Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo infection

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

also, infections in tattoos are surprisingly rare. while tattooing does a lot of damage, it does so with very tiny holes that shut pretty quickly. I have had one infection in all the tattooing I have had done personally, and I have terrible ****ing skin.

Most of the time when someone comes into the shop thinking they have an infection, they are having a reaction to the clingfilm/bepanthen, shaving rash or plain old swelling from a long sit.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

it is. there are a number of schools of thought on the subject, and the various aspects of them cannot be mixed and matched without disaster.

When in doubt, do what your tattoo artist recommends. you have trusted this person to change your appearance for life, you should probably have faith in their aftercare instructions.

Not to argue with you since you have a lot more experience in this than me but what if that advice is wrong-ok maybe wrong being too harsh but what if that advice is something youre not happy with ?

For example the first time I was advised to use cling film something just didnt sit right with me...I was never happy with the amount of crap that leeches out of a tattoo when covered in cling film.

Ive also always had reactions to bepanthen,savlon always dried my skin out and vaseline always never sat right with me either....I did actually follow these instructions since they were from a "reputable" artist.

Some of the recommendations Ive had over the years from reputable artists are :

1.Clingfilm for upwards of 3 days.Cahnged every 3-4 hours.
    2.Vaseline for healing.
    3.Sudocreme for healing.
    4.Savlon for healing.
    5.Bepanthen for healing.
    6.Tattoo goo.
    7.Aloe vera.

None of these Ive been completely happy with and Im merely pointing out something that has worked for me and that I use all the time now based on the fact that a wound needs two things to heal :
    1: to be able to breath to heal and not smothered in clingfilm or some cream that may or may not have any benefits.
    and
    2.To be kept clean.

Theres way too much conflicting advice out there regarding healing and I agree with following the artists advice but if you find you get a reaction to that advice then try something else until you find a method that works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Hellrazer wrote: »
    1.Clingfilm for upwards of 3 days.Cahnged every 3-4 hours.

This is what I've been told by 2 of the 3 studios I've been to. Got tattoed sat and this time around I kept it wrapped Sat evening/night, left it open for majority of Sunday and only wrapped it again going to bed, and has been open again since then. Washing every 3-4 hours with hot water and fragrance free anti-bacterial soap, and a thin film of bepanthen. Will move on to e45 tomorrow I'd imagine. Healing well :)

Advertisement