Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Who Society College

Options
  • 26-09-2012 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi, I am in college at the moment and was really disappointed by the fact that there was no Doctor Who Society!
    I really want to set one up but I don't know what to include in it. Has anyone ever been a member of such a society in their own college, either now or in earlier years, that could give me advice?

Even if the answer is no I'd still love to hear peoples opinions on events and the like :D I just really love Doctor Who xD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

A friend of mine, a big Doctor Who fan, set up a Sci-Fi Society in his college. That would probably be your best bet as it would appeal to a wider audience

• Registered Users Posts: 22 callistofalk

Hi, yeah there is a Sci Fi society already but for some reason deals with everything but Doctor Who! It has Firefly, Torchwood and mainly anime things so I was looking to make a purely Doctor Who one (There is a number of other societies dedicated to TV shows and books eg Harry Potter Society) Thanks anyway :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Hi, yeah there is a Sci Fi society already but for some reason deals with everything but Doctor Who! It has Firefly, Torchwood and mainly anime things so I was looking to make a purely Doctor Who one (There is a number of other societies dedicated to TV shows and books eg Harry Potter Society) Thanks anyway :)

Why not join that one and ask for it to be included? You could put your hand up to organise the Who related events. Societies like that serve the interests of their members, so become one and have your interests served.

Having set up a soc in college, it's not as easy as just going to the SU and saying that you want to start one, you need to show that there will be enough of an uptake in the student body and you have to have clear plans about filling your year with regular events.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 callistofalk

Yeah thats a good idea there are many of us that want a particular society and I have experience runnign things like this. I was just stuck with ideas for events which is why I asked the question. Thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If you're stuck for ideas for events before you've even started, what'll happen next year?

You really are best going via the established Sci-Fi society for this: they'll have some level of funding in place, a large amount of members who can be relied on to turn up to some of the events you'd like to organise. If the Doctor Who stuff becomes big enough, it'll become it's own society in time, best start it under the auspices of one of the existing societies.

I was heavily involved with societies in college: one I co-founded as it's own entity from the word go and it died two years after I left college, the other had been running as part of a larger society for years, we grew it out into it's own society and since we've all left college it's grown from strength to strength (winning Society of the Year, competing at international events all over the world etc.).

• Advertisement
Advertisement