Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Media Player/Streamer in Ireland

• 26-09-2012 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

What is the best media player/streamer on the market at the moment for Ireland?

Will be heading to the US in a couple of weeks and will look at Apple TV, Roku Player and Boxee - which works the best here? Gets the most content? Any others of use?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mparlion

I wonder if the BBC Iplayer works in the Republic of Ireland. The Roku ads show UK and Republic of Ireland. Can anyone confirm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

I dont think it works. I haven't seen it listed in the add channels section and I tried entering a few codes - with no luck.

I got my roku through maplin.co.uk, worked out about 30 cheaper than buying it in the shop, but being honest, I should have bought an Apple Tv.

I contacted Roku customer support directly, they sent me a list of channels available in Ireland... I don't see the point in buying it if they don't make more mainstream channels available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

mparlion wrote: »
    I wonder if the BBC Iplayer works in the Republic of Ireland. The Roku ads show UK and Republic of Ireland. Can anyone confirm?

It does via a vpn or DNS. You can google free ones, but i use a bought DNS from overplay. Works flawlessly - both for iPlayer but also for US Netflix, Vudu etc, only 2 or 3 euro a month.

Having said that I'm not sure if it works on Roku, I use it on Boxee.

thanks for the tip. The Roku setup is still a work in progress on their web site but I am keen to give it a try with other devices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭horse7

is rte tv3 etc available free with roku, it will save me buying a saorview box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

Get the cheapest Roku you can, I went for the most expensive and it was a waste. the difference in the specs that is. The device it's self is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭horse7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

ArthurG wrote: »
    It does via a vpn or DNS. You can google free ones, but i use a bought DNS from overplay. Works flawlessly - both for iPlayer but also for US Netflix, Vudu etc, only 2 or 3 euro a month.

Having said that I'm not sure if it works on Roku, I use it on Boxee.

Can you tell me how you go about changing the VPN settings? Is it automatic or do you have to do this each time you want to change from the UK to the US?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

silvine wrote: »
    Can you tell me how you go about changing the VPN settings? Is it automatic or do you have to do this each time you want to change from the UK to the US?

With Boxee using Unblock-us it's automatic. Uses UK DNS when you want BBC player and US when you want Netflix/ Pandora/ US content.

With any of the above I'd recommend a DDNS service, and for 5 canadian dollars per month unblock-us has served me well. YMMV.

Edit - if you're talking about a VPN service (rather than DNS) you need to connect to the relevant region (this can be done via settings in the Boxee Box)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

As above. I've actually put the DNS settings in my router, so all devices can use the settings (so Netflix US on iPad etc).

Don't bother with a VPN, you have to manually change the region every time you want to acces US or GB etc. The DNS works flawlessly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Can you recommend a DDNS provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

Anybody know where i can pick up a roku?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Anybody know where i can pick up a roku?

Amazon UK has it

Link: Roku 3 on Amazon

Just remember to get yourself aHDMI cable with it as it's not supplied. The Amazon basics HDMI is good and is only around 3 pounds.

Advertisement