. I'm 32 and in my fifth year teaching so have some ground to make up in terms of pension.

Is this the best option? I'd love to hear other teacher's opinions. I've read some of the other options may be better so what is the general consensus?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Wouldn't go near Cornmarket, pushy in the extreme and you'll probably get better offers from other places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

wingnut wrote: »
    OK so had a call from Cornmarket and he recommended AVCs under the ASTI scheme. I'm 32 and in my fifth year teaching so have some ground to make up in terms of pension.

Is this the best option? I'd love to hear other teacher's opinions. I've read some of the other options may be better so what is the general consensus?

Tell him to f##k off. They would suck the lifeblood out of you.

You cant retire on full pension until you are 65 so that leaves you with 38 years service. Get independent advice, those lads don't care what they sell once they get commission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭derb12

Primetime ran an investigation into Cornmarket pushing AVC products onto teachers a few years ago. It was basically a scam. Many of the teachers in question would have been better off purchasing notional service from the department to bring them up to their full years service at retirement age.
    I would tread very carefully and get independent advice.

Here's a related thread on askaboutmoney http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=97041

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Thanks for the thread its a bit old though. Can we still do NSPs. Where would I get information on this. Anyone recommend a broker that deals with Teachers via a PM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

just came across this crowd in Maynooth from AAM threads (sorry boardsies) (HERE

I havn't tried them but it appears that they are not linked to any pension providers and offer independent advice, and are geared towards public sector

Not affiliated in any way etc etc.. (and also havn;t been a customer of theirs yet)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Thanks - will check them out! Would love get the low down from a teacher - all the unions have vested interests in their own providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 applepip

I was in your boat....felt bullied and penalised for even contemplating a second opinion :(
    I searched through several companies and the one i found that covered everything i needed to know and more was Irish Pension Solutions....all the teachers i work with have changed over and im delighted :)

Advertisement