Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live in Carlow without owning a car?

Options
  • 26-09-2012 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

The bf and I are gonna be moving from Dublin to Carlow in a short while. Neither of us drive, or plan to. We want to find a place in/near a town and amenities and close to the a train station if possible. Can anyone name a few areas that would be suitable, and we can then look at housing in the area? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I suggest you get on google maps. Tullow Street is probably centre of the town and the train station is on St Joseph's Road and just check the walking distance from each estate/house you're looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ShelTomato

Perfect. Also, is there any particular areas that I should avoid? We're gonna get the train down and stroll around and see, just trying to narrow down the search :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭coroner29

Staplestown Road, Pollerton Road...Tesco and LIDL within walking distance and Medical Centre on Clayton Hall street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭jimbo79

ShelTomato wrote: »
    Perfect. Also, is there any particular areas that I should avoid? We're gonna get the train down and stroll around and see, just trying to narrow down the search :)

when it comes to renting, avoid the laurels, burrin manor and you are probably best stay on the town side of the bridge

Oooh there's a few houses in the Laurels we were eyeing up on daft! What's up with them, just a ****ty area?

• Advertisement

Oooh there's a few houses in the Laurels we were eyeing up on daft! What's up with them, just a ****ty area?

well one block of them are burned out, seriously i would avoid that area.

That sounds pretty rough alrite! What about Graiguecullen, do you know what it's like round there?

That sounds pretty rough alrite! What about Graiguecullen, do you know what it's like round there?

if you are looking at ferrybank in graiguecullen again it's not somewhere i would live, they flung up blocks of apartments down there and let every sort into them, http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1187636

the link i posted would be very central it's just off the main street
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1264035

this one too just off main street

That actually looks pretty good, we're gonna try for a house if we can though, but will settle for an apartment if we must :P http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1250873 this one anywhere near the town? Thanks for your help, it's a nightmare trying to find a place to live before we even visit, just don't have time to go down and look til next week so I wanna narrow it down!

That actually looks pretty good, we're gonna try for a house if we can though, but will settle for an apartment if we must :P http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1250873 this one anywhere near the town? Thanks for your help, it's a nightmare trying to find a place to live before we even visit, just don't have time to go down and look til next week so I wanna narrow it down!

yeah that would be a good spot, your just a few minutes from anything, and you dn't have to share your front door with anyone, the second link i posted would be fairly sought after if your main option fails it is a very quite building, lived there myself years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

I have a house to let in magamnha road, very close to railway station a 5 min walk to top of tullow street

The rent prices in Carlow are amazing compared to Dublin, we were renting a 1 bed apartment in Blanchardstown for €750 a month, and that was as cheap as you can get really

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

jimbo79 wrote: »
    if you are looking at ferrybank in graiguecullen again it's not somewhere i would live, they flung up blocks of apartments down there and let every sort into them, http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1187636

the link i posted would be very central it's just off the main street
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1264035

this one too just off main street

Get serious there's a lot more in Graiguecullen than those apartment blocks.

In fact I'd say there are many nicer areas to live over the bridge. Plenty of places you don't want to live in carlow town much like every other town.

That's just snobbery saying Graiguecullen is just full of apartments.

I bet I could say a few things about the area you live in if you'd care to post.

leeomurchu wrote: »
    Get serious there's a lot more in Graiguecullen than those apartment blocks.

In fact I'd say there are many nicer areas to live over the bridge. Plenty of places you don't want to live in carlow town much like every other town.

That's just snobbery saying Graiguecullen is just full of apartments.

I bet I could say a few things about the area you live in if you'd care to post.

yeah im going to give my address on here, and sure while im at it would you like my bank account details.

i know there is more to graigue than them apartments, but the girl was looking to know what areas were like so i gave my opinion

yeah im going to give my address on here, and sure while im at it would you like my bank account details.

i know there is more to graigue than them apartments, but the girl was looking to know what areas were like so i gave my opinion

No.. she asked what Graiguecullen was like and you brought up the apartments and the people living in them. I wonder if you even know anyone in them.

I'll agree yes they're an eye sore and you can thank Carlow town planners for that.

A lot more to Graiguecullen than you seem to know, personally I wouldn't live in the town but that's a different matter.

No.. she asked what Graiguecullen was like and you brought up the apartments and the people living in them. I wonder if you even know anyone in them.

I'll agree yes they're an eye sore and you can thank Carlow town planners for that.

A lot more to Graiguecullen than you seem to know, personally I wouldn't live in the town but that's a different matter.

there are many parts of carlow i would not live in again, that is one of them, im entitled to my opinion and i have lived in most parts of town so im well informed

there are many parts of carlow i would not live in again, that is one of them, im entitled to my opinion and i have lived in most parts of town so im well informed

Quite clearly you are in no way well informed. So yes you are entitled to your opinion but your opinion on graiguecullen is nonsense to be honest.

Quite clearly you are in no way well informed. So yes you are entitled to your opinion but your opinion on graiguecullen is nonsense to be honest.

ah yeah sure it's the garden of eden really

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pinkney121

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1214507 centaur court pretty safe considering people need a code to get in and beside a pub and beside dominos about 20-25 min walk from the train station and http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1229340 on tullow street(the main st in carlow) so close to everythin bout 10-15 mins away from the train station

Advertisement